2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

gvervoren 10-14-2007 11:11 PM

Re: NASCAR thread

But it's still the same engine builders and body guys. The cars should be pretty much the same. It's just how they set them up which a lot of the info comes from the drivers.

Azure Blurr 10-15-2007 06:05 AM

JJ & JG have talent but they have great teams. The other 2 yo-yos are just "test-beds" for the top two. IMHO...............

machths 10-15-2007 08:56 AM

Well I hate to inform you guys of this, but Jeff Gordon won most of his races and all of his championships BEFORE JJ and the 48 team came along. I'm sure that out of 10 identically built Hendricks motors, the two most powerful ones will most likely end up in Gordon's and Johnson's car. Why? Because they have demonstrated that they are the ones most likely to win. But, if you're on a track that you can't just mat the pedal and turn left (all of them except Talladega) it is driver skill, car setup and pit strategy that will have the biggest impact, not a 10-20 HP difference.

Gordon has consistently been the class of the field in most of the racing series he's been in, with the Busch series being one of his worst. Gordon has even stepped into an F1 car, what many feel is the absolute pinnacle of car design, and within 20 laps on a road course, was running lap times good enough for race qualification. Not too many professional drivers, worldwide, can say they've done that. He has accomplished some amazing feats in his career. He's won at Martinsville after his power steering failed in the first 1/3 of the race. We all know he's not a big, strong guy, yet he was able to man-handle that car on that track for over 300 laps and still win. He's also won at Martinsville after coming from 3 laps down. He is the road course king and now the restrictor-plate king. Everyone said that Ray Evernham made Gordon look as good as he did, and when Ray left Hendrick's we'd see that Gordon wasn't that good. Well, we're still waiting to see that happen. Not many drivers have much success when they become owner/drivers, yet Gordon is one and is still having success.

While I have the utmost respect for Richard Petty and think he is one of the greatest drivers, he was the first driver to basically be handed a "blank check" for his STP team in an era where corporate sponsorship was minimal and the competition wasn't nearly what it is today. Earnhardt Sr. also spent the majority of his career in a time when NASCAR wasn't the economic, competitive powerhouse that it is now. It truly is ANYONE'S race on any given weekend (with the exception of Mikey Waltrip :LAUGH: ) The car's are far more identical now than they were then, also making it anyone's weekend at any given time. Pretty soon, Nextel Cup will look like IROC, which I find dull and boring. Personally, if you truly want to see which team builds the best car, then NASCAR should mandate that you choose 1 setup, and only one setup to run on every track on the schedule for an entire season. If you feel you do better on the short tracks, set the car up for those and then you'll run great there, and terrible on the superspeedways.

I can't stand Tony Stewart and feel that there is absolutely not a d@mn thing professional about him, but he can flatout drive a car! I'll give him that. I know, Jeff Gordon is gay :concerned and team Hendricks would make anyone look like a great driver :concerned and Gordon was handed a great team and never earned his success :concerned. I heard the same b.s. about Emmitt Smith.

"If Barry Sanders had an offensive line like the Dallas Cowboys he'd be the all-time leading rusher."
-Sore Loser Oct. 27, 2002

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah. Ya'll don't want to give Gordon his props, fine, don't. Who is the greatest NASCAR driver of all time and why? Who is the best current NASCAR driver and why? I'll tell you this though, the sooner you accept the fact that Gordon is one of the best driver's out there, the sooner it won't sting nearly as bad whenever he wins. Think about that.

03mach69mach 10-15-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machths (Post 875055)
Well I hate to inform you guys of this, but Jeff Gordon won most of his races and all of his championships BEFORE JJ and the 48 team came along. I'm sure that out of 10 identically built Hendricks motors, the two most powerful ones will most likely end up in Gordon's and Johnson's car. Why? Because they have demonstrated that they are the ones most likely to win. But, if you're on a track that you can't just mat the pedal and turn left (all of them except Talladega) it is driver skill, car setup and pit strategy that will have the biggest impact, not a 10-20 HP difference.

Gordon has consistently been the class of the field in most of the racing series he's been in, with the Busch series being one of his worst. Gordon has even stepped into an F1 car, what many feel is the absolute pinnacle of car design, and within 20 laps on a road course, was running lap times good enough for race qualification. Not too many professional drivers, worldwide, can say they've done that. He has accomplished some amazing feats in his career. He's won at Martinsville after his power steering failed in the first 1/3 of the race. We all know he's not a big, strong guy, yet he was able to man-handle that car on that track for over 300 laps and still win. He's also won at Martinsville after coming from 3 laps down. He is the road course king and now the restrictor-plate king. Everyone said that Ray Evernham made Gordon look as good as he did, and when Ray left Hendrick's we'd see that Gordon wasn't that good. Well, we're still waiting to see that happen. Not many drivers have much success when they become owner/drivers, yet Gordon is one and is still having success.

While I have the utmost respect for Richard Petty and think he is one of the greatest drivers, he was the first driver to basically be handed a "blank check" for his STP team in an era where corporate sponsorship was minimal and the competition wasn't nearly what it is today. Earnhardt Sr. also spent the majority of his career in a time when NASCAR wasn't the economic, competitive powerhouse that it is now. It truly is ANYONE'S race on any given weekend (with the exception of Mikey Waltrip :LAUGH: ) The car's are far more identical now than they were then, also making it anyone's weekend at any given time. Pretty soon, Nextel Cup will look like IROC, which I find dull and boring. Personally, if you truly want to see which team builds the best car, then NASCAR should mandate that you choose 1 setup, and only one setup to run on every track on the schedule for an entire season. If you feel you do better on the short tracks, set the car up for those and then you'll run great there, and terrible on the superspeedways.

I can't stand Tony Stewart and feel that there is absolutely not a d@mn thing professional about him, but he can flatout drive a car! I'll give him that. I know, Jeff Gordon is gay :concerned and team Hendricks would make anyone look like a great driver :concerned and Gordon was handed a great team and never earned his success :concerned. I heard the same b.s. about Emmitt Smith.

"If Barry Sanders had an offensive line like the Dallas Cowboys he'd be the all-time leading rusher."
-Sore Loser Oct. 27, 2002

Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah. Ya'll don't want to give Gordon his props, fine, don't. Who is the greatest NASCAR driver of all time and why? Who is the best current NASCAR driver and why? I'll tell you this though, the sooner you accept the fact that Gordon is one of the best driver's out there, the sooner it won't sting nearly as bad whenever he wins. Think about that.

He'll always be on the pole in my book:3:

Azure Blurr 10-15-2007 05:40 PM

Put JG on the Petty team and lets see what he will do! I bet, with that teams recent history, it will have something to do with a wall! :wall:

Yes he is a good driver, but he is great because of the team that put him there.

pic18 10-15-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure Blurr (Post 875316)
Put JG on the Petty team and lets see what he will do! I bet, with that teams recent history, it will have something to do with a wall! :wall:

Yes he is a good driver, but he is great because of the team that put him there.

Bobby was running Top 5 in Talladega all race up to near the end when he lost control. Bobby was running Top 10 all night in Charlotte until he pitted at the end and ended up finishing 12th.

Put Jeff in that car, and I'll say he may have made the Chase even if he came in 12th. Jeff as a driver is for sure worth some positions over a lot of guys.

Gordon is Talented and Hungry. Let's not forget that if the Chase was never developed, this would be his 6th Championship.

Next year will be interesting, because you know Earnhardt will get stuff equal to the 24 and 48. Hendrick knows that if he can give Junior a Championship, or several, he will be loved by the masses like Childress. We'll see what kind of driver Junior is next year.

gvervoren 10-15-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pic18 (Post 875356)
Bobby was running Top 5 in Talladega all race up to near the end when he lost control. Bobby was running Top 10 all night in Charlotte until he pitted at the end and ended up finishing 12th.

Put Jeff in that car, and I'll say he may have made the Chase even if he came in 12th. Jeff as a driver is for sure worth some positions over a lot of guys.

Gordon is Talented and Hungry. Let's not forget that if the Chase was never developed, this would be his 6th Championship.

Next year will be interesting, because you know Earnhardt will get stuff equal to the 24 and 48. Hendrick knows that if he can give Junior a Championship, or several, he will be loved by the masses like Childress. We'll see what kind of driver Junior is next year.

I agree, if you put JG or JJ in a Petty car, I bet that team would come to life. LaBonte ran great in a lot of races but just had bad luck ruin his day/

Big Ron 10-15-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pic18 (Post 875356)
We'll see what kind of driver Junior is next year.

yeah, put up or shut up.............

I think he made a mistake in changing

Big Ron

falcongtho3 10-15-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03mach69mach (Post 875241)
He'll always be on the pole in my book:3:

:agree:

As to the 'Petty having major sponsorship' thing, realize that there was huge FACTORY backing in NASCAR, both over and under the table (even with the AMA ban). Even though the factories have some say in this day and age, it's nothing like what was going to Holman-Moody, Woods Bros., and so many others in the '50's and '60's. It's a very different playing field today...like those that 'take the pole'...no one'll ever look at that claim the same way again...
:borg:

G 10-21-2007 12:29 PM

Is there even a race today :headbang:

j/k this could be the best of the year. They will need some strong walls to contain the 24 and 24x2. :CHEERS: :ORANGE: :THUMBSUP: :ORANGE:

G 10-21-2007 07:07 PM

There was a race and even with all the cautions it won't that exciting. :mad:

I'm thinking the caution should have come out much sooner just before the white flag. :headbang:

Azure Blurr 10-21-2007 08:49 PM

Me no watchy the races now.......

Huntin' season > Racin' season :D

We got a TV at camp, but they just wanna watch that fooseball :notsure:

G 10-21-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure Blurr (Post 878822)

We got a TV at camp, but they just wanna watch that fooseball :notsure:

You didn't miss much. SSDD :23:

machths 10-21-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure Blurr (Post 878822)

:agree: :ORANGE:

gvervoren 10-21-2007 09:31 PM

Yup, another Hendrick win. I'm just waiting for the day a Toyota wins cause this thread will probably be on fire after that from all the flaming. Sorry to say but I think it will happen next year with Stewart.

On a side note, I'm a Newman fan and he almost won so that's good.

G 10-21-2007 11:04 PM

So Toyota next year ---- maybe Honda the year after. :what:

WTH is the world coming too. :SMASH:

02mach1 10-22-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 878880)
So Toyota next year ---- maybe Honda the year after. :what:

WTH is the world coming too. :SMASH:

Don't forget Mazda is coming in 2010

G 10-23-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02mach1 (Post 879580)
Don't forget Mazda is coming in 2010

Well that's kinda Ford. :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

02mach1 10-23-2007 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 879588)
Well that's kinda Ford. :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

By Roush Racing :halloween

falcongtho3 10-23-2007 07:11 AM

Guess we'll just have to wait for Ferarri, Aston Martin, and Peugeot...

03mach69mach 10-23-2007 07:15 AM

Michael Waltrip in the Zims Crack Creme Kia!!:bigeyes:

falcongtho3 10-23-2007 07:21 AM

You laugh, we had a local (and very popular) company sponsoring a Busch car, it was Boudreauxs Bu++ Paste ! No lie, it was all over the car (the graphics, not the Bu++ Paste)!

gvervoren 10-23-2007 06:16 PM

I have some butt paste at home!! LOL (It's diaper rash cream silly people!!) It's for my 10 month old son when he gets a diaper rash.

Blackpony04 10-23-2007 07:27 PM

Carl Edwards Vs. Matt Kenseth after Martinsville!

I'd put my money on Carl! :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4CBm_VugNYk

machths 10-23-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony04 (Post 880145)
Carl Edwards Vs. Matt Kenseth after Martinsville!

I'd put my money on Carl! :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4CBm_VugNYk

WOW! I had no idea that happened. That's pretty wild. I like Edwards, but I don't know about the fake to punch him in the face. It's kind of like pointing a gun at someone you have no intention of shooting. If you're gonna threaten like that, just do it. As for Kenseth, I lost a little respect for him a couple of years ago. But yeah, Carl would hand him his @ss in a second. I wonder what drove him to that.:OUCH: