2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes & Suspension (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Front brake replacement planning (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136967)

ab_mach1 01-23-2020 12:44 PM

Front brake replacement planning

I'm planning to do some brake work on my Mach. I've seen a few of you buy from Rotor Pros, but I don't really care for the purchasing process. I really want to see what I'm buying. I'm wanting to upgrade, but main a visual upgrade. I've been eyeballing this Wilwood kit, mainly because it's similar to one of their other kits, but for 17" and larger (rather than 18" and larger).

https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...04/p/DBF219-V/

I really like the rear to match, so this kit seems nice.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/wilwood-...04/p/DBR180-V/

Does anyone have either of these kits?

Does anyone know if the AFS 10.5" Mach rep wheels fit with the rear kit? It mention the offset need. Does anyone know the best way to measure this on my AFSrear wheels?

I know they're expensive, so similar options are certainly welcomed. I really like the idea of a like set where I just buy pads and drop them in when needed. I also really like the look of a clean, rust free caliper and rotor brake setup. I think when I get to my long term Maximum Motorsports suspension plans, the brakes will really set off the Mach looks.

DSG2003Mach1 01-23-2020 04:09 PM

Re: Front brake replacement planning

I am not aware of any non-stock front caliper that will clear our stock 17" wheels without a spacer. The spokes are too close in to the assembly and will hit the caliper.

I've never heard of these "narrow" calipers before, I would definitely do my homework before purchasing

edit: I posted the question on the page to see if they've ever or can check fitment

mikesbird 01-23-2020 08:31 PM

Have you considered a red powder coated caliper from Rockauto? They are listed for ~$46 each for the front and ~$54 each for the rear.

ab_mach1 01-24-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesbird (Post 1635651)
Have you considered a red powder coated caliper from Rockauto? They are listed for ~$46 each for the front and ~$54 each for the rear.

I admit, I’m a bit leery of them as far as fitment etc. I thought about just pulling mine off, cleaning them up and sending them to be powder coated, but I have a broken part on my passenger front caliper.

Have you bought them or know someone that has?

FastEddie09 01-24-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1635654)
I admit, I’m a bit leery of them as far as fitment etc. I thought about just pulling mine off, cleaning them up and sending them to be powder coated, but I have a broken part on my passenger front caliper.

Have you bought them or know someone that has?

Is there a rebuild kit for our calipers? I've done this before. Disassemble and gave the caliper to powder coaters, and had a rebuild kit waiting when it got done.

ab_mach1 01-25-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastEddie09 (Post 1635657)
Is there a rebuild kit for our calipers? I've done this before. Disassemble and gave the caliper to powder coaters, and had a rebuild kit waiting when it got done.

I’ll check into that. Honestly, I don’t need more brake performance. But, I really want a good looking setup. Stainless braided brake lines and performance brake pads will probably be a notable improvement for me.

FastEddie09 01-25-2020 02:50 PM

Check Late Model Restoration. They have the cobra kits which I believe are identical to our stock. Uncoated or red.

32VALVR 02-16-2020 01:39 AM

Do not buy Rotorpros. I had them and it felt like my foot was right on the rotor. 200Cobra R if you can find them. Brembo four piston, also fancy drilled rotors are just for looks. Nice cheap untouched cast iron works the best.

311-420 02-16-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32VALVR (Post 1635771)
Do not buy Rotorpros. I had them and it felt like my foot was right on the rotor. 200Cobra R if you can find them. Brembo four piston, also fancy drilled rotors are just for looks. Nice cheap untouched cast iron works the best.

Sup Dave! What exactly was wrong with your rotors? My slotted ones from rotorpros have worked well for about 25k miles with hawk hps and stoptech street pads biting at them. I can feel the slots in the pedal sometimes, depending on how much pressure I apply, but I only feel it below 20mph. I can image this has to be typical for a slotted piece. I make the trade for a bit of performance and styling. Can't argue with the Cobra R setup though, which is slotted as well. May eventually do something like that.

ab_mach1 02-17-2020 12:19 PM

Do you guys feel that if you were buying a front complete kit, going with the 2000R kit would be a better choice? They are a little cheaper as far as kits go, but maybe it's a more reliable setup?

311-420 02-18-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1635774)
Do you guys feel that if you were buying a front complete kit, going with the 2000R kit would be a better choice? They are a little cheaper as far as kits go, but maybe it's a more reliable setup?

It's Brembo stuff. Same manufacturer as our oem brakes, just twice as many pistons in these calipers, slotted rotors, stainless lines and better pads. Ought to be plenty reliable and a big step up in performance. Especially if you're still using motorcraft pads. Those things suuuuuck.

Almost positive you would need to have 18s to use these though. I think I remember you run stockers up front and deep dish out back?

ab_mach1 02-20-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1635775)
It's Brembo stuff. Same manufacturer as our oem brakes, just twice as many pistons in these calipers, slotted rotors, stainless lines and better pads. Ought to be plenty reliable and a big step up in performance. Especially if you're still using motorcraft pads. Those things suuuuuck.

Almost positive you would need to have 18s to use these though. I think I remember you run stockers up front and deep dish out back?

I do...man, that's a bummer. Can't buy 18's anytime soon. I wish I had the forethought of this back when I originally ordered my deepdish AFS replicas. They were selling 18's at the time and had plenty in stock. Dang! :(

DSG2003Mach1 02-20-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab_mach1 (Post 1635777)
I do...man, that's a bummer. Can't buy 18's anytime soon. I wish I had the forethought of this back when I originally ordered my deepdish AFS replicas. They were selling 18's at the time and had plenty in stock. Dang! :(

Even with 18s I'm pretty sure there's still an issue with clearance on the front of the caliper and the spokes of the wheel. It might clear the barrel but would still hit the spokes without a spacer