2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Took the water catcher off the shaker (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132099)

626socalstang 09-05-2014 07:35 PM

Took the water catcher off the shaker

I figured since I don't drive the Mach in the rain and I'm sick and tired of seeing the rub underneath the hood that I would take the water catch off and I think it looks better without it, even though no one really sees or notices it anyways...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._/photo2-4.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._/photo1-5.jpg

mach1metalhead 09-05-2014 08:39 PM

I'm kinda confused, what does that grommet really even matter, even of you do drive daily?

626socalstang 09-05-2014 11:45 PM

Re: Took the water catcher off the shaker

No it's not a daily, are you confused of why I took it off, or the purpose of it?

JeromeMach1 09-05-2014 11:49 PM

It catches the water like a gutter and directs it to the tube that dumps the water to the ground. Without it the rain water will get into the engine bay.

Jerome

626socalstang 09-06-2014 04:44 AM

Yeah I know, I don't drive the mustang when it rains. I have a daily for that. I took those tubes off over a year ago.

mach1metalhead 09-06-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeromeMach1 (Post 1588027)
It catches the water like a gutter and directs it to the tube that dumps the water to the ground. Without it the rain water will get into the engine bay.

Jerome

Got it. Ok. Will have to wait til I have a daily then to remove it.

RealFord89 09-06-2014 03:42 PM

I daily drive mine, the "water catcher" doesn't do much driving in anything more than a drizzle around town. the water builds up on the seal because the hose can only drain so much. After the car has been parked or sitting at a light all the water splashes to the rear upon acceleration, goes in the engine bay, and turns into steam when it hits the motor. It scared the crap outta me the first few times.

MACH1RAMAIR 09-11-2014 05:11 PM

My Mach is 10 years old soon to be 11 and has never been in the rain or on a wet road. I have aftermarket caps over where my wiper blades go and I keep a wiper in my trunk plus I use Rain X on the windshield.

32VALVR 09-11-2014 05:32 PM

Hey Garrison, how about a pic with the hood closed.

TKat13 09-11-2014 05:34 PM

I tried removing that rubber 'catcher' from my shaker for the reason of exhausting under hood heat from the turbo, but while driving it all the new rattling, clunks that came from the shaker was unbearable so I put it back on.

WalkrTexasRngr 09-11-2014 07:33 PM

I think it looks better on the shaker. Just my opinion. With it off the shaker looks smaller.

Mustanger2 09-11-2014 08:30 PM

Don't you guys wash your cars with water? Or are you using the waterless stuff they have now? I find the drain useful on ours...

Lonestar77777 09-11-2014 11:35 PM

Good idea till you get caught in rain. The grommets under the shaker are to keep the noise down. Mine wore out so I bought new grommets from Ford.

LS:claus:

j rick kirby 09-12-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1RAMAIR (Post 1588361)
My Mach is 10 years old soon to be 11 and has never been in the rain or on a wet road. I have aftermarket caps over where my wiper blades go and I keep a wiper in my trunk plus I use Rain X on the windshield.

Never been in the rain since you've had it. I wonder how long it sat in a fenced parking lot in Dearborn before being shipped.

96gt02 09-12-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkrTexasRngr (Post 1588369)
I think it looks better on the shaker. Just my opinion. With it off the shaker looks smaller.

:orange:

Vndcatr 09-13-2014 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1588393)
never been in the rain since you've had it. I wonder how long it sat in a fenced parking lot in dearborn before being shipped.

:31:

rcodemach1 10-06-2014 12:54 AM

That's still pretty good IMO. mine is same way, 17k on it and only once been caught in the rain. I can still count the number of times it's sat out a night on road trips...maybe 4-5 times.

Back to the point, I had the rubber seal off for the last couple of years. Looks good and I think it lets heat out in certain conditions. Put it back on recently tho.

MACH1RAMAIR 10-06-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j rick kirby (Post 1588393)
Never been in the rain since you've had it. I wonder how long it sat in a fenced parking lot in Dearborn before being shipped.

I ordered my Mach from the factory it was built on 10/6 I took delivery on 10/15 it may have sat a couple of days. More important to me it was never driven on a wet road. I installed louder mufflers on it this year when I had it on the life the mechanic asked if I waxed the under carriage which I don't.

rcodemach1 10-07-2014 12:01 AM

On mine the sealant applied to some of the seams underneath wasn't quite on target. Not real bad or anything but maybe it was a Friday car. So it's good not to drive it on wet roads, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1RAMAIR (Post 1589783)
I ordered my Mach from the factory it was built on 10/6 I took delivery on 10/15 it may have sat a couple of days. More important to me it was never driven on a wet road. I installed louder mufflers on it this year when I had it on the life the mechanic asked if I waxed the under carriage which I don't.

626socalstang 10-07-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 32VALVR (Post 1588362)
Hey Garrison, how about a pic with the hood closed.

Here you go man, maybe to see you this thursday....
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._/photo2-5.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._/photo1-6.jpg

ab_mach1 10-08-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealFord89 (Post 1588061)
I daily drive mine, the "water catcher" doesn't do much driving in anything more than a drizzle around town. the water builds up on the seal because the hose can only drain so much. After the car has been parked or sitting at a light all the water splashes to the rear upon acceleration, goes in the engine bay, and turns into steam when it hits the motor. It scared the crap outta me the first few times.

Sounds like you need to adjust the height a little to get the gutter up against the under side of the hood better. It should touch the hood a little, or at least really close. My shaker grommets were shot so I bought some new ones a few months back. It got rid of the noise and leveled the shaker better too. I think that helped my gutter seal better.

gvervoren 10-10-2014 07:39 PM

Not a big fan of the looks of it with it off. It looks too naked for my taste. Its your car so as long as you like it that way, that is all that matters.

32VALVR 10-10-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 626socalstang (Post 1589909)
Here you go man, maybe to see you this thursday....
[

Been way too hot to run anywhere lately. Next Thur. is looking promising though. I definitely want to see catch less shaker in person.