2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   F*%$ing Bellhousing Bolts. (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91835)

Lord Umoja 04-10-2009 03:59 PM

F*%$ing Bellhousing Bolts.

I need to remove the 3650 from my car to get it repaired. I have EVERYTHING done according to the Haynes/Chilton manual but cannot find the final bolt(s) I have found 5 so far. 3 on the driver side and 2 on the passengers side accessed from below. I think I'm missing a few at the top but how the hell do I get to them?? The trans was suppposed to be at the shop 10 minutes ago, but as long as I get it to them by sunday they can fit me in. This is the last thing I need to do so PLEASE give me some help/advice to get to the upper bolts.

Though searching the forums I found something about removing the exhaust headers (Not just the Xpipe), a motor mount and all sorts of emmsions equipment. Is this necissary?? Best I can see is on top I cant get to anything due to what looks like A/C or heater fittings on the firewall above the pass side cam cover.

mach1of03 04-10-2009 04:04 PM

Re: F*%$ing Bellhousing Bolts.

You need a extension about a foot and a half long with a swivel Tape up the swivel so it doesn`t flop all over and come in from the back of the transmission. It also helps to lower the rear of the engine. P.S.. The two top bolts are super tight.

Lord Umoja 04-10-2009 04:06 PM

Lower the engine? There are bolts on the top of the bellhousing right? Do I go after them from the top or bottom? I have 5 bolts out so far. How many are there total. That POS Haynes/Chiltons manual says "Remove Engine-to-Transmission Bolts" and then shows 5 bolts.

machgsxr 04-10-2009 04:07 PM

Loooong extension, swivel.

I found it easiest to get them from far back by where the mount is rather than trying to go straight down and get them off. Get a flashlight and you will see them if you look at it from by the tailshaft area. Hopefuly you can understand what im trying to say. lol

EDIT: I removed all bolts from underneath the car.

mach1of03 04-10-2009 04:08 PM

Cant remember how many bolts but i know there are two on top. Did you pull your starter. I also removed them all from under the car. You`ll probally bust a socket or two plus your go-nads on the two top bolts.

Lord Umoja 04-10-2009 04:11 PM

Ok thanks guys. I feel like a **** tard. I am a better mechanic that this but god is this thing annoying....

Lord Umoja 04-10-2009 08:55 PM

Had to buy a 20" extension, and add on an existing 10" plus a woble. Got one off, one more to go tomorrow.

BTW its good to be back on this site. Been so busy with my real project and its forums, that I kinda forgot to check here...

mach1of03 04-10-2009 09:08 PM

Glad to have you back

Lord Umoja 04-11-2009 12:34 AM

Its nice to be back, too much time in Nissan land makes me want to drift my car around every turn and learn Japanese....

Mach1BullittMan 04-11-2009 03:43 AM

I use a small bottle jack on one of front the oil pan bolts to push up on the front of the engine till it just starts to lift the front end of the mach a little which will make the tail shaft of the tranny come down so you have much better access to get at those top bolts and every little bit helps.

ModularSpeed 04-11-2009 11:08 AM

Engine mounts lose, tranny crossmember unbolted, jack the front of the engine up.....and you have tons of access.

I always remove the top 2 first....as they are able to be broken lose, then removed with your hands....without binding up due to them being the last bolts removed.

If working on a floor, I have always found it easy to actually lay with your feet towards the rear of the car, on your back, with your head under the oilpan......and "bearhug" the transmission to install/remove the bolts by hand.

Lord Umoja 04-11-2009 12:57 PM

It's out!! On the way to the shop to be repaired. I swear I'm getting a TKO next time this dies.

socalmach 04-11-2009 05:38 PM

I'll feel your pain. The 1st time my clutch went out I was pulling the thing in a friends drive way in off and on rain with temps in the high 30's.

I have to do it again to, #$%*!!