2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Need Some Rearend help/info (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137158)

Twitch 01-08-2021 06:26 AM

Need Some Rearend help/info

Have an 04 mach with stock rearend except using 4.10's.

I have been trying to locate new spider and side gears and had no luck so went to local Ford and he told me that for him he cant order because that gear carrier is listed as non-serviceable.

I have googled and googled for what I need and find nothing.

So anyone here know if I cant just buy the spider and side gears or and I gonna have to drop around $500 for the whole diff carrier? :OUCH::??:

Thanks for any info.

ASH302 01-08-2021 09:17 AM

Re: Need Some Rearend help/info

is this what your looking for
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4215B/86-04...t-99-Cobra-Irs

ASh

ASH302 01-08-2021 09:18 AM

sorry that one above was for 31 spline, this one is for the 28 spline.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4215A/86-04...ction-Lok-Will

ASh

Twitch 01-08-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637509)
sorry that one above was for 31 spline, this one is for the 28 spline.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-4215A/86-04...ction-Lok-Will

ASh

Those are the parts I need but I can find them for the Mach. I contacted LMR about those yesterday, they will not fit the mach and ford parts confirmed this.

I just need to replace those parts in pic but from what Im seeing I gonna have to do the entire carrier.

BTW the white mach's are my fav color

ab_mach1 01-08-2021 11:58 AM

I thought the SRA's for the GT's and Mach's were the same..?

ASH302 01-08-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1637514)
I thought the SRA's for the GT's and Mach's were the same..?

I thought they were the same also. So I do not know.

ASh

ASH302 01-08-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitch (Post 1637513)
Those are the parts I need but I can find them for the Mach. I contacted LMR about those yesterday, they will not fit the mach and ford parts confirmed this.

I just need to replace those parts in pic but from what Im seeing I gonna have to do the entire carrier.

BTW the white mach's are my fav color

So everything in the rear end is stock, but that you have 4.10s is all?

ASh

Twitch 01-08-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637516)
So everything in the rear end is stock, but that you have 4.10s is all?

ASh

Yes, I have FRPP 4.10's.
As for the GT vs Mach I thought they were the same also but the Ford Parts guy says on his PC that they list them not compatible, LMR also confirmed this and referred to Ford parts.

I find it really odd that none are available for the mach, they do come out of the carrier since I removed the entire carrier to replace all the bearings and everything in there.
Thought my original rear noise I had was just bearings but its those gears.

I just cant find what the difference are between the mach and gt anywhere.

DSG2003Mach1 01-08-2021 03:47 PM

If theres a difference I'd love to hear it from somebody that actually knows. I'd put my money more towards it just wasn't set up right in the system to begin with but who knows

Twitch 01-08-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1637519)
If theres a difference I'd love to hear it from somebody that actually knows. I'd put my money more towards it just wasn't set up right in the system to begin with but who knows

Thats what I was thinking but when I used the Ford part # for gt every site I came across said specifically that it will not fit mach. Even on LMR in the description area, clicking on Fitment Issues all it says Will not fit mach.

Im no expert when it comes to the rearends but I know how to do the work.

Only other thought I had was maybe going to local pull a part and getting a GT carrier and overhaul it, only cause today and tomorrow everything is %50 off...EVERYTHING.
That way any future issues I just get GT gear parts.
But then I still have the same issue, what are the differences between these diffs.

ASH302 01-08-2021 06:14 PM

Trying find the diff between the two.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...ar-end.867870/

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ar-end.656031/

honestly idk what the diff is, but what these said.

ASh

Twitch 01-08-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637522)
Trying find the diff between the two.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...ar-end.867870/

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ar-end.656031/

honestly idk what the diff is, but what these said.

ASh

Thx I'll look thru the links.

Twitch 01-08-2021 10:39 PM

I did some more digging on some other sites.
I think this guy at my local ford may have goofed, not sure how since he used my VIN for his search.

Ford Parts local gave me this part# for the carrier 2LZ5-4026-AA
I did a search here and it says does not fit 2004 Mach 1.
https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/For...L5Z4026AA.html

So I did a search there for Mach 1 and I get this page and says its fits mine.It clearly lists all the parts I need and to order I think and completely different part #'s

https://parts.lakelandford.com/produ...m=differential

SO what do yall think?

Twitch 01-09-2021 05:04 AM

OK this is what I found, Idiot ford parts guy I guess. This ford parts elsewhere and here is everything I can order for the diff.

https://parts.lakelandford.com/a/For...FT/FWP095.html

Parts guy gave me part#:2L1Z-4215-EA
Looking in that link shows part# AR3Z4215A
LMR also uses the top #

Im kinda confused abit with part #'s in the link when I cross reference GT #'s that local ford and LMR claim wont fit vs. the link.

EX:
GT Carrier #2L5Z-4026-AA
GT Spider Gear set # 2L1Z-4215-EA

Now using my VIN in that link here are the corresponding numbers to same parts.

They List Mach Carrier #AL3Z4026A
They List Mach Spider gear set #AR3Z4215A

I know different sellers and what not use somewhat diff part #'s but always use the ford numbers in them, meaning the 4026 and 4215.

I dont know who is telling the truth. :wall::wall::wall::nuts::nuts::

ASH302 01-10-2021 07:00 PM

I just get the one that they show as the part number for the Mach, it is werid, but as I said, the diff shouldn't be any different from the GT and Mach but the 3.55 gears that come in the Mach.

ASh

Twitch 01-10-2021 07:11 PM

I was looking on another Ford Online Parts site and saw something about the carrier being a different size, but I coudnt find anywhere else online about the carrier on it.
I ordered a Dana set for an 8.8 28 spline so guess Im gonna find out soon.

My cousin in Austin owns his own speed shop so Monday when he gets to his shop and gets access to his PC there he's going to see what he can find out.

But his response to the issue is just spend $500 and buy a True-Trak complete carrier. I told him everything else but the spider gears were recently replaced.

Now if these gears I ordered dont work and I cant get a def answer, thats exactly what I'll end up doing I guess and be done,

Either way when I know if the parts on order fit or not, I'll post back here with results.

I was looking forward to having my new wheels put on Monday, but now with the the weather here,snow I get to wait until Tuesday before they get here. plus Im not taking the stang in that kinda weather

ASH302 01-10-2021 07:51 PM

yea for sure come back and let us know what you find out.
I'm not far from college station.
Hope it works out with the parts.
Just crazy.

ASh

Twitch 01-18-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637534)
yea for sure come back and let us know what you find out.
I'm not far from college station.
Hope it works out with the parts.
Just crazy.

ASh

Well this is what I have learned on this situation.

For the Mach 1 diff carrier spider gears, nobody makes them. I have called and called with many people and only suggestion I got was to buy any parts listed and try them.

Well thats exactly what I did,bought 4 different sets of spider gears and not a single one worked. Not to worry about money spent,they were all returnable.

Only option is to replace the entire carrier as a whole and I will not be going with the Ford part. Probably gonna get something like a Eaton or Yukon since they can be rebuilt. Im told they will work. My cousin that runs his own speed shop says there shouldnt be any issue going that route.

A couple Ford parts dealers said the mach 1 is the only new edge mustang thats designed that way. I can get the 7.5 and GT/cobra 8.8 parts but nadda for mach and I searched all over for those spider gear for posi everywhere.

Now if someone else knows something more than what I have learned,please give us the info....lol.:angry:

DSG2003Mach1 01-18-2021 02:35 PM

Im really surprised by that for the most part.

I run a trutrac in my 31 spline setup, no clutches to wear out

Twitch 01-18-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1637567)
Im really surprised by that for the most part.

I run a trutrac in my 31 spline setup, no clutches to wear out

The same here, I couldnt believe Ford did that. I would have at least thought an aftermarket company would have had something but no luck and if there is no one knows what part number it is to even try ordering.

It just sucks I have to buy the entire carrier setup since the diff has new bearings and seals, thats how I found out about the 2 chipped teeth on the spider gear. But since I cant find any part for it I put it back together for time being and thats been 2 months ago now....lol.

Its really not bad, I cant tell by driving it,makes no noise,no whine or popping at all. Backlash is in spec.

Is the trutrac a noisy rear?
Ive heard that you can hear the posi engage if I remember correct about the one I was reading about.

jbrad88 01-19-2021 05:49 PM

I would recommend calling someone like Pyle Brothers Differentials in Baytown, Texas. Or Cliff Parsons at Parsons differentials in Beaumont. Two best third-member shops I know of.

Just a suggestion.

01TruBluGT 01-19-2021 06:24 PM

In my Mach the factory diff was changed out to a 31 spline FRPP Trac loc. At some point I had an "accident" and grenaded a few teeth off the ring gear. Pulled it all apart and the housing had a nice gouge in it from one of the teeth so I didn't want to re-use the housing. I had the factory 28 spline in the garage so I pulled it apart and put the clutches and spider gears out of the FRPP Trac loc into the factory Mach housing. Put it all back together and it's still working. Granted I only have about 38k on my Mach but this was done in maybe 06-07 and at least 10k on it this way.

Twitch 01-19-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 1637579)
In my Mach the factory diff was changed out to a 31 spline FRPP Trac loc. At some point I had an "accident" and grenaded a few teeth off the ring gear. Pulled it all apart and the housing had a nice gouge in it from one of the teeth so I didn't want to re-use the housing. I had the factory 28 spline in the garage so I pulled it apart and put the clutches and spider gears out of the FRPP Trac loc into the factory Mach housing. Put it all back together and it's still working. Granted I only have about 38k on my Mach but this was done in maybe 06-07 and at least 10k on it this way.

See I knew there was a part somewhere that would work. I'm def checking that out.

Twitch 01-19-2021 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrad88 (Post 1637578)
I would recommend calling someone like Pyle Brothers Differentials in Baytown, Texas. Or Cliff Parsons at Parsons differentials in Beaumont. Two best third-member shops I know of.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the info. I dont go into Houston area often at all. I try to avoid it...lol.

Was hoping my cousin would know since he owns his own speed shop in Austin but he is mostly high end cars and classics, stuff he has had in there are old 60's shelby's, Ferrari and such.

ASH302 01-19-2021 11:06 PM

I am blown away with this information about the stock mach diff. Just blows me away and why Ford would not have replacement parts or anyone just blows me away.
My rear end isn't stock so i'm not worried about it, but feel bad for you and others out there with the stock diff.

ASh