2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   notagt's 03 Ported Eaton/Cobra/T56 swap (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134373)

not a gt 12-06-2015 07:08 PM

notagt's 03 Ported Eaton/Cobra/T56 swap

Well, it is official, picked up an 03 Cobra motor with approx. 31K miles with a T56 from jared (Thanks!!).The motor has a Steigmeyer Stage 3 ported Eaton, 4lb lower, 2.96 upper, cooling mod, accufab TB, electric water pump, metco pullies, #60 lb injectors, etc. It came riding on a MM tubular K member (poly motor mounts) with hyper springs and Spec D coilover setup. T56 has 26 spline input shaft ( another disc has to go in ). It also came with a Cobra gas tank and MGW shifter. I am so excited !! My entire P1 setup is sold (will let buyer announce it if he/she so desires). Ok things gotten or ordered:

Gates Green blower belt
Inner MC drive belt
frozen boost type 118 heat exchanger
Throttle cable
2 Walbro "improved" GT pumps with socks
PPRV delete kit
Reische 170 themostat
Ford Racing TOB and pilot bearing
IC aluminum resvoir tank (thanks 01 yeller cobra)

the usual oil, tranny fluid, TR6 plugs etc.

I already have wire upgrade and BAP in Mach so with 2 pumps should be fine.Plan on using my harness and computer with additional wiring as needed since car came with a complete Cobra wiring Harness

Thanks to jamieR for having it at his shop and the hook up for the install.

I am hoping to hit 525/525 if possible and of course Bob "The Flying Hawaiian" Kurgan will handle tuning.

Just in case, a complete NOS setup minus the bottle came with the motor, even came with glove box with window switch and other components as well. Yes this was a truly incredible buy (standby for my winter blowout sale)

I will miss the P1 and will make last post on it..not patting my own back, but the P1SC was such a great thread because of ALL of you posting and sharing knowledge..be ashamed for it to just fade away..I feel it should be a sticky, so much info, thanks for a hell of a ride guys.For every end, there is a beginning...

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Ma...20Motor%20Swap

DSG2003Mach1 12-06-2015 10:05 PM

Re: notagt's 03 Ported Eaton/Cobra/T56 swap

as far as your harness and computer, like I mentioned in the other thread theres stuff like the separate IAT2 sensor. Also the built in T56 lockout stuff will not work with the Mach1 computer. There are other solutions to the issue but just pointing it out

not a gt 12-06-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1609420)
as far as your harness and computer, like I mentioned in the other thread theres stuff like the separate IAT2 sensor. Also the built in T56 lockout stuff will not work with the Mach1 computer. There are other solutions to the issue but just pointing it out

uh oh, you are scaring me with the tranny stuff :eyes:
Would Cobra computer work with Mach harness with any connectors spliced in as needed??

DSG2003Mach1 12-06-2015 10:16 PM

Why are you against using the cobra harness and computer? I know pats can be a pain but you have everything or just have it turned off. The trans will work but the integrated reverse lockout is nice. Accidentally going into reverse is possible instead of getting 5th. The lockout function makes it extremely difficult unless you're going like under 3mph and foot is on brake. An aftermarket solution is a little over $100

DSG2003Mach1 12-06-2015 10:18 PM

And there's no way to just splice them in, you'd have to run new wires all the way to the cobra pcm and pin them into the connector

not a gt 12-06-2015 10:24 PM

Dang, didn't know all of this..just looking at the harness laying on the floor looks like a nightmare..I hate electrical, I like aftermarket solutions, would have no idea where to look for something like this.

DSG2003Mach1 12-06-2015 10:30 PM

It's a t56 reverse lockout box.

Drop all your **** out the bottom, harness still on the engine then putting the terminator harness back on that engine will just be s copy cat operation largely. The new stuff should be self explanatory and you won't be able to hook up the wrong connectors anyway

DSG2003Mach1 12-06-2015 10:34 PM

If not in here I'm sure this swap has been covered at length in either modular fords or SVTP

not a gt 12-06-2015 11:21 PM

http://samocoind.com/T56%20ORDER%20FORM.html

01yellerCobra 12-06-2015 11:21 PM

To use the IAT2 sensor he just has to run wires from his current sensor placement to the IAT2 sensor on the lower intake. He might even be able to pull the wires from the loom and get them closer to the IAT2 sensor.

For the reverse lock out I ran one power wire from my brake light switch to the reverse solenoid on the trans. Then I grounded the other wire to the trans case. I even used a stock plug for the solenoid. I'd say that was easier than swapping a harness and dealing with PATs.

And to be honest, eventually my lock out was stuck open. I'm sure it just needed to be pulled apart and cleaned up, but I never bothered. I didn't have any issues down shifting from 6th to 5th. You just have to learn.

not a gt 12-06-2015 11:29 PM

Thanks guys, as well I found this post.Also, not sure but I think Mach's do not have IAT sensor at all in its wire, I was able to get it with the HPX since it had a pigtail that went to stock MAF plug in the Mach, I had to let the go with the P1..the post about lockout box

T56 LOCKOUT CONTROLLER UPDATE: Hey guys! OK, so I got my Samoco reverse lockout solenoid controller box today. It was great to see it on the porch when I got home this afternoon and I was so excited like a little kid at Christmas so I just had to put it in this evening. C'mon, you all know the feeling! It's exciting...but I'm not a shopaholic....yet! It took me about 45 minutes to do and most of that time was figuring out where I wanted to put the little black box and a little time sucking some down a couple of MGDs. I put mine under the dash on the glovebox side. I've never seen anything with such long wiring, seriously and I guess that's why it took me so long - such long wiring it gave me many options for where to put it. As a bonus it came with a fuse already installed in their wiring and also came with a bunch of zip ties and screws to mount. I didn't use the screws - I just ziptied mine into place against a wire loom on one end and to one of the plastic covers under the dash and I am sure it will never bounce around. Gotta say great, simple instructions that were real easy to follow. This little controller box is pretty sweet. I personally prefer OEM style solutions so this really made my day and beats anything else I was thinking of doing. It was so cool to drive around the block and see how it keeps you from even getting close to reverse unless you slow down slow really slow (about 5 MPH or so). So far so good...I absolutely love it and I think you will too. Definitely well worth the money. I spent a little over $3,000 on my trans, so I consider this an insurance policy against grinding reverse and thereby messing something up.

not a gt 12-06-2015 11:44 PM

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/....php?p=1596449

matthayn 12-07-2015 09:23 AM

No reverse lockout here, no problemo. Just don't try to put it in R instead of 5th lol! To me, reverse in a T56 feels like you could never accidently get there, I'm just about punching the passenger side console by the time it's in.

When doing my recent aluminator swap I found out I had both a mach 1 and cobra engine harness working together, half and half. If you have a cobra harness use it, things will go together much better with less kinks to worry about.

DSG2003Mach1 12-07-2015 10:26 AM

with the magnum T56 I had it wired to the brake light output as mentioned above and one morning still half asleep I had to tap the brakes while in 6th which meant I had to drop down into 5th and I damned near put it in reverse, wasnt hard to do at all. I have a lockout box now

ab_mach1 12-07-2015 12:43 PM

Congrats on the new project! Look forward to following along.

D&D Performance sells swap kits. Maybe you can buy just T56 harness setups from them..?

http://www.ddperformance.com/

DSG2003Mach1 12-07-2015 12:46 PM

he has the harnesses, problem is ONLY the 03/04 computer has the stuff in there for the reverse lockout. You can do it with the 03/04 computer or an aftermarket solution to make it work like factory

matthayn 12-07-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1609445)
with the magnum T56 I had it wired to the brake light output as mentioned above and one morning still half asleep I had to tap the brakes while in 6th which meant I had to drop down into 5th and I damned near put it in reverse, wasnt hard to do at all. I have a lockout box now

Yikes! Maybe I should look into one...

not a gt 12-07-2015 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, today I ordered a 26 spline Spec Stage3+ disc, got the copper washers for the anti-venom mod, ordered a tailshaft seal and all the fluids needed along with vacuum caps and T's. I got throttle cable, waiting on TOB, pilot bearing, twin Walbro, 2 socks, PPRV delete, MM caster/camber plates. I am gonna go with the lockout box..DSG, which wire did you get with it?

http://samocoind.com/T56%20ORDER%20FORM.html

I took her out today and used 3 cans of degreaser and pressure washer and got her ready, check it out, she looks like a dirt track car :D

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psvfhazruo.jpg

DSG2003Mach1 12-07-2015 09:46 PM

I don't remember but it's out in the garage. I ended up with two somehow. I could just mail that out to ya if ya want it

not a gt 12-07-2015 09:56 PM

I wonder if maybe you NEED 2??

This one:
12" LONG (2 WIRE) REVERSE SOLENOID CONNECTOR

AND this one:
12" LONG T56 (FORD 2 WIRE) VSS SPEED SENSOR CONNECTOR

I would think you just need the Ford wire????

I found an article on it, the top wire is universal, we use the Ford..go read if anyone interested

http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2014/...ut-controller/

DSG2003Mach1 12-07-2015 09:59 PM

Ya I wasn't paying attention, I ended up with with two reverse solenoid connectors

but ya you need a vss plug as well

not a gt 12-07-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1609473)
Ya I wasn't paying attention, I ended up with with two reverse solenoid connectors

but ya you need a vss plug as well

If I am reading this right, should need just the one pigtail:

One of the coolest, easy-to-install products I’ve seen all year and it’s affordable too with a retail of $99.99 with available universal and OEM-style GM or FoMoCoconnectors.

DSG2003Mach1 12-07-2015 10:10 PM

I can look at my instructions tomorrow if you want

not a gt 12-07-2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1609476)
I can look at my instructions tomorrow if you want

Man that would be great, I also sent the company a email.

not a gt 12-07-2015 10:26 PM

Man they are fast with customer service..salesman just sent this back

Larry you got it right. Those are the two pigtails you need to get in addition to the module.

So need 12" LONG T56 (FORD 2 WIRE) VSS SPEED SENSOR CONNECTOR
..and the 12" LONG (2 WIRE) REVERSE SOLENOID CONNECTOR.