2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Raising the Shaker - Step by Step (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5954)

03mach1 08-06-2003 10:55 PM

Raising the Shaker - Step by Step

Here is a little Tip I put together on HOW to RAISE your Shaker...

http://www.mach1registry.com/shaker

Hope this helps anyone thinking about it.!!

Stangfan 08-06-2003 11:37 PM

Thanks, Dave. I have printed out your instructions and will be raising my shaker very soon. Hopefully, my rattle will go away at the same time. :THUMBSUP:

IamI 08-11-2003 06:03 PM

My rattle came back with a vengeance. So I used 2 1/4 washers under the post to raise mine. The rattle is gone. I started to use 3 washers, but was not as concerned with height as I was with eliminating the rattle. Less stress on hood maybe with 2, looks great and solves rattle.

my 2 cents

Jim H. 08-15-2003 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by IamI
My rattle came back with a vengeance. So I used 2 1/4 washers under the post to raise mine. The rattle is gone. I started to use 3 washers, but was not as concerned with height as I was with eliminating the rattle. Less stress on hood maybe with 2, looks great and solves rattle.

my 2 cents

I had no rattle but raised the shaker this way. The washers eliminate the guesswork of remembering how many turns or getting the turns exact. Nothing worse than an uneven shaker.

codymach 09-15-2003 04:54 PM

I wanted to say thanks for the directions.... I raised the shaker and it really does look better to me.....It is noticeable and it fits perfectly with the lines of the car!

Bill Hamilton 09-28-2003 08:56 PM

Re: Raising the Shaker - Step by Step

What is the max safe amount to raise the shaker? I used a bunch of small washers and raised it about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. It also seemed to help the air intake sound as I got a "better" induction sound. It's probably just my imagination but I though it was pulling better in the 6,000 and up rpm range.

Anyway a few days later, I notice a place on the left drivers side near the front of the hood where the paint had flaked off. It's in the area that the rubber hood stops on the radiator support brace are mounted. I doubt there is any correlation between the two, but tomorrow I’m dropping it off at the dealers to be fixed so I removed the washers just in case raising the shaker had placed additional strain on the hood there. Like I said, I doubt it, but better safe than sorry with warrantee work.

Well after lowering the shaker, my “good sound” and little extra “oomph” at 6,000 rpms is gone. Call me crazy, but there might be something to this other than looks.

dock44 10-14-2003 05:23 PM

For anyone who might be interested - when attempting to raise my shaker I stripped one of the ball studs. At the time I didn't have a 15mm combo wrench and tried to use an adjustable wrench and rounded one off. I called my local Ford parts and they wanted $57 for a single ball stud. I said no and called CDC(Classic Design Concepts). They were very nice and offered to mail me a single ball stud for $15 shipped, so you can get 4 balls studs from CDC for a little more than Ford wants for a single ball stud. The CDC studs also have a torx bit head on the flat top portion of the stud so there are two ways to remove them if you have a torx bit set. The Ford ball studs are solid and smooth on the top. Just a note for you all.

H1RESQ 10-14-2003 06:04 PM

Will the dealer do it for you if you take it in for the rattle? Didn't quite know why you guys were raising it until just now. I heard the rattle on mine for the first time 2 days after I bought it (day before yesterday).

Bill Hamilton 10-15-2003 09:11 AM

Well I got my Mach back with the hood repainted and it looks great. That being said, once I got home I (re-) raised my shaker again. This time I used some rubber washers and raised it about half an inch. Nothing appears to hitting, rubbing, or rattling. On the drive home I just didn't get that moaning, groaning, loving, intake sound or feel the pull. Once I got it raised again......it's back.....the beautiful sound and the slightly extra "ummph".

Call me crazy :MADNOEL: but it feels like something more to me. Maybe raising it the half inch puts it more into the slipstream, I don't know but I swear there is more pull in the upper rpm ranges. :THUMBSUP:

sharp4.6 10-17-2003 08:31 AM

Raised shaker, some problems

Thanks to the tip by 03Mach1, I raised my shaker, use caution on the ball studs, I didn't know they were plastic, when I finished, and screwed them back down with an open end wrench I felt the wrench slip, rounding off one corner, so be safe and use the box end to losen and tighten, the plastic studs. I used three ss washers (which are thinner than steel) which raised it about 1\4 inch, which was perfect for me, it put it even with the front of the hood.

Before and after raising it, the shaker was lower on the right side,
being anal retentive about my car it was driving me nuts!

Not wanting to put any more stress on the plastic studs, by putting more washers under that side I raised the ball stud plate with 3 ss washers under the front bolt, between the alum. mounting bracket and the ball stud plate, and a large thick washer under the flat thick adjustment plate.

Put the shaker back on, it was perfect!

JesseBolt 01-12-2004 12:02 PM

Re: Raised shaker, some problems

Quote:

Originally posted by sharp4.6
Before and after raising it, the shaker was lower on the right side, being anal retentive about my car it was driving me nuts!

Not wanting to put any more stress on the plastic studs, by putting more washers under that side I raised the ball stud plate with 3 ss washers under the front bolt, between the alum. mounting bracket and the ball stud plate, and a large thick washer under the flat thick adjustment plate.

Put the shaker back on, it was perfect!

Thanks for your post 'sharp4.6'. Having just raised my shaker, I raised the right side more to level the shaker. Now, the bottom of the shaker opening is also even with the top of the hood. Without reading you post, I might not have paid attention to getting the shaker level.

JB
Greenville, NC
:horse:

sharp4.6 01-12-2004 12:13 PM

Glad to help.

mach1dsg 02-10-2004 03:53 PM

i'll raise the shaker this weekend. i'm getting crazy because of this rattle.

where are you guys getting this washers from???
what size???
do you guys have some pics of the washers you're using???

thanks

mach1dsg 02-11-2004 03:00 AM

i did it tonight. looks awesome.
i used some washers i had already,no more shaker rattles :COOL:

thanks for all the pics and explanation :THUMBSUP:

ShakerMach1 02-13-2004 11:21 PM

Thanks for the shaker raise info Dave. Love it! I did it almost 300 miles ago. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 each 5/16" jam nuts which measured 3/16" thick. This brought the bottom edge of the shaker even with the hood. It also gave the shaker a more noticeable mean look. I have not found any abnormal wear points on the hood and don't forsee any. Great mod.

Mach on!!! Doug

:gears:

machGT 03-02-2004 03:58 PM

I don't believe the ball studs are plastic. Looks like aluminum to me, this will of course be softer then your typical connector strength steel.

2k4mk1 03-02-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by H1RESQ
Will the dealer do it for you if you take it in for the rattle? Didn't quite know why you guys were raising it until just now. I heard the rattle on mine for the first time 2 days after I bought it (day before yesterday).
YES I had mine done last week at the dealer. I did not ask them to but I can tell by how it fits against the hood and the appearance from the drivers seat that they did in fact raise it ever so slightly. A good thing I beleive cuz the seal against the hood looks tighter now.:COOL:

yellow mach1 05-31-2004 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 03mach1
Here is a little Tip I put together on HOW to RAISE your Shaker...

http://www.mach1registry.com/shaker

Hope this helps anyone thinking about it.!!

Thanks Dave, I will give it a try. A buddy of mine raised his shaker and WOW!!! it does look awesome.

Tom

TerryJ 06-17-2004 11:12 AM

Rattler...

had the rattle since day one.......only at idle with the engine warm though..got the parts numbers from the TSB. at first the service department said "they" would do it for me for free, but if i wanted just the parts...$26.00 apiece.....times 4...?.WTF.....so i went to the sevice manager.
he told the sevice rep to "write it up" and give me the parts..not alot of difference in rubber compounds between the 2.originals kinda feel like a silicon and the replacements were rubber...think i could have got away with using the originals and a dab of bearing grease inside the bushing....which i used anyway...had to raise it 3/8 of an inch while i was in there..:) .....great mod....thank god no more rattle...

steven 09-20-2004 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IamI

my 2 cents

there is a thing on this site for that!

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/car...mach111303.htm

:THUMBSUP:

Walt 10-18-2004 03:59 PM

Re: Raised shaker, some problems

Quote:

Originally posted by sharp4.6

I, too, had thought about raising the entire main plate instead of just unscrewing each ball stud. Though, instead of using washers, I thought about using body shims. These are "U" shaped, and can be inserted between the main plate and the front/rear mounting brackets by just loosening the bolts (instead of having to completely remove the bolts as washers would require).

macher03 11-27-2004 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by steven
there is a thing on this site for that!

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/car...mach111303.htm

:THUMBSUP:

Thanks, Steven! I'm going to talk to my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer and see what they'll do!! ;)

Mark

steven 11-27-2004 10:16 PM

:LAUGH:

steven 11-27-2004 10:35 PM

Re: Re: Raising the Shaker - Step by Step

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Hamilton
Call me crazy
your crazy:LAUGH: :LAUGH: but i do think ur right about more to it than looks.

MyMach03 11-02-2005 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info Dave.