2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Installing Manual Fan Override Switch (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63218)

Uloset 04-05-2007 02:02 PM

Installing Manual Fan Override Switch

Hey I'm probably gona race the mach this season finally broken in enough for me 10,000 miles. Just wondering on how to add a radiator fan override switch? While still keeping the normal functionality of the cooling fans when the switch is turned off. Figured after a run I'd blast the heat and turn the fans on while I was headed back to the staging lanes. I really don't like the idea of turning the car off with very hot coolant just laying around at least this way I could cool it a little before shutting it down and opening up the hatch.

YellowMenace 04-05-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Installing Manual Fan Override Switch

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/499.shtml

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechAppl...fan_switch.pdf

The second one is better IMO. I used to have a link to a version with a picture of the wire in question but I can't find it anymore.
Also, they talk about cutting some insulation off. I used a squeeze connector. There are also now some connectors from posi-lock that can twist and vampire tap the wire. I have used the straight through version and they are really good.

http://www.posi-lock.com/

Uloset 04-09-2007 09:16 AM

thanks for the help

MyLittlePony 04-09-2007 09:23 AM

I would do a switch with a light too....just to remind you to turn it off when you leave the car for a length of time.

It would suck to come out and have a dead battery.

I have a freind with a VW Carrado and it has an aux electric water pump
that works with the fan AFTER the car is shut off....it actually circulates the fluid to cool down evenly. THAT would be a slick set up.

Uloset 04-09-2007 10:06 AM

I found a link with the wire that needs to be tapped figured I'd put it here for anyone else interested in the mod.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Cooling_Fan...ide_Switch.htm

Phil 04-09-2007 10:30 AM

http://socalterminators.com/forums/s...&threadid=1597

Uloset 04-09-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 776104)
ummmmmm.................welcome to 2000:tongue: ;)
You need to follow James's links.

Just put it up so anyone interested would know what the wire looked like and its general location among all the others plus, what's the difference if its old still the same exact process.

03AV8R 04-09-2007 10:18 PM

I love my manual fan switch.. Next to the E-W/P itself its prolly the easiest & nicest thing to have sitting there as you fly thru the traps or in the staging lanes. :)

3150Mach1 04-10-2007 06:21 AM

So if you wire up one of these switches does that mean when it is in the off position that it will not turn on at its designated temp setting. Bascially it becomes totaly dependent upon the switch or will it still work via the temp setting?

YellowMenace 04-10-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP (Post 776671)
So if you wire up one of these switches does that mean when it is in the off position that it will not turn on at its designated temp setting. Bascially it becomes totaly dependent upon the switch or will it still work via the temp setting?

All the switch does is provide ground for a relay that is usually controlled by the computer. When turned ON it bypasses the computer's control and forces the fan on. When turned OFF, it returns control to the computer so the fan will work just like it did before the mod.

Uloset 04-10-2007 10:07 AM

Can't go wrong with this mod extremely cheap and easy to do plus you get to have a switch where that stupid coin holder was so you can trick all you friends into thinking you have nitrous.

3150Mach1 04-10-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowMenace (Post 776709)
All the switch does is provide ground for a relay that is usually controlled by the computer. When turned ON it bypasses the computer's control and forces the fan on. When turned OFF, it returns control to the computer so the fan will work just like it did before the mod.

Well then its a no brainer. I have an extra switch left over from my N20 install. I also have a left over indicator light. Just need to see if I can find room on the armrest switch panel. If not will have to find another spot. My coin holder slot is used for Over drive button so can't use that. Sounds like a weekend project for me. Love this crap.

3150Mach1 04-10-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 776104)
ummmmmm.................welcome to 2000:tongue: ;)
You need to follow James's links.

This one right?
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechAppl...fan_switch.pdf

3150Mach1 04-10-2007 08:01 PM

Another question. Could you use a lighted swtich. The ones that have 3 poles. They say Power-ACC-Ground. Would that work if I ran a switched 12V source to the power side?

YellowMenace 04-11-2007 08:47 AM

I don't know about a lighted switch since they are usually for switching the power side of the circuit, then you run the third pole (for the light) to ground. In this case you're switching the ground side of the circuit. I don't think it'd work. I personally think the light is unneccessary anyway.

Uloset 04-11-2007 10:04 AM

I was thinking about adding a light to my setup using just a regular SPST switch from RadioShack and then having a led light when the fans were turned on. But to add a light the switch has to be a DPST so it can turn two circuits on and off one for the fan and the other for the light but I haven't been able to get my hands on a double pole switch and matches the look and feel of the interior.

YellowMenace 04-11-2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uloset (Post 777546)
I was thinking about adding a light to my setup using just a regular SPST switch from RadioShack and then having a led light when the fans were turned on. But to add a light the switch has to be a DPST so it can turn two circuits on and off one for the fan and the other for the light but I haven't been able to get my hands on a double pole switch and matches the look and feel of the interior.

If you hooked up a light and a relay in parallel on the SPST switch and the relay controlled the grounding of the green/purple wire, you could get away with that type of switch. Perhaps a little overly complicated but I'm assuming you have found a SPST switch that you like the look of.

Uloset 04-11-2007 11:50 AM

Yea found a few SPST's actualy but I'll haven't really looked around for a DPST much so we'll se what happenes but thanks for the idea because I might just go the route.

3150Mach1 04-11-2007 03:09 PM

Going to do this on Saturday. Wish me luck.

3150Mach1 04-14-2007 01:19 PM

OK. Got it done. It was pretty easy. Hawk verified that the instructions was talking about the correct wire. His notes below:

"OK, I checked out the schematic for ours, and yes, the wire you want is the Light green with violet stripe, coming off pin 46 of the main PCM connector (C175).

Grounding that wire will engage the high speed fan relay regardless of the PCM signal. So wire a switch from that lead to ground.

You can turn the switch "on" and the fan will run at high speed as long as the ignition is turned to "run". If the switch is "off", the PCM again controls the fan."

It runs just like he says.

hawk 04-14-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP (Post 779500)
It runs just like he says.

- ;)

3150Mach1 04-14-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk (Post 779509)
- ;)

;) ;) ;)

badappl 06-04-2007 04:42 PM

I did this mod last weekend, works great. I installed a toggle switch inside the center console arm rest box, on the pass side of the power outlet. I have to raise the center console arm rest to get to the switch but it isnt that big a deal.