2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask A Police Officer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45012)

04VAMach1 07-14-2007 08:07 AM

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 340.29_m/s (Post 823130)
What good is it in the cargo hold if all hell breaks loose on the plane? I think that it should still be accessible somehow, in the event it's needed. It should atleast be secured somewhere in the cockpit.

Well, it is the same place that my firearm goes if I want to travel with it. The airlines all have different rules, but the TSA allows me to transport my unloaded firearm in a locked hard case in my checked baggage. Having additional firearms in the cabin and cockpit are opportunities for terrorists and the intent of the TSA is to limit those opportunities.

A plane is a dangerous place to have a firearm. If you miss, you may damage the integrity of the plane and lose cabin pressure, which would be very bad. The pilot keeps his firearm in a small lock box in the cockpit. That would be the only appropriate place to secure a firearm on the plane and it is not likely to be large enough to store more than one. Besides, a good officer is probably pretty resourceful. :3:

01TruBluGT 07-16-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04VAMach1 (Post 823159)
A plane is a dangerous place to have a firearm. If you miss, you may damage the integrity of the plane and lose cabin pressure, which would be very bad. The pilot keeps his firearm in a small lock box in the cockpit. That would be the only appropriate place to secure a firearm on the plane and it is not likely to be large enough to store more than one. Besides, a good officer is probably pretty resourceful. :3:

That is true, I have acctually heard of instances where the Captian has refused to let officers carry firearms on board while transporting a prisioner. I know a friend of mine is LEO and he had to take a class before he went to do a prisioner transport. The put him in one of thoes simulators where you fire at the screen, there were like 5 people you had to shoot without hitting anything else to pass. There was also a couple of hours of classroom training.

What I don't understand is the Federal Air Marshall Service carries .357sig. That is a pretty strong round to be shooting in a closed in space. Wonder if they use Magsafe ammo or some other type of frangible ammo???

InDShadow 07-18-2007 07:34 PM

Just heard police in SC are now using GPS in their vehicles to issue tickets. How is this possible? doesn't GPS track their speed and not yours unless its in YOUR vehicle?

sure sounds wierd to me.

IMachU 07-18-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 824018)
Wonder if they use Magsafe ammo or some other type of frangible ammo???

Yup, frangible rounds....they hit soft stuff (like flesh) and do what they are supposed to do. They hit hard stuff (like airframe bulkheads) and they go "poof!"

01TruBluGT 07-19-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDShadow (Post 825382)
Just heard police in SC are now using GPS in their vehicles to issue tickets. How is this possible? doesn't GPS track their speed and not yours unless its in YOUR vehicle?

sure sounds wierd to me.

From what I have learned from acctually getting tickets, they are probably using the GPS units to pace you rather than directy predict your speed. They get behind you and keep a "constant" distance. Determine your speed based on how fast they are having to travel to keep the "constant" distance.

Don't know why they would use GPS, I know here all police cruiser's speedos are calibrated every so often. I guess the GPS unit might keep them from having to go through the process of having the cars calibrated???

FstMach04 07-19-2007 04:03 PM

Hello to any Georgia LEO, I have a couple quick questions. First off, I just recently moved out of town and decided to get a firearm and license for protection purposes. Sorry for my ignorance, but the laws seem a little blurry to me. When transporting a firearm in my vehicle, must it be obliviously stored or concealed somewhere, such as in the glove box? And, if I am stopped by a police officer, should I, or am I supposed to let him/her know that I have a firearm in the vehicle without them asking, or just if they ask? I wish these laws were a bit more clear, maybe some of you guys can offer some help. My other question is a little less important, but I've always wondered who was right. In the event that I am waiting to turn left at a traffic light which states "Yield On Green", and a car coming in the opposite direction is turning right (onto the same street I am turning onto) and there isn't a yield sign for them, who yields to who? I assume I would yield, at the traffic light and wait for them to turn right, even if the other traffic is clear. But what about if they have a yield sign too? My circumstance arose while turning left to get on the interstate and someone else was coming in the opposing direction, turning right to get onto the interstate. My light was green (not an arrow, just the green light) and states yield on green. But they also had a yield sign. Who yields to who? Just curious, if there was a wreck, who is at fault??? Sorry so long!

InDShadow 07-19-2007 09:00 PM

I understand what your saying with the "PACE" tactic, but does it allow the officers to stop gettting their speedo's calibrated. Where does SC law state that GPS is an approved means of pacing a vehicle? Also where does it stsate the requirements for the calibration testing of the speedos in the patrol car. How often are they required to get them calibrated.. ? I ask this because I have a 18 y/o son and want to know the facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 825641)
From what I have learned from acctually getting tickets, they are probably using the GPS units to pace you rather than directy predict your speed. They get behind you and keep a "constant" distance. Determine your speed based on how fast they are having to travel to keep the "constant" distance.

Don't know why they would use GPS, I know here all police cruiser's speedos are calibrated every so often. I guess the GPS unit might keep them from having to go through the process of having the cars calibrated???

01TruBluGT 07-20-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDShadow (Post 825844)
I understand what your saying with the "PACE" tactic, but does it allow the officers to stop gettting their speedo's calibrated. Where does SC law state that GPS is an approved means of pacing a vehicle? Also where does it stsate the requirements for the calibration testing of the speedos in the patrol car. How often are they required to get them calibrated.. ? I ask this because I have a 18 y/o son and want to know the facts.

Well I am not sure might want to ask a SC LEO about the specifics.

As for the GPS being "approved" there probably is no approved list of speed determining devices, most likely they can use whatever they want provided it is plausable, in other words they cant say that as you drove by the trees blew to a 55deg angle to the ground so they used geometry to determine the distance you traveled and counted it out in "mississippi" units. But anything else that can determine speed is fair game. I once got a ticket based on the officer "Thinking" I was speeding.

In my experience when it comes to tickets you are guilty unless you can Prove you are innocent.

InDShadow 07-20-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 826036)
In my experience when it comes to tickets you are guilty unless you can Prove you are innocent.

Or you can prove the means and equipment they used is not within the states certification standards then you can get the ticket dismissed. This is why I want to know if GPS is a state approved speed certification. You know the states take a long time before they approve a new way. The officers will make statements sounding official hoping you will just pay the ticket. Insurance will go up on an 18 y/o if they get a ticket. This in turn affects my pocket since I have to pay the premium for him. BTW, have a 16 y/o about to get insured too. YIKES!!

01TruBluGT 07-20-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDShadow (Post 826057)
Or you can prove the means and equipment they used is not within the states certification standards then you can get the ticket dismissed. This is why I want to know if GPS is a state approved speed certification. You know the states take a long time before they approve a new way. The officers will make statements sounding official hoping you will just pay the ticket. Insurance will go up on an 18 y/o if they get a ticket. This in turn affects my pocket since I have to pay the premium for him. BTW, have a 16 y/o about to get insured too. YIKES!!

Like I said might want to call the state and ask about that. I would have to imagine that if the state is purchasing and distributing the GPS units they would be sure to make sure that it would hold up in court first.

Lastly don't kid yourself into thinking all it takes to get a ticket dismissed is by proving the method they used is not accepted. I had a ticket once where no Radar/Laser or pacing was used. The officer simply gave me a general speeding ticket. When I went to court to fight it I asked how he determined that I was speeding. He said he saw me and could tell I was speeding. I asked if he could provide me with any documentation showing that his eyes were calibrated to accurately determine speed, his response - NO, I then asked if he had a letter from an eye doctor showing he had 20/20 vision, his response - NO, I asked if he had taken any special classes or had any certificates showing any special schooling teaching him how to determine speed by sight alone, again his response - NO. After it was said and done the judge decided that the officer having years of experience in traffic division was more adept to noticing and recognizing speeding when he sees it. I then told the judge that I worked in construction since I was 15 so does that mean I could build a high rise without a tape measure and a level. The judge found me guilty but since I fought a good fight he would reduce to charge to a non moving, still cost me just as much as the speeding ticket.

FloridaOrange 07-20-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FstMach04 (Post 825706)
Hello to any Georgia LEO, I have a couple quick questions. First off, I just recently moved out of town and decided to get a firearm and license for protection purposes. Sorry for my ignorance, but the laws seem a little blurry to me. When transporting a firearm in my vehicle, must it be obliviously stored or concealed somewhere, such as in the glove box? And, if I am stopped by a police officer, should I, or am I supposed to let him/her know that I have a firearm in the vehicle without them asking, or just if they ask? I wish these laws were a bit more clear, maybe some of you guys can offer some help. My other question is a little less important, but I've always wondered who was right. In the event that I am waiting to turn left at a traffic light which states "Yield On Green", and a car coming in the opposite direction is turning right (onto the same street I am turning onto) and there isn't a yield sign for them, who yields to who? I assume I would yield, at the traffic light and wait for them to turn right, even if the other traffic is clear. But what about if they have a yield sign too? My circumstance arose while turning left to get on the interstate and someone else was coming in the opposing direction, turning right to get onto the interstate. My light was green (not an arrow, just the green light) and states yield on green. But they also had a yield sign. Who yields to who? Just curious, if there was a wreck, who is at fault??? Sorry so long!

I'm not LEO but might have some insite for you. As far as the yield on green issue, you would have to yield if it's a regular intersection. You are the one who has to cross traffic to complete your turn. If the yield for the driver coming your way actually occurs further up the road (not a "t" type intersection) then they would have to yield because you are already (potentially) on the roadway.

The book I was studying for concealed weapons permit says for Florida, even without the permit you may carry a loaded weapon in an enclosure. This enclosure could be in a secured range bag, glove box or center console. The book also states that you shouldn't offer up the fact that you are carrying unless it directly relates to the reason you were stopped. If you were to get stopped for a simple speeding ticket then there is no need to inform the stopping officer. I don't totally agree with this and I'm sure that if I do get pulled over I will state what is in my vehicle.

04VAMach1 07-20-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDShadow (Post 826057)

It all depends on what has been accepted in court. When a new procedure is introduced (such as using GPS to determine speed), the first legal test is when it is contested in court. The state will bring experts in to testify that it does indeed meet certain criteria and if the judge/jury accepts it, then it sets a precedent for future cases.

Unless you have deep pockets (or can find a good attorney willing to do it pro bono) you don't want to be in this situation. The state prosecutors are likely to have been waiting for someone to challenge the new procedure and will present lots of evidence to prove that it is acceptable.

As an example, VA currently does not permit the HGN test (officer watches your eyes as you watch him move a pen/light) as evidence for DUI. It is used by officers, but there has never been a precedent set for its use so the officer has to conduct other FSBs to charge someone with DUI. Prosecutors are prepared for someone to challenge a DUI where HGN is the sole FSB used.

mach1_04 07-25-2007 11:34 AM

I have a quick question, when cops are sitting off the side of the road shooting radar, are they required to have there running lights on or is it legal for them to have all there lights off?

acreature 07-25-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1_04 (Post 828794)
I have a quick question, when cops are sitting off the side of the road shooting radar, are they required to have there running lights on or is it legal for them to have all there lights off?

Some (very few) states require it... I believe MI is one.

VA no, and NC no.

Newskool Mach 07-27-2007 06:04 PM

I Just bought my Mach , and I've been a south Florida Police officer for 23 years. I am currently a K9 handler. I have been a performance car owner my whole life. And yes I recieved a 67 in a 55 ticket in my Mach. Florida trooper could care less that I was a Police Officer. I am willing to share my So Fla expertise. So ask away. On the Officer discretion thing I almost never have my mind made up till I talk to the violator. Don't lie or tell me I'm wrong and you have a 99% chance of getting a verbal warning. Of course my job is catching real bad guys not writing tickets but I do write a few to help justify my narcotics searchs.

Newskool Mach 07-27-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Florida its not required

Newskool Mach 07-27-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 825641)

In certain areas in Florida police cruisers are equipped with GPS to record the cruisers speed. Officers are then being diciplined if it shows they were speeding for no legal reason. It has been proven in a few court cases these systems are not very accurate. Im not saying that a gps that determines a violators speed is inaccurate I just dont know. Whoever manufactures the unit will have to prove it is accurate or they wont sell many.

IMachU 07-27-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Not in Commiefornia, either. We like to go stealth, ya know!!

Welcome to the copper forums, NewSkoolMach!!!!

Newskool Mach 07-28-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 830218)
Not in Commiefornia, either. We like to go stealth, ya know!!

Welcome to the copper forums, NewSkoolMach!!!!

Thanks IMachU How about the CHP they write other cops? Very interesting thread. this ask a police offficer lol.

HamMach1 07-28-2007 01:01 PM

Actually, I have a question...just kinda hit me while reading some of these things ha.

Anyways, a couple things:

1. I work as a cashier at a grocery store (being 18, I didn't have much of an option) and I see kids who steal all the time. But supposidly "I don't have the authority to do anything about it" so I just let them be. I try to let a manager know but it's tough to get their attention without causing a seen. So what if I know who the kids are and such? Am I allowed to report them. It's the chewing tobacco that they're after. So I was just wondering that if I'm unable to rise attention to a manager about them could I later report them to someone?

And

2. A couple of days ago I was a stop light on one of the busiest intersection in the area, a typle + type intersection. Well we were 2nd in line in the far right lane behind this black F-150. What happened was that the LEFT turn lanes light went green so both left turn lanes were going...left (lol). Well this guy in the F-150 slowly creeps up to the line sort of acting oblivious to the fact that the lanes to go straight were still red...and then just goes. Well, one of the vehicles turning left coming towards us, almost hit the truck, horns were honking left and right. There was no police officer around so I was wondering if that too was something I could have reported like could I report the license plate and location?

(Another thing popped into my head ha sorry)
Around 5 oclock when everyone's getting out of work intersections get packed. Well about a good 85% of the time, when the light turns green everyone's gonna go not using caution to a possible yellow/red light, leaving about 5 or 6 cars naked in the middle of an intersection BLOCKING up the next group of cars able to move. Is that ticketable (made up my own word!)?

Stupid people are all over the place, it's depressing.

Newskool Mach 07-28-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamMach1 (Post 830520)
Actually, I have a question...just kinda hit me while reading some of these things ha.

Anyways, a couple things:

1. I work as a cashier at a grocery store (being 18, I didn't have much of an option) and I see kids who steal all the time. But supposidly "I don't have the authority to do anything about it" so I just let them be. I try to let a manager know but it's tough to get their attention without causing a seen. So what if I know who the kids are and such? Am I allowed to report them. It's the chewing tobacco that they're after. So I was just wondering that if I'm unable to rise attention to a manager about them could I later report them to someone?

And

2. A couple of days ago I was a stop light on one of the busiest intersection in the area, a typle + type intersection. Well we were 2nd in line in the far right lane behind this black F-150. What happened was that the LEFT turn lanes light went green so both left turn lanes were going...left (lol). Well this guy in the F-150 slowly creeps up to the line sort of acting oblivious to the fact that the lanes to go straight were still red...and then just goes. Well, one of the vehicles turning left coming towards us, almost hit the truck, horns were honking left and right. There was no police officer around so I was wondering if that too was something I could have reported like could I report the license plate and location?

(Another thing popped into my head ha sorry)
Around 5 oclock when everyone's getting out of work intersections get packed. Well about a good 85% of the time, when the light turns green everyone's gonna go not using caution to a possible yellow/red light, leaving about 5 or 6 cars naked in the middle of an intersection BLOCKING up the next group of cars able to move. Is that ticketable (made up my own word!)?

Stupid people are all over the place, it's depressing.

Let me try to answer your questions hammach. First of all you can always report a crime or incident to the police. The question is will any thing be done about it. You have to look at store policy- does the store prosecute shoplifters? If they don't the police will not arrest the suspect. With few exceptions no victim no crime. The store in this case is the victim of the theft. Maybe you can work out some kind of code over the stores PA that wont alert the badguy, but the manager will then come to you. Also evidence that the crime occured will be needed and the longer you wait to report it the less chance of the badguy possessing the stolen goods and so on.

In the second case again you can always report a dangerous or drunk driver to the police and you should. In Florida we have a number *FHP where you can report any traffic incident and the appropriate action will be taken. Unfortunetly In florida, with the exception of traffic accidents a ticket can only be written if an officer observes the violation- but that shouldn't stop you from reporting it. If the person you saw causes an accident or gets arrested for some traffic crime, your testimony can be used for evidence if you leave your info with the dispatcher. Always try to get the plate #.
Again each states traffic laws are different. In florida though obstructing an intersection is illegal and a moving violation ticket can be written. If the light is green and the intersection can not be cleared by your vehicle you are supposed to stop behind the stop bar until you can fully make it through the intersection. If you have to wait for several cycles of the traffic light so be it. I hope this helps you. :agree: with your last statement. Some people are ignorant to the traffic laws but most are just plain selfish.

HamMach1 07-29-2007 12:46 AM

That seems to answer it! Thanks. I'm pretty "sensitive" on the road so like I'll always be willing to let people in when it comes to merging or if someone needs to get over and I'll usually stop at the line at an intersection if its getting backed up, even if it's green. I guess after working in a grocery store, you learn to hate people lol! Or maybe I should say you learn to live with your hate of people.

Thanks for the clarification !

mach1_04 07-29-2007 02:05 AM

I have another quick question for you, If you sell a car to someone and recieve half of what you were asking for the car but have a signed agreement to have the other half paid by a certain time, but the buyer does not make good on the deal are you allowed to repo the vehicle yourself if its written in the agreement?

IMachU 07-29-2007 11:40 AM

That, my friend, is a civil matter. But here's a tip - you should NEVER sign over your "pink slip" before you get payment in full. Ever.

mach1_04 07-29-2007 01:00 PM

O trust me i know that, its a friends problem he is having and i thought i would ask. So can he or can't he? Would he have to hire a company to do it?