2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

G 11-25-2010 09:52 AM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Warcup (Post 1337633)
I totally agree! Especially, NO TOP 35 LOCK IN...what a bunch of crap! .................................................. ....

And no more Sprint Cup guys racin' in the Nationwide Series
...leave that series to the guys & gals that want to learn & move up...Trucks, okay

I thought about that but think it helps having the more experienced Cup drivers available as mentors and to help sell tickets. I would like to see them limited to 5 races in any of the top divisions (Cup, NW, or Trucks) that they are not running for a championship in. That would work both up and down. If a cup guy wants to be involved in NW let him own a team (max of 2 cars) and develop new talent. That's not just drivers but crew as well. He could pick 5 races to drive in and then either park the car or put in a NW driver. If you take away the owner points then you add some stability for the drivers. The owner then has to select, develop, and support his driver to win a championship. There should be provisions for retaining driver points if it's beyond the control of both parties, like the medical issue with Vickers.

If you like racing more like it was in the early days, the modified series is awesome. It could be I'm a bit prejudiced by my past but modifieds are just a blast to watch. I have memories I cherish from the mid 60s to the early 70s that are burned into my mind. My dad was involved in that division as a driver, owner, and builder from the late 40s until the 70s. He was never big time but was a steady driver that took me to every event he could. It messed me up for life. :23:

birdman941 11-25-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337624)
So Ford and Chevy huh?

Pretty much.
We can Grandfather in Mopar, but that's it.
There should be a tourist trap at the tracks.
A port-o-pottie conveniently placed over the toiletta display,..............
SPLAT !!!!

falcongtho3 11-25-2010 10:50 AM

I there has been talk of late of allowing Cup drivers to race any amount of N'Wide races, but not be eligible for the championship. Not a bad idea, maybe a seperate trophy got those who do chose to participate. I thing that a racer wants to race at any opportunity, and whether its the truck series of N'Wide series it's an additional chance to get behind the wheel of a race car and compete.

:borg:

birdman941 11-25-2010 11:08 AM

Good point, but it would be cheaper for nascar to give trophies
to people in the stands at truck races.
100,000 fans disguised as empty seats.
NWS is getting to be the same.

G 11-25-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1337720)
I there has been talk of late of allowing Cup drivers to race any amount of N'Wide races, but not be eligible for the championship. Not a bad idea, maybe a seperate trophy got those who do chose to participate. I thing that a racer wants to race at any opportunity, and whether its the truck series of N'Wide series it's an additional chance to get behind the wheel of a race car and compete.

Let them go back to the way it was. The cup drivers used to drop in at local tracks and drive LMS, modifieds, IMCA, etc...

They gave the fans a thrill, picked up some show money, and normally put on a good show. Many times they would drive local cars. I remember having Petty, Pearson, and Donnie Allison show at our home track around 1969. They drove mid pack LMS cars when the seats were given up by the car owners. They finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th in those "filler" cars. Allison was actually leading the closing laps but when he was challenged by Pearson it gave Petty a chance to pass them both. What an exciting night. I was roughly 10 then and standing on the tire rack of our trailer when my Dad told me to get his helmet out of the truck. I handed to David Pearson who was about to take my dad's modified around some in practice.

It was a different time. I remember the drivers above and some of the locals having hot dogs, bologna burgers, watermelon, deviled eggs, RC cola, and crackers on our tailgate and open trailer. That was the short track life back then. It was the time of my life and I sure wish I had a digital camera back then. :23:

02mach1 11-25-2010 06:16 PM

Iam N'wide guy now until 2012 because Ford useing Ford Mustang GTs:smokin:

bris09 11-25-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337737)
Let them go back to the way it was. The cup drivers used to drop in at local tracks and drive LMS, modifieds, IMCA, etc...

They gave the fans a thrill, picked up some show money, and normally put on a good show. Many times they would drive local cars. I remember having Petty, Pearson, and Donnie Allison show at our home track around 1969. They drove mid pack LMS cars when the seats were given up by the car owners. They finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th in those "filler" cars. Allison was actually leading the closing laps but when he was challenged by Pearson it gave Petty a chance to pass them both. What an exciting night. I was roughly 10 then and standing on the tire rack of our trailer when my Dad told me to get his helmet out of the truck. I handed to David Pearson who was about to take my dad's modified around some in practice.

It was a different time. I remember the drivers above and some of the locals having hot dogs, bologna burgers, watermelon, deviled eggs, RC cola, and crackers on our tailgate and open trailer. That was the short track life back then. It was the time of my life and I sure wish I had a digital camera back then. :23:

Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch do an annual event at Williams Grove Speedway. Kasey borrows a 410 Sprint car and Kyle a Super Late Model. Last year the driver I used to help (before taking current job) beat Kyle. This year Kyle used one of Jason's cars. The deal is they pay a fee to use the car and pay to repair any damage done to the car.

I'm with ya about being more of a fan to the local track, all of ours are dirt. Must better racing. You got 20-25 laps to get to the front and you have to live with the pre-race setup.

birdman941 11-25-2010 09:35 PM

Not a fan of either one.

G 11-25-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1337836)
Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch do an annual event at Williams Grove Speedway. Kasey borrows a 410 Sprint car and Kyle a Super Late Model. Last year the driver I used to help (before taking current job) beat Kyle. This year Kyle used one of Jason's cars. The deal is they pay a fee to use the car and pay to repair any damage done to the car.

I'm with ya about being more of a fan to the local track, all of ours are dirt. Must better racing. You got 20-25 laps to get to the front and you have to live with the pre-race setup.

Yep that's he kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Too bad cheby is not running Camaro stickers. :23:

falcongtho3 11-26-2010 07:44 AM

An interesting article on Autoweeks website answers soem of my questions about the chase, and how it's impacted the points winners.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...CING/101129936

Con's Mach1 11-26-2010 09:38 AM

Oh, I just remembered, the season is over...Thank goodness! I guess I'll look forward to next season. Maybe. The driver I really don't care for, but starting to like just a little, is the BEST and most EXCITING driver out there. That's not good.:crazy: I'm still gonna say gooo Carl anyway.

02mach1 11-26-2010 11:20 AM

Next year going be Carl's year.:smokin:

G 11-26-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1337976)
An interesting article on Autoweeks website answers soem of my questions about the chase, and how it's impacted the points winners.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...CING/101129936

Good read. I hate the chase. :smokin:

Azure Blurr 11-26-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337594)
I think some rule changes could really shake things up next year. Perhaps

No team rules
No pit crew swaps
No top 35 lock in BS
No freaking chase
Ditch the owner championships in all divisions
Limit teams to 2 cars MAX and give special perks to single car operators
Have at least 2 races on dirt each season

If the chase must stay use different tracks, but I really hate the chase format.

Agree. Love the bold! :23:

kiler be 11-26-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1337594)
I think some rule changes could really shake things up next year. Perhaps

No team rules
No pit crew swaps
No top 35 lock in BS
No freaking chase
Ditch the owner championships in all divisions
Limit teams to 2 cars MAX and give special perks to single car operators
Have at least 2 races on dirt each season

If the chase must stay use different tracks, but I really hate the chase format.

:agree::CHEERS:Two races on the dirt.....I would love to see that. :claus:

birdman941 11-26-2010 10:10 PM

Take the plates off

japan4racing 11-26-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1338158)
Take the plates off

this

gvervoren 11-30-2010 10:24 PM

Here is an article about Jimmie Johnson regarding my statements a few days ago about him being possible one of the best drivers in NASCAR of all time. Kinda shows that I AM right on this topic.

http://www.nascar.com/news/101130/jj...ver/index.html

birdman941 11-30-2010 10:27 PM

I heard a nasty rumor.
I heard Volkswagen is coming in eventually.
Allegedly met with Brian "The Pansy" France last week.
ASSCAR is officially dead as soon as that happens.
A new series started by Roush, Hendrick, etc. will
bring American racing back to where it belongs.

Thunderbolt 11-30-2010 10:52 PM

5 in a row is far better than any 7 titles in 20 or 30 years, but since the points change in 2004 it skews the results. He's the best driver from 2004-Present.

falcongtho3 12-01-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 1339029)
I heard a nasty rumor.
I heard Volkswagen is coming in eventually.
Allegedly met with Brian "The Pansy" France last week.
ASSCAR is officially dead as soon as that happens.
A new series started by Roush, Hendrick, etc. will
bring American racing back to where it belongs.

I knew that VW was going after Toyota, I just didnt' think it would be on the race track. Someone fix this, please!

ar15topgun 12-01-2010 11:45 AM

I can't wait for Kia to get in on the act as well as Hyundai. Would be a real treat that way we can say that Nascar has gone global.:crazy:

blown03Mach1 12-01-2010 03:11 PM

I love seeing all the people who are in bed and nut hugging with Gimme Johnson! Old points system he would only have 3 championships. New points systems gave him his other two.

He is by far NOT the greatest driver ever!!! Back in the day, a driver actually had to drive a car. By that I mean you did not simply flat foot it around the track like today’s drivers do. If today’s drivers cannot flat foot it, they bytch about spring rates, shock combos, aero, track bar, wedge, stupid crew chief, and tires... I say to today’s drivers SHUT YOUR TRAPS AND LEARN TO DRIVE for Christ sake! Oh wait, Gimme Johnson can drive. Well at least on the only last ten races that COUNT... The chase is such B.S.!!!

NASCAR I think you have officially lost me and you will have to work hard to earn me back. I currently view NASCAR like watching the same movie over and over and over and over again. After the first time, you know how its going to end, so why watch?

Gimme Johnson is NASCAR's golden boy in their eyes, but look what he has done for fans in the seats.....

Nuff said and last post on NASCAR from me...

birdman941 12-01-2010 03:27 PM

"The Van Camp's Fart Can 500, brought to you by Minute Rice".

gvervoren 12-01-2010 07:01 PM

Some of you guys are looking at Just the number of championships Jimmie has. When I say he is one of the greatest, I'm not going by just championships. Look at ALL the stats in this article. Yes I know he wouldn't have 5 in a row if it wasn't for the chase;. I'm not arguing that. Look at his total wins right now and how much quicker he accomplished it then other hall of fame drivers. Like I said, look at ALL the stats, not just the number of championships. His success is coming quicker in his career then the hall of fame drivers.
Here is a link to the article again.
http://www.nascar.com/news/101130/jj...ver/index.html