2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Opinions (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136432)

jbrad88 04-21-2018 06:23 PM

Opinions

So, my random parts generator (that part of the brain that constantly is search for new stuff to do to your car) has been focusing on headers lately.

I have wanted to do long tubes on the car for a number of years, especially after a somewhat fateful ride in Jester's car years back. He has 4.30's, kooks 1 3/4 long tubes with cats, and a good tune. that combo went 12.02 @ 112mph with little drama...

I need convincing...

Price vs Quality.

Normally a no-brainer...

Considerations.
1.) car is a weekend driver. (and anytime i can get into it)
2.) not a track warrior and won't be for the foreseeable future
3.) incline into my garage almost scrapes now
4.) Ceramic Coating is a must. fried too many clutch cables with my uncoated long-tubes in my old fox...became a yearly maintenance item on the car.
5.) want to run 1 5/8 primaries, because frankly I don't believe a stock or near stock engine needs 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 primary tubes.
6.) Have to have Cats.

So, looking into the following

Lethal Performance has the Mac 1 5/8 ceramic coated long tubes with a catted X-pipe for just under 1000.00 shipped.

I Priced 1 5/8 Kooks with ceramic coating and a catted x pipe for @ 1650.00 from a place called Maryland Speed.

LMR has the American Racing 1 3/4 UNCOATED long tubes with cats for @ 1650.00, but I have to pay tax on those since they are in Texas also.

I have read that Mac's tuck up better than any of the others (including BBK)

Kooks seem to hang lower

ARH seem to be somewhere between the two.

So, from a cost vs. quality issue, i know the ARH and Kooks are the true stainless steel, where Mac uses a mild steel tubing.

The price difference between the Mac's and everything else would go towards the tune, and some other things, like replacing the motor mounts, gaskets, etc..

I will be doing the installation with a friend of mine (misery loves company)

Anyway. Since some of us have been around a while, just thought i would get some first hand thoughts and experiences...Price, vs Quality, vs fit to the car, etc...

appreciate the feedback. sorry so long...

DSG2003Mach1 04-21-2018 08:55 PM

Re: Opinions

ground clearance with my Kooks is shitty, I wouldn’t buy them again

I’ve heard Mac tuck pretty tight but I think the 3650 means loosening the pass side to get the trans out

311-420 04-21-2018 09:01 PM

I've had the macs for 6 yrs but I will change them for arh 1 3/4 eventually. The ceramic coating on the macs will peel once they're hit with rain and condensation from the a/c system. Then the surface rust begins. In the engine bay they're still new looking, however. They also hang lower on the drivers side than the passengers side (the collector to x pipe flange has self-clearanced itself a number of times).

Sound and performance are awesome, and they're also cheap. But they have flaws.

jbrad88 05-05-2018 11:10 AM

Well,

I did it.

Contacted a place called Maryland Speed. While chatting with their rep, they gave me a discount on the Kooks that i just could not pass up.

Have 1 5/8 Kooks coming with the catted x pipe. Ceramic Coated, for just a few hundred more than a the same set up using Mac from Lethal Performance.

Was seriously looking at the Mac's for the cost, but for @ 300.00 more, it was a no-brainer...

Not looking forward to the install, but...Looking forward to the results...

just thought I would update...

Phil 05-05-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrad88 (Post 1631003)
Well,

I did it.

Contacted a place called Maryland Speed. While chatting with their rep, they gave me a discount on the Kooks that i just could not pass up.

Have 1 5/8 Kooks coming with the catted x pipe. Ceramic Coated, for just a few hundred more than a the same set up using Mac from Lethal Performance.

Was seriously looking at the Mac's for the cost, but for @ 300.00 more, it was a no-brainer...

Not looking forward to the install, but...Looking forward to the results...

just thought I would update...

Here's a thread I did many yrs ago installing long tube headers. Maybe something in the thread will help you tackle this if your planning on doing it in your garage, like I did.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=33586

jbrad88 05-06-2018 09:54 PM

Thank you. I was thinking of doing that too if I don’t wimp out...LOL

BONESTOCK 05-07-2018 05:48 PM

Good thread!