2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   TKat13's Mach1 Build Log (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128524)

TKat13 10-06-2015 10:55 AM

Re: TKat13's Mach1 Build Log

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 (Post 1607212)
Just from reading about lowering these cars you do need a bump steer kit, but I have no personal experience with it.

Bump steer kit is only useful if you actually 'set' the bump steer. Otherwise you are just making a visual guess and I would suspect I would never get it right. I picked up the MM bump steer and the tool to set it. It does make a difference in driving when (obviously) hitting a bump/dip in the road. Cars that are lowered tend to pull (turn) when a dip in the road is hit; if the bump steer is not properly set. I suspect most people that install coil-overs will also lower their car. Personally, I set my height so I don't take off my chin spoiler on my drive way and on normal parking cement blocks.

TKat13 03-30-2016 12:26 AM

I have an update... and not a great one. :(

This is what happened last weekend when I took the car out for a spirited ride, pulled to about 7,000 rpm, shift and then I smelled antifreeze. Great.

Got it home and this is what I saw: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1Z...o=w683-h910-no

So, bad luck and the hose split. So, in the back ground you can see the I fixed it already and took that snake bitten car back out for another test run at 2AM of course. This time the hose popped off at the cross over tube. Trust me, it was stupid tight.

So, the setup should be explained; I run a GT lower hose. I have the S-Stat in the upper hose as you can see the housing in the background and the pipe that would normally run to the bottom hose from the cross over is welded shut.

So, what is wrong is the ultimate question?

Any ideas?

My first thought is the T-Stat is stuck closed, the car did sit for a good month or more since the last time I drove it and I run distilled water with water wetter so not antifreeze.

Interesting is the 16psi cap on the coolant tank did not leak at all, does this mean it never reached 16psi? Or, the fact that I have re-routed everything prevents that side of the system from seeing those pressures because of the T-Stat, if stuck closed. Meaning, pumping fluid and no where to go?

So, I have 're-fixed' it and removed the T-Stat to see what will happen. But, I would not test it as my turbo sucked up all this **** water and now I have to remove my piping and intercooler and empty everything before I can run it.

Right now, I have two options:
1. T-Stat stuck
2. Combustion leaking into the coolant

I would rather it be #1 but I am thinking head gasket on #2. :eyes:

And, I am not in Texas for a while to even look further into it, so researching now.

sutyak 03-30-2016 08:14 AM

I'm also thinking #2, but I hope I'm wrong.
You suggested to me in my build thread that I reroute the coolant line that runs over my turbo so if it happens to burst it wouldn't dump coolant into the air filter. I think I'll do that sooner than later now. :)
Good luck with the fix. I'm very interested to hear what the root cause is. Dealing with coolant is the worst.

311-420 03-30-2016 09:19 AM

Were you already running something between the turbo and hoses since last time? That thing looks like a hot dog that was left on the grill a bit too long.

not a gt 03-30-2016 11:20 AM

Were ALL the hoses new?? That takes a hell of alot of pressure to blow out a hose like that. I would imagine if T stat stuck closed pressure will build up and find the weakest link in the system...which in this case looks like hose instead of cap releasing pressure. I am just guessing here, any goggle search show anyone with your type of setup having issues??? Overall this sucks :OUCH:

not a gt 03-30-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1607216)
Bump steer kit is only useful if you actually 'set' the bump steer. Otherwise you are just making a visual guess and I would suspect I would never get it right. I picked up the MM bump steer and the tool to set it. It does make a difference in driving when (obviously) hitting a bump/dip in the road. Cars that are lowered tend to pull (turn) when a dip in the road is hit; if the bump steer is not properly set. I suspect most people that install coil-overs will also lower their car. Personally, I set my height so I don't take off my chin spoiler on my drive way and on normal parking cement blocks.

I have been reading this:

https://lmr.com/page/Ford-Mustang-St...on-Insructions

With my caster at 6.5, we never touched the bumpsteer kit. (Wonder if this is causing my shaking and pull). I plan on installing stock k member(removing coilovers) and setting caster at 5, don't think that close to stock setting will need kit, but also plan on installing Steeda Sport springs..since will be lowering will I need the bumpsteer kit ? I figured since car won't be slammed should be ok with stock tie rod ends...thoughts please.

TKat13 03-30-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not a gt (Post 1616815)
I have been reading this:

https://lmr.com/page/Ford-Mustang-St...on-Insructions

With my caster at 6.5, we never touched the bumpsteer kit. (Wonder if this is causing my shaking and pull). I plan on installing stock k member(removing coilovers) and setting caster at 5, don't think that close to stock setting will need kit, but also plan on installing Steeda Sport springs..since will be lowering will I need the bumpsteer kit ? I figured since car won't be slammed should be ok with stock tie rod ends...thoughts please.

Not properly setting up the bump steer will affect you when you hit a 'bump' in the road, dip, etc. It will cause it to pull one way or the other if it is severe enough. Shaking, maybe but only associated with a suspension compression/extension. Others can keep me honest on this one.

Secondly, but actually highest priority; toe in, caster camber whatever setting you go for needs to be the same on both sides, period. If you are an 800 lb monster then do it with you in the car. lol

I do not know what is up with your issues but I do not have any of these issue with my k-member, arm setup with coil-overs. Car tracks perfectly.

TKat13 03-30-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sutyak (Post 1616793)
I'm also thinking #2, but I hope I'm wrong.
You suggested to me in my build thread that I reroute the coolant line that runs over my turbo so if it happens to burst it wouldn't dump coolant into the air filter. I think I'll do that sooner than later now. :)
Good luck with the fix. I'm very interested to hear what the root cause is. Dealing with coolant is the worst.

I actually agree with you, I think it is #2. I suspect that when those hose popped off the first time it hurt the motor a bit is my thought, maybe lifted the head gasket just enough.

I planned on doing welding on 16 AN bungs to the cross over tube and radiator and using stainless steel braided hose between but never got around to it. So this makes 3 times this has happened now so please take my lessons and make yours strong before you drive it.

Yes, coolant and cooling has been a PITA for me on this build. Started with the wrong gasket on the lower connection to, bad clamps, etc, etc.

TKat13 03-30-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1616802)
Were you already running something between the turbo and hoses since last time? That thing looks like a hot dog that was left on the grill a bit too long.

The setup that blew was exactly what you saw when we met up. Hose was not exactly new but the new one blew off too.

I have pretty much decided to pull the motor and tear it down and inspect it. Only takes me a day to remove the motor.

ASH302 03-30-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1616826)
The setup that blew was exactly what you saw when we met up. Hose was not exactly new but the new one blew off too.

I have pretty much decided to pull the motor and tear it down and inspect it. Only takes me a day to remove the motor.

sorry man about your issues, sucks
hope you get it straighten out.
Always something

ASh

ASH302 03-30-2016 02:45 PM

BTW if its not me, its you, if its not you its him, and if its not him, then its that guy. the circle of car troubles, lol they never seem unending :soapbox:

ASh

Dan03mach 03-30-2016 06:38 PM

Drill a few holes in the Tstat.

TKat13 03-30-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan03mach (Post 1616851)
Drill a few holes in the Tstat.

Already had two.

TKat13 03-30-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1616830)
sorry man about your issues, sucks
hope you get it straighten out.
Always something

ASh

Its just part of the game, glad my wife understand it. :)

311-420 03-30-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1616826)

If you need an extra set of hands holler at me.

TKat13 03-31-2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1616877)

Awesome; I might just take you up on that when the time comes. Coming home next weekend, I will do some diagnoses then and clean the garage up to get ready for an engine pull. I am sure it is coming out. My leak down test a few months ago showed some differences that I did not like, but it was not over the top. I suspect it will be 'over the top' when I test it again.

I'll give you plenty of warning. :)

TKat13 03-31-2016 01:46 PM

Need to get my Cuda out of there and up to my dad's shop so I have more room. :)

Mach351 03-31-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1616877)

me too also

thought about offering in the past, but some folks may not be too crazy about having other people in their garage.

TKat13 05-01-2016 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach351 (Post 1616925)
me too also

thought about offering in the past, but some folks may not be too crazy about having other people in their garage.

Might just take you guys up on it when I get around to pulling the motor; I have decided the do the rebuild myself and this requires me to relocate the 'Cuda to give me more space. My folks just moved and he has a shop where the Cuda will be getting restored but first I have to clear it out as it is storage until he finishes getting unpacked.

311-420 05-01-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1618383)
Might just take you guys up on it when I get around to pulling the motor; I have decided the do the rebuild myself and this requires me to relocate the 'Cuda to give me more space. My folks just moved and he has a shop where the Cuda will be getting restored but first I have to clear it out as it is storage until he finishes getting unpacked.

I'm down. Haven't pulled one since I was a teenager so this will be a nice refresher.

TKat13 06-02-2016 11:28 PM

Minor update:
1. I have decided to mini-tub the Mach. Going to allow for some rapidly expanding tires and it looks cool. :) Seriously, I want ample room for the tire whether I am turning or drag racing. I prefer the tucked in look and I really do not like how close my rear tires are to my rolled fenders.

2. Roll-cage going in with swing-out door bars.
I learned that when 130+ under WOT the car can still spin the tires; makes for some white knuckle driving. :) The car is just to fast not to have more safety.

3. Still not pulled the motor but I have been buying more tools to do the work myself. Waiting to relocate my 'Cuda so I can have more room.

Oh yea; after buying my wife a new car; she is good with me putting a two post lift in the garage.... whoohooo!

sutyak 06-03-2016 07:54 AM

Good update! What is your rear suspension setup and tires? I'm really surprised it spins them at 130, but I also don't recall if you have an overdrive.

01yellerCobra 06-03-2016 10:43 AM

130? Geeze. I got nervous when I spun at 60. I think at 130 I'd need new shorts.

BONESTOCK 06-03-2016 06:33 PM

Ohh....excited to see the minitub progress!!

ab_mach1 06-03-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra (Post 1619633)
130? Geeze. I got nervous when I spun at 60. I think at 130 I'd need new shorts.

Lol

Instagram - @ab_mach1