2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How to change your 5 speed to an automatic (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27448)

jonkolo 12-09-2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ZincDude
Maybe you guys are right. I could have sworn I saw a 97 or 98 black conv't with an auto.
No Cobras had autos, but there were so many people that put the snakes on their gt's to make tham look like a Cobra.

I had a 96 Cobra coupe and a 97 Cobra convertible and everyone always asked if they were sticks or autos. I always had to explain that there were no auto cobras ever.

The auto option in the Mach is very unique because of this, that's kinda why I got one.

03Steve 12-09-2004 01:47 AM

I am still at a loss on why Ford decided to give you guys a cast crank and 6-bolt flexplate. :confused: Doesn't Ford make an 8-bolt flexplate for the F-150s?

96cobrakid 12-09-2004 01:59 AM

a long weekend steve?! tell the truth, I bet we had a good 3 or 4 days in it, but we were also runnign around trying to find parts to maek it work, but yes, that auto shifts fast!!!!! and when u plug in the main wiring harness, do it before the tranny is bolted up or get so9meone with small forearms to squeeze it up there, I did it, and its not fun!

TheWaterSkier 12-09-2004 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MyLittlePony
There is no such thing as a Factory auto cobra period.
No arguments, no speeches. They never made one.
I did do some minor assisting in Steve's deal though.

So there are a handful of conversions. When you have a car like Steve's..you couldn't shift fast enough...:)

Why, is he going faster than the Pro-Stockers? I remember Grumpy Jenkins going in the 9's with the same 4 speed tranny I had in my Chevelle at the time.

Sorry, each to his own, but why would you want to swap to an auto in a Mach (Machs are what this forum is about, right?)? Wouldn't you just buy one that way?

2k4mach 12-09-2004 01:28 PM

very nice write up on the parts needed and what not to make it work :THUMBSUP:

NoMoreGT 12-09-2004 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ponygt65
no autos in cobras? really......Can you tell I dont' know THAT much about them...duh.

Now why did they offer the mach with an auto, but not a cobra? I could have sworn I have seen listings on dealers websites with cobras having an auto......ok that is it I am going crazy......

You most likely have seen Auto Cobra's listed online. There was, maybe still is, a problem with ebay and some other automotive for sale sites that when you would put in the VIN of the Cobra, it would automatically list it in the template description as an AUTO.
There are a LOT of dealers out there too who list Cobra's with auto's, because they are dumb and lazy and don't go out and check/or accidentally put it in there. These are usually the dealers who want WAY to much for the car as well. They know nothing about them, besides that fact that they are expensive!

03Steve 12-09-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheWaterSkier
Sorry, each to his own, but why would you want to swap to an auto in a Mach (Machs are what this forum is about, right?)? Wouldn't you just buy one that way?
The thread is about HOW TO put an auto in a 4V. Not SHOULD I put an auto in a 4V. :D

Why would a five speed Mach1 owner want to switch to an auto? What if an owner builds a D1 procharged car and wants to leave the line with boost? What if an owner builds a 700 rwhp setup and is tired of destroying rear end parts, input shafts, and clutches?

Simply put, switching from a manual to an auto is not just for Cobras. :THUMBSUP:

Mach Vader 12-29-2004 09:52 AM

Auto?? In a cobra????.................Why???????

408coupe 12-29-2004 05:25 PM

For the guys asking "why" even after you have been told that the built auto is stronger and actually helps the car to build boost at launch to make it FASTER and doesn't need new clutches every month you need to first own a car that makes 600+ horsepower then act like you know what you are talking about. I went with an automatic trans (c4) in my 408 coupe for similiar reasons as above. :wall:

408coupe 12-29-2004 05:27 PM

Thanks for the good Tech info on the swap 03Steve!! :yeh:

rjw158 12-30-2004 01:35 AM

The auto is the way to go when you are making over 500 HP, want to leave consistently (trans brake), shift faster and never miss a gear.

EZMachN 12-30-2004 04:12 AM

My friend's brother in law's cousin said had an 04 cobra with auto...You guys don't know what your talking about....j/k :tongue:

DanK 01-01-2005 01:56 AM

Re: How to change your 5 speed to an automatic

Thanks 03Steve! I asked this basic question MONTHS ago with no replies. I hurt my knee in a motorcycle accident and have had a couple of surgeries on it. It bothers my knee to drive around with my 5 spd a couple of hours but I am attached to the car and want to keep it rather than sell it. Not to mention I wouldn't want to give up the forged crank in the 5spd models. Also that was a good idea to put the fox live axle in. I already got axles for the Mach, but I didn't like the fact that backspacing is as far as I could get it but the tire lacks that tucked in and fat look. No rubbing, but it looks wrong. Maybe I could run the 325's instead of the 275's. Actually, if the new 5 spd auto is tough enough, I'd like to look into that. If you hear anything on that swap please pass it on to this thread. :yeh:

RotaryMagic 01-07-2005 12:43 PM

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

enjoy... saving money by doing it yourself and not having lentech do it for you... hehehe

GaPonyFarm 01-07-2005 02:58 PM

Hey RotaryMagic! Thanks for that link. There's some great information on that site and I picked up a few good ideas!

03Steve 01-11-2005 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RotaryMagic
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

enjoy... saving money by doing it yourself and not having lentech do it for you... hehehe

Jerry's site. He HATES Lentech. :)

DanK 01-11-2005 08:04 PM

I guess it's too early to say whether the new 5r55s 5 spd auto can be made to work. Install shouldn't be much more to it, but I was thinking the management of the trans.....?

Mach03InFront 01-19-2005 10:54 AM

just beautiful 03steve :worship: :eyebrows: you have anymore pictures?

03Steve 01-23-2005 08:46 PM

http://www.stlmustangs.com/forums/up...1105406842.jpg

http://www.stlmustangs.com/forums/up...1105406935.jpg

http://www.stlmustangs.com/forums/up...1105407007.jpg

Mach03InFront 01-24-2005 09:45 AM

i love that sonic blue
:D :gears:

pdmustgt 01-26-2005 04:21 AM

Theres one thing missing no one has talked about the computer that runs the auto. Power train module , ecu or ecm whatever it is called I thought it contols both engine and trans on a automatic car.

DanK 01-26-2005 09:24 AM

I asked earlier but no respose. I'm a newb at this trans mgmt. thing so can anyone tell me how it works? Do you change out the computer? If so how can it manage a Cobra engine that didn't come with auto. Info please. I would consider putting the 5r55s in the mach if I could get it to work.

03Steve 01-27-2005 12:14 AM

Keep your stock manual computer. I am using my cobra's original computer too. The transmission is shifted manually by me. With the manual valvebody, I click through the gears on my own and hit the switch where the coin holder goes for overdrive. It is a stock foglight switch out of a 96GT.

Or, do what my buddy from Delaware has done with his 03 cobra. Put an auto Mach 1 computer in your stick shifted car. :yeh:

DanK 01-27-2005 09:06 AM

Cool, thanks for the info. :yeh:

VetEtr 02-11-2005 01:12 AM

The three actual 1994 Cobras used as pace cars for the Indy 500 had automatic transmissions. Those are the only Cobras ever produced that weren't sticks. This is a safety requirement for the race. Just a fun fact.