2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Body, Chassis & Interior (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Hood Strut options? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136276)

CajunMach1 12-26-2017 03:59 AM

Hood Strut options?

Newb looking for advice on best hood strut kit option; reading back thru the old posts about the various brands I see several brands on these hood struts. Looking for the best overall kit and feedback from users that has these on their cars for longer than lets say 5 years, would prefer not to drill but thats not really an issue if push come to shove:
  • MRT no drill
  • Redline drill
  • Rousch (assume drill see rivets)
  • CDC

PLMK, thanks! :santa:

01yellerCobra 12-26-2017 12:11 PM

I've had MRT on three different cars. The first set was put on an 01 Cobra around 2006. As far as I know they're still working. The second set was put on an 06 back in 2012 and they're still kicking. And that set was used before we got it. The third set is the set that same on my 04. I bought the car in 2015 with them already installed.

It's safe to say my vote is MRT.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

311-420 12-26-2017 12:38 PM

Re: Hood Strut options?

I haven't had mine 5 yrs but my mrt work fine. Be careful removing the nuts from the hood. They're coated in paint and will bind easily. If they start to bind up, go back the other way for a few turns and then continue with loosening them. This may take a few times to get them off without stripping the hood where the studs go through. I would recommend doing this mod in warm weather. I also had to make a run to the hardware store for some slightly longer body bolts as the stock ones were not long enough to make up the extra distance created by the hood strut adapter plates that mount to the frame rail.

Thunderbolt 12-26-2017 02:12 PM

I doubt you'll have a problem with any of them. I've had the Redline on mine for at least 12 years.

JDraper 12-26-2017 03:50 PM

I've had MRT struts on my car for years. No problems whatsoever.

HAEG 12-27-2017 07:23 AM

I've had a single set of MRT hood struts on my car for at least 10 years and just recently have noticed the shocks are not holding up like they used to. I will buy them again, got my moneys worth.

jbrad88 12-27-2017 08:26 AM

Put the MRT ones on mine earlier in the year. Wish I had done so earlier...

easy install...could have purchased the no-name version for 10$ cheaper, but thought a little MRT item would be appropriate...shout out to Mr. Hoag kinda thing...:machgod:

CajunMach1 01-06-2018 03:42 PM

Picked up some SVE hood struts from LMR, they were on sale for $72 shipped and installed them today, piece of cake like y'all mentioned, only hairy part is worrying the hood studs don't break :bigeyes:, I used a 1/4 ratchet and took my time, needed one longer fender bolt also as y'all mentioned, only on drivers side, had an extra in my shop. Thrilled at how much easier it works now and how much cleaner engine compartment is.:horse:

03Shadow Grey 01-06-2018 10:00 PM

I went with the same set from LMR , worked out great.
I also read on here about the hood bolts and took a dremel tool with a wire brush on the threads before removal.

GONEN6T 01-07-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrad88 (Post 1629197)
Put the MRT ones on mine earlier in the year. Wish I had done so earlier...

easy install...could have purchased the no-name version for 10$ cheaper, but thought a little MRT item would be appropriate...shout out to Mr. Hoag kinda thing...:machgod:

Same here

CajunMach1 01-07-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1629338)
I went with the same set from LMR , worked out great.
I also read on here about the hood bolts and took a dremel tool with a wire brush on the threads before removal.

I think in my case and maybe others too, it depends on what size fender shim is between the fender and that clip the bolt screws into? YMMV

bris09 01-08-2018 08:52 PM

The SVE set is an exact copy of the MRT set. For a few more dollars, support the company that actually developed them. LMR also sells the MRT version so you can support both companies if you want.

LMR is a great company and I have bought quite of bit from them for the 93 so I have no issues with them. Truth be told though, if Scott (MRT) did more with the Foxbodies, I'd buy from him just because of the friendship we've formed over the years. He is developing an exhaust system for the Foxbody so I can ditch the Flowmasters.

All 3 Mustangs have MRT hood struts. The ones on the Mach have been on for almost 10 years and still work great.

not a gt 01-09-2018 12:05 AM

I got mine from American muscle probably 8 years ago...no issues to this day.

HAEG 03-20-2018 03:27 PM

Had a set of MRT hood struts installed them about 12 years ago, just replaced the pistons because they were not holding the hood up any longer. Got my $$$ and then some out of the MRT hood struts so bought another set. Also have a set on my GT500.