2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Exhaust Review by mach1review (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19758)

mach1dsg 07-04-2004 04:53 PM

Exhaust Review by mach1review

http://www.mach1review.com/CATBackEx...emsReview.html

even though they said magnaflow won, it was only by 4 rwhp difference against slp. slp made more tq than magnaflow or bassani. hey, not bad for a straight resonator design that was supposed to make you loose tq :), and cheaper than magnaflow,

loudmouth should be the winner here, best price, better average power, best sound. what else do you want :)

what do you guys think???

also, i'm installing an mrt h pipe next week, i was going to buy the jlt cai, but after seen all the little issues, i decided to play safe and get a mid pipe. i went with a catted h because of the sound. i would receive the pipe on july 6 (thanks yellowshaker) :CHEERS:

what do you guys think my car would gain with an mrt h pipe.????
loudmouth already installed :THUMBSUP:

H-TownMachI 07-04-2004 05:44 PM

I got my Magnaflow shipped to my door for $330. What did the SLP cost? The best sound is subjective. I had Magnapacks on my 01 GT and thought they were too loud. I've heard the SLP's on a dyno and they are obnoxiously loud. But, you can't go wrong with anyone of the catbacks reviewed.

mach1dsg 07-04-2004 06:50 PM

did you notice the "what else do you want :)"
you can't go wrong with any catback at all, is just a matter of opinions. i said that as a joke, but is up to you to take it or no ;)

tallymach1 07-04-2004 08:15 PM

Awesome!! I have always been a believer in Magnaflow and I have always recommended the regular system to anyone who asks my opinion. Great review! I wish more companies would have stepped-up and submitted their systems for the review, but still a nice job. Confirms my bias! :THUMBSUP:

BL4C|< 04 M4Ch1 07-04-2004 08:18 PM

i wish the borla crew would have allowed for the testing of their cat back.

Bobs Mach 07-05-2004 03:47 AM

:agree: The borla is one of the systems Iam considering. Glad to see the others were close, Its probably going to come down to looks and sound for me.

03BlkMachOne 07-05-2004 05:04 AM

The results point out exactly what my results concluded. Compared to stock with just the cat back mod, you will lose HP and TQ below 4K. You will gain HP and TQ over 4K. If can make up for the low end loss, then it is the thing to do because the top end gains are nice.

GRB60 07-05-2004 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 03BlkMachOne
The results point out exactly what my results concluded. Compared to stock with just the cat back mod, you will lose HP and TQ below 4K. You will gain HP and TQ over 4K. If can make up for the low end loss, then it is the thing to do because the top end gains are nice.
I think you missed what they were saying. It was the combination of CAI and cat-back that made it so lean and robbed the low end power. Seems like a dyno tune of some sort is in order with both of those mods.

03BlkMachOne 07-05-2004 02:08 PM

Oh I got that. I just wanted to point out they also mentioned the cat back alone would cause a lower rpm loss. That was my point, but I guess I did not state it well. Sorry about that.

My A/F was pretty much 12.5 after 2300 rpm and hit a low of 11.9 at one point before holding at 12.5. Since this does not indicate a lean condition, I have to attribute the loss solely to the cat back flow design since it did not lean out the engine. I guess only the combo would do that, or would a CAI alone do that?

My question to you and everyone is: What is the best way to get the low end power back w/o going back to the stock cat back? I am new to EFI and computer controlled engines, so I need some suggestions.

Thanks

BlackMach 07-05-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

My question to you and everyone is: What is the best way to get the low end power back w/o going back to the stock cat back? I am new to EFI and computer controlled engines, so I need some suggestions.

Thanks

An intake spacer from PHP did it for me.

03BlkMachOne 07-05-2004 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BlackMach
An intake spacer from PHP did it for me.
I was considering that (just as another mod), but did not want to do it until I heard the results. Thanks.

40mach1 07-05-2004 06:50 PM

In August I am going with the MRT h-pipe and mag cat back not magpacks and there will be no losses only good sounds and good gains :HOPPY:

03BlkMachOne 07-06-2004 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 40mach1
In August I am going with the MRT h-pipe and mag cat back not magpacks and there will be no losses only good sounds and good gains :HOPPY:
So, are you saying the MRT h-pipe will offset the losses from the cat backs alone because even the "Flows" will have low end loss just like the "Packs" do. How will the MRT h-pipe prevent the low end loss?

KIPLINGER 07-06-2004 01:22 AM

Huh...?

Dude, an H-pipe w/o cats, are you kidding? That alone will give you 15-20 hp...Isn't that more than enough to offset any low-end loss from the catback....?

MACHYOUNG 07-06-2004 01:37 AM

Matter of Opinion

I really like the sound of the Magnaflows, as well as the power gains. I also had to take in to consideration the noise level (need to keep it quiet). I even went so far as to purchase and install the Bassani baffles in the tips (helps just a little bit). For the power, looks, noise level, and price it seemed like the best buy for me.

Robert

03BlkMachOne 07-06-2004 10:04 AM

Re: Huh...?

Quote:

Originally posted by KIPLINGER
Dude, an H-pipe w/o cats, are you kidding? That alone will give you 15-20 hp...Isn't that more than enough to offset any low-end loss from the catback....?
Right, but I would not go catless. :D Unless I have missed something, cats are still required in Oklahoma.

I guess the MRT H-pipe referred to 40MACH1 are catless, right? If that is correct, I understand what you are talking about now.

Ralph Greene 07-06-2004 10:16 AM

I have the Magnaflow X/cats and Magnaflow catback. It's not overly loud at cruising RPM's, the 2 were designed by Magnaflow to work together, and I noticed no low RPM power loss. But my tune is good.

While I appreciate tach9 and crew's hard work testing the catbacks, I don't think it proved much by adding different catbacks to a car with CAI and not tuning for each. It did prove, to me anyway, that all the catbacks are similar in the power they make, and your decision should be based on factors other than reported power gains or losses. I believe Tach9 has said the same thing.

03BlkMachOne 07-06-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ralph Greene
I have the Magnaflow X/cats and Magnaflow catback. It's not overly loud at cruising RPM's, the 2 were designed by Magnaflow to work together, and I noticed no low RPM power loss. But my tune is good.
Ralph,

Thanks for the info.

Can you explain what you mean by "but my tune is good"? How do you know it is good. That may be the area I need to look into.

Again, thanks.

Ralph Greene 07-06-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Ralph,

Thanks for the info.

Can you explain what you mean by "but my tune is good"? How do you know it is good. That may be the area I need to look into.

Again, thanks.

My A/F are in the 12.5 to 13-1 WOT range all the way.

I think you guys are making way to much over any potential low RPM power loss from bigger pipes. Even if it's there, and on my car I don't think it is, it's not very diffucult to be in the power range when necessary.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with just adding aftermarket H or X of choice, and weld in some straight thru muffs. I think you make about same HP a little quieter....and maybe a little lower in RPM curve.

You can't feel 10 HP on the street one way or another, and 5-10 HP doesn't make a performance difference on the street either. No matter what the butt o meter says.

Ralph Greene 07-06-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

I think you guys are making way to much over any potential low RPM power loss from bigger pipes. Even if it's there, and on my car I don't think it is, it's not very diffucult to be in the power range when necessary.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with just adding aftermarket H or X of choice, and weld in some straight thru muffs. I think you make about same HP a little quieter....and maybe a little lower in RPM curve.

BTW...it seems to me, Bassani has the best cats these days. They have the new metal cats. Not sure if on all their X's.

You can't feel 10 HP on the street one way or another, and 5-10 HP doesn't make a performance difference on the street either. No matter what the butt o meter says.

Ralph Greene 07-06-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

BTW...it seems to me, Bassani has the best cats these days. They have the new metal cats. Not sure if on all their X's.

03BlkMachOne 07-06-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

lol on the butt o meter part. :CHEERS:

I don't disagree with you either. After 2200rmp my A/F was a flat 12.5 with one short dip to 11.9 so I think the tune is probably ok. Would like to see a flat 13.0, but that might be difficult to get.

I understand about getting into the power band. I went up against a C5 on the expressway and found out in a hurry about what gear to downshift to at 70mph with the new cat back. Going to 4th was a joke. The C5 showed me his tailend. Going to 3rd at 70mph got me above 4K and I could stay with the C5 and even pulled him a bit.

On the dyno we tested the shift level. Shifting at 6K the rpms stayed at or above 4400rmp so we were in the power band. I will learn to live there if I can not get back the lower end rpm. I may just go to the MRT cated H-pipe. ;)

frank5o 07-06-2004 04:26 PM

this is a retarded review........ were are the chamber type mufflers, i.e flowmaster, mac flowpath. Arent the borla and magnaflow the same "straght thru" type muffler.

tach9 07-06-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by frank5o
this is a retarded review........ were are the chamber type mufflers, i.e flowmaster, mac flowpath. Arent the borla and magnaflow the same "straght thru" type muffler.
If you'd be so kind as to provide those systems, the M1R would gladly review them....as it was, those MFG's wished not to participate...don't blame the review, we're just a messenger :ANGEL:

DanK 07-06-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tach9
If you'd be so kind as to provide those systems, the M1R would gladly review them....as it was, those MFG's wished not to participate...don't blame the review, we're just a messenger :ANGEL:
Just wanted to say I found the reveiw interesting, even though not everybody wanted to send an exhaust to you. I would have liked to see the Borla Stinger but it appears that there isn't much difference between exhausts power-wise. Thanks