2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes & Suspension (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11554)

Fill 01-23-2004 01:33 PM

Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics

Ran across this web site, thought some of you might be interested!

www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

DSG2003Mach1 01-23-2004 02:38 PM

good find! thanks

Ralph Greene 03-17-2004 03:19 PM

Stock Suspension Explained (05 Also)...No Bull

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
Hi Guys...For anyone interested in this stuff. Forgot I had it in my favorites. Don't remember where I got it, maybe from one of you.

BlkMachWon 03-17-2004 04:12 PM

Good info, thanx for sharing Ralph

Ralph Greene 03-17-2004 04:58 PM

Remember when he is talking about possible bump steer problems when car is lowered over about 1 1/2", he is talking about from stock GT height. We're already lowerd about 1/2" from that, so many of us have limited further lowering to the 3/4-1" range for that reason. My Steeda Sports lowered no more than 3/4" from stock height, which is already lowered about 1/2". So I figure I'm lowered about 1 1/4" from stock height for our suspensions. I believe for a little stiffer springs than mine, H&R race springs from MM limit lowerering to that amount also, for good steering. You will notice that spring kits designed for good handling on our crude suspension cars don't usually lower very much.

03SHKR 01-20-2005 01:39 PM

Re: Late Model Mustang Suspension Basics

I came across this site a while back and saved it to my favorites. And I'm glad I did.

I'm in the middle of getting a lot of suspension work done. This site helped me a lot.

jbvfla 06-30-2006 11:56 AM

did any 04 machs have subframe connectors?. i have them on mine. the technical specifications under rear have a misc. subframe connectors. thanks JOE

SPDASND 06-30-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbvfla
did any 04 machs have subframe connectors?. i have them on mine. the technical specifications under rear have a misc. subframe connectors. thanks JOE

yes, all Mach's came with SFCs I believe ...they are junk, but they are there. MM full-lengths are the way to go! :yeh:

nikbait 11-04-2007 09:49 PM

Ok guys, I am opening up this thread again because I know nothing really about suspension. I heard that the mach's suspension could be better and that upgrades are often done...is this true? What kind of suspension upgrades would be recommended on a stock mach?

SPDASND 11-04-2007 09:52 PM

basic? springs, shocks/struts, swaybars, CC plates. then if your budget allows, some subframe connectors, strut brace, upper/lower control arms

nikbait 11-05-2007 11:31 AM

Wow, see yeah I am a noob when it comes to anything suspension. Is it wise to think about lowering the mach? I know they're already a bit lower than the stock GT..

nikbait 11-11-2007 02:17 PM

n y one...

SPDASND 11-11-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikbait (Post 887887)
Is it wise to think about lowering the mach? I know they're already a bit lower than the stock GT..

very wise. :3amin:

nikbait 11-11-2007 02:49 PM

Ok, so what parts etc is best for lowering...and suspension wise what parts are needed, what brands are best....I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

SPDASND 11-11-2007 06:16 PM

to start things off, get some H&R SuperSport springs with Maximum Motorsport (MM) spring isolators, some Bilstein shocks, and MM Caster/Camber plates. This will lower you to about what you see below and give great range for alignment adjustability. Drive that around for a little bit.

If you want more handling, pick up some Eibach swaybars, MM full-length subframe connectors, and MM adjustable lower control arms.

I pretty much listed everything I did and was very happy with the setup, but if you want more opinions on brands and experiences, you might want to poke around in the suspension forum, or start your own thread in there asking what to do. This thread throws people off and probably don't think to come in here to answer advice.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cphilyaw...20(resize).jpg

nikbait 11-11-2007 06:24 PM

Yours looks real good and about what I was wanting to do. Sounds good for a start thank you! Now, did you have the parts installed or did you do it yourself? How hard is it to do yourself if you did it that way?

SPDASND 11-11-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikbait (Post 892336)
Yours looks real good and about what I was wanting to do. Sounds good for a start thank you! Now, did you have the parts installed or did you do it yourself? How hard is it to do yourself if you did it that way?

^that is a pretty old picture actually. It now has deep dish Mach wheels and a Cobra IRS :smokin: no pics though :smack:

How good of a mechanic are you? If you are an amateur like me, everything can be done except the subframe connectors, those MUST be welded. Just have some patience and expect your car to be down for a couple days, depending on how much you want to tackle.

nikbait 11-11-2007 06:55 PM

Yes, amateur for sure.

The basic stuff would be first, then depending on how much I like/don't like, will go with the subframe connectors etc.

8616v 11-12-2007 10:25 AM

I was looking around and found 2" drop spindles here...that would fix alot of those problems...'course you'd need coilovers to adjust the ride height back up to where you want to but it would fix alot of the geometry problems from lowering...

Exithios 02-14-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8616v (Post 892743)
I was looking around and found 2" drop spindles here...that would fix alot of those problems...'course you'd need coilovers to adjust the ride height back up to where you want to but it would fix alot of the geometry problems from lowering...

I like the ride quality of my stock springs...

I am curious to know with these drop spindles and a set of 1" adjustable LCA's what the look and ride quality would be?

UIN2IT 07-04-2009 04:59 PM

Thought this would be good to place in here:

States IN ORDER which Springs drop how much to include Spring Rates!?

** Keep in mind this info is for the 1999-2004 Mustang GT Coupe which is about .50 to .75" higher than the Mach1**

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9...ngratesvv0.png

EDITED: CHANGED frpp b & c Drop Distance (Corrected from .875 to 1.2")

Lonestar7 07-04-2009 06:32 PM

Suspension will help you feel the road better I spent a ton on my Mach and the watts link and adjustible rear control arms are the bomb plus D spec's and braces front and rear and full welded in sub frames.

LS:claus:

UIN2IT 07-15-2009 07:42 AM

More great info:

MATCHING SPRING RATES TO STRUTS/SHOCKS

not a gt 02-27-2013 02:27 AM

I am running a 10-150 spring on a UPR coil over setup and with Strange shocks set on 5, bottoms out bad so I went to an 8 but ride sucks, now changing to a smaller pinion snubber, but I have kept ride height adjusted to stock, do I need different springs? This thread was very helpful, excellent postings!!