2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause. (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74655)

mach1metalhead 03-13-2008 03:53 PM

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 964858)
Ummmmm................Who said this? "or is that too "scientific" for all of you guys????"

Glass houses, bubba!:smack:

To be perfectly honest with you, ANYONE stupid enough to replace an oilpump JUST TO BE ABLE TO RUN A UD DAMPNER, needs to have their head examined!

It's ok dude. You made a comment before realizing exactly how friggin complicated it was. Don't get all butthurt when you get called on it. You're only 18. Believe me! You're gonna make a whole lot more silly statements in your life and the sooner you learn to live with that fact the easier your life will be.

i did not say it was smart to do that, just said it would be the ONLY SMART WAY TO DO IT...

and i, in no way, thought it would be a simple upgrade, i honestly don't care... most people say headers are hard, and i plan on doing that, so difficulty isn't really an issue with me...

slow.04 03-23-2008 08:24 PM

udp = broken oil pump at 7000 rpm been their done that . and ford esp. sucks new motor $ 8000. and no under drive pulleys stock oil is junk. never again.

mach007 03-24-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow.04 (Post 969986)
udp = broken oil pump at 7000 rpm been their done that . and ford esp. sucks new motor $ 8000. and no under drive pulleys stock oil is junk. never again.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i couldn't understand what you just posted.

So your oil pump shattered at 7krpm? Highly Conceivable with large load and increased amplification.
New motors from ford range within 8k? Woah..Thats not right!

Stock oil pumps are junk? I couldn't agree with you more!

If it shattered at 7k rpm that there is a more reasonable and solid explanation as to why it would fail. Vibrations and amplitude would've increased dramatically as opposed to a DD at 3.5K rpm on highway or city drive.
Oh well...

mach007 03-24-2008 10:42 AM

forget it....

slow.04 03-24-2008 08:44 PM

what i was trying to say is that my oil pump came apart at 7000 rpm and i had udp. So i took in to the dealer for some warr. work they decline my claim
with all that b.s i had to deal with from the dealer i just took my truck into the dealer donahoo ford in baltimore md and got all stuff and went back home rebuild my self, now it a 310ci 11.0 to1 n/a motor kooks headers canton oil pan the list go's on the short of it is the oil pump is a weak link .
So a $55 dollar oil pump trash's $6000 motor if replace with a OEM, i would have loved to got a used motor and put the rest of the money towards the payments

djeb2004 10-24-2008 07:24 PM

So who has toasted a motor due to udp's? I mean has everyone with a mach had problems with these?

birdman941 10-24-2008 08:33 PM

If you are thinking about risking your engine
to gain MAYBE 2 or 3HP, think again.
Evidently some people think they know more than Al Papitto,
and most other modular engine builders.
You'll gain more from an Aluminum driveshaft and flywheel.

na svt 10-24-2008 10:06 PM

Good pulley options

March sells large diameter PS pump and alternator pulleys. When used with the stock dampener they should free up a few hp without compromising the oil pump gears.

I gained 11rwhp with a March Fluid Dampener. I dunno if it would have resulte in an oil pump failure or not.

birdman941 10-24-2008 10:10 PM

The March website specifically states
they are not to be used on a Mach 1, or don't fit a Mach 1.
I called a while back and asked why, and they had no answer.
The fluid damper type is probably less risk than the elastomer type.

na svt 10-24-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1064264)

I know, but they do fit.

tmhutch 10-25-2008 02:03 PM

There was a mid season change (2001) with pulley alignment that applies to all late 2001 Cobras and 03/04 Mach's. I thought this was the limitation as Fluidamper didnt make one for the late cars. At least, that's my understanding. Do they make a version for each or are you saying the single version they sell actually applies to the later style water pump and pulley alignment, or both?

JVRMach 11-05-2008 12:40 PM

Anytime you change your cars from stock trim you are asking for more troubles. The more power you add the more things are going to break and the more issues your going to have. You just have to ask yourself if everything your doing is worth it. If you race your car all the time anyway its going to break at some point and pointing fingers at the underdrive pulleys along I think is hard to prove. Just my 2 cents. Good post.

weaver 11-05-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1064264)

So the pulleys mentioned in this thread won't work? http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=86069

rich1 11-05-2008 05:14 PM

Here we go again ..:concerned .I will just leave it with what Sean Hyland says..
"There seem to be increased instances of oil pump failure when Some brands of underdrive pulley kits are used. I believe this is due to inadequate damping with the reduced diameter harmonic balancer provided .Steeda and ASP both make pulley sets that include a built- in Harmonic Balancer ." Improper installation using the old bolt and wrong torque have been factors too.

I installed the Steeda ones on my car and have had no problems peroid.Gained 10hp/12tq with the install . I think that the failures are mostly due to the 5- speed cars that rev higher than the auto . Combine that with the missed shift ,over -rev factor with inferior pulley sets that could be a problem. :D

Ben99GT 11-06-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weaver (Post 1068736)
So the pulleys mentioned in this thread won't work? http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=86069

Those pullies have nothing to do with the harmonic damper.

na svt 11-06-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben99GT (Post 1068946)
Those pullies have nothing to do with the harmonic damper.

this thread should be renamed to "Under Drive Dampeners..and the problems they cause."

JVRMach 11-06-2008 02:06 PM

I have the steeda crank pulley on my 5 speed Mach and your telling me its going to trash my motor? This sound like something Steeda should cover is it happens. Where should I get a better oil pump from?

Stopsign32v 11-06-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVRMach (Post 1069113)
I have the steeda crank pulley on my 5 speed Mach and your telling me its going to trash my motor? This sound like something Steeda should cover is it happens. Where should I get a better oil pump from?

Leave it alone

kidordinn 11-07-2008 03:37 PM

I'm having Steeda install their under-drive pulley because the original Ford harmonic dampener failed and is rubbing against the timing chain cover. This is on a 2003 Mach1 5-speeder with 39K miles, never raced. Ford quality for you.

Anyway, Steeda claims that they have not heard or read from any Steeda customer that OEM an oil pump on the Mach1 was affected by the replacement of the harmonic dampener with their own under-drive pulley. It's difficult to decide who is right, but at this point since the Mach is out of warranty, I might as well try this one. And if the oil pump fails, it'll be another crucial moment to ponder about Ford's quality and decide if I'll ever buy again their "quality" products.

tmhutch 11-07-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidordinn (Post 1069539)
I'm having Steeda install their under-drive pulley because the original Ford harmonic dampener failed and is rubbing against the timing chain cover. This is on a 2003 Mach1 5-speeder with 39K miles, never raced. Ford quality for you.

Anyway, Steeda claims that they have not heard or read from any Steeda customer that OEM an oil pump on the Mach1 was affected by the replacement of the harmonic dampener with their own under-drive pulley. It's difficult to decide who is right, but at this point since the Mach is out of warranty, I might as well try this one. And if the oil pump fails, it'll be another crucial moment to ponder about Ford's quality and decide if I'll ever buy again their "quality" products.

Let me see if I have this straight. Your Ford harmonic balancer failed, resulting in a scratched up timing cover so the solution is to install a part known to inadequately control crankshaft harmonics. And when it causes your oil pump gears to fail and subsequently destroy your engine, it's going to be Fords fault?

Ford screws up enough on their own. They don’t need to accept the responsibility for other manufacturers garbage too.

rich1 11-07-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhutch (Post 1069586)
Let me see if I have this straight. Your Ford harmonic balancer failed, resulting in a scratched up timing cover so the solution is to install a part known to inadequately control crankshaft harmonics. And when it causes your oil pump gears to fail and subsequently destroy your engine, it's going to be Fords fault?

Ford screws up enough on their own. They don’t need to accept the responsibility for other manufacturers garbage too.

This is a known problem on Ford OEM balancers .Since you have not seen one .:smack: .. The Steeda balancers are alot better than the stock ones !Ford will not pay anyway since the car is out of warranty !

tmhutch 11-07-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1 (Post 1069592)
This is a known problem on Ford OEM balancers .Since you have not seen one .:smack: .. The Steeda balancers are alot better than the stock ones !Ford will not pay anyway since the car is out of warranty !

Maybe my post wasnt clear. When the Ford balancer fails, it doesnt destroy the engine, the Steeda's do. Why would you replace a bad part with something even worse. And then blame Ford if the oil pump gears fail while using a substandard product? Why not use an ATI or a Fluidamper? Neither of which have had any association with failed oil pumps. Just doesnt make sense.

And I'm not sure what you are refering to when you say I "havent seen one". I've seen and used both Ford and Steeda balancers. The Steeda is a very nice looking piece. Just poorly engineered and executed.

As far as the Ford balancer failures. Most of them have been on the new Aluminator crate engine that was assembled using the incorrect damper/timing cover combination. Not an inherent flaw in the damper itself.

birdman941 11-07-2008 06:30 PM

Actually, the Alluminator issue was due to the thrust bearing.
People need to stop treating a mod motor like a pushrod motor.
Just say NO to UDP's.
It's not worth the risk.