2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   switching from mobil 1 to Royal Purple (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121231)

ASH302 04-10-2012 12:09 AM

switching from mobil 1 to Royal Purple

so when i was swapping valve covers (which i should have gotten a picture) there was some junk (alittle bite, not much) on the springs and chite, so after my buddy caught it, told me i need to switch to Royal Purple, may cost alittle more, but worth the money, which i'm down to using the best stuff in my Mach, for sure worth it, it just kills me that mobil 1 would do that. i use 5w-20 and from the research i've done its suppose to be one of the best to use.
Has anyone else had this problem
my buddy has been a master mech for years, and i know he knows his chite
he also has a mach and has been on here, but not any more, so i trust what he tells me

ASh

punishermach 04-10-2012 12:29 AM

Re: switching from mobil 1 to Royal Purple

i have used royal puprple since i bought my car in 06, and i love it,works dam good.

Supra 04-10-2012 12:29 AM

In my opinion, Stick to the Mobil 1.

Mach828 04-10-2012 12:39 AM

Shoulda seen my car when i swapped the intake cams. Diesel oil FTW. It had 85k miles on it at the time, and it looked brand spanking new. Not a single spec of rust, corrosion, black junk, nothing. Spotless.

I'd stick with mobil 1 5w30 if your not a diesel oil fan.

Supra 04-10-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1476541)
Shoulda seen my car when i swapped the intake cams. Diesel oil FTW. It had 85k miles on it at the time, and it looked brand spanking new. Not a single spec of rust, corrosion, black junk, nothing. Spotless.

Few guys around here run diesel oil as well with great results. I've heard it also works well as an engine break-in oil?

Mach828 04-10-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra (Post 1476554)
I've heard it also works well as an engine break-in oil?

I've heard the same!

TKat13 04-10-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1476541)

Does Diesel oil have cleaners? Or, what makes it so much better than Mobil 1?

ASH302 04-10-2012 01:21 AM

i'm just goin to stick w/ 5w-20 but switch Royal Purple

ASh

Supa Sorry 04-10-2012 01:33 AM

I was thinking of switching aswell but just been hesitant to do so.

Mach828 04-10-2012 01:39 AM

5w-20 is too thin. I'd at least get 5w-30 Royal Purple if thats what you want.

Lower the second number is, the more wear your causing on your engine at higher operating temps. And only benefit is your probably saving .25mpg and getting an extra 1hp.

With your car being boosted and everything, I wouldn't be running 5w-20. Its your car though!

ASH302 04-10-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1476589)
5w-20 is too thin. I'd at least get 5w-30 Royal Purple if thats what you want.

Lower the second number is, the more wear your causing on your engine at higher operating temps. And only benefit is your probably saving .25mpg and getting an extra 1hp.

With your car being boosted and everything, I wouldn't be running 5w-20. Its your car though!

i was thinking about that, doing the 5w-30, its still in my mind
ASh

ASH302 04-10-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supa Sorry (Post 1476584)
I was thinking of switching aswell but just been hesitant to do so.

just run whats best

ASh

Chances50 04-10-2012 08:59 AM

With as tight as the clearances are on these motors there is a reason ford put 5/20 in them. My motor has been run on moble 1 since day one and it looked brand new inside when we pulled it apart (except for the headgasket) I'll never run anything but moble 1 in a modular motor.

Usually when you have black burnt oil built up it from lack of changing the oil.

ASH302 04-10-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chances50 (Post 1476678)
With as tight as the clearances are on these motors there is a reason ford put 5/20 in them. My motor has been run on moble 1 since day one and it looked brand new inside when we pulled it apart (except for the headgasket) I'll never run anything but moble 1 in a modular motor.

Usually when you have black burnt oil built up it from lack of changing the oil.

i change the oil on it every 3K or every 6 months
i felt the same about mobil 1, but just showed when i sae it. like i sai a really same amount doesn't matter, as long as its the best

ASh

JaybTorchedMach 04-10-2012 10:17 AM

I've heard bad stories running RP through your engine. Only place RP will go is in my diff. I'll stick to Mobil up front.

USAF_Rock 04-10-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach (Post 1476692)
I've heard bad stories running RP through your engine. Only place RP will go is in my diff. I'll stick to Mobil up front.

im with yo on that one man.. but then again to each his own

thebestdj07 04-10-2012 10:48 AM

if you that the time to look at the testing people have done on all the oils mobil and rp are both junk.

i use quakerstate horsepower. it is very close to vr1. also with a bosch filter. after 3000 hard miles its just barley dark.

Eneos is another good oil.

24kmach 04-10-2012 10:49 AM

What is ever on sale FTW. :COOL:

TRMach1 04-10-2012 11:11 AM

I don't know what to think about this whole oil branding thing. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5w20 in my stock motor for over 60k miles, never a problem.

When I was having my Aluminator installed, we were on the phone with a Ford Racing tech about an unrelated issue, and he said to break the engine in for 500 miles on regular fossil blend 5w30 oil, then switch to a full synthetic 5w30, but to never go back to the 5w20! Almost four years and 12k miles later, of using Mobil 1 5w30, here my car sits with a broken engine!

How much the brand and weight of the oil played in the engine failure, I have no clue. Maybe we'll learn something more when it is finally torn down in the next couple of weeks, but one thing is for sure, the rear main seal and bearing are toast, and I'm guessing at least one, or more, rod bearings are gone, and possibly the oil pump!

New Mach 04-10-2012 12:07 PM

In my own unofficial Oil Test I did some years bike, I found that Royal Purple worked the best at first, but it stop working after a very short time frame, like 500 miles or so. I refuse to use Royal Purple. It ranked 5th of the 5 oils I tested on my motorcycles. Mobil 1, placed 1st.

Hope this helps.

24kmach 04-10-2012 01:06 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-20-5qt/17018132

ASH302 04-10-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRMach1 (Post 1476707)
I don't know what to think about this whole oil branding thing. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic, 5w20 in my stock motor for over 60k miles, never a problem.

When I was having my Aluminator installed, we were on the phone with a Ford Racing tech about an unrelated issue, and he said to break the engine in for 500 miles on regular fossil blend 5w30 oil, then switch to a full synthetic 5w30, but to never go back to the 5w20! Almost four years and 12k miles later, of using Mobil 1 5w30, here my car sits with a broken engine!

How much the brand and weight of the oil played in the engine failure, I have no clue. Maybe we'll learn something more when it is finally torn down in the next couple of weeks, but one thing is for sure, the rear main seal and bearing are toast, and I'm guessing at least one, or more, rod bearings are gone, and possibly the oil pump!

did this just happen with your motor? i'm sorry to hear that
you going to use a aluminator again?

ASh

ASH302 04-10-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24kmach (Post 1476722)

they didn't have a jug of royal purple in what i needed but it was about 10bucks more for it

ASh

24kmach 04-10-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1476734)
they didn't have a jug of royal purple in what i needed but it was about 10bucks more for it

ASh

I think your making a big mistake Ash. Stay with Mobil or Castrol.:3amin:

TKat13 04-10-2012 03:04 PM

almost 90k miles, hard miles and Mobil 1 5/20 has always been great too me. To further push the debate, and you guys can roast me all you want but I change my oil every 10k miles. When I change the oil, it always amazes me how clean it is. Motorcraft oil filter

In my truck, V10 Viper, I run Mobil1, change every 10k miles as well and never a single problem. 80k miles on that engine. Mopar oil filter

Based on the oil that is drained out in both vehicles, I really change the oil because of my desire to change the filter.

I cannot argue with myself over this and have a hard time changing brands, these motors have run perfectly the entire time. These are daily drivers and my goal has always been 100k miles which based on my last compression checks, I hope to surpass these estimates. I'm the original owner on the Mach, the truck was used but only had 3k miles on it.

However, I am still wondering why people run the diesel oil?

Explosive 04-10-2012 03:45 PM

I've heard terrible things about royal purple engine oil and will not run it in my motor. I do use their gear lubes though.

I'm currently running amsoil 5w20 with a motorcraft filter.

02gtvertible 04-10-2012 03:49 PM

all of this is new news to me. I was always under the impression that royal purple was the best out there. I ran it in my 2v...perhaps i need to rethink my selection on the mach??? Just bought it a week and a half ago, and havent had time to change it yet. Now i have to rethink my oil selection for it.

ASH302 04-10-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24kmach (Post 1476735)
I think your making a big mistake Ash. Stay with Mobil or Castrol.:3amin:

i know what your sayin, i always used Castrol on stock motor, but with the mach i wanted to use mobil 1 and then after i saw the junk build up and my buddy (trusting his word) though going with royal purple might be the way to go, he strogly suggested it

ASh

ASH302 04-10-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02gtvertible (Post 1476743)
all of this is new news to me. I was always under the impression that royal purple was the best out there. I ran it in my 2v...perhaps i need to rethink my selection on the mach??? Just bought it a week and a half ago, and havent had time to change it yet. Now i have to rethink my oil selection for it.

it is crazy how you have people sayin they had great luck with this brand or haven't, it sucks cuz it makes it ruff when picking what brand to use

ASh

ASH302 04-10-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1476737)
almost 90k miles, hard miles and Mobil 1 5/20 has always been great too me. To further push the debate, and you guys can roast me all you want but I change my oil every 10k miles. When I change the oil, it always amazes me how clean it is. Motorcraft oil filter

In my truck, V10 Viper, I run Mobil1, change every 10k miles as well and never a single problem. 80k miles on that engine. Mopar oil filter

Based on the oil that is drained out in both vehicles, I really change the oil because of my desire to change the filter.

I cannot argue with myself over this and have a hard time changing brands, these motors have run perfectly the entire time. These are daily drivers and my goal has always been 100k miles which based on my last compression checks, I hope to surpass these estimates. I'm the original owner on the Mach, the truck was used but only had 3k miles on it.

However, I am still wondering why people run the diesel oil?

that is funny you say that, cuz that is what i kinda got told, but atleast change the oil filter between that,

ASh

birdman941 04-10-2012 05:11 PM

I would use Royal Purple in my MMR motor !!!
Then using onion flavored syrup on pancakes !!!
Then voting to re-elect dumbo!

^^^^^LYING ^^^^^^^^

I would never do any of those things. (especially the mmr thing)

96gt02 04-10-2012 05:40 PM

I have no personal experience with royal purple but from everything i have always heard is that its all its cracked up to be. Always used mobil 1 and heard amsoil was actually one of the best also.

UNLUCKIER 04-10-2012 06:33 PM

Amsoil here is all i use...

New Mach 04-10-2012 06:36 PM

Good Stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNLUCKIER (Post 1476775)
Amsoil here is all i use...

Amsoil placed 2nd in my unofficial Oil Test.

ASH302 04-10-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1476766)
I would use Royal Purple in my MMR motor !!!
Then using onion flavored syrup on pancakes !!!
Then voting to re-elect dumbo!

^^^^^LYING ^^^^^^^^

I would never do any of those things. (especially the mmr thing)

don't put Royal Purple on that low of a standard
that is bad lol

ASh

StangFever2846 04-10-2012 07:26 PM

Hey Ash, this is what a Ford Engineer (swhiteh3) had to say about what weight oil to use on our modulars:

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36607

"Yes. I would not run 5W-20 in ANY stock mod motor. This is especially true in 4v motors, but applies to all of them in one form or another."

StangFever2846 04-10-2012 07:27 PM

Plus with the brutal Texas summers I'd stick with the 5w30. I personally use Mobil 1, but on several tests online I usually see Amsoil and Redline up at the top.

96gt02 04-10-2012 07:33 PM

Re: Good Stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Mach (Post 1476779)
Amsoil placed 2nd in my unofficial Oil Test.

What placed first lol? Redline?

JDraper 04-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chances50 (Post 1476678)

Contrary to popular belief, the clearances in our motors aren't really any tighter than older motors. The tolerances on the main and connecting rod bearings in my '66 289 motor and my '04 Mach motor overlap.

Having said that I also run Mobil 1, but 5W30.

tmhutch 04-10-2012 07:40 PM

I am amazed at how many engine failures I've heard of with Royal Purple. I'd run just about anything else before I'd run that stuff. The reason people run diesle spec is because it has the wear additives that were regulated out of passenger vehicle oil. Hopefull Nick McKinney will chime in with his experience. Very valuable information.

Bottom line, nobody should be running 5w20. The switch from 5w30 in 1999 to 5w20 in 2001 on identical engines had nothing to do with wear or reliability issues and everything to do with Ford saving a few bucks by meeting CAFE standards.

Mike Riley, Product Design Engineer with Ford Motor Company:

Quote:
"Moving to 5w20 was driven by ... CAFE requirements. The company believes the switch to lighter viscosity 5w20 oils will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons a year and reduce US fuel consumption by over 21,000,000 gallons a year."

FRPP Group:

Quote:
"DO NOT go back to using 5w-20"

Scott Whitehead - Engine Development Systems Engineer, Ford Motor Company:

Quote:
"I've seen the dyno testing. I've probably looked at several hundred engines disassembled and spread out on inspection tables. And I've been involved in testing to resolve issues where varying the oil viscosity was part of the test. Please do not put 5w-20 or less into a mod motor. Please. This is especially true in 4v motors. 5W-30 is probably a good oil for the street with mixed temperatures."

Often times the bean counters prevail over the engineers, usually to the products detriment. Running the lighter weight oil reduces the engines lifespan, mostly in the connecting rod bearings but everywhere that depends on oil viscosity. BMW's M3 engines are small cubic inch, high reving DOHC engines similar to ours and are spec'd for 15w-60 motor oil. Food for thought.

The fuel mileage difference from running 5w-20 vs 5w-30 is probably less than half a mile per gallon but Ford calculates that over 10's of thousands of cars and realizes a substantial improvement in CAFE figures ($).

Even if you drive like you're on estrogen therapy and never rev your engine over 4000 RPM, your engine will experience accelerated wear because a lot of damage occurs at startup before the oil begins circulating. A balance needs to be struck between oil that is thin enough to circulate efficiently at startup but still retains enough film strength to protect the bearings before oil begins to flow.

There are lighter weight oils that contain anti-wear additives that provide superior protection (Red Line, Amsoil 0w-30 (only)) but these additives often preclude the oil from meeting CAFE standards, not that I care about that for my limited use hot rod.

I think it is best to stick with the wisdom and experience of a Ford engine development engineer who spent hours blowing up DOHC engines using different oil viscosities. Someday I may change my mind and try a specialty oil but for now, 5w-30 Mobil 1, Amsoil and Red Line get my vote.

Todd

96gt02 04-10-2012 08:50 PM

im personally a big fan of the mobil extended performance over the regular mobil 1 just saying.

Mach828 04-10-2012 11:29 PM

Your engine oil being clean is a bad sign. Clean oil means its just leaving all that stuff behind. Dirty oil means its doing a good job cleaning and retaining everything within the oil, like its supposed to.

TRMach1 04-10-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1476733)
did this just happen with your motor? i'm sorry to hear that
you going to use a aluminator again?

ASh

Yeah, it just happened the middle of March. The plan right now is to see how bad things are. The engine still runs, but oil is flowing out the rear main seal, and the rod knock is about a six on a one to ten scale. A local machine shop is going to take a look at it, replace what's broke, salvage all the usuable parts, and put it back together. After that, I think it might be time to let it go and get a new ride.

ASH302 04-11-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRMach1 (Post 1476842)
Yeah, it just happened the middle of March. The plan right now is to see how bad things are. The engine still runs, but oil is flowing out the rear main seal, and the rod knock is about a six on a one to ten scale. A local machine shop is going to take a look at it, replace what's broke, salvage all the usuable parts, and put it back together. After that, I think it might be time to let it go and get a new ride.

sounds like a plan for sure, again sorry to hear about it, that sucks balls

ASh

Stopsign32v 04-11-2012 12:15 AM

Rotella here

Supra 04-11-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1476745)
i know what your sayin, i always used Castrol on stock motor, but with the mach i wanted to use mobil 1 and then after i saw the junk build up and my buddy (trusting his word) though going with royal purple might be the way to go, he strogly suggested it

ASh

If you haven't owned the car since new, then I have a pretty good idea why there was build up (unless of course you have had the covers off in the past and know this wasn't the case before)

New Mach 04-11-2012 01:10 AM

Re: Good Stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96gt02 (Post 1476793)
What placed first lol? Redline?

See post #20.

LineageMach1 04-11-2012 01:42 AM

Kind of strange because the same thing happened to me with royal purple so I switched to Mobil 1 heh.

Since I purchased the car it's been royal purple but I noticed that the royal purple, even the heavy wgts, seem to slick out really fast. The engine barely get's over 95 degrees and it's like the royal purple turns the water.

I did some testing with friction and metal etc and royal purple just doesnt add up unless you add some lucas or something to thicken it a bit. It actually reminds me of 7807 for turbine engines, really really watered down.

Ever since I switched the engine has been running much smoother.

boostownsme 04-11-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1476680)
i change the oil on it every 3K or every 6 months
i felt the same about mobil 1, but just showed when i sae it. like i sai a really same amount doesn't matter, as long as its the best

ASh

Using synthetic your throwing money down the drain with those intervals

newedge32v 04-11-2012 01:32 PM

I'm at 96k miles and I only use 10w30... some times 10w40. Everything else seems to burn too quick and I feel that 10w30 has more protection.