2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes & Suspension (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Little Project coming up (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135986)

jbrad88 05-28-2017 09:11 AM

Little Project coming up

Well, I have reached the point as most of us do, where the Mach is old enough that its time to start doing some of the larger maintenance items.

I am attacking the suspension. Specifically the ball joints and tie rods. I have already purchased the complete front LCA assemblies from MOOG and the tie rods as well.

Guess I am just looking for some thoughts and suggestions. I am going to go ahead and get some new ISO's for the front springs since they are coming out anyway when i remove the arms.

Thinking of replacing the rack bushings while I am there since the rack has to be loosened to get to the inner LCA bolt.

Springs are EIBACH pro's that have been in the car for 70k miles. I was thinking about replacing them, but can't convince myself that these things would be worn enough to worry about.

In the back, looking at replacing the UCA's and the bushing in the Housing. Pretty much convinced the Housing bushing needs to stay stock type.

Already did Lower LCA's last year and new iso's....

Just wanted to get some input and thoughts...

And just to be clear, the ball joints are not broken, but they are definately worn and I am also getting more vibration thru the steering wheel then I should be. (thus the tie rods too) nothing bone-jarring or teeth rattling, but noticeably more.

anyway...Car is 99.00% street driving...maybe a track event 1 or 2x a year...

DSG2003Mach1 05-28-2017 09:18 AM

Re: Little Project coming up

springs should be just fine, things like that can go through basically infinite compression cycles without losing anything. The springs should be fully collapsed before they pass that range of motion that would actually cause them to fatigue

03Shadow Grey 05-28-2017 07:32 PM

Consider replacing the inner tie rods as well , unless you ment all 4. Check the hubs too.

Tommy Z 06-19-2017 01:54 PM

I personally would recommend going with the solid rack bushings that Maximum Motorsports carries. The install is easy and they really tighten up the steering without inducing any NVH. I recently installed new (OE) rear upper control arms and replaced the bushings as well. The Maximum bushing tool is worth its weight in gold for getting that done.

As DSG2003Mach1 said, the springs should be fine unless you're wanting to change the ride height. Might want to do caster camber plates if you haven't already.

DSG2003Mach1 06-19-2017 02:19 PM

im still on stock rack bushings but I did put an MM steering shaft in and its pretty awesome (mine was done for clearance reasons on my Kooks LTs but the slop I had is gone). Just something to think about

jbrad88 07-01-2017 11:43 PM

Began my project this evening.

And for those who suggested it....That MM removal tool for the upper housing bushings is the bomb...

that was too freakin easy...

Just to update...

went with Tokiko Illumina's...I like the simplicity and besides somebody bought the rear shocks for me for Fathers day...made the choice easier...:3amin:

Decided to go ahead and go with the steeda sport springs.

Maybe a bad idea, but since everything is coming out anyway...

Basically decided to replace most of the soft parts i can do without too much drama...and do the springs...

got the upper rears in tonight. will tackle the springs and shocks in the rear tomorrow. waiting on the upper strut bushings and will probably hit the front end next weekend

nice little project. looking forward to the results.

jbrad88 07-11-2017 07:44 PM

Got everything installed. Ball joints were shot. picked the car up from the alignment shop this afternoon. very happy with the results.

spent about 5 hours last saturday installing the front end parts...

overall a good experience. Nice to know i still can do work like that and the car can drive down the road when I am done...:ANGEL:

next project...carpet...

jbrad88 07-11-2017 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ball joint passenger side