2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

falcongtho3 07-09-2007 07:11 AM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 820654)
Finally watched the race on DVR (had to pick my Mom up at the airport last night d'oh) and have to say that was one hell of a great race. Wreck fest and a photo finish?!? WOW!! :worship: About frickin' time I watched an exciting race!

Very exciting! I have to say that for the last 5 or 6 laps I was literally on the edge of my seat (couch)! This race delivered excitement that I haven't seen in a long time...and we need the COT, why?
:borg:

gvervoren 07-09-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 820394)
I reject the notion that Big E got special treatment from NASCAR, he was given respect for his leadership.

Don't get me wrong. I don't feel he got special treatment back then but if he were racing a couple of years back from now, let's say like in 2004 or so, he probably would have. The same way Jr. was getting away with stuff that he shouldn't have. I don't believe that is happening now though. NOT EVEN WITH HENDRICKS!!!!! I just think that if big E. were still alive and racing like he was, he would have lost a lot of respect from drivers just because he raced so dirty back then. Look at all the talk from this past race even. When Stewart took out Hamlin. Everybody says he's an idiot(including myself) but that is how big E. raced all the time. I just don't think it would be tolerated now days and he wouldn't be as succesful as he was.

birdman941 07-09-2007 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvervoren (Post 820987)
Don't get me wrong. I don't feel he got special treatment back then but if he were racing a couple of years back from now, let's say like in 2004 or so, he probably would have. The same way Jr. was getting away with stuff that he shouldn't have. I don't believe that is happening now though. NOT EVEN WITH HENDRICKS!!!!! I just think that if big E. were still alive and racing like he was, he would have lost a lot of respect from drivers just because he raced so dirty back then. Look at all the talk from this past race even. When Stewart took out Hamlin. Everybody says he's an idiot(including myself) but that is how big E. raced all the time. I just don't think it would be tolerated now days and he wouldn't be as succesful as he was.

:agree:
Ironhead got away with a lot of stuff that today would not be tolerated.
Even when he did it, no one else was able to get away with it.

G 07-09-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 820992)
:agree:
Ironhead got away with a lot of stuff that today would not be tolerated.
Even when he did it, no one else was able to get away with it.

Name something?????

You guys forget about so many drivers when you say Dale was over aggressive or a dirty driver. It's so easy to forget the amazing things he did with a race car.

ALL of these guys had that dirty driver label at one time. Some retain that reputation!!!!

Jeff Gordon, Shane Hmiel (banned for life), Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Junior Johnson, Tony Stewart, Ricky Rudd (a very feared driver, he will get even), Geoffrey Bodine, Ernie Irvan, Tim Richmond, Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick, Darel Dieringer, Kyle Busch, Bobby Hamilton, Robby Gordon, Ricky Craven, Jimmy Spencer, Curtis Turner, Juan Pablo Montoya (OMG), Buckshot Jones, Bill Dennis, "Terrible" Tommy Ellis, Jack Ingram, Don Whittington, Kenny Irwin Jr, Rob Moroso, and even the King Richard Petty.

birdman941 07-09-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 821105)
Name something?????

You guys forget about so many drivers when you say Dale was over aggressive or a dirty driver. It's so easy to forget the amazing things he did with a race car.

ALL of these guys had that dirty driver label at one time. Some retain that reputation!!!!

Jeff Gordon, Shane Hmiel (banned for life), Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Junior Johnson, Tony Stewart, Ricky Rudd (a very feared driver, he will get even), Geoffrey Bodine, Ernie Irvan, Tim Richmond, Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick, Darel Dieringer, Kyle Busch, Bobby Hamilton, Robby Gordon, Ricky Craven, Jimmy Spencer, Curtis Turner, Juan Pablo Montoya (OMG), Buckshot Jones, Bill Dennis, "Terrible" Tommy Ellis, Jack Ingram, Don Whittington, Kenny Irwin Jr, Rob Moroso, and even the King Richard Petty.

Changing a tire on the exit of pit road after it fell off.
That's between pit road and the track.
No penalty was handed down.
If ASSCAR had deemed that act against the rules,
WHICH IT MOST CERTAINLY WAS,
The #6 would have been the Champion.
It was the same year that ASSCAR screwed Mark Martin
out of a Championship for a spacer that was bolted on instead of being welded.
Need more?

G 07-09-2007 10:27 PM

You didn't see anybody else doing this kind of stuff. http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/thud.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gxK3FDCQg

G 07-09-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 821117)
Changing a tire on the exit of pit road after it fell off.
That's between pit road and the track.
No penalty was handed down.
If ASSCAR had deemed that act against the rules,
WHICH IT MOST CERTAINLY WAS,
The #6 would have been the Champion.
It was the same year that ASSCAR screwed Mark Martin
out of a Championship for a spacer that was bolted on instead of being welded.
Need more?

Dirty driving ????? :confused:

G 07-09-2007 11:02 PM

How about 17th to the dang win in 4 laps. :eyebrows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TR607FDog0

My other favorite was the Winston win where he is getting pushed around by Bill Elliott who had a faster car. Elliott would have probably won if he had not cut a tire. It was probably cut from one of the many times him and Dale touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4y7MJfeIs

G 07-09-2007 11:24 PM

I'll stop with the Dale Sr stuff. :CHEERS:

If I post a few more vids he will probably win an 8th Championship. http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/glasses3.gif

Azure Blurr 07-10-2007 06:10 AM

Don't be bashful G, I agree completely. Nascar has changed alot since his death and today he would be one of the most penalized drivers if he was still with us.

G 07-10-2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZURE GIRL (Post 821236)
Don't be bashful G, I agree completely. Nascar has changed alot since his death and today he would be one of the most penalized drivers if he was still with us.

I don't know that I agree with that; drivers from his day handled things out on the track and didn't wine about it. He is still the only Cup driver to have wins in 4 different decades. I just don't like the terms used. Dirty driving is a term that is hard to define, it's hard for me to apply it to someone who insisted on winning every race he entered.

In my limited experience I have pushed on other cars, taken away lines needed to pass me, and even done some blocking at the very end of a race. My dad drove modifieds on dirt and pavement back in the day and was never considered a dirty driver but if Dale Sr is considered dirty --- my dad might be filthy. :23:

This theory on dirty drivers makes me think some on here have not been to very many short track local races. Cup is tame and always has been. I remember seeing Dale Sr and Waltrip both being owned on the short tracks in SE Va and NC. Guys like Tommy Ellis, Sonny Hutchins, and Ray Hendricks gave them their schooling --- it was some rough racing.

04VAMach1 07-10-2007 12:25 PM

I think that people just don't remember how Earnhardt drove. He didn't normally just out and out wreck anybody. He would cause people to make mistakes, get other cars loose by sticking his nose up behind their rear spoiler, and rub fenders. He would nudge someone if he thought that they were holding him up, but his intent wasn't to put them into the wall...they did that on their own.

What I disagree with now is how drivers are ramming each other and intentionally wrecking each other. When it happened in the past, it was usually in retaliation but it was much more in check due to the unwritten "gentlemen's agreement" that southern drivers generally obeyed. There were some lively rivalries, but for the most part the drivers respected each other. Today's drivers just don't have much respect for each other on the track.

I believe the main reason is their age...the previous generation of drivers grew up racing as a hobby. They had to do something to earn a living and worked their way up the ranks. Many of today's drivers grew up in priveleged families where they could hone their driving skills at a much younger age. They have never done anything that really demands respect.

gvervoren 07-10-2007 06:06 PM

Hey G. I'm not saying that Sr. wasn't an incredible driver cause he was. I mean how many drivers roll their cars and get back into them and race. All I'm saying is that the crap he pulled back then wouldn't fly in the modern day NASCAR. Even one of the videos you posted. Do think they would allow a driver to sit on the door of his car and wipe his window off. I DON"T THINK SO!!! Your right, many drivers did have a bad name at one time or another. But most of them eventually learned that it wasn't the right way to race. I would have respected Sr. more if he would have had the success he had while racing clean. What I mean by that is not having to bump someone out of the way or scare them. They were scared cause they know what he would do. He was a good enough driver where he could have passed people without getting into the back of them or rubbing fenders to scare them, but instead, he insisted on racing like an a$$.

gvervoren 07-10-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 821153)
How about 17th to the dang win in 4 laps. :eyebrows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TR607FDog0

Umm. That was Talledega, You can go from 30th to 1st in like 3 laps. Daytona is the same way.

G 07-10-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvervoren (Post 821504)
Umm. That was Talledega, You can go from 30th to 1st in like 3 laps. Daytona is the same way.

I didn't notice anyone else doing that :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

If you think anyone could pull that off in the LAST 4 laps --- then I guess those other guys just wanted him to win. :LAUGH:

G 07-10-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04VAMach1 (Post 821339)
I think that people just don't remember how Earnhardt drove. He didn't normally just out and out wreck anybody. He would cause people to make mistakes, get other cars loose by sticking his nose up behind their rear spoiler, and rub fenders. He would nudge someone if he thought that they were holding him up, but his intent wasn't to put them into the wall...they did that on their own.

What I disagree with now is how drivers are ramming each other and intentionally wrecking each other. When it happened in the past, it was usually in retaliation but it was much more in check due to the unwritten "gentlemen's agreement" that southern drivers generally obeyed. There were some lively rivalries, but for the most part the drivers respected each other. Today's drivers just don't have much respect for each other on the track.

I believe the main reason is their age...the previous generation of drivers grew up racing as a hobby. They had to do something to earn a living and worked their way up the ranks. Many of today's drivers grew up in priveleged families where they could hone their driving skills at a much younger age. They have never done anything that really demands respect.

:CHEERS:

machths 07-11-2007 08:55 AM

I don't really have a problem with the rough driving when it's called for. What does that mean? The purpose of entering races is to win. I don't like it when a driver will bump someone out of the way after only following them for a lap. On the other hand, if the guy in 2nd place clearly has the better, faster car, makes several attempts to make a clean pass for the lead, and gets blocked over and over again, then it stands to reason that the 2nd place driver is eventually going to get fed up and take more aggressive measures to get the lead. If after 3-5 laps of following the "weaker" car and almost being wrecked for trying to make a clean pass, I have no problem with a bump or nudge to "move" the slower car out of the way. That should never be used as a first resort though, and the "better" car should never put someone in the wall in order to win a race. I think of excessive blocking as being a cheap tactic, just the same as wrecking someone to gain positions.

gvervoren 07-15-2007 09:55 AM

Man, I would hate to be the people that have Dale Jr. tatoos. Especially with either the #8 or Bud because they are officially no longer together at the end of this year.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...dweiser/1.html

falcongtho3 07-15-2007 10:45 AM

Yeah, kinda reminds me of the TV ad that ran last year where Dale, Jr. was stating that he was changing his number and everyone went nuts removing the #8, only to say that he was only 'kidding'. Now the reality of it is even funnier, and no one's kidding this time! One of our guys at work has a #5 and Kelloggs logo tattoo along wiht Kyles name. Guess who's going to also have to work done next season?

Azure Blurr 07-15-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 823626)
Yeah, kinda reminds me of the TV ad that ran last year where Dale, Jr. was stating that he was changing his number and everyone went nuts removing the #8, only to say that he was only 'kidding'. Now the reality of it is even funnier, and no one's kidding this time! One of our guys at work has a #5 and Kelloggs logo tattoo along wiht Kyles name. Guess who's going to also have to work done next season?

I love that commercial, especially now! :tongue:

Thunderbolt 07-15-2007 04:12 PM

Geez, I thought they were gonna run the race tomorrow. Almost a 3:30 start time.

G 07-15-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 823713)
Geez, I thought they were gonna run the race tomorrow. Almost a 3:30 start time.

I forgot it was starting so late. We went out car shopping and when I turned the tube on, it was lap 3. :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

Blackpony04 07-15-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 823713)

The Chicagoland track is only 20 miles from me and it's hotter than a mother at noon around here. Starting it later is really a good thing for the fans at the track IMO even though I'm sure it had more to do with competing events on television than the heat (every race but today's has been ran in 95-100 degree weather...today was 85 and gorgeous). Missed 90% of the race today myself because it was too nice to be inside but I caught the important last 30 laps. Carl Edwards did a great job today and he almost got Kenseth there at the end. Cool to see Tony climb the fence regardless of if you are a fan of his or not because the vantage point for the fans there is spectacular!

Thunderbolt 07-15-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 823805)
The Chicagoland track is only 20 miles from me and it's hotter than a mother at noon around here. Starting it later is really a good thing for the fans at the track IMO even though I'm sure it had more to do with competing events on television than the heat (every race but today's has been ran in 95-100 degree weather...today was 85 and gorgeous).

That's why I really avoid going to summer Nascar races. I melt when it's hot at those races. I either go to spring races or fall races. On the west coast, the races are usually over by 1:30-2:00 our time, unless it's an actual west coast race.

ylopony 07-16-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 823805)
Cool to see Tony climb the fence regardless of if you are a fan of his or not because the vantage point for the fans there is spectacular!

I would have loved seeing the Lard Azz fall flat on his keister on national tv. :23: