2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Anyone with spool? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127143)

Stopsign32v 03-20-2013 02:45 PM

Anyone with spool?

If so how do you like it? I've driven one on the street but never in a tame car like the 4v.

Roy 03-20-2013 03:37 PM

Re: Anyone with spool?

They suck. Not as bad with a slick because the side wall gives a little. On the other hand I have a like new Strange light weight 31 spline spool Ill sell ya cheap.

Stopsign32v 03-20-2013 04:29 PM

Hey you never replied to my texts! Oh and I'm no longer going with the faceplated TKO 500 I don't think. Might have it sold tomorrow.

I might just take the spool off your hands!

Roy 03-20-2013 09:39 PM

I didnt see any TXTs. Youre not doing a T56 are you?

Stopsign32v 03-20-2013 09:41 PM

I sure am

Mach828 03-21-2013 10:49 AM

What do you want for the spool? If stopsign doesn't want it, I might take it.

Roy 03-21-2013 05:50 PM

I just double checked and its a Moser spool. The bearings are still on it and they are like new also. Ill take $150 shipped for it.

Stopsign32v 03-21-2013 08:17 PM

I've thought about it and I think I'll be going with a Detroit locker instead

2camsam 03-21-2013 11:45 PM

Spool for racing is great! On the street on my car its okay if i'm going straight.

lcaptmorg 03-22-2013 12:43 AM

Great on the track, make u turns a little difficult

I have put my truetrac through the ringer. Waiting for it to break so I can try mosers wavetrac.

Stopsign32v 03-22-2013 01:52 AM

I remember first driving my 95 with the spool. Slow driving in parking spots or out it felt like I had the E-brake up the whole time.

systemdz 03-22-2013 07:39 AM

Anyone running C-clip eleminators? Was thinking about going with a spool and 9-inch ends but may just keep my TruTrac and put c-clip elems on. Just don't want any leaks.

Roy 03-22-2013 09:05 AM

I never had leaking issues but I dont drive a ton of miles. If you get them for a 1.4" dia. axle you can use them with a c-clip axle.Strange has a billit alum caliper bracket that makes using stock brakes easy. The Strange eliminators use a tapered roller bearing that gets lubed by the diff oil and the Moser uses a sealed ball bearing that gets no diff oil. The tapered roller bearing is best for a street car.

Bullitt5094 03-24-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by systemdz (Post 1539016)
Anyone running C-clip eleminators? Was thinking about going with a spool and 9-inch ends but may just keep my TruTrac and put c-clip elems on. Just don't want any leaks.

I went 9" and spool on my Bullitt. Spool and 9" ends are definitely the way to go for a high powered car. If it's street driven, go with a limited slip or locker of some sort, but use the 9" ends if you have someone that can do it. 8.8 with eliminators are prone to leakage. Also have the tubes welded too.

Mach828 04-04-2014 01:59 PM

I totally spaced the fact I'd need to eliminate the c clips on the 8.8 with a spool. Doesn't seem like there are any simple or inexpensive options to eliminate the c clips, and the caliper mount kits by Strange say they don't work with Cobra rear brakes. Plus I have moser c clip axles. I read that thread by Phil where he installs the moser kit, and I surely don't want to deal with that nightmare. I wanted to run a spool :(

WhippedMach 04-04-2014 04:48 PM

I have a spool and c-clip eliminators on my 8.8 no leaks. When at speed the car handles fine, Moving slow making tight turns you know its there can always here the tires slipping and feal the binding.

Only real down side i have noticed to it is my tires don't last near as long with the spool and street driving.

littlemags 04-04-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1577556)
I totally spaced the fact I'd need to eliminate the c clips on the 8.8 with a spool. Doesn't seem like there are any simple or inexpensive options to eliminate the c clips, and the caliper mount kits by Strange say they don't work with Cobra rear brakes. Plus I have moser c clip axles. I read that thread by Phil where he installs the moser kit, and I surely don't want to deal with that nightmare. I wanted to run a spool :(

I have the strange kit and it worked with stock brakes calipers and swapping the the GT rotor.

lcaptmorg 04-04-2014 11:14 PM

I was going to wait until I was finished to post pics but since we are on the topic. After breaking 2 31 spline carriers and twisting a set of 31 spline mosers I decided to move it up a step to 33spline. I have had plenty of spools in the past and didnt want to got that route with the mach. I have also had c-clip elims and Im not a fan. So this was my solution. Moser 33spline wave trac, moser 33 spline axles cut to maintain factory width so I dont have to buy 2 new sets of tires and rims. Moser 9" new style ends, rear end straighten in a jig then ends welded to match factory width. Aerospace brake ordered with 3 3/16 of set once again to remain factory with. Hopefully lost a few pounds in the process. Certainly not a cheap way to go. About $2500 all in but hopefully this set up will last a while. And just a note every this is just mocked up in these pics to check fitment.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rg/brakes2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...org/brakes.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rg/brakes1.jpg

ModMike 04-08-2014 06:18 PM

I've recently switched to a spool in mine. Running with a Strange spool, 35 spline axles, and the Strange C-clip eliminator kit. This kit made switching very easy with the brackets Strange includes in the kit for mounting the brake calipers. Haven't really driven it enough yet to see how much I'm going to like or dislike it but so far no leaks and it is working well.

littlemags 04-09-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModMike (Post 1577905)
I've recently switched to a spool in mine. Running with a Strange spool, 35 spline axles, and the Strange C-clip eliminator kit. This kit made switching very easy with the brackets Strange includes in the kit for mounting the brake calipers. Haven't really driven it enough yet to see how much I'm going to like or dislike it but so far no leaks and it is working well.

yep..same kit I run....and have had for over two years and no issues (leaks)

lcaptmorg 04-09-2014 11:13 AM

I definitely contemplated going that route. Probably would have been a bit simpler. I really wanted to try this diff out though and thought it would be a tough set up.

Mach828 04-09-2014 11:42 AM

Those 9" ends look beauuuutifuullll.

lcaptmorg 04-10-2014 01:59 AM

Thanks, I have a buddy in town here that does good work. Unfortunately having some fitment issues. Have had some amazing customer service form both aerospace and and moser getting everything to fit correctly.

Roy 04-10-2014 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Same housing ends I use.

lcaptmorg 04-10-2014 10:26 PM

WIth the team z IC brackets I see. Very sharp. Wish I had went with those instead of the ones with 4 positions.