2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause. (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74655)

tmhutch 09-16-2009 10:42 PM

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

1) Remove and measure your current belt with stock damper/pulley's.

2) Wrap a string around the damper and pulleys, leaving the tensioner in the relaxed position. Note the difference in inches between the string and your stock belt.

3) Install new pulleys, wrap string and get measurement. Subtract amount wrote down from step two and that is the new belt length you need.

UIN2IT 11-13-2009 03:33 PM

Still debating the CobraR Alt & PS pulley's...
What kinda gains will I see from them!?
You think it is worth the Cost?
How hard is install?

Stopsign32v 11-13-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UIN2IT (Post 1221225)
Still debating the CobraR Alt & PS pulley's...
What kinda gains will I see from them!?
You think it is worth the Cost?
How hard is install?

You would probably see no gains at all.

R-code17815 11-13-2009 05:09 PM

OMG, this thread is still going???

This is just people not able to make a "small" decision for themselves....and/or some people just love to argue no matter what.

BOTTOM LINE....

If your spooked, or have second thoughts about it, Don't run them!!!!
99% of the time it's only gonna net ya under 10hp anyways. I don't think 10hp is even gonna get you half a 10th in the quater.

Yes, some of us have had them on for years with no issues but, If your not as confident as some of us, JUST DON"T BUY THEM...

Sorry to be prick but how many of these threads are we gonna have over the years????? The results never change...the arguments never change.:crazy:

tmhutch 11-14-2009 01:38 PM

I believe he's talking about the pullies, not the balancer. Accessory pullies dont have any issues that would cause concern other than the alternator not charging until the engine reaches 1800'ish RPM.

The alt and PS pullies will probably net you about 3 - 5 horsepower. For some people that can be substantial. From a cost per dollar standpoint it is right in line or better than most other mods. At a certain point in the quest for more horsepower it becomes more about many small improvements.

Stopsign32v 11-14-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-code17815 (Post 1221256)
OMG, this thread is still going???

This is just people not able to make a "small" decision for themselves....and/or some people just love to argue no matter what.

BOTTOM LINE....

If your spooked, or have second thoughts about it, Don't run them!!!!
99% of the time it's only gonna net ya under 10hp anyways. I don't think 10hp is even gonna get you half a 10th in the quater.

Yes, some of us have had them on for years with no issues but, If your not as confident as some of us, JUST DON"T BUY THEM...

Sorry to be prick but how many of these threads are we gonna have over the years????? The results never change...the arguments never change.:crazy:

So why did you both with wasting your time typing all of that? If there have been quite a few threads about this then surely anything you say has been said before. So why are you wasting your time? :confused:

Black Widow 12-12-2009 07:57 PM

Thanks for clearing this up I was going to buy them but now forget it. 15 HP is not worth the headache.

WhiteautoMach 12-14-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 1230461)
Thanks for clearing this up I was going to buy them but now forget it. 15 HP is not worth the headache.

More like 3-6 hp.

rich1 12-14-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1231159)
More like 3-6 hp.

Mine were installed and Dynoed the same day 10hp and 12tq been on 2 yrs now BUT the rev limiter is set to 6,200 and an Auto dont miss shifts and using a cast crank !:23:

na svt 12-15-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1231159)
More like 3-6 hp.

I got 12 from from the March fluid dampener.

WhiteautoMach 12-15-2009 10:06 PM

Mine didn't seem to help much, didn't dyno them though.

Phil 12-16-2009 02:09 AM

What spark plugs can I run with underdrive pulleys???

04machwon22 12-20-2009 07:55 PM

off topic....

has anyone had any trouble with udp recently.... i mean that are sfi approved steeda is anyway

PCPRO 12-20-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04machwon22 (Post 1232651)
off topic....

has anyone had any trouble with udp recently.... i mean that are sfi approved steeda is anyway

I'm running the Steeda balancer, Steeda W/P pulley, Cobra R Alt. pulley, and Cobra R P/S pulley without any problems whatsoever.

ponygt65 12-21-2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCPRO (Post 1232678)
I'm running the Steeda balancer, Steeda W/P pulley, Cobra R Alt. pulley, and Cobra R P/S pulley without any problems whatsoever.

I never understood that. No offense honest, because I've always enjoyed your feedback, but how are you supposed to knwo if you have problems? There's no way to really tell. Unless you are pulling the gears and checking them out every so often.

I guess going through your old oil with a fine tooth comb upon oil changes? Never thought of that one? :23:

PCPRO 12-21-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygt65 (Post 1232733)
I never understood that. No offense honest, because I've always enjoyed your feedback, but how are you supposed to knwo if you have problems? There's no way to really tell. Unless you are pulling the gears and checking them out every so often.

I guess going through your old oil with a fine tooth comb upon oil changes? Never thought of that one? :23:

You're right, of course I don't pull the oil pump every so often and check the gears on it. Let me rephrase; my pump hasn't failed since running the Steeda balancer.
I was worried that running the underdrive Steeda damper in combination with the Cobra-R alternator pulley would cause battery charging probems, but none whatsoever.
In Sean Hyland's book, he of course reccomends staying away from underdrive pulleys, but then in the back of the book he has a series of engine recipes for different horsepower levels. Every one of these recipes includes the Steeda damper....what kind of sense does that make?...lol.

ModularSpeed 12-22-2009 07:21 PM

I have a March FluidDamper for sale.....

nelos04 01-03-2010 03:35 AM

First of all sorry for adding onto to this tread, but I haven't seen this yet. How would a lighter flywheel affect engine with UDP's and/or without them?? just curious.

PCPRO 01-03-2010 07:18 AM

No problems here :3amin:

nelos04 01-03-2010 03:46 PM

:eek: alum fly what's the weight on that thing? did you notice any difference on the torque loss?

tmhutch 01-08-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelos04 (Post 1236832)
First of all sorry for adding onto to this tread, but I haven't seen this yet. How would a lighter flywheel affect engine with UDP's and/or without them?? just curious.

Lighter flywheel absorbs fewer crankshaft harmonics.

WhiteautoMach 01-08-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhutch (Post 1238225)
Lighter flywheel absorbs fewer crankshaft harmonics.

Are you sure?

WhiteautoMach 01-08-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1238245)
Yes, he's sure.

So I shouldn't get a lighter flywheel?