2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Body, Chassis & Interior (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Low gas Pedal fix (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11719)

Angus66 01-27-2004 12:06 PM

Low gas Pedal fix

Tired of the gas pedal being lower than the brake pedal?
Want to be able to "hell& Toe" drive?

Here's a mod to raise the stock gas pedal to match the height of the brake pedal by taking the slack out of the gas/accelerator cable:

Taking up the slack in your Mustang accelerator pedal.

This was my 1st mod after a K&N drop-in air filter. :COOL:

It's kind of a beetch to get under the dash to do it, but it's pretty simple after that... :cool:

BONESTOCK 01-13-2005 03:06 AM

Re: Low gas Pedal fix

Now with the pedal moved up more...is it possible to give it to much gas? Like open the throttle body to much....or snap the line?

03SHKR 01-14-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BONESTOCK
Now with the pedal moved up more...is it possible to give it to much gas? Like open the throttle body to much....or snap the line?

What he said....

Does it work well? Cause any problems? Anyone else try this?

:what:

C-dub 01-14-2005 08:08 PM

looks "back yard rigged" there has to be a better way?
c-dub

Angus66 01-14-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-dub
looks "back yard rigged" there has to be a better way?
c-dub

Yeah, there's a better way.

I had a buddy at my work (an engineer, welder & mechanical guru :D ) modify a spare gas pedal I bought to make it stronger & add a solid custom spacer at the same time:

http://home.kc.rr.com/kchof/Throttle...cer%200003.jpg

http://home.kc.rr.com/kchof/Throttle...cer%200002.jpg

http://home.kc.rr.com/kchof/Throttle%20Arm%200004.jpg

Bincky 01-15-2005 01:41 PM

There's one thing you all better check if you've done this and/or considering it.

Disconnect the battery (to avoid flooding the engine), and pull the intake hose off of the throttle body. Have someone else get in the car and mash the gas pedal.

You're checking to make sure that the throttle plates are opening to a point that is perfectly perpendicular (90 degrees) to the throttle openings...thus maximizing the opening and minimizing turbulence caused by the plates.

It's conceivable that with this modification that you are opening the throttle plates greater than 90 degrees, which will actually hinder air-flow.

H-TownMachI 01-15-2005 01:58 PM

How do you flood a fuel injected engine?

SVTSnake 01-15-2005 04:36 PM

This was 1 of the 1st mods that I did to my Cobra's, and was probably the 1st mod I did to the Mach!

As far as opening the butterflies to much, it doesn't! The only real drawback of the mod is getting use to the new height of the pedal! You look like a dork going up the rode for the 1st time as you are giving it to much gas between shifts. Once you get use to it, its sweet!

Cheap, easy mod. I bought a bi-fold closet hardware bag from Lowe's, used the plastic piece that you hammer into the top of the door, cut it to size and used the dremel to make a slit in it to go around the cable. Then just use 1 small worm band and be done with it!

GrimlokTT 01-15-2005 10:15 PM

This may be the harder way of getting the pedals even, but I already lowered my clutch pedal. Therefore, my clutch and gas are even and my brake is higher. I was thinking about getting another bracket, or cutting a metal bracket, to move the brake booster about .5 inch or so away from the firewall and consequently moving the brake pedal out even with the others. Thoughts?

03SHKER 01-18-2005 03:54 PM

I used black zip ties the first day I had the Mach, and you can't see 'em. Feels WAY better than the stock height.

GO2REDLINE 04-25-2005 12:29 PM

LOL, i needs no freaking pedal fix to heel-toe.

jspalmer01 04-25-2005 01:12 PM

I have done the fix on a previous car. I put a bushing in just big enough to take SOME of the slack out and it worked well on the street. You can go all the way and take all the slack out, which puts the pedal very close to the brake pedal heigth. This is great for road racing if you do a lot of heal/toe shifting, and are good at it. Only drawback to a street car is it you miss the brake pedal and hit the gas you might cause an accident....yikes. I would venture to say most of us are not experienced heal/toe shirters....including myself.

ls1 killer 03-02-2006 01:02 AM

i tried this and went and inch on the spacer like they said....turned the car on and was stuck at 3k......i wont f with my throttle cable anymore......they may be a reason for that slack......plus i can still heel toe at the drags to heat my radials with a size 14 shoe...how are you having problems with heel toe? lol

StangIT 10-24-2006 07:22 PM

Gotta love the pedal mod... Works like a champ! :3amin:

97on22s 03-18-2007 10:36 PM

this looks like a good thing to look into. i hate that i cant work the gas brake witht he same foot. to do a burn out safely it seems. il have to check into this tommorow

MyMustang 04-06-2011 01:29 PM

Someone with access to some good shop equipment should be able to come up with a cheap but more solid way to do this ...i liked the idea of making the fix on actual pedal like stated above by Angus66 Could sell it for like 45$

rickmartin96 08-25-2011 10:21 AM

I used a blue scotchlock electrical connector. Take the metal plate out of it, clip it over the cable and shut lever on connector. I trimmed one end of it down to get the height I wanted...I knew there had to be a good use for scotchlocks, they suck for wiring..or you can just grab the pedal and bend it up, mine seemed slightly bent towards floor, pretty weak design. Or I can sell everyone a kit to fix it for $45 plus shipping of course........................

fredfred 01-09-2012 09:09 PM

finally did my gas pedal mod. I installed my BBK 65 MM t.b. I had so much slack. I found my old motorcycle cable adjuster (clutch). Adjusted it very easy after the install. Does not look rigged. Even took the time to paint it flat black. Looks stock!! Money spent for mod. was a whopping 10 mins. Took 1 hour to install my BBK. Spent 140.00 for it. You can adjust it so easy..

outofnothing5 02-17-2012 12:06 AM

The motorcycle clutch adjuster is an excellent idea. Could we actually tap the pedal and use a the clutch adjuster to give us more control?

vertigyn 02-17-2012 08:48 AM

Thanks - I'm planning on doing this!

WNTAMACH1 09-13-2012 11:05 AM

My gas pedal gets caught on my carpet. I'm going to try this very soon!