2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   switching from mobil 1 to Royal Purple (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121231)

ASH302 04-14-2012 12:09 AM

Re: switching from mobil 1 to Royal Purple

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24kmach (Post 1477731)
I know you had a new engine but they used the old valve covers and pan. Did they clean them?

man don't get me started on TMS, them ****s screwed up so much chite its sad to even say on here, makes me look like a ******* that i used them
the used the old valve cover and gasket too, didn't even bother buyin new ones, i have em with me to take pictures if you like and if they look like they did after 12K miles there something wrong for sure, getting oil on my coils is messed up and they really ****ed up on alot of other little stuff, chite the guy at blood enterprise that caught a bunch of there problems. etc etc and etc don't use them ****ers ever for anything

ASh

24kmach 04-14-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1477738)
man don't get me started on TMS, them ****s screwed up so much chite its sad to even say on here, makes me look like a ******* that i used them
the used the old valve cover and gasket too, didn't even bother buyin new ones, i have em with me to take pictures if you like and if they look like they did after 12K miles there something wrong for sure, getting oil on my coils is messed up and they really ****ed up on alot of other little stuff, chite the guy at blood enterprise that caught a bunch of there problems. etc etc and etc don't use them ****ers ever for anything

ASh

Mums the word. :23:

C Vo 04-14-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAF_Rock (Post 1476698)
im with yo on that one man.. but then again to each his own

Agreed.

LineageMach1 04-14-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr-proper (Post 1477340)
there is a reason why mobil 1 is factory fill by::CHEERS:

Mercedes AMG
Porsche
Corvette Z06,ZR1
Acura RDX
Aston Martin DB9, DB9 Volante, DBS, DBS Volante, Virage, Virage Volante, Rapide
All Bentley Vehicles
Chevrolet CR8
Citröen DS3
Holden HSV
Lexus FLA
Nissan GT-R
Opel Insignia
McLaren MP4-12C
Peugeot RCZ
Saab 9-3 TTiD
Vauxhall VXR8
Viper Motorcycles

how many cars come with RP factory fill?? do you really think RP has more money to spend on research then mobil 1??
( i never heard from RP or amsoil until i moved to the states:rolleyes:)
sorry but if aMcLaren MP4-12C comes with Mobil 1 ,i am sure Mobil 1 is good enough for my 30.000dollar car:pimp::CHEERS:

Actually Royal purple even says on the bottle not to put royal purple oil into your car until after the first 2k miles.

I'm not seeing many 10w30 people on here. Coulda sworn the Mach needs 10w30, at least that's what I've been filling it with.

Nevermind... frick! Just did an oil change too, guess I need to go get the right oil and do another oil change lol...
So new question, I've been running 10w30 for years and no problems so far.... would this cause any issues or can I just stick with the 10w30?

blown03Mach1 04-14-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr-proper (Post 1477340)
there is a reason why mobil 1 is factory fill by::CHEERS:

Mercedes AMG
Porsche
Corvette Z06,ZR1
Acura RDX
Aston Martin DB9, DB9 Volante, DBS, DBS Volante, Virage, Virage Volante, Rapide
All Bentley Vehicles
Chevrolet CR8
Citröen DS3
Holden HSV
Lexus FLA
Nissan GT-R
Opel Insignia
McLaren MP4-12C
Peugeot RCZ
Saab 9-3 TTiD
Vauxhall VXR8
Viper Motorcycles

how many cars come with RP factory fill?? do you really think RP has more money to spend on research then mobil 1??
( i never heard from RP or amsoil until i moved to the states:rolleyes:)
sorry but if aMcLaren MP4-12C comes with Mobil 1 ,i am sure Mobil 1 is good enough for my 30.000dollar car:pimp::CHEERS:

And it may have nothing to do with the oils performance. I could see where M1 is actually paying to have their oil put in the above cars, so points like this can be made and owners stay with the oem brands.

I for one don't care what they rolled off the factory floor with, I would want what performs best and it just may or may not be the oem oil.

boostownsme 04-14-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineageMach1 (Post 1477757)
Actually Royal purple even says on the bottle not to put royal purple oil into your car until after the first 2k miles.

I'm not seeing many 10w30 people on here. Coulda sworn the Mach needs 10w30, at least that's what I've been filling it with.

Nevermind... frick! Just did an oil change too, guess I need to go get the right oil and do another oil change lol...
So new question, I've been running 10w30 for years and no problems so far.... would this cause any issues or can I just stick with the 10w30?

I'm running 10w30 here as well. With our climate I would say it's a good compromise

ASH302 04-15-2012 01:24 PM

10w-30???? to each there own, just like others using the 5w-30 not for me, i'm 5w-20 always

ASh

Mach828 04-15-2012 04:41 PM

10w30 would be fine for mild to warmer climates.

But if your area gets really cold, I'd run the 5w30 for better protection when the car isn't at operating temperature yet.

Mach828 04-15-2012 04:42 PM

If you were already set on running RP 5w20 because your friend says its best. Then why post a thread on the topic to get others opinions if you aren't going to listen?

ASH302 04-15-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1478168)
If you were already set on running RP 5w20 because your friend says its best. Then why post a thread on the topic to get others opinions if you aren't going to listen?

I wasn't asking if i should or shouldn't, what i did ask is if anyone else had this problem with mobil 1. i already had made up my mind and just wanted to let others what i found when swapping valve covers, i didn't know it was going to be replyed on so much. very shocked, i really was just reporting what i found and passing on to others. just tryin to be helpful
i'm not sayin everything should switch to Royal Purple, i'm not sayin its the best, i'm just sayin for me its what i'm switching to and going to use

ASh

Mach828 04-15-2012 06:18 PM

Okay, I got you. Well good luck! :thumbsup:

boostownsme 04-15-2012 07:15 PM

If you really are in Texas 20w is gonna be like water lol

TRmachwon 04-15-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1478101)
10w-30???? to each there own, just like others using the 5w-30 not for me, i'm 5w-20 always

ASh

Why? I haven't seen anything to suggest that 5w20 is a good idea.

ASH302 04-15-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1478191)
Okay, I got you. Well good luck! :thumbsup:

yea man, maybe i should have started the thread different, i didn't mean to make it sound like i was asking if i should or shouldn't. sorry about that
its all good though

ASh

ASH302 04-15-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRmachwon (Post 1478212)
Why? I haven't seen anything to suggest that 5w20 is a good idea.

the reason i run 5w-20 is cuz that is what recommended,
i know we can go back and fourth on this is recommended and that is, but somethings i do use that is recommended

everyone is going to be different and use what they use

i only trust the gas as Shell, others may choose a different one, not sayin i'm right or they are right.

ASh

TRmachwon 04-15-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1478215)
the reason i run 5w-20 is cuz that is what recommended,

By who? The owners manual? A very high profile engineer from the mod motor program recommended to NEVER run 5w20.

ASH302 04-15-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRmachwon (Post 1478220)
By who? The owners manual? A very high profile engineer from the mod motor program recommended to NEVER run 5w20.

check on page 170 and its says 5w-20
http://shnack.com/docs/2004_owner_guide.pdf
owners guide manual states it

ASh

suicidekings 04-15-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRmachwon (Post 1478220)

Assuming you are referring to the same thread I searched and found, thats what prompted me to switch... especially here in the Arizona heat!

Ash, do what you feel is best man. I havent heard negative things about RP in person but like anything you search online you will always hear great things and horrible things. Hell, you search hard enough you will find people saying Mach 1's are garbage.

suicidekings 04-15-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1478244)
check on page 170 and its says 5w-20
http://shnack.com/docs/2004_owner_guide.pdf
owners guide manual states it

ASh

I think he is talking about this:

Links are not showing up..... click this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ic-oils-3.html

It's a little slow in the tech department today so I had time to do some searching on Corner-Carvers.com for the original Scott Whitehead post regarding use of 5W20.

I finally found it, you will see this quoted all over the internet but not with the link to the actual thread and post. This is mainly because Corner-Carvers is somewhat restricted to member use and sometimes nonmembers have said they could not view info from links I had provided.
I hope this helps a little, at least you will hopefully understand why I am not a fan of 5W-20 oil unless it is mild street use and a very high quality Synthetic.

The thread: Oil ? for modular powered Mustang owners - Corner-Carvers Forums

The posts: Corner-Carvers Forums - View Single Post - Oil ? for modular powered Mustang owners
" I'm not going into details here, but I know I've talked to several people on this list before about this. Please do not put 5w-20 or less into a mod motor. Please."

Corner-Carvers Forums - View Single Post - Oil ? for modular powered Mustang owners
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorrell
Unless you have some oil pressure and temperature data, this starts to become a "Yo dawgs, what's the bestest oil for my Cobra?" thread. No offense intended, but without data, that's where we might be headed.
"Gary-
I'm assuming you're not referring to my comments, or don't know my background? Are you aware that I spent about 10 years doing engine development with Ford Motor Company, including being the systems engineer on the 2003 Aviator and 2005 Mustang V8s?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chim-Chim
Would you recommend 5W-30, then? I have been running the Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend.
"5W-30 is probably a good oil for the street with mixed temperatures, yes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4Point6
?? Not sure what your saying. Are you saying to not run 5w-20 in the mod motors? I wouldn't run it any thinner but 5W20 is the spec oil from most Ford engines since 2001. If there is somehting wrong with it, I'm sure we would see a lot of people with motor problems. Mustangs, CVs, F150, F250-550 and what ever else the put the mod motors in and I'm just not seeing that on the Mustang and Truck forums.
"I think you'll understand that I can go into details here. And understand that I'm not saying that 5W-20 is not going to instantly do damage. But suffice it to say I've seen and been involved in a LOT of development on these motors, and my personal opinion is that I would never run 5W-20 in a modular motor. Regarding your "spec oil" comment, you need to look at what else governs this recommendation.

I apologize for not being a little more clear and forthcoming."

Corner-Carvers Forums
p=631515&postcount=19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bassen
Scott, does your 5W30 recommendation carry over to 5.4L 3V motors?
"Yes. I would not run 5W-20 in ANY stock mod motor. This is especially true in 4v motors, but applies to all of them in one form or another."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonnw
I'm guessing that you meant to write "I cannot go into details here".
"You are correct. Sorry for the typo. Sometimes I think faster than I type."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonnw
Steve Bassen asked about the 5.4L 3V motors and I'm interested in the 4.6L 3V motors. I understand that the variable valve timing is based on the engine tolerances and I would assume, the oil viscosity.

So if you were taking a 3V Mustang to track days, what oil would you use?
"My *PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION* would be to run a good fresh synthetic in the 5w-30 to 10W-40 range. And keep an eye on oil temps and oil pressure variations. The oil viscosity might slightly change the VCT's transient behaviors, but I wouldn't expect significant issues. I admit that I've never tested or seen testing relating to oils thicker than 10W-40, so I can't comment on that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbower
Scott: I would be very interested in why you think 5w-20 is a bit too thin for heavy use.
"Because I've seen the dyno testing. I've probably looked at several hundred engines disassembled and spread out on inspection tables. And I've been involved in testing to resolve issues where varying the oil viscosity was part of the test DOE. Trading a very small FE improvement in exchange for a large durability safety margin is not something I'm interested in doing."

ASH302 04-15-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidekings (Post 1478247)
Assuming you are referring to the same thread I searched and found, thats what prompted me to switch... especially here in the Arizona heat!

Ash, do what you feel is best man. I havent heard negative things about RP in person but like anything you search online you will always hear great things and horrible things. Hell, you search hard enough you will find people saying Mach 1's are garbage.

that is one thing that is for sure, finding good an bad online about everything, doesn't matter

what did you switch too?

ASh

ASH302 04-15-2012 09:24 PM

i saw that thread or saw it somewhere, still didn't change my mind, just what i use

ASh

suicidekings 04-15-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmach302 (Post 1478254)
that is one thing that is for sure, finding good an bad online about everything, doesn't matter

what did you switch too?

ASh

For the longest time I always use to use regular Castrol GTX. 200k miles on a 5.0 in my mountaineer, drag cars etc... But realized that was stone age stuff and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, 5w30.

ASH302 04-15-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidekings (Post 1478274)
For the longest time I always use to use regular Castrol GTX. 200k miles on a 5.0 in my mountaineer, drag cars etc... But realized that was stone age stuff and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, 5w30.

ok i got you,
yea i've seen it over time going back and fourth on which brand to use
on which weight to use
just so man different things
also on how many miles to go without changing it
just so much different things
i was always thought to change oil at 3K miles, but have moved that to 4K miles now
everyone has there thing

ASh

TRmachwon 04-15-2012 10:41 PM

Yes Scott's post on CC is what I was talking about. I trust him more than the owners manual. Especially when the older Cobras with basically the same motors were spec'd 5w30 IIRC. And didn't someone in this thread say FRPP tech support told him to run 5w30 in his aluminator?

Mach828 04-16-2012 01:20 AM

So ask your friend why Ford recommends 5w50 for the GT500? How come they aren't using 5w20 in the GT500?