2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   What's this? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135999)

deancollins 06-04-2017 12:20 PM

What's this?

Hi all!

Can anyone confirm to me what this exactly is?

It is on the coolant cross over.

http://i.imgur.com/dhfzEPJ.jpg

I thought it was the temp sensor to switch the fan on and off. However when I remove it the fan still kicks into action.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

my fear 06-04-2017 01:16 PM

Re: What's this?

prolly the water temp sender for the dash gauge.

DSG2003Mach1 06-04-2017 01:22 PM

Coolant temp sensor and yes that's one factor in driving the cooling fan. It may be setup to fail safe and keep the fan going instead of causing an over heat

deancollins 06-04-2017 02:22 PM

Arh ok.

Getting really confused. The fan comes on and stays on so quickly. Half the hoses are red hot, and the rest cold. Temp gauges sits in the middle where it normally did.

Must be over heating right?

DSG2003Mach1 06-04-2017 05:11 PM

That's why I'm suggesting getting an actual coolant temp reading. If you don't have a tuner then hold down the trip reset button and while holding turn the key forward. When the odometer changes you can let go of the reset button and start the car. Tap the reset button to move through the menu and you will find engine temp, again it's in Celsius. If it stays under 230ish F you're fine

deancollins 06-05-2017 04:37 AM

OK thanks, will try that tonight when I get home.

j rick kirby 06-05-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1626825)
That's why I'm suggesting getting an actual coolant temp reading. If you don't have a tuner then hold down the trip reset button and while holding turn the key forward. When the odometer changes you can let go of the reset button and start the car. Tap the reset button to move through the menu and you will find engine temp, again it's in Celsius. If it stays under 230ish F you're fine

Are you saying there is info to be had thru the reset button?

DSG2003Mach1 06-05-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1626841)
Are you saying there is info to be had thru the reset button?

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Free Digital speedo, Tach, Engine temp, oil pressure and Metric speedo ?
Ford decided to include a cool hidden feature in the instrument cluster starting in 99 and also in 2000. With a simple press of the trip button and turn of the key you could not only test your instrument cluster (gauges), oil pressure and speedo senders, but get a real time digital readout of your speed, tach and other info AS you drive your stang.

This info is based on the diagnostics procedure sent in a while ago from some cool readers (Adam) located here off the main page. We decided to give you a visual step by step, because the procedure is fairly easy and you don't need to worry about messing up your stang or changing the programming, only enjoy the feature for what it's worth.. and you can't beat the price (free).

Also thanks to Steve 99 Cobra for posting all the trouble codes you could read through the instrument cluster. Most having to do with the operation of the gauges and ignition systems. NOT OBDII codes, though how cool that would be if in the future Ford included a full diagnostic OBDII scanner in your stang.. oh well.. mabye in 2002 :-).

OK... HERE WE GO!

1. Put the key in the ignition, but don't turn it. Push and hold the trip / reset counter button. Don't release it.
2. Next turn the key to the accessory on position. NOT starting your stang, but just to the first click. Leave the key there.
3. Look at your display while you are holding down the button. When you see it say "test" (like shown in the pic), then LET GO the button. You have only a few seconds to do this.
4. What will happen next is all your analog needles will "sweep" to their max positions and then drop back to normal. The digital readout will say "GAGE" like shown.
5. Push the button once and the next diagnostic is all the segments in the digital display will show up lit. Like the pic shows.
6. Push the button again and the readout will say "bulb" and light up all the bulbs like the batt, traction control and other cluster bulbs.

Neat huh ?.. :-)

7. Push the button again and the ROM version is displayed.

8. Push the button again and you get the EE level. Part of the id.
9. Push it again and you see the hex value for the manufacturing test date.
10. Push it again and you will get any diagnistoc trouble codes or DTC's (if any). See table below for a list of codes. This code is for an oil pressure switch failure (example).
11. THE COOL PARTS START HERE. push it again and you will see "eng" followed by your speed in miles per hour. We were standing still but if we were moving, we could get a digital speedo reading in real time.
12. Push it again and you will see an "M" followed by your METRIC speed reading.
13. Push it again and you will see a "tac" followed by your tachometer numbers. All updated in real time. The engine was off here so it was 0000. CLICK HERE for a video 126k Mpeg of the digital tach in action. (recorded from our Mustangworld project 00 stang)
14. Push it again and you see your fuel level, see chart below for what the numbers mean.
15. Push it again and you see your oil pressure. The engine was off so ours read 255.
16. Push it again and you will see your engine temperature "deg" see chart below for what the numbers mean.
17. Push it again and the battery voltage input to your cluster is shown (current battery level) 0 - 255. See chart below for normal settings.
18. Push the button again for the RH codes (there are a few screens of them and they flash).
19. Eventually you will end up at the Cr code, this shows the current RUN/START here it shows "-h" meaning in the key was in the start position.
20. You will make it to the PE codes then back to the "GAGE" and the cycle starts all over again. TO EXIT the diagnostic mode, press and hold the trip meter for 5 seconds or until your odometer is displayed again. You can also just remove your key and it will return to normal.
To see your digital speed / tach, etc.. as your stang drives
All you do is once in this diagnostic test mode, simply start your stang and the display will revert to this mode again and you can scroll through until the digital speedo is showing and see your speed digitally.

Here are the DTC trouble codes (thanks Steve 99 Cobra):

9202 Fuel sender open circuit
9204 Fuel sender short to ground
9213 Anti-theft number of programmed keys is below minimum
A103 or 9232 Antenna not connected-defective transceiver
9317 Battery Voltage high
9318 Battery voltage low
9342 ECU is defective
9356 Ignition run circuit open
9364 Ignition Start circuit open
9600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal is Not Received - Damaged Key or non-PATSKey
9601 PATSReceived Incorrect Key-Code from Ignition Key Transponder (unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key)
9602 PATS Received Invalid Format of Key - Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Code)
9681 PATSTranceiver Signal is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring)
A139 PCM ID does not match between Instrument Cluster and PCM
A141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID exchange between Instrument Cluster and PCM)
A143 NVM memory failure
5284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure
D027 SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
D041 SCP Invalid or missing data for Vehicle Speed
D043 SCP Invalid or missing data for Traction Control
D073 SCP Invalid or missing data for engine coolant
D123 SCP Invalid or missing data for Odometer
D147 SCP Invalid or missing data for vehicle security
D262 Missing SCP message.

What to do if you get a trouble code
First off don't panic, these are not OBDII codes, call your local Ford dealer and they will give you more info. Some of these codes are NORMAL like when the dealer needs to program a new key for your stang, an unprogrammed key will be inserted for this procedure, you may get a code 9601, this does not mean you have a problem with your stang. You can clear codes by disconnecting your battery for a while and reconnecting.

j rick kirby 06-05-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1626843)
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Free Digital speedo, Tach, Engine temp, oil pressure and Metric speedo ?
Ford decided to include a cool hidden feature in the instrument cluster starting in 99 and also in 2000. With a simple press of the trip button and turn of the key you could not only test your instrument cluster (gauges), oil pressure and speedo senders, but get a real time digital readout of your speed, tach and other info AS you drive your stang.

This info is based on the diagnostics procedure sent in a while ago from some cool readers (Adam) located here off the main page. We decided to give you a visual step by step, because the procedure is fairly easy and you don't need to worry about messing up your stang or changing the programming, only enjoy the feature for what it's worth.. and you can't beat the price (free).

Also thanks to Steve 99 Cobra for posting all the trouble codes you could read through the instrument cluster. Most having to do with the operation of the gauges and ignition systems. NOT OBDII codes, though how cool that would be if in the future Ford included a full diagnostic OBDII scanner in your stang.. oh well.. mabye in 2002 :-).

OK... HERE WE GO!

1. Put the key in the ignition, but don't turn it. Push and hold the trip / reset counter button. Don't release it.
2. Next turn the key to the accessory on position. NOT starting your stang, but just to the first click. Leave the key there.
3. Look at your display while you are holding down the button. When you see it say "test" (like shown in the pic), then LET GO the button. You have only a few seconds to do this.
4. What will happen next is all your analog needles will "sweep" to their max positions and then drop back to normal. The digital readout will say "GAGE" like shown.
5. Push the button once and the next diagnostic is all the segments in the digital display will show up lit. Like the pic shows.
6. Push the button again and the readout will say "bulb" and light up all the bulbs like the batt, traction control and other cluster bulbs.

Neat huh ?.. :-)

7. Push the button again and the ROM version is displayed.

8. Push the button again and you get the EE level. Part of the id.
9. Push it again and you see the hex value for the manufacturing test date.
10. Push it again and you will get any diagnistoc trouble codes or DTC's (if any). See table below for a list of codes. This code is for an oil pressure switch failure (example).
11. THE COOL PARTS START HERE. push it again and you will see "eng" followed by your speed in miles per hour. We were standing still but if we were moving, we could get a digital speedo reading in real time.
12. Push it again and you will see an "M" followed by your METRIC speed reading.
13. Push it again and you will see a "tac" followed by your tachometer numbers. All updated in real time. The engine was off here so it was 0000. CLICK HERE for a video 126k Mpeg of the digital tach in action. (recorded from our Mustangworld project 00 stang)
14. Push it again and you see your fuel level, see chart below for what the numbers mean.
15. Push it again and you see your oil pressure. The engine was off so ours read 255.
16. Push it again and you will see your engine temperature "deg" see chart below for what the numbers mean.
17. Push it again and the battery voltage input to your cluster is shown (current battery level) 0 - 255. See chart below for normal settings.
18. Push the button again for the RH codes (there are a few screens of them and they flash).
19. Eventually you will end up at the Cr code, this shows the current RUN/START here it shows "-h" meaning in the key was in the start position.
20. You will make it to the PE codes then back to the "GAGE" and the cycle starts all over again. TO EXIT the diagnostic mode, press and hold the trip meter for 5 seconds or until your odometer is displayed again. You can also just remove your key and it will return to normal.
To see your digital speed / tach, etc.. as your stang drives
All you do is once in this diagnostic test mode, simply start your stang and the display will revert to this mode again and you can scroll through until the digital speedo is showing and see your speed digitally.

Here are the DTC trouble codes (thanks Steve 99 Cobra):

9202 Fuel sender open circuit
9204 Fuel sender short to ground
9213 Anti-theft number of programmed keys is below minimum
A103 or 9232 Antenna not connected-defective transceiver
9317 Battery Voltage high
9318 Battery voltage low
9342 ECU is defective
9356 Ignition run circuit open
9364 Ignition Start circuit open
9600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal is Not Received - Damaged Key or non-PATSKey
9601 PATSReceived Incorrect Key-Code from Ignition Key Transponder (unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key)
9602 PATS Received Invalid Format of Key - Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Code)
9681 PATSTranceiver Signal is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring)
A139 PCM ID does not match between Instrument Cluster and PCM
A141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID exchange between Instrument Cluster and PCM)
A143 NVM memory failure
5284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure
D027 SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
D041 SCP Invalid or missing data for Vehicle Speed
D043 SCP Invalid or missing data for Traction Control
D073 SCP Invalid or missing data for engine coolant
D123 SCP Invalid or missing data for Odometer
D147 SCP Invalid or missing data for vehicle security
D262 Missing SCP message.

What to do if you get a trouble code
First off don't panic, these are not OBDII codes, call your local Ford dealer and they will give you more info. Some of these codes are NORMAL like when the dealer needs to program a new key for your stang, an unprogrammed key will be inserted for this procedure, you may get a code 9601, this does not mean you have a problem with your stang. You can clear codes by disconnecting your battery for a while and reconnecting.

So you can scroll to #15 or 16 for example and monitor coolant temp or oil pressure while driving?

DSG2003Mach1 06-05-2017 02:03 PM

correct but Im cant remember if the oil pressure is worth looking at or not, Ill try to remember to compare against my aeroforce with the oil pressure add on next time I take the car out

j rick kirby 06-05-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1626845)
correct but Im cant remember if the oil pressure is worth looking at or not, Ill try to remember to compare against my aeroforce with the oil pressure add on next time I take the car out

Pretty cool feature. Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1 06-05-2017 02:15 PM

link to the explanation page/charts

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm

oil pressure is not actual pressure, none, low, normal or high

deancollins 06-05-2017 05:41 PM

Was around 85c when I ran it tonight's was stationary and the fan was going nuts.

Should the lower rad hose be stone cold!?

DSG2003Mach1 06-05-2017 07:32 PM

thats only like 185ish, the stock thermostat might be a 180 in which case it just starts to open @ 180, it might be closer to 200 before its fully open, I would get it up to at least 100C (212F).

no the fan shouldnt be running at those coolant temps. I should have clarified earlier - make sure the ac/temp controls are set to off, even if you have the heat on the compressor will run which will trigger the fan. If all your climate control stuff is set to off and the fan is still running then I would contact whoever sent you the tune and have them verify the settings for the fan

deancollins 06-06-2017 06:24 AM

Thanks for that. I shall try again tonight and go again!

deancollins 06-06-2017 06:33 AM

Just to clarify,

have the heat off while I am trying to burp it? Thought we needed it on?

DSG2003Mach1 06-06-2017 11:21 AM

heat doesnt need to be on to burp the system.

also if the heat is on it will make the cooling an run...sounds *** backwards but thats how it is.

deancollins 06-06-2017 03:30 PM

Sorry DSG2003Mach1, don't understand your last post?

DSG2003Mach1 06-06-2017 05:59 PM

having the heat on or off will NOT help or hinder the burping process so just leave the ac controls to off

you were saying the fan runs full time, im telling you to make sure your heating/cooling controls are set to the off position. As I mentioned in your other thread if the fan is running full time when not needed it will make it difficult to get the car up to full operating temperature.

deancollins 06-07-2017 04:17 AM

Got ya! Sorry for that.

Last night I did not put any control on in the cabin - all set to off.

Still no luck. Tried the burping process with a funnel on the cross over and it just kept pushing coolant level higher and higher. Had to remove some of it and it kept going.

Shut it down and this morning was able to put the coolant back in via the cross over.

Get very disheartened with this all now.

DSG2003Mach1 06-07-2017 08:33 AM

with everything set to off was the fan still running all the time?

the car is sitting on a level surface right? If its on an angle I could see that possibly causing issues burping it.

how high were you able to get the coolant temps? if you're only getting to 85C the thermostat isnt opening up enough. You may have to drive the car and get on it a bit to bring the temps up. Whats the outside air temps like over there right now?

deancollins 06-07-2017 11:45 AM

yeah it came on after 5-10 mins.

Car is on a flat level surface.

And yeah 85 is as high as it would go. It's pretty mild over here at the minute, 19c.

01yellerCobra 06-07-2017 11:58 AM

If the temp gauge is stopping at 85C I wonder if the sensor itself is bad? It shouldn't just stop at a reading. Maybe it's bad and the fan is being tripped as a fail safe. Unless Ford changed something in the 03/04 the stock stat temp should be around 195°F or about 90°C. So according to your gauge the stat shouldn't even be opening yet.

DSG2003Mach1 06-07-2017 12:36 PM

19c is only around 65 out, if the car is just idling I can see it having issues getting up to temp (especially with the fan kicking on). Why the fan is coming on at that temp is a mystery to me, low speed turn on is like 208.

i suppose changing out the temp sensor isnt the worst idea in the world.

deancollins 06-07-2017 03:53 PM

Where is the temp sensor? as there are a couple I imagine?

I tried again tonight so took it for a short drive and the best I could get was 88c on the trip reading.

This hose, this side of the stat housing and the lower rad was still cold at 88c.

Fan still going crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/HMw0KTi.jpg