2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Project Mach (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136643)

JoshMac 10-10-2018 11:47 PM

New Project Mach

4 Attachment(s)
Been away for quite some time but still have my ‘03 TR 5spd. A while back my Sister In Law’s boyfriend picked up a nice 70k mile ‘04 TR auto. The car was for his 16 year old son who after a few short months unfortunately wrecked the car. It went to autction through Copart and I snagged it up. I have been wanting to get back into drag racing and that will be this cars purpose.

Hope to get enough body panels back on it to take to the track before season ends and get a baseline. Only mod to the car is weld in mufflers. Over the winter I will strip some weight, add some 4.56’s, off-road mid pipe with turn downs and maybe some suspension. I love the factory wheels so I’m trying to find a place to narrow my factory front wheels so I can run skinny’s on the OE wheels. Also have a exterior design in mind that will look like the late 60’s Ford Drag Team, more on that once I find a decal shop to print my ideas.

My main goal for the car is a reliable and consistent bracket car that I can compete in local races with. I would like to see 7.90’s with very little performance mods, then add a converter and shoot for 7.50’s. Here are a few pics of the car from right after the wreck and now that everything is torn off. The hood is ruined but for now I’ll just throw pins in it and use it.

HAEG 10-11-2018 08:04 AM

Re: New Project Mach

1/8 mile times??
Good luck with the car.
FYI: My auto mach1 with 4.10 gears goes 9.20 in the 1/8 with two people in the car.

JoshMac 10-11-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAEG (Post 1632776)
1/8 mile times??
Good luck with the car.
FYI: My auto mach1 with 4.10 gears goes 9.20 in the 1/8 with two people in the car.

Yea just run local 1/8 mile tracks for now. I haven’t ever been around an auto Mach until now but I feel like the car should go high 8’s the way it sits My ‘03 5spd went 8.28 with only a Cat-back and a tire so hopefully this one will be about half second slower.

311-420 10-11-2018 10:37 AM

Welcome back, been a while since I've seen that avatar. Way to save one! I agree about the stock wheels. They're a killer design that still stands today.

JoshMac 11-08-2018 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally picked up a donor car for the front end parts I need, unfortunately it’s not red but I’ll paint them eventually. Hope to have most of the parts off the car in the next couple of days and start getting the Mach back together. Still have hopes of getting to make a pass in the next couple weeks for a baseline.

The 4.56’s and O/R X are here and ready to go on once I make my stock pass. Since I was able to pick up a complete V6 car I may swap out the brakes too, I know they save a few lbs and I can make some money off the factory Mach brakes. Finally making some progress, more to come once it has body parts on it.

JoshMac 03-09-2019 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been slow going and a long winter but finally had time to get the car back together this week. The hood was so mangled that I don't trust the factory latch so I did away with it and just going to pin it. My local track should be opening in the next few weeks so hopefully I can make some baseline passes. I'm itching to get the exhaust and 4.56's in the car once I have baseline numbers.

BONESTOCK 03-14-2019 03:11 PM

Nice!

JoshMac 03-27-2019 05:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Making some progress on the interior. I had intended to keep the stock seats for at least the first track outing just to be close to stock weight but somebody wanted them. So I moved my rear seat delete from my ‘03 and added one of my race seats. The bags blew in the crash so I picked up a UPR driver side delete and just took some duck tape to the passenger side. Trying to get everything wrapped up and ready because there is a test and tune at my local track Saturday I plan to attend.

JoshMac 03-30-2019 09:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got to take the car to the track today. Was also the first drive I had in the car since it’s back together. I was a little disappointed by the times it ran but not really surprised. It’s on street tires so I couldn’t load it up as much as I wanted so it was pretty sluggish of the line. Just flashing the converter seemed yeild the best but still slow 60’ times without blowing the tires off.

Got home and decided to start pulling some weight out it. Radio, rear speakers, amp rack, child seat anchors, all trunk panels, spare tire and jack were removed. Next stuff I’ll take out is the quad shocks with brackets and “dog bone” on the differential. I may take it one more time without doing the exhaust just to get the car in the 8’s.

JoshMac 04-26-2019 09:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got round two of the weight reduction done, made a “ram air” headlight and added a set of drag radials before heading back to the track last night. This time I removed the quad shocks, dog bone and the cat back. As you can see from the pics the dynomax mufflers on the car had completely blown out. The glass mat from in the muffler had clogged the tailpipes. I always thought the car sounded a bit odd and muted considering it had weld in mufflers and now I know why.

Headed out to test and tune last night to see what difference it all made. Unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate so I only got two passes in with the car still hot from the drive down. The car picked up over 2 tenths and 2 mph from my first trip. It went 8.85 and then 8.82 about 2 minutes later, both at 81.8mph. The car had some more in it I think but I didn’t get to cool it down or take my time with the weather coming in. With good weather and some time to play with it on the drag radials I think it would go in the 8.60’s without doing anything else.

I also picked up a Dragy performance meter to try out and was really impressed. The Dragy showed I went an 8.89@81.9 on the first pass which was an 8.85@81.8 on the track timing. It also showed my best 0-60 time was 5.38, which is what I would expect considering all the magazines from ‘03/‘04 had the auto cars at 5.6 on the stock Gatorbacks.

Next step is I’d like to find a SCT SF3 and put a canned tune on the car. I’m still holding out on the off-road x pipe and gears to see just how fast I can go with no real performance mods.

311-420 04-27-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshMac (Post 1633999)
As you can see from the pics the dynomax mufflers on the car had completely blown out. The glass mat from in the muffler had clogged the tailpipes. I always thought the car sounded a bit odd and muted considering it had weld in mufflers and now I know why.

time for a magnaflow catback.

edit- or if you want just mufflers ive got a pair of magnaflows with low miles sitting here. forgot i had those..

JoshMac 04-27-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1634001)
time for a magnaflow catback.

edit- or if you want just mufflers ive got a pair of magnaflows with low miles sitting here. forgot i had those..

Just gonna run a custom off-road midpipe dumped under the car, no need for the weight from mufflers or a cat back on a drag car, thanks though. My ‘03 has LT’s, O/RX and a Magnapack knockoff cat back and I love how rowdy it sounds. Hard to beat a straight through muffler on these cars. i