2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   NEW Mach 1 Owner Introductions (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone know this car? Black Mach 1 from Alabama/Kingman AZ (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136598)

blk-mach 08-30-2018 12:19 PM

Anyone know this car? Black Mach 1 from Alabama/Kingman AZ

I recently purchased this Mach to participate in the Sandhills Open Road Challenge (SORC) in Nebraska. It’s a 55 mile road race. I’m planning on adding a few things to the car as it has some nice modifications already. I’m interested in hearing from the previous owner as I’d like to know if there has been anything done to it that I may be missing.
Car seems to have living in Vegas, Montgomery Alabama and Kingman Arizona
Modifications currently done:
Kooks stainless headers/X pipe (no cats)
Borla stainless exhaust
K&N intake
MGW short throw shifter
SVT Cobra wheels
AEM A:F gauge (kinda works sometimes)

Planned Modifications for the race next August (I’ll be making another thread regarding this)
E85 conversion— 39lb FRPP injectors, deatsch 340lph pump
Aluminum Driveshaft
4.30 gears
Hawk HP Plus brake pads
Kenny Brown brake cooling ducts
Dyno tune/SCT tuner by lsxklr out of Bonner springs KS
Maybe 18” wheels with tires yet to be determined
Ethanol monitor gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
Some kind of Track Attack GPS speed monitor
...other stuff I’m sure... probably not going to do much suspension work yet
Planning on competing in the 90mph class

blk-mach 08-30-2018 12:30 PM

Re: Anyone know this car? Black Mach 1 from Alabama/Kingman AZ

1 Attachment(s)
More pics to come

not a gt 08-30-2018 05:19 PM

For a road course why 4:30 gears? That is more for drag strip in my humble opinion, why not stock 3:55, or hell a 3:27 for the long, straight stretches?

not a gt 08-30-2018 05:20 PM

Also what spring, shocks, sway bar, etc mods? Is it a curvy course?

blk-mach 08-30-2018 06:16 PM

Would the 4.30s be too low? I’ve read quite a bit and it seems to be the gear of choice for the Mach 1 given the pretty high redline.
For those unfamiliar with the SORC you should really check it out. Pretty unique event with awesome cars from all over the country. The course has some curves and hills. Lots of straights. Competing in the 90mph class means whoever averages closest to 90 wins. Max of 120 on the straights. I’ve never owned a car before (slow diesel pickups and fast motorcycles) so I’m certainly open to input. I figured the 4.30s would leave it in a good part of the powerband around 90mph in 4th.

blk-mach 08-30-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not a gt (Post 1632456)
Also what spring, shocks, sway bar, etc mods? Is it a curvy course?

Considering leaving the stock setup. I’m a little hesitant to mess with the geometry too much given the rate of speed involved and my inexperience with such things. I figure the ford engineers know better than I do. I’m certainly open to suggestions. I don’t really want to lower the car much as the long tube headers bottom out on occasion already

blk-mach 08-30-2018 06:27 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubtZ2txLSPM

Three events in the challenge
22 mile (11 down 11 back) Loup 2 Loup race
1 mile top speed shoot out
55 mile open road race

blk-mach 08-30-2018 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics

not a gt 09-01-2018 06:07 AM

You should be ok except for top speed in a mile...I have a set of road course rotors and brake padsused once for a 3 25 min session at Roebling rd in Ga...Raybestos ST-47, came from a race shop in NC. Read up on them and make an offerm.NOT for the street and don't faint at the price...I was out braking vettes, any pretry much everyone, will never use again and sitting in a cooler.

311-420 09-07-2018 07:07 PM

Welcome to the Reg. If you are not comfortable setting the car up but still want it to go faster around a corner, contact maximum motorsports, kenny brown or steeda. They are the leaders of road racing mustang suspension and can help you do it correctly the first time. Factory Mach 1 suspension is aimed more towards 1/4 mile performance and will be severely lacking in a road race environment.

ab_mach1 09-11-2018 12:30 PM

You never want to get to the point where you have to go into 5th gear. 4.30's might make you have to lift the accelerator on those really long straights. Those TR3650's are really geared more toward the 1/4 as well. That first gear is granny-low, like 3.30+something. If you have 4.30's and ever need to drop it in 1st on a super tight curve, it would suck IMO. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think 3.73's would be low enough to make 2nd gear useful for those situations. I would definitely see how it does with the stock gears before doing anything, though.