2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Phenolic Intake Spacers Are Here (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61184)

Roy 02-20-2007 04:42 PM

Phenolic Intake Spacers Are Here

2 Attachment(s)
These are water-jet cut from 3/8'' thick heat and chemical resistant brown
phenolic material. It's hard to see in the pics but it has a very hard glossy
surface finish. This spacer will isolate the upper intake and TB from the hot engine. Might add some power(?). My car is off the road for another month due to BS winter weather in Michigan so I can’t try one under actual operating conditions so I won’t sell any yet. I'm going to send one to a friend in Florida to try out for me.

xxxxMach1 02-20-2007 04:48 PM

Re: Phenolic Intake Spacers Are Here

Are these a replacement for your aluminum spacers? Cost change? Still ship with another seal? Can't wait to hear how they perform, I will be in the market for an intake spacer soon.

hawk 02-20-2007 04:54 PM

Interesting idea, may keep the upper plenum and the throttle body cooler, but maybe not that much. With the two plastic gaskets on the aluminum one, you have quite a bit of heat isolation already. I'd guess these may be cheaper to make/sell though?

Roy 02-20-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxxMach1 (Post 748976)
Are these a replacement for your aluminum spacers? Cost change? Still ship with another seal? Can't wait to hear how they perform, I will be in the market for an intake spacer soon.

If you already have an alum spacer I could sell you just the spacer for a lower price. Already having an extra gasket will save you some. Having the longer bolts will save you a few more bucks. I wont want your alum spacer back. I can make all I want!

Roy 02-20-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkpilot (Post 748979)
Interesting idea, may keep the upper plenum and the throttle body cooler, but maybe not that much. With the two plastic gaskets on the aluminum one, you have quite a bit of heat isolation already. I'd guess these may be cheaper to make/sell though?

This Mat'l aint cheap.

demonspeed98 02-20-2007 06:09 PM

I live in Michigan and drive my car every single day, want me to test it out for you?

hawk 02-20-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 748983)
This Mat'l aint cheap.

oops! Hey sometimes I guess wrong, lol

Roy 02-20-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed98 (Post 749015)
I live in Michigan and drive my car every single day, want me to test it out for you?

I've already made arrangements with the Florida guy.

_bones 02-20-2007 07:42 PM

put me down ill take one "whole" kit when offered. pm thanks

Roy 02-20-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _bones (Post 749091)
put me down ill take one "whole" kit when offered. pm thanks

OK Bones.

3150Mach1 02-20-2007 08:19 PM

Roy, you are the man. Keep the good stuffing coming!!!!!:machgod:

Awd This 02-20-2007 10:05 PM

Looks real sweet roy, Nice work :THUMBSUP:. Let me know how they work out because a intake spacer is in my next wave of mods.

birdman941 02-20-2007 10:10 PM

Glad you got ahold of the material.
I would imagine, the hotter the temp (ambient or engine temp),
the more it will help.
Brilliant idea. :machgod:

G 02-20-2007 11:22 PM

They look nice. :machgod:

8616v 02-21-2007 05:25 AM

Why not replace the head to intake manifold gasket with something like this, is there a good reason or has no one thought of it yet?

I did this on my vw and the difference(temp wise) was amazing...after running around town not particularly hard after about 20min i couldn't touch the intake manifold after the gasket was replaced with a phenolic replacement it was cool/warm to the touch during the summer and cold in the winter, the intercooler probably helped keep it cool but there was deffinately a difference i could attribute to the spacer...

demonspeed98 02-21-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8616v (Post 749322)
Why not replace the head to intake manifold gasket with something like this, is there a good reason or has no one thought of it yet?

I did this on my vw and the difference(temp wise) was amazing...after running around town not particularly hard after about 20min i couldn't touch the intake manifold after the gasket was replaced with a phenolic replacement it was cool/warm to the touch during the summer and cold in the winter, the intercooler probably helped keep it cool but there was deffinately a difference i could attribute to the spacer...

I've seen phenolic kits for other engines that include a throttle body to intake gasket as well. Might be worth looking into?

Roy 02-21-2007 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8616v (Post 749322)

I was thinking the same thing. I already have the program done. Here’s one I cut from aluminum.

Roy 02-21-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed98 (Post 749352)
I've seen phenolic kits for other engines that include a throttle body to intake gasket as well. Might be worth looking into?

I've already made some. They turned out nice.

FordMan 02-21-2007 09:16 AM

Roy,

How did the TB to intake spacers work out performance-wise?

nastynate_03 02-21-2007 02:18 PM

man put me down for one i already have a php spacer so all i need is the spacer ill spend a little bit of money to see what the fuss is about pm me with a price and how to get you the money thanks.

nate

Roy 02-21-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 749362)
Roy,

How did the TB to intake spacers work out performance-wise?

I have not tried one yet. If you pay the shipping I'll send you one.
Then you can let us know!

DTMach1 02-21-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 749354)
I was thinking the same thing. I already have the program done. Here’s one I cut from aluminum.

What would be the benefit of running that spacer? I'm interested :)

demonspeed98 02-21-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 749355)
I've already made some. They turned out nice.

Sweet, let me know if you decide to market them since I could meet up to pick them up.

Roy 02-21-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonspeed98 (Post 749765)
Sweet, let me know if you decide to market them since I could meet up to pick them up.

I'm sending one out to Fordman to try. My cars put away for the winter. If he give's a thumbs up I'll sell some. They won’t be very expensive.

FordMan 02-21-2007 09:43 PM

Thanks Roy