2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Help deciding on an exhaust (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136785)

davisenvy 04-16-2019 10:13 AM

Help deciding on an exhaust

I'm looking for an exhaust for my Mach 1. I just sold a 2001 Mustang GT that had shorty headers, off road X and SLP1. The exhaust was on there when I bought the car and thought it sounded ridiculous. It was way too loud, raspy and embarrassing. I then had Flowmaster 40 series welded in and thought that sound was just about perfect. I want to change things up on this car and from the videos that I have listened to I'm considering a Bassani or maybe even Magnaflow Magnapack. I like the muscle car sound, not the loud raspy rattle of the SLP1. My current set up is completely stock and will be replacing the mid pipe also. Am I on the right track?

ab_mach1 04-16-2019 12:25 PM

Re: Help deciding on an exhaust

The x midpipes really bring out the rasp in any setup. Go with a catted or off road H midpipe. If you're afraid of it being too loud, you could try the regular Magnaflow as opposed to the Magnapacks.

DSG2003Mach1 04-16-2019 12:35 PM

I had magnapacks and loved the sound. I think I had a stock midpipe and they were still loud but most everyone loved em. They do drone on the highway though, it only bothered me on my 650 mile trips.

Then I ran a catted bassanni mid with steeda catback. To me the steeda sounds like stock but louder

davisenvy 04-16-2019 01:18 PM

My plan was to go with an off road H pipe and Bassani exhaust. That is until I heard the Magnapack with an X. I know they are two different sound, but both sound good. For the life of me I just don't want the SLP sound again. Some may like it, but it's not for me.

DSG2003Mach1 04-16-2019 03:07 PM

I always thought SLP was loud for the sake of loud, the actual sound sucked

311-420 04-16-2019 04:09 PM

The SLP powerflo catback sounds good, so do the steeda catbacks and magnaflow catbacks. They all have the highest flow characteristics (straight thru design) with a sweet growl and zero rasp, no matter what type of mid pipe you use. The larger size of the muffler casing along with the packing material inside eliminate the unwanted rasp. The full stainless steel construction also gives a beautiful "ring" that aluminized steel doesn't.

Magnapacks sound good, but only with a stock 4 cat mid pipe. Aftermarket H pipe or x, catted or offroad, doesn't make one bit of difference, will give off rasp with glasspacks or resonators. The rasp people mention is caused when you pair an aftermarket mid pipe with glasspacks (aka stingers, magnapacks, slp lm2) or resonators (lm1).

Slp lm1 isn't a muffler, it's not even a glasspack. It's just a resonator. The only way those may be tolerable is with the stock 4 cat mid pipe.

I use the magnaflow catback and love it. It drones a bit on the highway, but they all do. Some more than others, but these are a good compromise. Not until ford went to an axel back design (on the 05+ cars), which moves the mufflers to the back side of the rear end, did the drone issue get "resolved".

davisenvy 04-16-2019 04:42 PM

This is good information. I listen to the SLP on the computer and it sounds pretty good, but I know better after having them. When I cut them off they were just hollow inside. I definitely want to go with an aftermarket X or H for the power gains so you just narrowed down my options. I don't drive the car all that much so drone doesn't bother me, just no rasp.

DSG2003Mach1 04-16-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1633946)
The SLP powerflo catback sounds good, so do the steeda catbacks and magnaflow catbacks. They all have the highest flow characteristics (straight thru design) with a sweet growl and zero rasp, no matter what type of mid pipe you use. The larger size of the muffler casing along with the packing material inside eliminate the unwanted rasp. The full stainless steel construction also gives a beautiful "ring" that aluminized steel doesn't.

Magnapacks sound good, but only with a stock 4 cat mid pipe. Aftermarket H pipe or x, catted or offroad, doesn't make one bit of difference, will give off rasp with glasspacks or resonators. The rasp people mention is caused when you pair an aftermarket mid pipe with glasspacks (aka stingers, magnapacks, slp lm2) or resonators (lm1).

Slp lm1 isn't a muffler, it's not even a glasspack. It's just a resonator. The only way those may be tolerable is with the stock 4 cat mid pipe.

I use the magnaflow catback and love it. It drones a bit on the highway, but they all do. Some more than others, but these are a good compromise. Not until ford went to an axel back design (on the 05+ cars), which moves the mufflers to the back side of the rear end, did the drone issue get "resolved".

interesting info, never knew there was a sound quality reason to put the muffler after the axle, I assumed it to be a packaging issue.

Although I dont like your post about magnapacks not sounding good with anything but the stock midpipe as I have longtubes with a single cats in the midpipe. I had been thinking about trying them again :headbang:

311-420 04-16-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1633948)
interesting info, never knew there was a sound quality reason to put the muffler after the axle, I assumed it to be a packaging issue.

Although I dont like your post about magnapacks not sounding good with anything but the stock midpipe as I have longtubes with a single cats in the midpipe. I had been thinking about trying them again :headbang:

I've never heard that from a ford exec or anything, but it makes sense when you consider how the mustang got "cushier" in 2005. The newer cars, afterall, seem to be quieter on the inside versus our cars and the ones before. Aftermarket exhaust sure as heck hasn't gotten any quieter. All the newer performance cars have been built with higher regards to NVH than before and they've all gone to axle back exhausts. I have a hard time believing it's all a coincidence, but I could be wrong.

I wish I could report differently about the magnapacks, but I can't. They sound phenomenal at light throttle pressure, but squeeze it above 2k and rasp rears it's ugly head. I really took notice of it while watching my car get dyno'd years ago when I was n/a.

bristol16 04-17-2019 06:35 AM

I think a lot of the rasp comes from the midpipe. X-pipe have more of a raspy sound and H-pipe have a deeper sound to them on these cars. Beyond that, i think ford designed their modular V8s to have that hollow, gutless, raspy sound...that's just how they all are. The h-pipe makes it closer to a deeper muscle car tone, but it's still what people seem to be looking for on the other end of the spectrum that they have affectionately referred to as "exotic" sounding. If the offroad X-pipe didn't strike your fancy a catted H may do the trick with a similar setup.

AlloyPony 04-17-2019 10:14 AM

I have a MAC O/R H-pipe and factory Mach 1 cat-back. It's surprisingly loud and it sounds a m a z i n g under moderate throttle outside the car. There is zero drone inside the car and cruising is very manageable. Still, when I get on the throttle it sounds beautiful. I was very surprised what a difference the H-pipe made.

I've been looking at aftermarket cat-backs, but everytime I drive the car I think "this is perfect".

All the other guys in our group run the SLP stuff. Personally I hate it. Sounds raspy and cackly and "cheap" in my opinion.

davisenvy 04-17-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlloyPony (Post 1633954)
I have a MAC O/R H-pipe and factory Mach 1 cat-back. It's surprisingly loud and it sounds a m a z i n g under moderate throttle outside the car. There is zero drone inside the car and cruising is very manageable. Still, when I get on the throttle it sounds beautiful. I was very surprised what a difference the H-pipe made.

I've been looking at aftermarket cat-backs, but everytime I drive the car I think "this is perfect".

All the other guys in our group run the SLP stuff. Personally I hate it. Sounds raspy and cackly and "cheap" in my opinion.

Do you have a video or sound clip of your car? I accidentally came across your exact set up a while back and can't find the vid anymore.

ab_mach1 04-17-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlloyPony (Post 1633954)

I remember when I first got my Mach back in 2012, I remember hearing an 02 2V with stock mufflers and a Magnaflow offroad X pipe setup and was amazed at how good it sounded. I remember being mad that the previous owner had cut out the mufflers and welded in straight pieces of pipe on what was a Flowmaster catback. I really wanted to try stock catback with an offroad midpipe setup lol.

LXS 04-17-2019 02:57 PM

I’m running what used to be a catted Magnaflow x pipe (it’s O/R now, cats blew out), and a MAC catback...I absolutely LOVE IT!! About two years ago the driver’s side tail pipe broke on me while driving on the freeway. I pulled over right away and luckily that last hanger saved my pipe from flying off onto the freeway. Anyway, I ended up unbolt/removing the pass’ side tail and ran it like it had “dumps.” I actually really liked the way it sounded! Only thing I hate was that the exhaust flange for the tailpipe would rattle. About 3 weeks ago I finally gave in and took the Mach to DMC exhaust (Azusa, CA), and had then fix what broke. I’m still in love with my sound!! :thumbsup:

bris09 06-22-2019 07:06 PM

May I suggest MRT catted or off-road H-pipe with the MRT catback. Have the combo on the Cobra and it gets a lot of compliments. It really brings out the distinct sound of the 4-valve engines. It is on the deep side while not being obnoxious. Or if you are willing to wait, Scott is going to be working on a revised catback for our cars that will be louder. The goal is to try to use the mufflers from his 2015 and up system. Target for completion is Aug or Sept. On the Coyote motors the mufflers sound frickin awesome, want to see how they will sound (providing good fitment) on the 4.6 engines. We're thinking deeper and less rasp than the Coyote since their head design makes them more raspy.

Just1More 07-12-2019 10:13 AM

I'd agree with others on going with an H pipe instead of an X in order to get the deeper tone. For what it's worth, you might even consider the Borla Stingers. Of course I'm partial to them as that's what I started with. And since the longtubes, the catted H seems to keep the tone. When I swap it out for the catless, it gets much louder and the rasp comes out.

Recon 07-12-2019 11:38 AM

I plan on going with Bassani when I get my IRS installed, the exhaust for sra I’m probably going with powerflo. I have headers and a catted X, so hopefully it’ll sound good. Though I’d much rather have an H this is what was on the car when I bought it.

Pick your poison.

67bigblock 07-23-2019 08:55 PM

How is the fittment of the MRT H pipe?
Bolt in bolt out?
No issues?
And what Cat-back would compliment it?
Thnx

67bigblock 07-28-2019 02:13 PM

^^
Any help would be appreciated.
The last time I did this was years ago on much less “tested” and RD’d data.
Thank you

GONEN6T 02-05-2020 10:14 PM

Magnaflow X pipe, no cats, Flowmaster 40’s out of a junkyard off a Mustang......

Loud and proud