2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes & Suspension (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Ball joint replacement (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135753)

ab_mach1 02-17-2017 01:31 PM

Ball joint replacement

I'm wanting to replace my ball joints at home. Is this doable at home? Any tips are welcome!

NastyNate 02-17-2017 06:43 PM

Re: Ball joint replacement

Hmmmm I know I did mine they werent too bad. I think I just used a mini sledge and put jack stand under the a arm. I might of had a puller or something but the ball joint separator I bought didnt work. Sorry not much help but its def doable in the driveway. Oh yeah MOOG ball joints here...also did the tie rods at the same time.

03Shadow Grey 02-17-2017 08:06 PM

I have recently changed mine at home so yes. Jack the car up high so you have room for the rent A tool. You can use an impact on the tool or just tighten it up and smack the top with a hammer , repeat. I heated up the A Arm for the passenger side because it was being stubborn, just a propane torch and done.
Reverse the tool to reinstall.Took about one hour per side depending on Beer consumption! lol

ab_mach1 02-18-2017 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1624214)
Hmmmm I know I did mine they werent too bad. I think I just used a mini sledge and put jack stand under the a arm. I might of had a puller or something but the ball joint separator I bought didnt work. Sorry not much help but its def doable in the driveway. Oh yeah MOOG ball joints here...also did the tie rods at the same time.

I was planning on the a set of Steeda X2's. Steeda parts are usually good right? I guess I should consider the tie rods as well. Did you have a prob putting the new ones in without the special tool?

ab_mach1 02-18-2017 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1624219)
I have recently changed mine at home so yes. Jack the car up high so you have room for the rent A tool. You can use an impact on the tool or just tighten it up and smack the top with a hammer , repeat. I heated up the A Arm for the passenger side because it was being stubborn, just a propane torch and done.

Reverse the tool to reinstall.Took about one hour per side depending on Beer consumption! lol

What do you think about removing the A arm's and taking them to a local shop to have them swap the ball joints out..?

The "stubborn" part has me worried haha.

NastyNate 02-18-2017 06:56 AM

Steeda stuff is good. Jus dont go with those cheapo autozone ones! The ball joint werent bad at all. I thought they were gonna be worse after the things I had read. You could remove the a arms if you wanted and have someone else do it But Id give it a try for yourself 1st.

03Shadow Grey 02-18-2017 12:31 PM

I guess it just depends on your Money to Patience ratio !
By stubborn I mean it wasn't coming out fast enough for me ( patience)
I just like the challenge and doing it myself and the money I save goes into more mods,not someone else pocket.
Having said that ,if they want to charge me 400$ labor to replace my ring and pinion and spider gears with a warranty, that's another story !

jbrad88 02-19-2017 09:47 AM

My humble suggestion...if you are taking the arms out anyway... a good set of MOOG replacement ball joints run @ 50$ or so each...or a little more. When my Dad's mustang had a ball joint break, I got the replacement arms thru LRS for @ $200.00, Got new joints and bushings...

if you are taking the arms out anyway..makes for an easy swap. get grease fittings too if i remember for the joints...

Just a suggestion...its not a bad job just doing the ball joints. just get a quality one like MOOG or Steeda, and use the right tool...

as always...JMHO

ab_mach1 02-19-2017 04:35 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info. I think I'll give it a try. It certainly helps not being my daily. I post up if I have questions once I get started.

Instagram: @ab_mach1

rich1 02-21-2017 03:15 PM

Just go and rent the ball joint removal / install tool from a auto parts store . A little WD -40 and they will go in fine.

falcongtho3 02-21-2017 08:48 PM

Just put a new set of tires on the Mach 1 (Cooper RS3A-S) and checked out the front end, and what do you know? Ball joint time. So I'll be beating and banging on it this coming week, and I agree that putting Moog parts on is the only smart move out there. Everything else seems fine, so 123k in, everything seems to be holding up.

:borg:

NastyNate 02-22-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1624320)
Just put a new set of tires on the Mach 1 (Cooper RS3A-S) and checked out the front end, and what do you know? Ball joint time. So I'll be beating and banging on it this coming week, and I agree that putting Moog parts on is the only smart move out there. Everything else seems fine, so 123k in, everything seems to be holding up.

How do like those tires?

falcongtho3 02-22-2017 06:56 AM

I'm gonna give them a few days before deciding how much I like them or don't. First impressions are good,but launch traction is only fair, but these are new tires so I'll give them a chance to wear in.

j rick kirby 02-22-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastyNate (Post 1624324)
How do like those tires?

I have tried 2 sets on my car recently.The price is good and they handle pretty well for a 300 tw tire but do not hold up to the rigors of track use. I tore big chunks of tread out right down to the cord on all four tires on two different sets so I had to trash them. The chunks seem to have been torn out under braking.

sutyak 02-22-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1624233)
I guess it just depends on your Money to Patience ratio !
By stubborn I mean it wasn't coming out fast enough for me ( patience)
I just like the challenge and doing it myself and the money I save goes into more mods,not someone else pocket.
Having said that ,if they want to charge me $400 labor to replace my ring and pinion and spider gears with a warranty, that's another story !

Money to patience ratio. I'm going to remember that one. :23: