2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   HELP!!! BS Ticket for Common Mach Mods (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26219)

40mach1 11-05-2004 04:38 PM

HELP!!! BS Ticket for Common Mach Mods

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I just got this ticket this morning. It was by a SHeriff morotrcycle in Orange County, California. WHen he pulled up next to me he told me that my car was loud and then looked at the shaker and asked me to open the hood. Reluctantly I did and he saw the K&N aircharger (F%$#). Anyway, he asked where the OE stickers were and I told him that I didnt install it and didnt know. Bottom line is he wrote me for emissions violations, not for the loudness. SO my question is what do I do prior to inspection??? Just remove the K&N or the X-pipe and magnapacks too or dont do anything and hope??

I called K&N and they told me the aircharger was legal but that the stickers werent yet available for that unit:??: DOes this make sense? Have any of you received similar tickets? I am pissed because now it looks like I will have to get everything removed then pay again to reinstall?:confused:

This really ruined my day :mad:

Gunny 11-05-2004 04:42 PM

ahhh...you live in california..thats why
im glad i moved from there....they fock with your
rights too much.

40mach1 11-05-2004 04:47 PM

Oh, in case the ticket is hard to read, it says modified emissions. Also, I got nailed for the blacked out taillights (Thanks alot Barry!!) Just kidding I will put them back on anyway.

I have not been messed with by many cops but this guy just was so into my car I spent 1/2 hour telling him that it wasnt a cobra because that it what he said it was. :SMASH:

I am moving...F*** California :THUMBSUP:

gfong 11-05-2004 04:50 PM

Looks like the Fordpower taillight blackouts got his attention. Sorry for the bad luck.

Gunny 11-05-2004 05:01 PM

have u been tested for emissions? if it wont pass then u are illegal

40mach1 11-05-2004 05:28 PM

Well, from what I am told, the K&N IS emissions legal and that the x-pipe and packs will pass the computer smog but not the VISUAL

SInce it will be a state inspector I dont know what they will be looking for or if they will even do a visual

DOES ANYONE KNOW :MADNOEL:

Gunny 11-05-2004 05:35 PM

as long as u pass smog u should be legal....they can only
ticket u for the dark lights and maybe the noise. depends
on the state law. but if u pass smog than emissions is legal...
run it down to have it tested and if it passes, fight the ticket in
court.

40mach1 11-05-2004 06:31 PM

I cant -- I called the 800 number and they told me it has to be inspected by the State person only :mean!:

Scre* it, I am going to enjoy it this weekend when i go to Laughlin -- so is it safe to go 160 on the I-40 after midnight? :D

San Pedro Mach 11-05-2004 06:45 PM

I read in your sig that you have tinted windows. That cop could have nailed you for that too!

High gas prices, bad air quality, too many people, traffic, high cost of living, earthquakes,.....

Why do we live in California?
Oh yeah...Perfect weather! (well, at least in so cal):worship:

00GT 11-05-2004 07:01 PM

i got a ticket..for loud exhaust and no front plate...i only had magnapacks.....keep your stuff on..and just find a shop to sign off your tag

RnJstel 11-05-2004 07:06 PM

The Cop made you open the Hood?????

WTF is that about. Is California really that insane? I would of said no and make him get a search warrant.

Listen you guys, Snow is not that bad anyway.

I feel for you man

40mach1 11-05-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RnJstel

WTF is that about. Is California really that insane? I would of said no and make him get a search warrant.

I feel for you man

You make a good point -- why in the F*** did I do that:mad:

Well, see, I generally give cops the edge and respect them and when he started complimenting the mach I felt that he wanted to just look and thats it so I wanted to cooperate. But I think they may be allowed to look if they have a reasonable suspicion that the car is moded - oh well who knows I am toooo F***** pist to try and figure it out.

Here is what I dont get -- me and the cop actually started having a friendly conversation for at least 15 minutes about cars in general so i figured give him what he wants and he will go away but he still wrote the ticket :Flame: :wall: :anger:

40mach1 11-05-2004 07:25 PM

Oh btw - as he was writing and I opened the hood a rather decent crowd gathered because he pulled me over into a shopping center so I guess my baby got a lot of say negative attention today

And of course, what drives by on the street?

RICER :angry: :wtf:

mach1dsg 11-05-2004 08:43 PM

i don't understand this stupid laws here in california, i thought as long as the emission levels fall withing the range, everything should be fine, but then they have this silly crap about visual inspection :mean!:
would you get in troubles if you said you won't open the hood when asked by a police officer????

Heathdude 11-05-2004 09:01 PM

The K&N Aircharger does not have an EO for California, in fact on the website it states that it is for off-road use only. http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=63-1086

The X-pipe is also illegal, because it isn't factory style mid-pipe. Even if it had cats, it would be illegal because your Mach is still under factory warrenty and smog equipment is covered until 100k. You can't replace the cats until 85k, I believe, if they are not broken.

Of course, he didn't give you a ticket for your exhaust. There was a huge fight over "loud" exhuast last year and the only way they can burn you on it is to have it tested with the proper equipment. But it was an excuse to pull you over and have a look.

bris09 11-05-2004 09:08 PM

I'm no expert, but I don't see where installing a better flowing air cleaner will increase the emissions. A dirty or restrictive air cleaner will. As far as the visual, if it had it from the factory it has to have for the inspection. Meaning if you removed your cats you have to put them back on. They don't have to be Fords but you must have some kind of cats on the car.

sspp 11-05-2004 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RnJstel

I feel for you man

Here in lovely Kalifornia the KGB (read police) will impound the car (and you pay the towing/impound fees) until they get the warrant if you refuse inspection. It's at their discretion if they feel you have something to hide.

People can debate this all they want, but it has happened to me. I also have family members (in-laws) in local PD and Sheriffs and they have confirmed that the fuzz has the right.

Needless to say, I dislike my in-laws...

40mach1 11-06-2004 12:16 AM

Thanks for the help so far but does has anyone in california or even another state had to go through this? Maybe I will just go as is and take my chances :confused:

Lonestar 7 11-06-2004 12:29 AM

First consult a lawyer. I would do two things get a letter from K&N certifying there part. Then get the emissions tested. Next take it to court and fight if you win write a letter to the chief of police and the Mayor of the city and tell them of your lost time and income in fighting this bogus ticket and ask for a copy of the letter be placed in the police officer file which will get read every time he comes up for advancement. I learned a long time ago that you can piss in there wheaties too and teach them not to be suck jerks doing there job. Never think that they are all powerful and you have no recourse because you do!

Good Luck!

ShakeMe 11-06-2004 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 40mach1
Thanks for the help so far but does has anyone in california or even another state had to go through this? Maybe I will just go as is and take my chances :confused:
You better put all the stock stuff back on. If you "take your chances", you will lose. A state referee is there to find "ANY" thing that is not Factory. If you fail in one area, you fail in all and it will cost you $$$. The X-pipe is illegal, the filter charger is illegal, and I'm pretty sure the Packs(not for emission but, loudness) are also.

spanky192 11-06-2004 06:01 AM

in california, every intake and exhaust mod needs to be CARB certified. the CARB certification is common on import mods because they get harrassed by cops alot. there is not really a demand in the domestic market for CARB certified mods so i guess that's why i haven't seen any.

GO2REDLINE 11-06-2004 06:24 AM

Um, i got harrassed in CA too. Appearently you can't do 150+MPH in a 70, and then not stop for them, it makes them very angry. Gestapo i tells ya.

IMachU 11-06-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GO2REDLINE
Um, i got harrassed in CA too. Appearently you can't do 150+MPH in a 70, and then not stop for them, it makes them very angry. Gestapo i tells ya.
That was a good one! Thanks!!!

Anyway, it IS illegal to replace a working catalytic converter in Kalifa. The Magnaflows are legal, but for loudness Packs are not - although both have no bearing on emissions.

*Flamethrower on* And one last thing. This state's politbureau, AKA legislature (democratically controlled and in the pockets of Greenpeace) are the ones who make the laws. You don't want restrictive Soviet laws? Elect someone who has your outlook on life. I just enforce the laws enacted by someone you put in office. An I'm SOOOO glad I have NO inlaws that are like some here. *Flamethrower off*

Orange whip 04 11-06-2004 03:58 PM

Since when does a police officer become a ASE certified technician? Stating on your ticket that your emissions has become modified? This is just an outrage! You know, you can be arrested for impersonating an officer of the law but what can an officer be imprissioned for impersonating an Automotive technician? So much crime and coruption in California and they waste time on giving out a stupid emission ticket. WHAT A F@#$*&% CRIME !!!! This shows how much liberal coruption exsists in the state of California, only to get worse. Whats next?

sspp 11-06-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

*Flamethrower on* And one last thing. This state's politbureau, AKA legislature (democratically controlled and in the pockets of Greenpeace) are the ones who make the laws. You don't want restrictive Soviet laws? Elect someone who has your outlook on life. I just enforce the laws enacted by someone you put in office. An I'm SOOOO glad I have NO inlaws that are like some here. *Flamethrower off*

Very true, but the officer had the discretion to warn or cite. He chose to be a weenie and cite. No flame here, just pointing this out (I guess "weenie" could be a flame towards him...).