2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Body, Chassis & Interior (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   repainting hood body work needed (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123028)

ASH302 07-02-2012 03:56 PM

repainting hood body work needed

Well i was thinking of doing some of the body work myself on the hood, get it sprayed after i get done with it, i have hood pins and don't want em anymore, just curious what goes into filling in holes on a hood and what would be needed to fix it,
been wanting to learn how to do this stuff, also thought about going to school for body work, so be a good time learning and seeing if i want to take this alittle more with going to school

ASh

Mach828 07-02-2012 04:13 PM

Re: repainting hood body work needed

They make this fiberglass resin. You can use it on fiberglass or bare metal. I used it to fillin my emblem, trunk, and antenna holes.

The method I used was you sand it down to the bare finish (fiberglass or metal), with a rough paper. (80 to 220 grit). Then I cut a piece of sheet metal, which I also rough sanded, and placed the fiberglass resin on it, and placed it on the back side of the hole. In your case this would be under the hood. Then pressed it until the resin came out from the top side. I placed addition resin on the top, and then sanded.

For larger holes, they also sell these fiberglass sheets. So you can just place the fiberglass sheet on top of the area your repairing, with the resin, and repair it that way. This might be the way to go in your application, if you want a more appealing underside of the hood.

Thats the methods I've used, dunno if its the 100% right way. But it worked.

Best to let the body shop you get your hood painted, just handle the job. Or leave the holes from the hood pins, I think they look cool

ASH302 07-02-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1496378)
They make this fiberglass resin. You can use it on fiberglass or bare metal. I used it to fillin my emblem, trunk, and antenna holes.

The method I used was you sand it down to the bare finish (fiberglass or metal), with a rough paper. (80 to 220 grit). Then I cut a piece of sheet metal, which I also rough sanded, and placed the fiberglass resin on it, and placed it on the back side of the hole. In your case this would be under the hood. Then pressed it until the resin came out from the top side. I placed addition resin on the top, and then sanded.

For larger holes, they also sell these fiberglass sheets. So you can just place the fiberglass sheet on top of the area your repairing, with the resin, and repair it that way. This might be the way to go in your application, if you want a more appealing underside of the hood.

Thats the methods I've used, dunno if its the 100% right way. But it worked.

Best to let the body shop you get your hood painted, just handle the job. Or leave the holes from the hood pins, I think they look cool

Well i'm wanting my hood painted black, i was thinking of filling the holes in and then plastic dip it black till the time comes to get the roof and hood painted black, i guess you could say its driving me crazy being like that

ASh

White04Mach 07-02-2012 06:25 PM

When my cousin filled my decklid holes on my junkyard decklid, he grinded the holes with a small 36 grit disk for a good bite and then put tape on the backside of the hole and used duraglass (basically bondo with fiberglass hairs in it) and filled the holes with it and let it dry. Then ground it back down with 36 grit (duraglass is very tough) and then smoothed it with a thin layer of bondo. Sanded smooth and primed the entire decklid and left it out in the sun to bake for a entire week so if any shrinkage occurs in the bondo/duraglass/primer it can be blocked out before paint.

ASH302 07-03-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White04Mach (Post 1496413)
When my cousin filled my decklid holes on my junkyard decklid, he grinded the holes with a small 36 grit disk for a good bite and then put tape on the backside of the hole and used duraglass (basically bondo with fiberglass hairs in it) and filled the holes with it and let it dry. Then ground it back down with 36 grit (duraglass is very tough) and then smoothed it with a thin layer of bondo. Sanded smooth and primed the entire decklid and left it out in the sun to bake for a entire week so if any shrinkage occurs in the bondo/duraglass/primer it can be blocked out before paint.

thanks for the tip, i have the time since i don't have to drive the mach
i just think its going to be hard getting from under the hood, just really tight there,

ASh

ASH302 07-03-2012 12:56 AM

is there anyway to do it from the top of the hood? with out having to work from the bottom? just wonder what the best route for that would be. i've been looking threw a body shop book and can't seem to find the right answer

ASh

NTMAREMACH 07-03-2012 07:08 AM

I'm no body man by all means but if you have two layers you drilled through than you need to probably do the work from the top or you'll have to make the bottom hole big enough to work on the top one. If this is the case than the only way I can see it done would be to take a ball peen hammer with the ball larger than the hole and .................................................. .........................................carefully hit the hole to make it lower to accept a small piece of sheet metal and some bondo or fiberglass resin. You don't want a lump in the hood where the holes were.
Didn't Russ tell you not to use real hood pins.LOL

C-dub 07-03-2012 07:48 AM

how about a pic or two?

ASH302 07-06-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTMAREMACH (Post 1496531)
I'm no body man by all means but if you have two layers you drilled through than you need to probably do the work from the top or you'll have to make the bottom hole big enough to work on the top one. If this is the case than the only way I can see it done would be to take a ball peen hammer with the ball larger than the hole and .................................................. .........................................carefully hit the hole to make it lower to accept a small piece of sheet metal and some bondo or fiberglass resin. You don't want a lump in the hood where the holes were.
Didn't Russ tell you not to use real hood pins.LOL

funny you say that, i didn't know his were fake till after i drill the holes, lol was kinda sad

ASh

ASH302 07-06-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-dub (Post 1496537)
how about a pic or two?

i'll get a pictures tomorrow and post up

ASh

White04Mach 07-06-2012 10:04 PM

Post #4 pretty much tells how my cousin did mine.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...iberglass.html
I wouldn't put metal in any fiberglass panel. If moisture ever gets to it (and usually does) the metal piece will rust and rot the fiberglass panel from the inside out.

ASH302 07-06-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White04Mach (Post 1497250)
Post #4 pretty much tells how my cousin did mine.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...iberglass.html
I wouldn't put metal in any fiberglass panel. If moisture ever gets to it (and usually does) the metal piece will rust and rot the fiberglass panel from the inside out.

got told just to pick up a fiberglass repair kit and do it that way,
thanks for the link i'll look over it, yeap don't want it to rust, be a waste of time and effort if that happen

ASh

JPJNTX 07-06-2012 11:14 PM

Body shops hate it when customers try to do the body work themselves. Most of the time, they wind up redoing it.

03SHKR 07-06-2012 11:26 PM

I'm getting the front repainted too (hood, bumper, tops of fenders). The factory stripe is removed and you can see how much the DSG has faded. :grr:

ASH302 07-06-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPJNTX (Post 1497273)
Body shops hate it when customers try to do the body work themselves. Most of the time, they wind up redoing it.

this will be me doing it all from home

ASh

ASH302 07-06-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03SHKR (Post 1497274)
I'm getting the front repainted too (hood, bumper, tops of fenders). The factory stripe is removed and you can see how much the DSG has faded. :grr:

its just part of it, now when i get my front bumper and fenders and etc painted that will be done at the body shop

ASh