2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust System (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Serious Exhaust Help Needed (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17571)

blakkmakk1 05-20-2004 03:07 PM

Serious Exhaust Help Needed

I've been trying to figure out this dilemma for a while now without much success. I've got a '03 mach (auto) and i'm trying to add hp and torque. I was going for bassani catback w/ x-pipe, but it seems extremely expensive. Plus, i'm really kind of new to all this and need details to exactly what is needed for these mods. Can anyone suggest alternate exhaust, prices/sites, and product #'s??? I'm trying to spend under $1000 total. Any feedback would be extremely appreciated.

TheWaterSkier 05-20-2004 03:11 PM

Well, you could start by reading this thread. There are a ton of happy Borla owners on this site. The system is Stainless Steel with rolled tips like the stock ones (except 4" in diameter). Performance Peddlers sells them to registry members for $405.00 shipped (and they are fast, got mine in three days as promised).

Then, with the savings over the Bassini catback, you go get your X-pipe or H-pipe (they sound very different but have similar horsepower gains).

Good luck!

04BlackMach 05-20-2004 03:13 PM

I would call and order a Magnaflow cat x-pipe and cat back system from www.performancepeddler.com 866-399-4215
Lowest prices around.

blakkmakk1 05-20-2004 03:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm just wondering what the difference between each of the manufacturers is. I've heard the name SLP Loudmouths around the board to. What to do... what to do...

blakkmakk1 05-20-2004 03:23 PM

In terms of an X-pipe, does Borla make one, if not, what and where can I get a reliable one. Secondly, can you install an x-pipe and an h-pipe... not sure what each does. Can somebody explain these to me?

hotrodmach1 05-20-2004 04:26 PM

i just ordered the magnaflow cat back system from completeexhaust.com for 299 +ups, and the MRT h pipe with cats for 449.
I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, but from my understanding the h or x pipe equalizes the exhaust between both pipes, cutting down on exhaust backpressure, and thus improving hp and torque. The x pipe gives you more of an exotic sound, think european sports car, the h pipe is supposed to give you a deeper muscle car sound. I've heard this setup in nashville at the 40th and i liked it. i think its mainly personal preference, if you search the sites, they have sound clips of the various systems. I made my decision based on price and that they are stainless

blakkmakk1 05-20-2004 04:36 PM

So is there a difference (besides the sound) in hp and torque between catted x and h pipe??

hotrodmach1 05-20-2004 04:38 PM

the x pipe or h pipe is the middle section of your exhaust. you can use one or the other. the exhaust starts at the exhaust manifolds, which are bolted to the heads on your engine, then your h or x pipe. you have an h pipe with cats from the factory. the flanges are bolted together with a gasket between them. then you have your cat back which basically your muffler, tailpipe and exhaust tips. after market exhaust will flow more freely and will sound better. get under your car and youll see.

ttown 05-20-2004 04:51 PM

I just brought a set of Magna Pack catbacks from Performance Peddler for $315 to my door. I got a better deal than the $299 plus shipping that completeexhaust.com had. Magna Flows are the same price shipped.

04BlackMach 05-20-2004 05:24 PM

blakkmakk1

Take a listen and pick out the combo you like best.

http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/cgi-bi...?ubb=forum;f=7

blakkmakk1 05-20-2004 05:34 PM

Thanks for the link. Man I really liked the magnaflows and borlas. Sounded really deep and mean. How's the magnaflow compare to the borla in terms of hp, tq, and price??

1badstang 05-20-2004 05:45 PM

all aftermarket cat-backs are bout the same power wise. price....

you can get the packs for 317$ borla is about 425$ I like borlas exhaust tips much better

hotrodmach1 05-20-2004 05:53 PM

from what i've read in reviews hp are torque differences between the major brands are not antything you would notice. I picked mine based on , the sound, quality, and price. I'm sure quality is pretty similiar between the major players, the magnaflow are stainless, mandral bent, with lifetime warranty, I'd bet the borlas are too. I buy the ones you think sound the best , check the post to see if anyone is having problems with fit or quality, and buy whats in your price range.
If you go with the magnaflows, ttown is right he got his for 15 - 20 less with who he bought from

Jrsyboy 05-20-2004 05:58 PM

Actually the Borlas are $405 shipped to your door. The 4" rolled tips keep the stock appereance (3" stock tips). Plus the Borlas come with a million year warranty. They sound awesome, plain and simple. Oh yeah, in the box you get a few Borla hats too. :D

2k4mk1 05-20-2004 07:04 PM

See my sig for my set up. All totaled between the X pipe and the Stingers Aound $900.00 Got the stingers from Extreme motorsports and the X pipe from Modular Madness. Love um bothand the fit and finish of both is top notch both are all stainless mandrel bent and the X pipe is a true X (no Chamber) and is modulardesign with removable cats:HOPPY:

RAZOR Z 05-20-2004 08:07 PM

I been driving around with flowmaster super 40s in my trunk for two weeks trying to figure out what to do... well I returned them today, I have heard way to many times now that you loose your low end torqe, I don't care where it moves to I like the get up and go of my MACH! Maybe next summer.... WITH THE VORTECH!! But now I may be leaning towards the Kenne Bell $$$

JusMachN 05-20-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2k4mk1
the X pipe is a true X (no Chamber) and is modulardesign with removable cats
There is no chamber? So does that mean that there is no actual crossover between the sides? I have seen pictures of these and have been wondering about the whole true X thing for a while. Please explain cuz I am confused. :??: :confused:

Red03Shaker 05-20-2004 09:00 PM

so

so whats better, true x or chambered x pipe? now im confused too!

blueautomach 05-20-2004 10:58 PM

Re: Serious Exhaust Help Needed

Quote:

Originally posted by blakkmakk1
I've been trying to figure out this dilemma for a while now without much success. I've got a '03 mach (auto) and i'm trying to add hp and torque. I was going for bassani catback w/ x-pipe, but it seems extremely expensive. Plus, i'm really kind of new to all this and need details to exactly what is needed for these mods. Can anyone suggest alternate exhaust, prices/sites, and product #'s??? I'm trying to spend under $1000 total. Any feedback would be extremely appreciated.
Ok here goes;
I took off my old Bassani o/r x-pipe from my '99 Cobra and had to have a couple of pieces cut, switched, and re-welded on the left side of the pipe (to clear the automatic trans). Total cost of the pipe from Houston Performance was $260 a year and a half ago. Then I got my SLP catback from SLP directly for about $360. If you can't do the labor yourself you should still have enough money to be able to finish the project for under $1K.