2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Body, Chassis & Interior (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   In Dash Rattle (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29101)

rsdunphy 01-20-2005 06:54 PM

In Dash Rattle

Need help from all you Guys and Gals out there. I have had my Mach at the dealership for that dreaded in dash rattle. It sounds like a washer in a tin can when accelerating or just cruising along on the right road surface. I tried calling Ford to no avail. I am unable to get to the TSB database. Any help out there in Mach Land would be greatly appreciated. I have read all the threads about it and am not sure if it is coming from the shaker. I have raised the shaker and the sound is the same as when it was new.

shake this 01-20-2005 07:05 PM

Re: In Dash Rattle

Is it from the dash or outside the car?

If it's from the dash, do you know what side? Driver side, center, or passenger side?

I had a bad rattle/squeak from the center trim ring around the a/c , radio. Took it off, added some 3M molding tape (any bodyshop will have it) put it all back on and now all is quiet.

rsdunphy 01-20-2005 07:08 PM

Definitely inside the car, center/left in dash. The dealer has put extra molding tape around the inside dash trim parts.

topkat 01-20-2005 08:29 PM

Have you VERIFIED that they did??? Mine said they did, I got so pissed when the rattle was still there, I decided to have a lookie poo myself and guess what ... NOT A DANG THING between the trim and the console. Just my experience, hope yours is different.

Drenath 01-21-2005 10:10 AM

Hah, my rattle ended up being the seatbelt buckle against the side interior wall ;)

cdover73 01-22-2005 10:03 AM

What shift handle do you have? I just found out this morning that the noise I thought was coming from the center dash turned out to be the Pro 5.0 shifter I put in. The noise was resonating through the handle due to the lack of the rubber between the shifter and the base stick. I found it when I put my hand on it and it stopped. If I hadn't done that I would have sworn the noise was from the trim in the dash. These things always amaze me!

topkat 01-22-2005 10:34 AM

mine has had it since day 1. I have put in an MGW handle, and the A/C knobs and nothing changed so I don't think it was my shifter or something on the dash. It sounds like it is coming DIRECTLY from the A/C vents in the center. Maybe I'll tear those apart next.

topkat 02-18-2005 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shake this
Is it from the dash or outside the car?

If it's from the dash, do you know what side? Driver side, center, or passenger side?

I had a bad rattle/squeak from the center trim ring around the a/c , radio. Took it off, added some 3M molding tape (any bodyshop will have it) put it all back on and now all is quiet.

In my best Guinness guys voice ... "BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!"

I did this 2 days ago and the squeek is gone. I called my dealership (which has had the car 5 times for the squeek) and told them the fix and implied that maybe they should have thought of that. MORONS!!!!!! More like "DON'TGIVEADAMNS".

Shake This proceed to the nearest watering hole and order up a tall frosty one and send me the bill. 6 months of torment ended by a 5 dollar roll of tape and 10 minutes work.

azureT03 02-18-2005 07:54 AM

I have the dash rattle too. But mine rattles sometimes then the other times it makes a creaking sound like around the ac vents in the middles, and only does it at highway speed.
Cdover- I have noticed the same thing.

I got a shifter gasket set from cobrabob that is a thin piece of rubber that goes on the base and where the handle goes on. I really want to put it on so it would stop that noise.

shake this 02-18-2005 09:24 AM

topcat, always happy to help.

rcode99 02-18-2005 12:05 PM

I had Ford fix my vent rattle under the TSB. But I have another that I need to fix. How do you get the upper portion of the trim that is just above the one you take out when switching shifter kits. I have a squeak/rattle there that I know will be fized with some double faced tape.

shake this 02-18-2005 12:37 PM

Are you talking about the one that goes around the radio and a/c unit?

rsdunphy 02-18-2005 05:28 PM

I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT!
It was the parking break handle's button and/or the spring inside. My Ford dealer said he will replace it when I get back. (In the navy and away now)

substanger 02-18-2005 07:37 PM

Welcome To Mustang Ownership. Only Going To Get Worse!

rsdunphy 02-18-2005 08:52 PM

nice attitude.... why did you buy one ...

darkshadowmach 02-18-2005 10:48 PM

I too have the rattle, I will try the tape

substanger 02-19-2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdunphy
nice attitude.... why did you buy one ...

For your info....not that I feel I need to give you any..... I've owned Mustangs since I was 17.....I'm 38 now. I've had everything from '69-'70 Machs, to a handful of Fox bodied, a couple of SN-95's and now my '03 Mach. I was just letting him know that rattles in Mustangs are nothing new AND for him to expect many more in his ownership. These aren't $50,000 Lincolns! :rolleyses: Oh, by the way. The TSB is listed on a "sticky" at the beginning of the "TSB and Warranty Item" topic page.

Mach32v 04-06-2005 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by substanger
Welcome To Mustang Ownership. Only Going To Get Worse!

I'm with this dude. I love my Mach 1 but I swear sometimes Ford had their heads way up their azzes when they put some of these cars together. To make matters worse I cringe at almost any service experience I have with their azz hole techs. My friend has an 01 GT and he's had both heads replaced because of the spark plug blowout. If I wasn't such a mustang lover I would tell Ford to lick my sack! :flamedevi Just my feelings on the topic.

JohnnyMustang 04-28-2005 09:49 PM

got the rattle middle of dash by ac , its weird tho if i push on it while its making the noise it goes away but when i quit pushing on it it starts again, im trying the tape...nothing major just annoying i guess

Big Ron 05-04-2005 12:54 PM

TTT

just got back from the dealer for the third time.......I now have the A/C-radio trim ring, the auto shifter bezel, and the guage lens covering off and out of the car.......still have a rattle in the left center of the dash. Sounds like it's coming from the trip odometer area. I've cleaned out the glove box, cup holder and the center console. I took the shop foreman out today and guess what? No rattle. It rattles everyday but today.

I hear a rattle (clicking noise) when I start the car and put it in gear.....it will stop when I put it in neutral or reverse. When I accelerate I can hear the noise, when I take my foot off the accelerator it stops. At least when I'm by myself it does. I have an automatic so it's not the shifter knob. I can hold or press the emergency brake release button and I still have the noise. :grr:

I've read and searched every post on this board, the SVT board, and the Bullitt board. All seem to say that they have the "infamous" dash rattle, but I've never quite determined the cure nor read about one other than the two above. I had a V-6 and didn't have it. Must be a V-8 symptom.

Guess I'll just have to do what some have suggested......just turn up the radio or get louder exhaust.......I love George Thorogood's "Bad To The Bone" at about the 10 marker on the volume while cruising 85 - 90 mph. :yeh:

Any serious suggestions will be appreciated.

Big Ron :smokin:

SpringTown Mach 05-05-2005 05:26 PM

Ford has supposedly done the fix on my trim ring and a/c vents, but the darn thing still rattles like crazy, can someone tell me how to get the trim ring off so that I can fix it myself?

Thanks

Wes

shake this 05-05-2005 05:59 PM

Here is the steps I use to remove the trim ring around the radio and shifter.

Remove the trim ring around the shifter first as it will make it easer to remove the one around the radio. Start by pulling strait up on the trim ring but try and keep equal pressure as you don't want to brake anything. You don't have to remove it from the shifter just turn it sideways so that you can pull the trim ring around the radio off.

For the radio trim ring I start my removing the a/c vents first. Tilt the vents up or down and just pull them out. You will hear a snap and the vents will come out. I start from the bottom of the trim and use a small screw driver covered with a thin rag to help pop the first corner out so I can get my fingers around it. Work both sides going up at the same time. Once you get to the top, you will have two small clips behind the a/c vents that need to be pushed down some with a small screw driver. Work one side and then the other. Once you have one side free, you will need to keep presure so it does not snap back in place while your working on the other side. The trim ring should now be free and ready to pull out. If you are removing it from the car don't forget to unplug your t/c, driving lights, and defrost.

04Mach1 05-06-2005 01:04 PM

Gonna check the brake handle button, but I'm getting a rattle that's somehow tied to the a/c. If you turn on the a/c the rattle goes away. Mostly happens at cruising speed.

I posted another thread on this but may as well join in on this one.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...c+noise+rattle

Any other suggestions are appreciated. It's not a rubbing sound that could be fixed by tape but a noise like something shaking in a plastic bottle. I'm not convinced on going Big Ron's route yet. I like luvmynad's vacuum explanation posted in my other thread so far but it would be great to know exactly (is it a hose, or the vent itself, etc) before going to the dealer. Since other Bullitt and Cobras seem to have this prob too, then there should be TSB by now.

Big Ron 05-06-2005 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Mach1
Gonna check the brake handle button, but I'm getting a rattle that's somehow tied to the a/c. If you turn on the a/c the rattle goes away.

does it go away? or is it that you just can't hear it with the A/C on? I'm like you....I'm trying to figure this out or get as much done before going back to the dealer as I know they don't want to work on it and don't want to spend the time that I'm willing to spend on it to find this @#$% rattle :grr:

Big Ron

04Mach1 05-06-2005 01:28 PM

Yep, it goes away as far as I can tell, and it was on a 50 mile highway drive so I could test the theory a bit, if I turned the a/c on it was gone. If I turned it off and it came back within minutes. I hope it does the same for you - for both our sakes, lol. We could then pin this down, once and for all.