2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114149)

Bwahl602 06-26-2011 03:09 AM

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

good job. I guess you decided not to degree the cams. If you ever remove the timing cover you should definitely do that

looks good

Gallows 06-26-2011 09:56 AM

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

Great write up! It will help a lot of people in the future. I didn't think blue & red would look very good together but I does give them some pop:cool:

SHAKEN 661 06-26-2011 12:03 PM

Great write up man! Alot will appreciate this! :-)

04Mach1FTW 06-27-2011 11:52 AM

still cant get my drivers side cover off :( this sucks. Putting the headers on the car was a hell of a lot less frustrating.

Mach828 06-27-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Mach1FTW (Post 1401165)
still cant get my drivers side cover off :( this sucks. Putting the headers on the car was a hell of a lot less frustrating.

Did you do these?
Take the motor mount nut off on the drivers side
Back off the passenger side nut
Tilt the motor quite a bit
Disconnect the sensor on the brake reservoir
Bend the oil dipstick towards the drivers side fender
Take off all the bolts holding the covers on
Take off the firewall clutch adjuster (either factory or OEM)
Take off the bracket that holds the power steering reservoir in front of the drivers side cover

Once you get the cover to clear the brake booster, its still won't come off all the way. Once it clears the brake booster, lower the motor a bit, and then you have to wiggle it on out.

blown03Mach1 06-27-2011 12:12 PM

Or just remove the brake booster. It is not that hard and 30 minutes tops.

littlemags 06-27-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 (Post 1401170)

agree........THAT IS WAY easier that way

04Mach1FTW 06-27-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 (Post 1401170)

Maybe I am just stupid... :SMASH: I still have it unbolted actually, but I wasnt able to pull it completely away from the fire wall. It was real tight and didnt want to come out enough for me to move it around.

Ill get a second hand to work the jack and see if I can have better luck on my next day off

blown03Mach1 06-28-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Mach1FTW (Post 1401304)
Maybe I am just stupid... :SMASH: I still have it unbolted actually, but I wasnt able to pull it completely away from the fire wall. It was real tight and didnt want to come out enough for me to move it around.

Ill get a second hand to work the jack and see if I can have better luck on my next day off

Did you disconnect the brake pedal from the booster? If not, it just unclips. Also disconnect the two hydro lines and vacuum line up at the boost along with the two brake lines under the booster and the single electrical connector at the resevior.

BTW when I mentioned that I take it out, I mean I take it out, not move it out of the way with the lines still hooked up.

watman02 06-28-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzureMach03 (Post 1399064)
have you seen this man? Maybe it can help you out if you havent seen it yet

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...s-install.html

Sorry it took me so long to get back on thats my post on SVT that your quoting, sounds like you got it back together ok and running.

BTW you only have to remove the brake lines you dont have to remove the pressure lines from the pump.

I have heard about this key way issue but I must have had 98 cams because I had no issue with reassembling it.

also what tabs are you talking about on the chaine guides???? maybe Im just confused????

Mach828 06-28-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watman02 (Post 1401475)
Sorry it took me so long to get back on thats my post on SVT that your quoting, sounds like you got it back together ok and running.

BTW you only have to remove the brake lines you dont have to remove the pressure lines from the pump.

I have heard about this key way issue but I must have had 98 cams because I had no issue with reassembling it.

also what tabs are you talking about on the chaine guides???? maybe Im just confused????

Keyway issue is only with 96-97. And the cam gear doesn't go in the same way on each side, on the drivers side it is flipped, so the keyways doesn't bind and fits flush. And the passenger side it needs to be grinded because it doesn't seat on the cam properly and binds up, and you will break it if you torque it down.

The chain tensioner has orange plastic chain guides. The guides are partially held onto the tensioner by two small fittings, that are really cheap and break easily if any side to side force is applied. Maybe in a engine with less heat cycles they aren't as brittle, but with 90k miles, they were very brittle.

04Mach1FTW 07-05-2011 04:18 PM

alright, got the brake booster out and both valve covers off. Is there a specific way to make **** sure you dont skip a timming tooth? Are you supposed to pull the cams as the engine stopped? or turn it to TDC cylinder #1. Thanks, im trying to figure this out

Mach828 07-05-2011 08:57 PM

I used wires to keep the tension on the chain taunt. I also used white out to mark the timing gears like crazy to make sure I could tell if it moved.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x.../cammarks3.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x.../cammarks2.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x.../cammarks1.jpg

Mach828 07-05-2011 08:58 PM

Dyno tune for E70 is happening on Friday :) So dyno numbers coming soon!

Mach828 07-08-2011 08:28 PM

Dyno up! Car runs great now. Picked up about 22hp peak, same torque. Car pulls really strong up top now.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...dyno_mach1.jpg

musclemerc 07-08-2011 10:48 PM

22HP with a non degreed install...
Where's Modularspeed? This is beginning to sound familiar

Do you have a before dyno sheet to do an overlay?

Mach828 07-09-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musclemerc (Post 1404085)
22HP with a non degreed install...
Where's Modularspeed? This is beginning to sound familiar

Do you have a before dyno sheet to do an overlay?

No. I don't. It was a different dyno and a while ago.

But we did an overlay with another mach one with 5 more hp than i did before the cam swap, and vs the stock cams at 6500 I picked up 35hp over that car.

At 5k though it used to drop hard on the hp, and now it stays even with the new cams. Up top it made a huge differenence

ASH302 07-10-2011 01:36 AM

congrates man, i love how well your write up was and very detailed, i wish we get more of these on the forum, for sure would help people out alot.

nice number gains, pretty much what you were going to get out of em. enjoy em

btw the valve covers and with the red coil covers look sick, i like em alot

ASh

mustangfrank 02-05-2012 09:36 PM

Why this post is not a sticky? It should be!!

WNTAMACH1 02-05-2012 09:46 PM

I keep debating this mod, but I want some nice customs.

jaimoe 02-06-2012 10:24 AM

I would love to do this mod but, as mine is my only daily driver its gonna have to wait.I don't think I could start it on a Friday and finish in time to go to work on Monday morning.

ModMike 02-06-2012 09:22 PM

Nice write up!

ASH302 03-26-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangfrank (Post 1457879)
Why this post is not a sticky? It should be!!

i'm thinking the same thing,
this is outstanding just for taking off valve covers
sticky my vote

ASh

ASH302 03-26-2012 02:57 AM

sent a PM to the big dog, lets see if we can make this a sticky

ASh

C Vo 05-17-2012 01:19 PM

Awesome write up bro. Thanks for sharing.