2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reflections on Changing a Flat Tire (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5845)

Tanklawyer 07-31-2003 12:23 AM

Reflections on Changing a Flat Tire

Well, had my first flat with my Mach last night. Picked up a really impressive piece of bent steel wire in my right rear tire -- went in and out again, and was still sticking out of the rubber.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts on my first late model Mustang flat. If you haven't had one, bear these things in mind. Not that there were any problems, but just a couple of annoyances. First, the handle on the jack is just plain stupid. Instead of the normal z-shaped handle that allows you to turn the thing easily, the jack handle is straight, and hinged where it joins the jack itself. So, you have to keep it at an angle (maybe 45 degrees) to turn it, which means you'll bump into the rocker panels if you're not careful. To make matters worse, the handle has a large washer welded on to it, which is used to hold the jack into the car when not in use. This stupid washer is situated on the handle in just the right spot so that if you position the jack on the recommended lifting point on the chassis, it makes it even harder to avoid the rocker panels, and also makes a nice convenient device to scratch said panels. I figured this out after the first turn, after adding a nice scratch. :!!:

My second gripe was the lug nut wrench. It's long so that you can get some leverage (I guess the grannies need a LOT of leverage), but so long that you can't turn it 360 degrees. :??: So, for the first several turns, you have to keep removing it and putting it back on again, and since that part of the wheel is painted, you have to be really careful (I was -- no chips). However, it was just a freakin' pain in the butt. I'm sure the wrench is just right for an Explorer or Expedition.

Anyway, I've changed a lot of tires in my day (used to carry two spares in my old Jeep, which got plenty of abuse), and this was certainly the most annoying experience, thanks to some silly design choices.

Oh, and the new tire will be $200.

But at least the guys at the Goodyear center LOVED the Mach 1. :THUMBSUP:

hotrodnut 07-31-2003 12:45 AM

Sorry about the flat tire. :frown:

I hope it doesn't happen but thanks for the tips if it does. :) :THUMBSUP:

Verk 07-31-2003 12:53 AM

Re: Reflections on Changing a Flat Tire

I liked the fact that my C5 Corvette had run flat tires. I guess you could put run flats on the Mach 1 but, without a tire pressure monitoring system, you might never know you had a flat.

I had a couple on my Vette and the DIC would alert you to the fact that you had a flat on a particular tire. I was unable to really tell driving the car that I had a flat tire. Anyway, thanks for passing along the info. :THUMBSUP:

GR8 WYT 07-31-2003 07:43 AM

Tank,
Man, you have ALL the bad luck...when we gonna do some lunch? Gimme a call tomorrow (Thursday) if you still have my number...

GR8 WYT 07-31-2003 07:44 AM

Tank,
We'll go to Morton's Cajun Rib-eye is AWESOME...I'll expense it as a new prospect!

falcongtho3 07-31-2003 07:55 AM

A $10 4-way lug wrench may sound old fashion, but it's worth it. Especially if you don't let it (or the trunk net) go with the trade in...:THUMBSUP:

The Judge 07-31-2003 12:24 PM

Why are you changing your flat tire? Your Mach 1 came with 36 month, 36,000 mile road side assistance. All you is call 1800241FORD. Just Curious.

69mach03 08-01-2003 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by falcongtho3
A $10 4-way lug wrench may sound old fashion, but it's worth it. Especially if you don't let it (or the trunk net) go with the trade in...:THUMBSUP:
A long socket and a decent socket wrench is what you need. Bare metal all around the lugs isn't very attractive. :mad:

Mikestang 08-01-2003 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Judge
Why are you changing your flat tire? Your Mach 1 came with 36 month, 36,000 mile road side assistance. All you is call 1800241FORD. Just Curious.

And wait how long???

Five Oh B 08-01-2003 11:41 AM

Last time I used Ford's 1-800-241-FORD roadside assistance it took 30 minutes for them to arrive - not too bad. It was for a lock out. I actually don't mind changing my own tire, but certainly don't want to have another. Come to think about it, the last flat tire I ever had was in my Mach 1 back in 1983 or so.

For my '00 GT, I ditched the factory jack and bought a small hydraulic bottle jack and 4-way lug wrench. Way better than the factory stuff. I remove my wheels often to clean the back sides (hard to clean when still on the car due to the brakes).

1mach03 08-01-2003 04:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your tire. I too was shocked when on the hot rod power tour I woke up to a flat tire. A nice big juicy bolt right thru the tire. I just called triple aaa and I had them change my tire then I drove to a place to get it fixed. The guy was real careful with my mach, no scratches.:D It did cost me half a day out on the beach waiting for my tire to be fixed. This is the second time Ive had a flat in my mach 1.:eek: april the vettelady.

Tanklawyer 08-01-2003 11:16 PM

Changed the puppy myself because I was already late in getting home to pick up the kids, didn't want to wait for the roadside assistance, and heck, I like monkeying around with the car!

I totally agree on the four-way lug wrench. That's what I carried in my old Jeep. Gotta dig it out.

In any event, I got the new tire put on at the local Goodyear center. No scratches on the rim, and they put it on the car for no extra charge. Best of all, the guys in the service bay LOVED the Mach 1. They thanked me for bringing it in to their shop, asked me to pop the hood, wanted to know all about the 4.6 4-V and the shaker. They just loved it. Me too!

:THUMBSUP:

305PNYS 08-04-2003 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikestang
And wait how long???
OK, this was actually funny, after everything was ok. I got a blowout, (complete outer sidewall separation freakin FIRESTONES!) on my 2001 F-250 on a somewhat desolate freeway the other day. I called Ford roadside assis. They had a tow-truck out to me in 10 minutes, I s**t you not.
The funny thing was, I ASSUMED the tow truck driver knew how to change a flat. I helped him locate the tools on the radiator (about 150 degrees hot). He turned and banged, trying to get the spare down. He read and re-read the manual. Then he left me, promising to send another driver. I read the freakin manual, then located the "key" to unlock the spare, then assisted the CHP truck who stopped to help me. Then F.R.A. called me twice to find out where the heck I was. I told them not to charge me ($70 as my warranty had just expired) because they sent someone who couldn't change a freakin tire! They charged me anyway. So much for being impressed with their speed LOL!

Cheryl

enforcerfour 08-04-2003 11:29 PM

Changing a flat on the mach 1 is a pain. I had one about two weeks ago while I was at the lake. I had a ride hom so I didn't put the spare tire on but it was still a pain to change for all the above mentioned reasons. :??:

Plyprowler 08-11-2003 12:00 AM

I was riding along at about 70 when I heard a loud pop. I heard a loud noise and actually thought I had blown the muffler off the car because it was going straight. It was when I pulled off to the side of the rode when I felt the fishtailing. It seemed that one of the day's construction workers left behind a tool that went into my tire and blew out the sidewall. Since it was night-time and I was in a bad spot I changed the tire myself and the jack did suck big time. To be truthful it was the first time I ever changed a tire and I really didn't even think to call the RSA. Thinking back I don't think I'd want someone else working that jack around my paint...

fomoco69 07-09-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Five Oh B (Post 59101)
Last time I used Ford's 1-800-241-FORD roadside assistance it took 30 minutes for them to arrive - not too bad. It was for a lock out. I actually don't mind changing my own tire, but certainly don't want to have another. Come to think about it, the last flat tire I ever had was in my Mach 1 back in 1983 or so.

For my '00 GT, I ditched the factory jack and bought a small hydraulic bottle jack and 4-way lug wrench. Way better than the factory stuff. I remove my wheels often to clean the back sides (hard to clean when still on the car due to the brakes).

Yes.......need low profile jack....not much room to work

32VALVR 07-09-2017 01:53 AM

You definitely get the award for the OLDEST THREAD :eyebrows: reborn.

Big Ron 07-09-2017 04:19 PM

Sometimes it's just good to relax and take a trip down memory lane.

jbrad88 07-10-2017 12:07 AM

That's funny. Just read the date on the original post...LOL....

FordMan 07-21-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fomoco69 (Post 1627508)
Yes.......need low profile jack....not much room to work

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32VALVR (Post 1627510)
You definitely get the award for the OLDEST THREAD :eyebrows: reborn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Ron (Post 1627521)
Sometimes it's just good to relax and take a trip down memory lane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrad88 (Post 1627527)
That's funny. Just read the date on the original post...LOL....

Grave diggers For The Win!

03Shadow Grey 07-21-2017 09:29 PM

I'm sorry but I have to do this !

My Jack was hard to use,..boo,hoo,hoo,sniff:eyes:

I'll be needing that man card back ,thank you :31: