2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course & Autocross (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1 (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135185)

Bruisbe 05-22-2016 07:38 AM

First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

So I found a local SCCA club here in Peoria Illinois that I decided to join because they had an event out in Mossville Illinois in the Caterpillar parking lot...

There were a total of 49 cars that showed up. Several Z06's, 350z's, and even a dodge viper...I was in heat 2 so I worked corner 2 of the track the first half of the day and seeing these cars speed by me literally 25 feet away was very awe inspiring.

After lunch I got my car prepped and headed over to the grid. NERVOUS AS HELL!!!! I had a total of 7 runs for the day, unfortunately due to user error on my part, I did not make sure my dash cam was fully charged so I only got my first run recorded.

Click Here for Video!!!

My first and worst run was 66.8 seconds.

I improved each run except for my 4th run when I got cocky in turn 2 and braked a little late and smoked a cone. I still ran a 63.2 that run so even with the 2 second penalty I was quicker than my slowest time.

My final and best run was a 60.685, so I improved on the track by about 6.2 seconds, which I am totally happy with. This was my first time ever legally racing/pushing the car to its limits and I had a wonderful time!!!

Already trying to plan the next event...lol

bris09 05-25-2016 06:56 PM

Re: First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

Looks like you need some stickier tires. Also consider a set of Hawk HP+ pads for better braking. If you want less brake dust you can go with the HPS pads. While they don't stop as good as the HP+ pads they do generate quite a bit less dust. After riding in nekasrof's car a few times, I decided to go with the 2000 Cobra R front brake setup for even more braking power. Also consider weld in full length sub-frame connectors if you don't already have them. Avoid changing gears in the rear as that bumps you into the Street Mod class which you will need quite a bit more work to compete in that class.

Bruisbe 05-29-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1619384)
Looks like you need some stickier tires. Also consider a set of Hawk HP+ pads for better braking. If you want less brake dust you can go with the HPS pads. While they don't stop as good as the HP+ pads they do generate quite a bit less dust. After riding in nekasrof's car a few times, I decided to go with the 2000 Cobra R front brake setup for even more braking power. Also consider weld in full length sub-frame connectors if you don't already have them. Avoid changing gears in the rear as that bumps you into the Street Mod class which you will need quite a bit more work to compete in that class.

Thanks for the advise...I had to get over the feeling of needing to smash the gas pedal at all times...That was by far my worst run of the day...Improved by a total of 6 seconds between my first run and my last run, Unfortunately my first and worst run was the only one that I could record because Im an idiot and forgot to make sure my dashcam was charged...

The class that I have been put in is the CAM (Classic American Muscle) class due to most of the suspension work and the fact that I do have 4.10's in it.

I am racing up in Moline Illinois on June 19th and while it will be a different course, I think I will be worlds better this time around just because I will have a better understanding on how to approach the course from the start!!!

03Shadow Grey 05-29-2016 10:01 PM

ok, if that was my first time I would be nervous too.Having said that , that looks fun as Hell!! I wish they had something like that down here. Looks to me like you did a great job , just keep that camera charged,lol. Loved the video.

Bruisbe 05-31-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1619474)
ok, if that was my first time I would be nervous too.Having said that , that looks fun as Hell!! I wish they had something like that down here. Looks to me like you did a great job , just keep that camera charged,lol. Loved the video.

Take a look at www.scca.com and search to see if they have any events in your area.

I ran 7 runs that day and my final run was 60.685 seconds, so once my nerves calmed down and I learned the course better, I did shave 6 seconds of that run in the video...

There is another event in Moline illinois (about 1.5 hours from me) that I am going to go to on June 19th...so I will totally make sure the camera is fully charged and ready to go for that one.

AND YES, it was fun as HELL!!! Nothing like being able to push your car to the max in a legal and safe environment.

BONESTOCK 05-31-2016 03:08 PM

Nice man!! My races are usually in the low 11 second time! Ha! ;)

Bruisbe 05-31-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BONESTOCK (Post 1619522)

Theres a different in doing a 1/4 mile and your 11 second time and autocrossing...lol...

But if you leave that detail out...then you are going to have to explain the superpowered suspension you have..lol

BONESTOCK 05-31-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruisbe (Post 1619524)
Theres a different in doing a 1/4 mile and your 11 second time and autocrossing...lol...

But if you leave that detail out...then you are going to have to explain the superpowered suspension you have..lol

Haha! :butt:

hotrodnut 06-01-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1619474)
I wish they had something like that down here.

A couple years ago I was working in Theodore and found some SCCA Autocrosses out on highway 90 at "Sunny South Raceway" near Grand Bay.

03Shadow Grey 06-01-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodnut (Post 1619541)
A couple years ago I was working in Theodore and found some SCCA Autocrosses out on highway 90 at "Sunny South Raceway" near Grand Bay.

Thanks , Ill have to check on that ! I talked to a friend at work about this post and he has been in a few in this area. He also told me I wont be very competitive with the type of cars ill be facing but who cares , looks like a blast !!

Bruisbe 06-02-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1619569)
Thanks , Ill have to check on that ! I talked to a friend at work about this post and he has been in a few in this area. He also told me I wont be very competitive with the type of cars ill be facing but who cares , looks like a blast !!

If you go there expecting to compete, then you throw fun out the window.

By that I mean, sure I wanted to do good and sure I wanted to compete, however I also wanted to have fun. In the specific class that I got put in, I feel that I did well for my first time and learned a ton about how my car handles, that to me was worth way more than winning a plaque.

Things I learned:
- You can compete with a Z06 - Heres why. A Z06 is pushing what 550+ HP, who cares the fastest you will ever get on a course will be around 55-60Mph.
- Its more about driver skill and how well they know their car
- For the specific course that I ran, I was able to ride 2nd gear the entire time, this allowed me to focus on navigating the course and not shifting
- You NEVER have to floor the gas. Slow is faster because if you floor it and lose traction, you lose time.
- A 150 HP car has every bit of a chance to win as a Z06 because the 150HP car just needs to get around the turns and can often do so without sliding around.

If you end up finding several events that you are able to attend, then I recommend getting a SCCA membership because most, if not all events give discounts to SCCA members, therefore it will pay for itself overtime.

Another thing that is required is a SCCA approved helmet. Most events have ones there that you can borrow for your race, however not guarenteed.

But yea...go out there...pay your money...see some awesome cars upclose...leave some rubber on the track...ride along with a more experienced driver for that OHHHH S**T moment...pick the brain of someone that has been doing it for awhile and have fun...I must say...I am addicted after just one event...lol

hotrodnut 06-03-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruisbe (Post 1619582)
If you go there expecting to compete, then you throw fun out the window.

By that I mean, sure I wanted to do good and sure I wanted to compete, however I also wanted to have fun. In the specific class that I got put in, I feel that I did well for my first time and learned a ton about how my car handles, that to me was worth way more than winning a plaque.

Things I learned:
- You can compete with a Z06 - Heres why. A Z06 is pushing what 550+ HP, who cares the fastest you will ever get on a course will be around 55-60Mph.
- Its more about driver skill and how well they know their car
- For the specific course that I ran, I was able to ride 2nd gear the entire time, this allowed me to focus on navigating the course and not shifting
- You NEVER have to floor the gas. Slow is faster because if you floor it and lose traction, you lose time.
- A 150 HP car has every bit of a chance to win as a Z06 because the 150HP car just needs to get around the turns and can often do so without sliding around.

If you end up finding several events that you are able to attend, then I recommend getting a SCCA membership because most, if not all events give discounts to SCCA members, therefore it will pay for itself overtime.

Another thing that is required is a SCCA approved helmet. Most events have ones there that you can borrow for your race, however not guarenteed.

But yea...go out there...pay your money...see some awesome cars upclose...leave some rubber on the track...ride along with a more experienced driver for that OHHHH S**T moment...pick the brain of someone that has been doing it for awhile and have fun...I must say...I am addicted after just one event...lol

Good advice, spoken like a pro! :yes:

Like you said, learning how your car handles and having fun makes it all worth while.

I remember some of my favorite times was when the police would stop in and watch, something about driving to the max in front of them made my day! :gears:

Bruisbe 06-03-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodnut (Post 1619624)
Good advice, spoken like a pro! :yes:

Like you said, learning how your car handles and having fun makes it all worth while.

I remember some of my favorite times was when the police would stop in and watch, something about driving to the max in front of them made my day! :gears:

Last week I had my work laptop stolen out of my other vehicle and of course had to file a police report. Cop was super cool and after we got done talking about the "official stuff" we were walking back out front and he saw my car ramps by the Mach.

He goes "Working on the car" and that got us talking about the car and how he used to have a Camero that he liked to run around in. I was telling him about the race and I go "It's nice to be able to push your car to the max in a legal and safe environment."

He looked at me for a second and I almost swear he wanted to make a comment about making sure I kept it that way...lol

j rick kirby 08-24-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BONESTOCK (Post 1619522)

Mine are generally a little under 2 minutes.

mikeracing 04-17-2017 07:06 PM

If your near chicago check out mscc midwestern sports car coucil. They run a private racing club and they are awsome to race with. They do high speed autocross , in the morning its a open track /pde and the afternoon is usually 3 tt runs from a standing start on the course.