2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Body, Chassis & Interior (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Did a couple pretty things over the weekend! Homemade Cobra mirrors! (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136019)

TRbetngu 06-13-2017 10:41 AM

Did a couple pretty things over the weekend! Homemade Cobra mirrors!

5 Attachment(s)
I've had this car for about three and a half months now, loving every minute of it. However, for some reason I've been putting off my favorite mods. I finally just bit the bullet and bought me a decklid panel from LMR, and got me some new pretty mirrors. Easily my favorite appearance mods (besides a lowering and wheels).

I did the mirrors myself with automotive touch-up paint ( link: http://www.automotivetouchup.com) and I am really happy with how they came out. They don't fold, and I do admit that is a very nice feature, but it isn't something that I want to pay another $350-$400 for. This route cost me about $65 for everything, including the cost for another set of mirrors in case of a screw-up. I tried to tape off the lines similar to Cobra mirrors, and sanded the absolute snot of the factory mirrors to get the texture off. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I know it's cheap and maybe a bit trashy, but to the naked eye they appear the same. Let me know what you think, good or bad!

On to the pics! Sorry, no time for a decent photoshoot yet. Some driveway shots will have to do! :PICS:

TTSaleen 06-13-2017 10:46 AM

Re: Did a couple pretty things over the weekend! Homemade Cobra mirrors!

Looks good.

DSG2003Mach1 06-13-2017 11:07 AM

wow, nice job on the mirrors

ScreeminMach 06-13-2017 03:26 PM

Those look really nice. I love the color match look and I ordered some for the Mach but they were a different style and they looked too ricer for me so I sent them back. I think I will give it a try myself but what grit of sand paper did you finish with?

TRbetngu 06-13-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTSaleen (Post 1627027)
Looks good.

Thanks, Ryan!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1627030)

Thanks man. Quite a bit of work but well worth the look in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScreeminMach (Post 1627037)
Those look really nice. I love the color match look and I ordered some for the Mach but they were a different style and they looked too ricer for me so I sent them back. I think I will give it a try myself but what grit of sand paper did you finish with?

I started with 180/320 grit to get the texture off of the factory mirrors, then sprayed with adhesion promoter. After three or four coats of primer I wet-sanded with 600 grit. Then basecoated them, then clear coated them, and then wet-sanded again with 2500 grit 48 hours later. Finished them off with some Meguiars polish and they are awfully shiny! I might paint the factory ones that came off the car with the leftover paint and do a how-to if that would help anyone.

ScreeminMach 06-13-2017 06:09 PM

I went to the website on the hyperlink you posted thinking I would just order a spray can of the paint. There are a lot of choices and I was wondering if you used the aerosol can or did you spray it with a gun?

TRbetngu 06-13-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScreeminMach (Post 1627045)
I went to the website on the hyperlink you posted thinking I would just order a spray can of the paint. There are a lot of choices and I was wondering if you used the aerosol can or did you spray it with a gun?

Yeah, I used the aerosol cans. To get the aerosol cans to come out smooth is a bit tricky but to do it right you will need a few different cans. I got one can of red sandable primer, one can of Torch Red (or whatever your specific color is) base coat, and one can of glossy clear coat.

311-420 06-14-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 (Post 1627030)

This. Pretty amazing what a spray can can do.

03Shadow Grey 06-14-2017 09:03 PM

Wow man , great job on those mirrors ! I may just steal this idea :3amin:

slomach03 06-14-2017 09:27 PM

That looks awesome nice job. I love the decklids on our cars

TRbetngu 06-15-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1627066)
This. Pretty amazing what a spray can can do.

Thanks my man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey (Post 1627077)
Wow man , great job on those mirrors ! I may just steal this idea :3amin:

Take it! It's a time consuming task, but overall very simple.
Quote:

Originally Posted by slomach03 (Post 1627079)
That looks awesome nice job. I love the decklids on our cars

I know, I've liked those since I was a 14 year old kid. There's no explaining it but they just look nice.

TRbetngu 06-15-2017 10:05 AM

I'm super impressed that nobody has yelled at me for the awful wheel gap yet. :OUCH:

311-420 06-15-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRbetngu (Post 1627091)
I'm super impressed that nobody has yelled at me for the awful wheel gap yet. :OUCH:

I already did in another thread! :23:

TRbetngu 06-15-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311-420 (Post 1627094)
I already did in another thread! :23:

I know :24: I'm slowly working on it. Still my DD and there are some awful steep take-ins around here.

ab_mach1 06-15-2017 12:07 PM

Looks excellent! Helluva job with the paint!

311-420 06-15-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRbetngu (Post 1627099)
I know :24: I'm slowly working on it. Still my DD and there are some awful steep take-ins around here.

Hey, it'll never ride as good as it does stock. And there's something to say for that. Enjoy every minute of it. There's plenty of time to be low. :3:

Cooldbz12 06-15-2017 02:37 PM

how much you charge to do mine!

TRbetngu 06-15-2017 03:23 PM

With as much time as it took I'd probably charge somewhere around $100 plus paint. Like I said, it's not tough to do. You just have to be very intricate. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Cooldbz12 06-15-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRbetngu (Post 1627111)
With as much time as it took I'd probably charge somewhere around $100 plus paint. Like I said, it's not tough to do. You just have to be very intricate. PM me if you want to talk about it.

PM sent ! :gears:

TRbetngu 06-16-2017 05:59 PM

PM replied to! If this goes well I might start doing this just for people on here.