2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76408)

Phil 02-19-2008 12:05 PM

Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup

4 Attachment(s)
Starting the new project soon with Jeff Chambers of CRT Performance. Eliminating EFI system and going carbureted. Components will be a Sullivan 1-101B open pelenium intake, Proform 650 cfm series racing carb, Zex perimeter nitrous plate.

littlemags 02-19-2008 12:07 PM

Re: Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 953240)
Starting the new project soon with Jeff Chambers of CRT Performance. Eliminating EFI system and going carbureted. Components will be a Sullivan 1-101B open pelenium intake, Proform 650 cfm series racing carb, Zex perimeter nitrous plate.

jesus..phil....BIG TIME NOW!!!!!!!! will be following this thread!

Iceman 02-19-2008 01:17 PM

have you built your motor yet?

Linumup 02-19-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 953240)

So what is the purpose of this if you dont mind me asking ?

Why not direct port and run a wet system ?

Linumup 02-19-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 953364)
To make more hp at top end on the factory motor. Because I don't want to run a direct port nitrous system, maybe in the future one day when I have a built motor.

So what your saying is that set-up is better then the dry set-up ?
But less hp then the wet set-up ?

How many miles are on your stock longblock ?

PS I received your letter today . I will be sending you a chk off tomorrow .

Bill

Linumup 02-19-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 953488)
I have always ran a wet nitrous system. This ZEX perimeter plate is a wet system also and yes, this is a much better setup then my factory setup for top end hp and for nitrous. I will be running a 175 NX shot just like last year. This setup is designed to flow fuel and straight into the heads with hardley any chance of puddling, compared to the factory intake. This intake can be setup for direct nitrous port down the road.

I will also be taking more weight off the vehicle by switching to a carb setup and pulling all the EFI components. The shaker/bracket assembly weighs 14 lbs. The factory intake is heavy compared to this intake. I will be going to a plastic foam lined 8 gal fuel cell compared to the steel tank, more weight knocked off. This setup will be unique/different and old school tunning. Then when I have the heads ported & different cams, built motor down the road, is when this setup will really shine.

I just turned over 10,000 miles in Oct, 07..

Sounds quite interesting Phil . Will the computer be able to tune for carburetor ?

Very cool Phil ! Me likes ! :smokin:

No more shaker or hood ?

lxh89 02-19-2008 10:33 PM

If you are going carb, why stick with the small displacement mod motor? Get yourself a Man-O-War block, punch it out to 4.125 bore, 4 stroke so you have a 427 small block. Then add the carb and bottle and start shooting for deep in the 9s :)

From the dyno numbers I've seen on carbed mod motor setups, they make some nice peak numbers but area under the curve is sacrificed.

Definitely interested to see your results with the same amount of nitrous.

Tony

Phil 02-20-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxh89 (Post 953677)
If you are going carb, why stick with the small displacement mod motor? Get yourself a Man-O-War block, punch it out to 4.125 bore, 4 stroke so you have a 427 small block. Then add the carb and bottle and start shooting for deep in the 9s :)

From the dyno numbers I've seen on carbed mod motor setups, they make some nice peak numbers but area under the curve is sacrificed.

Definitely interested to see your results with the same amount of nitrous.

Tony

Using a 1" - 1.5" Wilson Manifolds tapered carb spacer can help the area under the curve. I have not seen any Carb Mod Motor dyno tests using this tapered spacer yet.

In the MM&FF Dec 2007 issue, a 4.6l DOHC intake dyno test was done on every type EFI & carb intake avaliable for this motor. It's a very good article and very interesting. A Sean Hyland 405 hp built motor was used that has ported heads & stage 1 cams and 1.625" primary Hooker Headers. With the factory EFI intake setup it produced 408hp. The Sullivan with a 750 Holley produced 436 hp. Like you were saying the area under the curve is way down. Not the choice I would go for a street machine.

Jeff Chambers got me thinking a little while back when he was talking to me about possibly going carbureted. Then when I ran accross a new Sullivan 1-101B intake for $500 shipped, I jumped on it. For the track, I like the idea and am willing to give it a shot, especially with the nitrous on this setup and backing it up with a Liberty Gears modified/face plated TKO 500.

Linumup 02-20-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 953921)
Using a 1" - 1.5" Wilson Manifolds tapered carb spacer can help the area under the curve. I have not seen any Carb Mod Motor dyno tests using this tapered spacer yet.

In the MM&FF Dec 2007 issue, a 4.6l DOHC intake dyno test was done on every type EFI & carb intake avaliable for this motor. It's a very good article and very interesting. A Sean Hyland 405 hp built motor was used that has ported heads & stage 1 cams and 1.625" primary Hooker Headers. With the factory EFI intake setup it produced 408hp. The Sullivan with a 750 Holley produced 436 hp. Like you were saying the area under the curve is way down. Not the choice I would go for a street machine.

Jeff Chambers got me thinking a little while back when he was talking to me about possibly going carbureted. Then when I ran accross a new Sullivan 1-101B intake for $500 shipped, I jumped on it. For the track, I like the idea and am willing to give it a shot, especially with the nitrous on this setup and backing it up with a Liberty Gears modified/face plated TKO 500.

Ill sell you my TKO600 complete set-up !

Nazman 02-20-2008 01:10 PM

Hey...that plate looks familiar!

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/gal...99_1682634.jpg

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/gal...499_908687.jpg

The only thing is that mine is run as a "second stage".......DP is the primary!

:)

Naz

Nazman 02-20-2008 01:13 PM

Hey Phil...one quick note.

Ensure that you clear the perimeter plate on the sully base. I put mine on a mill and then finished by hand. There is a good 1/8 inch lip all around (the plate is larger). I did a flow "test" and the lip WILL disrupt flow a bit.

My .02

Naz

Linumup 02-20-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazman (Post 953926)
Hey...that plate looks familiar!

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/gal...99_1682634.jpg

http://forums.mightymustangs.net/gal...499_908687.jpg

The only thing is that mine is run as a "second stage".......DP is the primary!

:)

Naz

I see it all now ! Sweet Naz .

Going to look good Phil !

Hey Naz i understand the plate in Phils set-up . Why not go direct port on yours ?

VIPERBLUELX 02-20-2008 01:20 PM

Phil, did you ever try an Al Pappito 5" short runner intake on your car? That should have solved any puddling issues and have the same top end pull as the carb intake.

Nazman 02-20-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linumup (Post 953933)
I see it all now ! Sweet Naz .

Going to look good Phil !

Hey Naz i understand the plate in Phils set-up . Why not go direct port on yours ?

I do have a DP on mine. Its the primary system. The ZEX plate will play the "second stage". I have a NX digital controller (Maximazer (SP)) to regulate flow, by RPM by gear by stage. :smokin:

Phil 02-20-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazman (Post 953927)
Hey Phil...one quick note.

Ensure that you clear the perimeter plate on the sully base. I put mine on a mill and then finished by hand. There is a good 1/8 inch lip all around (the plate is larger). I did a flow "test" and the lip WILL disrupt flow a bit.

My .02

Naz

NAZ,

Yes, I have mocked it up and I'm writing a program to run on a CNC machine to match port the intake opening to the ZEX plate. Thanks for the input and your setup looks awesome!!!

Linumup 02-20-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX (Post 953938)
Phil, did you ever try an Al Pappito 5" short runner intake on your car? That should have solved any puddling issues and have the same top end pull as the carb intake.

Thats the one that i am running . Although i dont have that problem .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazman (Post 953939)
I do have a DP on mine. Its the primary system. The ZEX plate will play the "second stage". I have a NX digital controller (Maximazer (SP)) to regulate flow, by RPM by gear by stage. :smokin:

So now im really lost . Please explain it to the moron . (me)

Why run the 2nd stage there ? Why not in the same location ?

Phil 02-20-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linumup (Post 953923)
Ill sell you my TKO600 complete set-up !

Thanks for the offer Bill. I want to stay with the 500's gearing which is the same as the 3650. It will have their enchanced surface finish on all the gears (Mikroniting) and have a 26 spline input like the 600. Also, 2nd & 3rd will be face platted.

Phil 02-22-2008 11:54 AM

Just pulled the entire intake assembly off this morning. Here is a weight comparrison.

Factory intake assembly with factory throttle body, fuel injectors/rails, PHP spacer 30.25 lbs.
Shaker scoop/bracket assembly 17.25 lbs
K&N CAI/filter 6.38 lbs.
Total = 53.88 lbs

Sullivan intake 12.68 lbs
Proform Carb 9.7 lbs
Air Filter 3 lbs
Zex perimeter plate 1.0 lbs
Wilson Manifolds 1" tapered 4 bore spacer 1.0 lbs

Total = 27.38 lbs

About 26.5 lbs will be removed from the motor.

Phil 02-25-2008 07:26 AM

I will probably be going with this fuel tank setup and have two -8an sump outlets for 2 seperate fuel pumps.

http://www.glennsperformance.com/?mu...uel-tank-98-04

Phil 02-25-2008 08:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more mock up pics with the Proform 650 series racing double pumper carb & Zex perimeter nitrous plate:

Linumup 02-25-2008 08:51 PM

That is some pretty hardware . Very nice . Just let it stick out the opening of the hood . LOL

When do you think you will get it finished . It looks beautiful .

ultraflo 02-25-2008 11:11 PM

Lookin' really nice, Phil... I pulled the intake on my mach1 for the first time, yesterday. I have a secondary chain tensioner that's bad (nylon came off the guide/rail) on the driver's side. These modulars kinda suck to work on compared to 5.0L stuff.

I like how clean/simplified you're setup looks... very nice!

Are you still going to be using the NX 'noids?? :D

Linumup 02-26-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 956563)
This is the setup I'm after using a Hilborn style carb scoop/air cleaner for a true ram air affect. The internal carb filter would be used on the street and I would take it off for the track. I can't use the factory style hood due to the opening being to far forward. I would have to cut the hood, but I'm not doing that to this hood.

Looks awesome Phil . Old school look . :claus:

Id have a C.F. hood fabricated to fit your application .

Roy 03-01-2008 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Phil, heres the nitrous fuel system. Sorry I took so long.

torched04 03-01-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 956014)
I will probably be going with this fuel tank setup and have two -8an sump outlets for 2 seperate fuel pumps.

http://www.glennsperformance.com/?mu...uel-tank-98-04

Its a very nice tank. I just received mine about 2 weeks ago. -12 AN feed off the sump and -8 AN return fitting welded on the passenger side at the top of the tank.

Some pictures.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/IMG_1280.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/IMG_1281.jpg