2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask A Police Officer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45012)

Quixotis 03-09-2006 11:50 PM

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:

Originally Posted by streakn
This one, LOL ...seated 2nd from the right. The far left girl is a dispatcher, she photoshopped herself in the pic.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...m4withlogo.jpg

:LAUGH: the dispatcher chick remindes me of the old PBS Electric Company Show - which one of these objects doesn't belong w/the others?

BurlyStang 03-12-2006 09:43 PM

When you guys run radar; i.e., motorcycle police painting laser, or highway patrol flashing KA; what MPH OVER the posted speed limit do you consider the worthy MINIMUM to pull someone over?

Please respond concerning:
(1) in the city on a public street
(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

Thank you in advance for your replies. Cool thread BTW :secret:

2k4mach 03-12-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurlyStang
When you guys run radar; i.e., motorcycle police painting laser, or highway patrol flashing KA; what MPH OVER the posted speed limit do you consider the worthy MINIMUM to pull someone over?

(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

dang nice question, im interested in the reply to this 1

IMachU 03-12-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurlyStang

(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

Ok, Burly and 2K....(2K, you owe me an email for this - LOL!)....

Most officers who write traffic for a living will probably go 6 MPH over the speed limit (Highway Patrol for example). As a rule here in So Cal, we have a saying - Most self-respecting coppers will not write anything under 12 mph over the limit. Just a guideline for us local coppers who are not traffic cars or motor officers.

And for those that will follow up with the next (usual) question: No, there is no quota. We can write as many as we want! :D Last cite I wrote was to a guy in an Audi TT who passed me on the freeway (210 at Roxford for you So Cal guys). I was doing 75 in the black and white....he was doing 93 ( I gave him 5 MPH on the cite and only wrote him for 88 MPH.). The only reason I cited him was this: When I asked his passenger why he passed me so fast, the passenger threw the driver under the bus: He said the driver told him that since I was County and not CHP he could pass me at 110 MPH and there is nothing I could do.

We have another saying in Law Enforcement: We only catch the dumb ones.

BIG4CAM 03-13-2006 01:53 AM

Question: How come when I was younger, and didn't have much money, it seemed like the type of vehicles I drove were more likely to be pulled over than the newer ones I drive now, including my MACH. The cars were never loud or anything, I was never a poor driver, they were just beat up old vehicles. It should be mentioned though that I never recieved a speeding ticket in them, just some misc. warnings for 5 overs, failure to use turn signals, and they always asked about guns, knives, and drugs, which is understandable. Just thought maybe the type of car makes you a suspect?

2k4mach 03-13-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG4CAM
Question: How come when I was younger, and didn't have much money, it seemed like the type of vehicles I drove were more likely to be pulled over than the newer ones I drive now, including my MACH. The cars were never loud or anything, I was never a poor driver, they were just beat up old vehicles. It should be mentioned though that I never recieved a speeding ticket in them, just some misc. warnings for 5 overs, failure to use turn signals, and they always asked about guns, knives, and drugs, which is understandable. Just thought maybe the type of car makes you a suspect?

ya know its funny you mention this, i can cruise the mach and not have a single cop really take notice, i take my 93 out and bam every cop i go by will whip a u turn and follow me for a while.

Berzerk 03-13-2006 02:01 AM

I can't go anywhere in my '71 with out the Boys in Blue following me for a while.

2k4mach 03-13-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU

Most officers who write traffic for a living will probably go 6 MPH over the speed limit (Highway Patrol for example). As a rule here in So Cal, we have a saying - Most self-respecting coppers will not write anything under 12 mph over the limit. Just a guideline for us local coppers who are not traffic cars or motor officers.

And for those that will follow up with the next (usual) question: No, there is no quota. We can write as many as we want! :D Last cite I wrote was to a guy in an Audi TT who passed me on the freeway (210 at Roxford for you So Cal guys). I was doing 75 in the black and white....he was doing 93 ( I gave him 5 MPH on the cite and only wrote him for 88 MPH.). The only reason I cited him was this: When I asked his passenger why he passed me so fast, the passenger threw the driver under the bus: He said the driver told him that since I was County and not CHP he could pass me at 110 MPH and there is nothing I could do.

shoot me a PM with an email addy and ill hook u up :D

MvCrash 03-13-2006 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU

I have to agree and add one thing: I think alot depends on the flow of traffic. We have 25 mph zones that the traffic moves at 35 towards the busiest bridge in the world, 40 won't get you stopped unless your driving like an idiot. Between the hours of 8AM and 830AM and 230pm and 3pm when the kids are walking to/from school, on that same road, 30 will get you stopped. Those roads are heavily patrolled at those hours also by traffic guys. :wings:
Around here, since we have lots of traffic )400,000 vehicles a day go over the GWB) it is very situational. Common sense would have alot to do with this. Drive carefully!!

kevsrcode 03-13-2006 11:02 AM

I agree with the above posts. Personally, I usually give 12 in the city, unless it's a school zone and 15 on the freeway before I even think about pulling someone over. I don't think I've ever stopped anyone for under 10.

kopacko 03-13-2006 01:07 PM

I am 15 over as well, except school and residentials.

Mustanger2 03-13-2006 07:12 PM

I was told in Oregon that 5-7 over no problem 10 over would get you busted and 11 over the posted was violating the basic speed rule.. much heavier fine.

kopacko 03-13-2006 08:42 PM

FYI, 1mph over is probably cause to stop you.

Mustanger2 03-13-2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopacko
FYI, 1mph over is probably cause to stop you.

Yeah I know that is true.. but we are not talking about the exact definition of the law here... just about the leeway in the real world. It would take a real idiot doing something bad to get pulled over for 1mph over... or an officer with a problem in my opinion. I guess it could be an excuse to look the car & driver over for more serious violations, thats ok by me.

Mustanger2 03-13-2006 10:48 PM

New question for our officers... Is a folding Buck knife on your belt considered a concealed weapon? How about if your jacket covered it?

I bought a Buck knife holster recently that holds the knife horizontaly with the blade hooked around a peg so that if you pull it out it will be opened & locked. Sort of a quick draw quick opening deal for Buck knives. I was told it is completely legal but don't feel comfortable wearing it as it might give you officers a real problem. I want to always be law abiding and I am not sure on this issue.

What are your opinions and what does the law in your area say about this? What would you do if you patted me down & found this on me? Thanks.

streakn 03-14-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopacko
I am 15 over as well, except school and residentials.

Same here. I hate dealing with traffic stuff.

MvCrash 03-14-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustanger2
New question for our officers... Is a folding Buck knife on your belt considered a concealed weapon? How about if your jacket covered it?

I bought a Buck knife holster recently that holds the knife horizontaly with the blade hooked around a peg so that if you pull it out it will be opened & locked. Sort of a quick draw quick opening deal for Buck knives. I was told it is completely legal but don't feel comfortable wearing it as it might give you officers a real problem. I want to always be law abiding and I am not sure on this issue.

What are your opinions and what does the law in your area say about this? What would you do if you patted me down & found this on me? Thanks.

In NJ, as long as you have a reason to have it ie: your employment, it is ok. Other wise, nope, cannot carry it around as it is weapon. Oh, just in case somone throws in the 3-4 finger rule, thats horse crap also.
I charged a guy with Robbery once because he had a one inch pen knife in his pocket while he was shoplifting. In NJ, theft plus force or fear is Robbery, and the pen knife was force. Ofcourse he was one of our habitual offenders and we wanted to give him a longer stay at one of our private facilities.

kevsrcode 03-14-2006 10:37 AM

In Texas, it is legal as long as the blade is shorter than 5 and 1/2 inches. As far as patting you down, before I do a pat down, I always ask the person if they have anything on them that will hurt them or me, like guns, knifes needles, etc. All you'd have to do at that point is tell me, "Officer, I've got a knife in a pouch on my belt." I'd take the knife from you until we were finished with whatever it was I was stopping/patting you down for. Once we were done with the business, I'd give the knife back to you...

Mustanger2 03-14-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevsrcode
In Texas, it is legal as long as the blade is shorter than 5 and 1/2 inches. As far as patting you down, before I do a pat down, I always ask the person if they have anything on them that will hurt them or me, like guns, knifes needles, etc. All you'd have to do at that point is tell me, "Officer, I've got a knife in a pouch on my belt." I'd take the knife from you until we were finished with whatever it was I was stopping/patting you down for. Once we were done with the business, I'd give the knife back to you...

Thanks for the good replys officers! NJ, I think it is a bit different in some places out West hopefully. We still have to fight Indians & bears etc. LOL...I'm not sure about Calif. either as it is always a special case.

Anyone from Oregon? I realy do appreciate the answers ...you guys & gals are great.

01TruBluGT 03-14-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MvCrash
In NJ, as long as you have a reason to have it ie: your employment, it is ok. Other wise, nope, cannot carry it around as it is weapon.

So what employment would justify carrying a knife? Also if someone was stopped and said he was employed in such a field that required or better yet allowed for carrying a knife how would the officer check it out?

I work in construction. I started in the field and moved my way into the office but I still carry a knife every day as it has become habit. Here there are no problems with it. Once I alsmot walked into court with it, the metal detector cought it and they held it at the security desk for me until I was on my way out.

I am asking as I do go out of town sometimes and wouldn't want to let my habit get me in trouble in another state.

MvCrash 03-14-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
So what employment would justify carrying a knife? Also if someone was stopped and said he was employed in such a field that required or better yet allowed for carrying a knife how would the officer check it out?

I work in construction. I started in the field and moved my way into the office but I still carry a knife every day as it has become habit. Here there are no problems with it. Once I alsmot walked into court with it, the metal detector cought it and they held it at the security desk for me until I was on my way out.

I am asking as I do go out of town sometimes and wouldn't want to let my habit get me in trouble in another state.

Your work would allow you to carry the knife. good common sense would rule here as always. If you go ou of town, I would leave it home and avoid any pitfalls.

As fas a checking out the truth to where you work, usually it is easy to tell the truth from horse crap. Besides, it is kinda dumb to bring a knife to a gun fight!!!

01TruBluGT 03-14-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MvCrash
Your work would allow you to carry the knife. good common sense would rule here as always. If you go ou of town, I would leave it home and avoid any pitfalls.

As fas a checking out the truth to where you work, usually it is easy to tell the truth from horse crap. Besides, it is kinda dumb to bring a knife to a gun fight!!!

Honestly not trying to be a prick just trying to figure out how things work in different areas.

So if my work allows me to carry a knife then the Police will be ok with me carrying one. If my work dosen't allow it then I could be put in jail for it.

Seems like one of thoes BS laws that aren't enforced unless you have nothing else to get someone on. In other words your average Joe could be toting a knife and noone cares, but if you decide to stop a suspicious looking person and can't really do anything to them, but the unlucky *** has a pocket knife then you can get him on that.

If as you say a knife is illegal to carry in NJ then it should be the same as being allowed to carry a handgun in the fact that you should have to have a liscense to carry it.

As for bringing a knife to a gunfight....well lets just say that in hand to hand combat situations, or when you and the threat are within arms reach of each other a knife is just as, if not more deadly than a gun. Just a thought for you to take on patrol with you, just because you have a gun does not gaurentee you to go home alive.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." - Sun Tzu

Translation: If you know both what you and your enemy are capable of then your chances of winning are great, if you know only your own capabilities and not what your enemy is capable of the chance for defeat is great.

MvCrash 03-14-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Honestly not trying to be a prick just trying to figure out how things work in different areas.

So if my work allows me to carry a knife then the Police will be ok with me carrying one. If my work dosen't allow it then I could be put in jail for it.

Seems like one of thoes BS laws that aren't enforced unless you have nothing else to get someone on. In other words your average Joe could be toting a knife and noone cares, but if you decide to stop a suspicious looking person and can't really do anything to them, but the unlucky *** has a pocket knife then you can get him on that.

If as you say a knife is illegal to carry in NJ then it should be the same as being allowed to carry a handgun in the fact that you should have to have a liscense to carry it.

As for bringing a knife to a gunfight....well lets just say that in hand to hand combat situations, or when you and the threat are within arms reach of each other a knife is just as, if not more deadly than a gun. Just a thought for you to take on patrol with you, just because you have a gun does not gaurentee you to go home alive.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." - Sun Tzu

Translation: If you know both what you and your enemy are capable of then your chances of winning are great, if you know only your own capabilities and not what your enemy is capable of the chance for defeat is great.

I understand your thoughts, however I don't write the law. Most times when we came across a "wise guy" with a knife, we just confiscated the thing, not always arresting. The knife was inventoried and put into evidence.
More than likely, if you got arrested, and had a knife on you at the time of your arrest, then you were charged with Poss. of a weapon.

once again, common sense rules. NJ/NY have very strict weapon laws.

kevsrcode 03-14-2006 09:29 PM

In Texas, it's legal for anyone to carry a knife that is not considered "illegal." If it's under 5 and 1/2 inches, isn't a double sided, switch blade, etc. doesn't matter what you do for a living.

As far as knifes in hand to hand combat, we have the 21' rule. If the guy has a knife and is within 21' of you, he can get to you before you can shoot him. So that increases our awareness.

It's still a bad idea to bring a knife to a gunfight though...

kopacko 03-15-2006 08:22 AM

Didn't they lower the the 21' foot rule to like 18' or 19'?

My Lt, was saying something about it the other day.