2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More issues (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136205)

slomach03 10-21-2017 08:24 PM

More issues

Having more issues with my mach, starting to feel like I bought a bad apple. New problem I’m having. This is an auto. When I press the gas lightly, with some force, or to the floor, the car shudders or stuttters like it can’t breathe for a couple seconds and then clears up and accelerates. It can happen at any RPM in any gear. I have noticed an actual loss in power as well in general. Strangely enough this problem seems to occur any time I hit a bump or speed bump in the road but it may be a coincidence. Also this problem is very inconsistent, it will be there one day and gone the next. I have taken it to a shop and they found the air intake was loose, the MAF was dirty, and one 02 sensor was loose. All issues were fixed. However the problem is still there and I am at a loss. There seems to be no vacuum leaks and the exhaust is tight. Any opinions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1 10-21-2017 10:20 PM

Re: More issues

When we’re the coils and plugs done last?

slomach03 10-21-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1628674)
When we’re the coils and plugs done last?

As far as I know, the coils have never been done. The plugs were changed to NKG TR copper in April.

wutang61 10-22-2017 01:36 AM

Sounds like a coil to me.

DSG2003Mach1 10-22-2017 09:02 AM

Coils can do weird ****, drone an f150 that only sputtered at half throttle, WOT was fine

slomach03 10-22-2017 10:00 AM

So replace the coils? Any brand suggestions? Thank you.

slomach03 10-22-2017 10:23 AM

Would coils do the inconsistent stuff I described and is it possible for them to come loose over bumps? Seems like they’re pretty well fastened in there.

ab_mach1 10-22-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomach03 (Post 1628680)
Would coils do the inconsistent stuff I described and is it possible for them to come loose over bumps? Seems like they’re pretty well fastened in there.

They often have intermittent issues before they will make a CEL come on. My experience with them has been random misses at WOT and occasional “shark bite” like misses at every-day type driving.

What I do to help make sure it really is a COP going bad and not a bad connection is to use dielectric grease on the spark plug end of the boot. I’ve had to fix three of my COP wire harness clips too, but you’d see that problem upon visual inspection.

slomach03 10-22-2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1628685)
They often have intermittent issues before they will make a CEL come on. My experience with them has been random misses at WOT and occasional “shark bite” like misses at every-day type driving.

What I do to help make sure it really is a COP going bad and not a bad connection is to use dielectric grease on the spark plug end of the boot. I’ve had to fix three of my COP wire harness clips too, but you’d see that problem upon visual inspection.

Thanks Lee. Sounds like I do have a bad COP then. I ordered new ones from AM and I hope to report back in a week with the issue cleared up. Thanks.

01yellerCobra 10-22-2017 11:45 PM

Can you still get the replacement plugs from anyone? I have two that are broken.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1 10-23-2017 10:40 AM

as mentioned when replacing the coils make sure the harness connectors are clipping in place/arent broken, those can cause intermittent issues. I had a bad one on my lightning that drove me nuts (of course it was on a 600mile trip without my handheld), ended up paying the dealer $95 for diagnosis and a zip tie since they didnt have the connector on hand.

im sure the replacements are out there. I believe Ford sells a harness repair kit that has the connectors and wires to splice in, if you buy that just de-pin the connectors and swap em. I wish I could remember where I bought just the clips for my lightning but that was like 8 years ago

slomach03 10-23-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1628691)
as mentioned when replacing the coils make sure the harness connectors are clipping in place/arent broken, those can cause intermittent issues. I had a bad one on my lightning that drove me nuts (of course it was on a 600mile trip without my handheld), ended up paying the dealer $95 for diagnosis and a zip tie since they didnt have the connector on hand.

im sure the replacements are out there. I believe Ford sells a harness repair kit that has the connectors and wires to splice in, if you buy that just de-pin the connectors and swap em. I wish I could remember where I bought just the clips for my lightning but that was like 8 years ago

Would you recommend adding zip ties to all of them for the heck of it?

DSG2003Mach1 10-23-2017 08:39 PM

Not really, put the connector on and make sure it doesn’t just slide right back off.

ab_mach1 10-23-2017 09:13 PM

I bought some COP connectors with pigtails from O’Reilly Auto last year and replaced the bad ones. Unfortunately, the ones I bought had slightly clips and would clip together great, but I couldn’t actually swap out the old clip for a new one. What I did worked well though, and I haven’t had any issues since.

Here’s the thread I made...
http://COP harness clip problems<br ...4&share_type=t

slomach03 11-07-2017 11:09 AM

So good news replaced the coils and all my issues have cleared up. Even feels like I gained a little power back I had lost. Thank you all for the great advice.

Im also experiencing a new issue. I’m getting a loud squeaking sound from my automatic shifter. It mainly happens in Drive but can really be in any gear. In my 05 manual 350z I had an identical noise. I took the shifter apart and found a brass washer that was loose. I removed it and the noise went away. Any suggestions on messing around with our auto shifters? Thanks.

slomach03 11-14-2017 09:32 PM

Just to update everyone I found the squeaky noise my shaker tubing running to my air intake was loose and once I tightened it down it stopped the noise. Another thing. My Fing car starting doing that stuttering shuddering thing I first started this thread about again. After all the fixes I went thru it started again. So I went ahead and decided to check the coil covers and see if the plugs were somehow loose. This was right after the car had just been running. To my shock I found condensation and drops of water everywhere beneath the coil covers and on the cops and even down the rear most spark plug shaft. Every other time I had gone to trouble shoot the car I had opened up the coil covers after the car had been sitting some time. It was then I realized that everytime this issue had happened it had just rained. My drivers side coil cover has a leak. I took everything apart and cleaned the plugs and cops and went and drove it again. It ran like the monester I love. I went ahead and silicone sealed the **** out of the coil cover and the area where the cop wires come thru the firewall. Everything seems perfect now and I hope no more water can get in. If anyone has any other suggestions for waterproofing I would really appreciate it. Thanks all.

ab_mach1 11-14-2017 10:38 PM

More issues

Glad you found out about the leaky coil cover. Is the gasket still in good shape? They still sell replacement gaskets for those. I bought a set to put on my custom could covers I bought about two years back.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232549828582

slomach03 11-14-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1628847)
Glad you found out about the leaky coil cover. Is the gasket still in good shape? They still sell replacement gaskets for those. I bought a set to put on my custom could covers I bought about two years back.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232549828582

Honestly the gasket seems fine it was leaking like a sponge right where the cop wiring starts closest to the firewall. I’m just surprised the water didn’t do any more damage. As long as the silicone holds up I should be fine but if not I’ll try that link you sent for the gasket. Thanks