2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76408)

Phil 06-12-2009 03:19 PM

Re: Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup

4 Attachment(s)
More pics:

White04Mach 06-13-2009 08:38 AM

Get that thing together Phil, I wanna see that thing run 9's. :claus:

Phil 06-13-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White04Mach (Post 1163555)
Get that thing together Phil, I wanna see that thing run 9's. :claus:

Still, alot of work needs to be done to the vehicle. That's my goal, is to have a 9 sec street car..

Phil 06-13-2009 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jeff had to extend/modify the factory pickup to make sure there was proper pickup distance with the MMR deep sump pan and clearance with the windage tray. The MMR oil screen windage tray had to be modified also.

In the pics posted, he used clay to check clearance between pan & pickup.

Here is an e-mail he sent me concerning this:

"With the stock pick-up & MMR deep pan, the pick-up was more than 1-1/2" off the bottom of the pan. This would mean you'd have 2-3 quarts of oil that that pick-up would never get to. We had the pick-up extended by a little more than an inch (tig welded). You'll see the picture with the clay (before and after) showing that we have about 3/8"-1/2" clearance now, which is where it needs to be."

littlemags 06-13-2009 12:34 PM

^^ jesus Phil....that is GOOD to know. I wonder if MMR offers an extended pickup to work with that deep of a pan??

Phil 06-13-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemags (Post 1163606)
^^ jesus Phil....that is GOOD to know. I wonder if MMR offers an extended pickup to work with that deep of a pan??

Yes, stuff like this can cause serious problems if not checked and just relying on advertisement or word of mouth. Here is how MMR lists this pan:

"Unlike some other brands the MMR pan works with all Longtube and Shorty style headers and works with the stock oil pump and pick-up or The MMR Street/Strip High Flow oil pump and pick-up tube. Available in Red, Black or Silver (powdercoat)" end quote

I'm not knocking MMR, just advising no matter what deep sump oil pan you go with, you need to have this important pickup to pan distance checked. Then corrected if not within proper clearance. Plus, having an engine builder you can trust that knows all situations/possible problems to check during the build is very important.

Also, we had the powder coating redone on my pan only to the outside since MMR coats the inside also. Can not take a chance of pieces of powder coating comming off. Same with cam covers and front engine cam chain/sprocket cover.

Braceyaself 06-13-2009 04:20 PM

I swear mmr has no common sense. I was going to buy somethings from them but after seeing and reading How many issues people have i wont deal with them. Im sure they are nice people but no way in hell do i trust there product. Good idea getting rid of the double poweder coat. why in gods name would they ever do that? Makes no sense

ps looks amazing other wize brotha!

Phil 06-13-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braceyaself (Post 1163661)
I swear mmr has no common sense. I was going to buy somethings from them but after seeing and reading How many issues people have i wont deal with them. Im sure they are nice people but no way in hell do i trust there product. Good idea getting rid of the double poweder coat. why in gods name would they ever do that? Makes no sense

ps looks amazing other wize brotha!

I hear ya! Also the factory front baffles have to be removed or bent downward for the windage tray to fit. MMR powder coated the baffles in factory position knowing I ordered their windage tray at the same time.

Thanks for the comp!!!!

Phil 07-06-2009 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some pics of the motor.

Problem with the MMR distributor drive off of the cam bolt. Jeff talked to Ron Robart of Fox Lake Power Products concerning some critical problems with this setup.

To much slop between the socket fit to cam bolt. The cam bolt has been known to screw itself out under hard acceleration. The socket has been known to crack. The cam cover distributor boss does not align properly to the cam bolt. To many problems that can/will cause damage to the motor.

Jeff is looking into a possible cog belt drive for a different distributor setup or modifications to the current setup. This will be something that will be approached without rushing it.

Roy 07-06-2009 12:01 PM

Call Modular Performance and ask John or Mike to set you up with one thats same as whats on there car.

Big Datty 07-06-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1172256)
Some pics of the motor.

Problem with the MMR distributor drive off of the cam bolt. Jeff talked to Ron Robart of Fox Lake Power Products concerning some critical problems with this setup.

To much slop between the socket fit to cam bolt. The cam bolt has been known to screw itself out under hard acceleration. The socket has been known to crack. The cam cover distributor boss does not align properly to the cam bolt. To many problems that can/will cause damage to the motor.

Jeff is looking into a possible cog belt drive for a different distributor setup or modifications to the current setup. This will be something that will be approached without rushing it.

That's exactly why I didn't go with that set up.

DanB 07-06-2009 02:28 PM

looks sweet

Big Datty 07-06-2009 06:14 PM

I'm running the ls1 coils and big stuff with no problems

Roy 07-06-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1172266)
The belt driven distributor set up?

Yep

Linumup 07-06-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1172540)
And you rev to ???? with no saturation problems?

7800 RPMs !! :claus:

You will get it Phil , like you said : dont rush it ! :smokin:

Big Datty 07-08-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1172540)
And you rev to ???? with no saturation problems?

I only have stock cams so rarely do I see more than 6900 Wild Bill.

Big Datty 07-08-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1173209)
Thanks for the info!

Gonna have yours ready? Be nice to see you again man. Hows your car coming? I know it's in good hands with those guys.

Phil 07-10-2009 04:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
John from Modular Performance sent me pics of their setup from a 2004 Cobra with a cog belt distributor drive, carbed, high CR 4v Mod Motor.

Fast Ben 07-12-2009 12:45 AM

Hey phil i am interested in one of your abs delete manifolds for a 94 do u know if it will have enough clearance for a turbo kit that requires u to relocate it

Phil 07-12-2009 10:25 AM

After hashing over what to do at the shop Saturday, Jeff & I decided to modify the exsisting distributor drive system from MMR and stay away from a cog driven distributor for now.. I also stand corrected about the drive socket cracking, I mis understood what Jeff was explaining to me from his talk with Ron Robart.. There are no reports of the sockets ever cracking and is highly unlikely..

I am going to get the distributor boss pilot bore on cam cover aligned with the Cam bolt. I will be machining the back of the cam cover to shorten it and at a slight angle, bringing the distributor pilot bore to cam bolt in line. This is with the cam cover torqued to proper specs.. Then we will pin the cam cover to the head, to insure it maintains this proper alignment.

I will be locating different high quality sockets to acheive a tighter fit to cam bolt. If I can't find one, I will machine/EDM die sink a socket out of titanium. The current slop is about 1 degree, which is not really that bad compared to cam gear driven distributors.

I will be pinning the socket to the 3/8" drive shaft on distributor, this will eliminate the socket falling off when removing the distributor.

The 12mm SPS cam bolts have been installed to 105 in-lbs vs the factory 10mm bolts at 90 in-lbs. Plus a high quality lock tight used. We feel that with the proper alignment and eliminating any side load to cam bolt/socket drive, there should not be a problem with the cam bolt loosening.