2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes & Suspension (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   stance change needed (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137173)

ASH302 02-03-2021 10:02 AM

stance change needed

One thing about the Mach after I got it, it basically had no suspension mods done to it at all. Owner before me changed out the uca and lca with non adj, because they needed replaced. I think he replaced the shocks when they were worn out, but with stock ones.
Since i've had it, I put on an Eibach front sway bar that I got from a brush hog job. It was brand new and I was a happy camper.
The Mach had 18s when I got it and the stance looked fine when they were on, but I just put on some 17s and back to a 4x4 look, which now is going to drive me crazy.
As much as I would just like to buy some Eibach pro kit springs, I am thinking of going another way.
I am thinking of just cutting the stock springs, mainly the front.
I am not looking into performance on this mach, just taking the 4x4 stance away.
I've gotten told on the front it could be 1/2 coil to 1 whole coil taken off and 3/4 coil on the rear.

I did find a guy selling some saleen racecraft springs (front only) for a decent price and thought about maybe giving that a try.

Thoughts?

ASh

j rick kirby 02-12-2021 08:46 AM

Re: stance change needed

I've got a set of MM Road & Track springs if you're interested.

TKat13 02-14-2021 01:14 AM

going way back in the early days, I cut 3/4" off the front and would not go more than that. They did ride well and stance was good. However, I do not remember what I did in the rear at all... sorry.

When I say, ride well, I mean not harsh but did not really help anything. Later I bought H&R race springs, then coil over from MM, then better coil overs... never happy. lol

DSG2003Mach1 02-15-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637712)
going way back in the early days, I cut 3/4" off the front and would not go more than that. They did ride well and stance was good. However, I do not remember what I did in the rear at all... sorry.

When I say, ride well, I mean not harsh but did not really help anything. Later I bought H&R race springs, then coil over from MM, then better coil overs... never happy. lol

which coilovers would you say are better than MM?

TKat13 02-17-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1637720)
which coilovers would you say are better than MM?

Not 'better', rather better for my purpose. My MM coilovers kit with their MM struts are great for the corners but killed my rear traction, yes, I said that right. Front struts killed my rear traction. My goals changed with the car over time thus why I have modified my suspension so many times. Its a sickness.

I ended up putting double adjustable Strange coil over struts on, these are not a coil over kit on top of a normal or beefed up strut body, rather the strut body is threaded. These are purpose built for drag racing. I drove them on the street and loved them, but they obviously have their limitations.

I should say that I did not have traction issues until I passed the 700hp mark and I had hoosiers on, err, on the street.

Strut kit

DSG2003Mach1 02-17-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637724)
Not 'better', rather better for my purpose. My MM coilovers kit with their MM struts are great for the corners but killed my rear traction, yes, I said that right. Front struts killed my rear traction. My goals changed with the car over time thus why I have modified my suspension so many times. Its a sickness.

I ended up putting double adjustable Strange coil over struts on, these are not a coil over kit on top of a normal or beefed up strut body, rather the strut body is threaded. These are purpose built for drag racing. I drove them on the street and loved them, but they obviously have their limitations.

I should say that I did not have traction issues until I passed the 700hp mark and I had hoosiers on, err, on the street.

Strut kit

thanks for expanding on that. I need to figure some things out before spending any more money on suspension work

TKat13 02-18-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1637725)
thanks for expanding on that. I need to figure some things out before spending any more money on suspension work

no problem; btw after the change, she hooked real good. The next night, my radiator hose split and lifted the head gasket. sigh...

I plan to redo the rear suspension while she is down but focusing on the front 'til that is finished. Then coil-overs in the rear with minitubs and a drag swaybar setup... still trying to figure that out as well.

j rick kirby 02-18-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637724)

Strut kit

I think I have your MM stuff on the front of my car.

TKat13 02-19-2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1637729)
I think I have your MM stuff on the front of my car.

I was wondering what I had done with them. I knew they went to a good home and the way you drive I bet it is perfect. :)

Many of my parts that I have changed out over the years have done to our members here.

j rick kirby 02-19-2021 07:52 AM

Going from 162 lb front wheel rate provided from conventional springs to the 315 provided by the 350 lb coilover you sold me, getting the rear matched up along with the torque arm and other MM parts has turned my car into a real G machine.

TKat13 02-22-2021 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1637737)
Going from 162 lb front wheel rate provided from conventional springs to the 315 provided by the 350 lb coilover you sold me, getting the rear matched up along with the torque arm and other MM parts has turned my car into a real G machine.

Awesome to hear, sounds like they went to the right place!

ASH302 02-24-2021 11:01 AM

I'll cut springs and if it really isn't that great, then i'll just go with some springs.

ASh

ASH302 02-24-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637712)

do you have pictures of that?

ASh

TKat13 02-25-2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637764)
do you have pictures of that?

ASh

this is the only pic I have that I know for a fact it had the cut springs. I am pretty sure I cut 3/4 coil on the front and 1/2 coil in the rear. I was aligning it in my driveway, it was a budget drop back in the day. :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qk...-no?authuser=0

ASH302 02-25-2021 11:56 PM

TKat13 did you leave all the iso on?
I really just want front to be lower than the rear.

ASh

TKat13 03-02-2021 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637770)

ASh

In that pic the Iso was on the upper but not on the lower

TKat13 03-02-2021 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASH302 (Post 1637770)

ASh

Also, sorry for the delayed reply... you have my phone number and fb messages, feel free to text me. :)

ASH302 03-02-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637783)
In that pic the Iso was on the upper but not on the lower

thanks for the information.

ASh

ASH302 03-02-2021 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKat13 (Post 1637784)
Also, sorry for the delayed reply... you have my phone number and fb messages, feel free to text me. :)

It is all good, if it was something I needed fast I would, thanks though.

ASh