2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask A Police Officer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45012)

IMachU 04-26-2007 04:08 AM

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Remember guys, this isn't a "How To Get Out Of Tickets" thread....just and advice thread. That said....

You can ALWAYS challenge a cite. It is your right to do so. If you feel you were right, take it to court. In Calif, you can request to see the display of the radar unit. If the officer wants to avoid an arguement on the side of the road (which he/she WILL win), they will show you the display. Otherwise, the radar unit # and certification data should be written on the cite.

And trust me, I'm not judging you....but if you can't afford 1 point, your driving habits may need a little attention! :D Drive safe!!

musicalmerlin 04-26-2007 11:36 AM

As for the point, not sure how CA law works. In NH, there are 3 options on the citation that you mail back in - not guilty (and you get to go to court to prove your case), guilty (you pay the fine and get the points), or no contest (You pay the fine, do not admit guilt). If you check off no contest, the cop can decide to contest and then you have to go into court and both sides present. The one time I got a ticket, I was polite, courteous, and checked the third option when I mailed it in with the check. You don't get points on your license if this works. If you go into court and are found guilty, then you get the points.

Does CA have a statute allowing you to get rid of a point a year or 4 years if you take a safe driving class and send the certification in? NH has that too. Have to ask yourself if it's less expensive to do that than going to court.

ftctoolftc 04-26-2007 12:19 PM

:wtf: I wasn't asking how to get out of one. I was merely asking if radar going the opposite direction was actually valid. The one other time I've actually been pulled over through radar, I was shown the gun. It's not like my dad was a cop 30 years ago, it was only about 4-5 years ago that he decided to leave and even he couldn't recall such a device, but said he wouldn't be surprised if there was.

And me not being able to get another point is a more about me being on a good driver insurance plan etc etc.. where you can't have more than 1 point at any given time (not to mention, I'm 22 and drive a mustang.. not cheap). I've honestly just had a lot of bad luck the past year and this only validated it more. Again, was just asking for education purposes since it's near impossible to get real answers with all the add clutter that has invaded search engines.

IMachU 04-26-2007 12:31 PM

Sorry ftc....I was kind of aiming the comment at most others who have been asking how to beat a ticket, and I was working OT last night when I responded to your post. Kinda cranky.

Yes, radar works both ways, coming and going. Sounds like he gave you a break. But, like I said you still have the right to contest the cite in court. The officer may or may not show. But since it's CHP, they most ALWAYS show. Good luck!

ftctoolftc 04-26-2007 02:58 PM

Yeah I knew what had to be done in order to get a reading like that (two beams)... which I'm not surprised the CHP surely has now. No biggie, I guess I'll have to pray and hope the judge gives me the opportunity to go to traffic school.:frown:

Ian0341 05-05-2007 09:03 AM

Ok, so just I before I went to Iraq, I got a speeding ticket, and didn't have time to take care of it before I left. I asked my sister to, since she had power of attorney. Well, lo and behold, she got into an accident and it pretty much fell to the wayside. She told me that she HAD taken care of it. Now I'm worried that if I get pulled over I'm going to get arrested or something. How can I take care of this??

IMachU 05-05-2007 11:49 PM

Go to the court where you were supposed to go (should be written on the citation). Explain the situation to the court clerk, and they should re-schedule things. Just remember to bring proof of deployment with ya. Also bring a checkbook....they may have you post bail before rescheduling it (count on that part!).

Thanks for serving, and welcome back, soldier!

Ian0341 05-06-2007 02:51 AM

Ok... got it... the only problem with that is it happened when I was in CA, and I'm now stationed in VA. Should I just call them and ask?

IMachU 05-06-2007 03:01 AM

Well, that would be a good idea. Go to http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/ and get the info for the court you need (if it was in LA County). Maybe your unit has a law enforcement liaison you can work with.

acreature 05-07-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 785775)
Yes, radar works both ways, coming and going.

Hehehe, we have Same Lane/Same Direction on the approved list here in NC.

PrISM 06-05-2007 09:44 AM

So why do cops drive so much faster than the rest of us?

acreature 06-05-2007 09:48 AM

Law Enforcement Officers are exempt from traffic laws when in the performance of their duty.

swoop1156 06-05-2007 12:26 PM

I was driving yesterday and this car was maybe going 5mph faster than I and there was a police officer coming toward us in the next lane. The car hit the brakes, slowed and then passed me again.

I thought in my head: "By the time you slow down, it's too late" as he/she would have seen and run your speed by then.

Is that correct? I usually say if I can see them, they've already seen me on radar.

I was going 5 over already to avoid being run over and the local law around here on that given road usually don't bother anyone within 15 of the limit... But is it any big deal by slowing a few mph until they go by?

I don't think so.

PrISM 06-09-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 805578)
Law Enforcement Officers are exempt from traffic laws when in the performance of their duty.

I don't mean when they've got their lights on. Everyday I see cops on the freeway in the left lanes going much faster than everyone else. They'll even tailgate other drivers.

IMachU 06-10-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrISM (Post 807767)
I don't mean when they've got their lights on. Everyday I see cops on the freeway in the left lanes going much faster than everyone else. They'll even tailgate other drivers.

Do you listen to their radio frequency? How do you know they are not on their way to a call? How do you know they are not trying to catch up to a speeder? Ya know, the best way to catch up to a speeder is to go faster than the speeder. Physics at it's best.

Also, in urban environments, if a police car is on the freeway going the speed limit, do you pass it? No, you will usually sit in his/her blind spot, afraid to pass. So, this creates a bottleneck on the freeway, which causes another problem....crash concerns. So, if we go a bit faster than the flow of traffic, traffic flows better and no one gets in my blind spot and just sits there.

Sorry if this sounded sarcastic....it was not intended.

IMachU 06-10-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop1156 (Post 805648)
I was driving yesterday and this car was maybe going 5mph faster than I and there was a police officer coming toward us in the next lane. The car hit the brakes, slowed and then passed me again.

I thought in my head: "By the time you slow down, it's too late" as he/she would have seen and run your speed by then.

Is that correct? I usually say if I can see them, they've already seen me on radar.

I was going 5 over already to avoid being run over and the local law around here on that given road usually don't bother anyone within 15 of the limit... But is it any big deal by slowing a few mph until they go by?

I don't think so.

You answered your own question! Good job!! :D

tsbpenguin 06-10-2007 02:14 PM

Ok so every friday night we have a meet at our local sonic. I'd say a good 500 people are around at one time. Probably more. Anyway naturally the place is swarming with LEOs. If you play your music too loud, speed by, anything like that they get you. They keep a tow truck there for easy impounding. Ok so here's my setup
I've got a V6 and am currently working on turboing it. So at this point the exhaust dumps after the first set of cats. Its loud but its not ear shattering like open headers would be. I was leaving the meet last night, driving down the road, shifting at about 3k. Just my luck an unmarked car patrolling the road is RIGHT behind me.
So he pulls me over and asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Then he says "so whats the deal with your car, why is it so loud?" i tell him and then he goes into a tirade of he could give me a 12pt exhibition of speed ticket and tow my car. He starts talking about how my car isnt safe for myself or anyone else. He then proceeds to say that if i come back next week and the car is in the same condition he will tow it.
Whats the deal? Can it actually hold up? What was his basis for pulling me over? I didnt think they could prove defective vehicle unless i failed an emissions? I guess im just a little confused as to how he could impound my car over something like that.

acreature 06-10-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrISM (Post 807767)

I didn't say anything about their lights. They do not need to run lights nor siren if while in the performance of their duty. Sometimes you get to the job faster without them because some people freak the hell out and stop in the middle of the road when they see lights or hear sirens, rather than move to the right as they are supposed to do.

acreature 06-10-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsbpenguin (Post 808073)
Whats the deal? Can it actually hold up? What was his basis for pulling me over? I didnt think they could prove defective vehicle unless i failed an emissions? I guess im just a little confused as to how he could impound my car over something like that.

Don't know where you are, so can't answer based on what your local laws are. Don't know what he heard or saw, so still can't answer.

wigsite 06-11-2007 11:39 AM

Traffic laws on private property

So my friend, his brother and I left BW3(wing place and bar) Saturday night. The only direct exit has a right turn arrow painted on the ground. There is no sign prohibiting left turn. I live to the left about 50 yards down the road. EVERY time I go there, I make a left turn out of there. Well, there was an officer hiding in the parking lot somewhere. As soon as my bud pulls out to the left, he follows us and lights us up. Within that 15 seconds, we are already at my house so we are sitting in my driveway with the lights blazing, Neighbors gotta love that, right. The officer obviously pulled us over to see if the driver was drunk, he wasn't. No tickets issued. My question is, to what extent do traffic laws apply to private property? As I said, there were no signs prohibiting left turn. This a small neighborhood road, not some major intersection. I won't even get into the police waiting in a bar parking lot.

IMachU 06-11-2007 01:01 PM

Re: Traffic laws on private property

Sounds to me like the officer was being proactive, keeping your neighborhood safe from impaired drivers. I am not familiar with your traffic laws as I'm in So Cal, but it sounds like the officer did his job well.

acreature 06-11-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 808426)
Sounds to me like the officer was being proactive, keeping your neighborhood safe from impaired drivers. I am not familiar with your traffic laws as I'm in So Cal, but it sounds like the officer did his job well.

+1

Also, a parking lot is a Public Vehicular Area where cars are free to exit and enter without guards or gates - so some traffic laws can be enforced in them; especially traffic control signs/devices that lead onto Public/State maintained roadways.

Also, common sense dictates that if an arrow points in a certain direction, that would be the direction the poster of the sign wants you to go.

acreature 06-11-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigsite (Post 808392)
I won't even get into the police waiting in a bar parking lot.

God forbid one attempt to catch a Drunk Driver.

wigsite 06-11-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 808451)
God forbid one attempt to catch a Drunk Driver.

I think the thread is titled "Ask a Police Officer" , not "give unsolicited opinions" There were NO drunk drivers involved in my question. I see a hundred cars a day do the same thing my friend did. The officer was performing what is called a Pre-emptive stop. That would be stopping a car for a minor infraction because he thinks every driver that pulls out of there is drunk. They are not. I was asking about the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Thanks for your post.

acreature 06-11-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wigsite (Post 808495)
I think the thread is titled "Ask a Police Officer" , not "give unsolicited opinions" There were NO drunk drivers involved in my question. I see a hundred cars a day do the same thing my friend did. The officer was performing what is called a Pre-emptive stop. That would be stopping a car for a minor infraction because he thinks every driver that pulls out of there is drunk. They are not. I was asking about the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Thanks for your post.

It's actually a Pretextual vehicle stop :butt: