2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39894)

Mach1 Of A Kind 08-06-2009 11:19 PM

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

I drained the oil no peace's but the oil had a bit of silver colour to it. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 syn atf and added the lucas transmission fix. The trans is smother and quieter and seems to shift better but still grinds going into 3rd only and only if I shift fast over 3000 rpm's. Hopefully its not the 3rd gear syncro that's gone and the new clutch quadrant fixes the problem. Do you think its the syncro or the quadrant?

Any answer at all would be nice at this point.

01cobradude 08-06-2009 11:51 PM

If it is not the release fork & pivot ball being bent & or worn & clutch fins being worn, I would say a firewall adj & billet quadrant is in order. If it still does not fix it, it means the sncros have already been damaged & the tranny needs rebuilt. I know how frustrating this can be but, that is what I did in that order to emiminate the problem. My guess is the damage has already been done & the tranny needs rebuild based on the condition of the fluid you drained.

Mach1 Of A Kind 08-07-2009 12:38 AM

That's what I'm wondering but you had to move the oil with your finger and have a light on it to see the silver. It was there but I thaught not any more then useual wear. But like you say I will try the quadrent 1st. Thanks for the reply.

Mach1 Of A Kind 08-07-2009 12:43 AM

01cobradude did you have to rebuild your trans or did the quadrent fix your problem?

ASH302 08-14-2009 04:45 PM

i hope this fixes my problem i'm having

ASH302 08-22-2009 11:38 PM

This was one of the best mods i got. i got the UPR one, my mach shifts like butter. even after the car is hot shifts amazing. love it. the only downside is it is alittle stiffer to push in. but for what it does it makes up for it.

Mach1 Of A Kind 08-25-2009 01:10 AM

Well I talked to the best Mustang shop around here and he said the quadrant would help but in my case its probably to late. I pulled the trans and took it to him. He took it apart and the thing is shot. He said someone must have been power shifting this thing alot. Well I figured as much. He's going to build it up for me. I will keep you posted.

japan4racing 08-25-2009 01:24 AM

i plan on gettin an adjuster some time soon....so far best thing i ever did for my trans was buy a mgw orange handle. now im off to search for trans fluid she has 56k on her now...the time has definately come!

Rick911 08-26-2009 03:38 PM

Just ordered my set from lethal. Was at the track yesterday and I missed 3rd 3 times. It just didn't want to go in above 6000rpms. It did that to me a couple years back when I went to the track more often and I had seen this post but haddent ordered em. we'll see how it goes after.

Mach1 Of A Kind 09-23-2009 11:14 PM

Trans is rebuilt and installed. Fiore firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant installed as well. All I can say is wow does this thing shift like butter now. Trany has all the good stuff in it now and the builder said it will handle anything I throw at it.

ASH302 03-23-2010 01:31 PM

i stand corrected bout mine, it shifts way better but when its cold **** does the leg get tired, its so **** stiff. so i'm going to try a different set up

Steeda double hook quad, and FW adj
Stock cable.

Mach! Schnell! 03-24-2010 03:04 AM

I see the subject of tranny fluids has been beat to death and I don't expect fluids to be miracle cures, but I figure it's worth posting Tremec's latest recommendations for the newcomers (like me).

1. Tremec does not recommend GM sychromesh in the 3650.
2. Tremec says they have evaluated RP and quote "do not use RP Synchromax in the 3650" . "It has more additives than ATF and those additives will eat the blocker rings". It may shift better for awhile, but it will hurt in the long run.
3. What do they recommend? Mobil 1 synth ATF.

I'm draining the Synchromax that I just paid $60 for and putting in Mobil 1 + Lucas this weekend.

toad 03-24-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach! Schnell! (Post 1260455)
I see the subject of tranny fluids has been beat to death and I don't expect fluids to be miracle cures, but I figure it's worth posting Tremec's latest recommendations for the newcomers (like me).

1. Tremec does not recommend GM sychromesh in the 3650.
2. Tremec says they have evaluated RP and quote "do not use RP Synchromax in the 3650" . "It has more additives than ATF and those additives will eat the blocker rings". It may shift better for awhile, but it will hurt in the long run.
3. What do they recommend? Mobil 1 synth ATF.

I'm draining the Synchromax that I just paid $60 for and putting in Mobil 1 + Lucas this weekend.

I have had RP synchromesh in for about 70,000 miles. I guess my tranny is crap now. Still works good though.

Maybe it is time to change it.

FastHorse 04-26-2010 08:21 PM

It's been 3 weeks that I got my Mach 1 and since then, I think the tranny is about to die because of missed shifts when high revving and no synch at all in reverse. Then I found that thread and decided to order those Fiore parts. I can't wait to receive them. I hope the tranny is not so damaged...

FastHorse 06-17-2010 01:24 PM

I installed the kit and WOW! What a difference! It now shifts nearly as well as any other car I owned before. It definitely worth the 100 $.

Thanks for the info.

USACUBS 06-17-2010 02:35 PM

I hadn't seen this thread, but called Scott Hoag at MRT and explained to him the problems that I was having, which were EXACTLY the same as the ones described in the first post! Scotts answer: I ordered a clutch cable and billet quadrant from him, had it installed and AMAZING difference! I had it done about 2 months ago and have only been to the track once since, but it really seems to make a difference for me. Now, I DO have to get used to a whole new pedal feel, but things were MUCH more consistant and I'm sure with a little more seat time ET's will improve even more. My AVERAGE et did go down about .1 and I have done NO OTHER MODS except this one.

Tric306 10-22-2010 10:43 AM

Ok were can I get this fiore kit I'n Toronto Canada?

TheWaterSkier 03-06-2011 06:01 PM

For those who have installed the fiore adjuster...

I scoped out the job today after recieving the kit from LethalPerformance (Fiore adjuster and Steeda Quadrant). The Steeda piece comes with a sleeve for one side and a nylon washer for the other to position the quadrant correcty which is great. Looking under the dash, the two clips that need to be removed have been inserted from above (I'm sure the whole set of pedals was pre-assembled and then installed in the car). Getting them out looks to be a job for angled needle nose?

Inside the engine bay, I can't see how you could get a drill lined up to make the larger holes. I didn't remove the PCV as I was just scoping out the job, but visually, I can't see getting a drill in there straight. I did remove the driver's seat which was pretty easy. As for the comment about the studs and covering them, you can just thread another nut on the stud along with the one that came off and tighten them together and then remove the whole stud. No more back gouging.

Can someone explain the procedure (and tools) they used before I commit to the job please? I don't want to get half way through and realize I don't have the correct tool(s) to complete the job.

JDraper 03-06-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWaterSkier (Post 1371039)
For those who have installed the fiore adjuster...

I scoped out the job today after recieving the kit from LethalPerformance (Fiore adjuster and Steeda Quadrant). The Steeda piece comes with a sleeve for one side and a nylon washer for the other to position the quadrant correcty which is great. Looking under the dash, the two clips that need to be removed have been inserted from above (I'm sure the whole set of pedals was pre-assembled and then installed in the car). Getting them out looks to be a job for angled needle nose?

Inside the engine bay, I can't see how you could get a drill lined up to make the larger holes. I didn't remove the PCV as I was just scoping out the job, but visually, I can't see getting a drill in there straight. I did remove the driver's seat which was pretty easy. As for the comment about the studs and covering them, you can just thread another nut on the stud along with the one that came off and tighten them together and then remove the whole stud. No more back gouging.

Can someone explain the procedure (and tools) they used before I commit to the job please? I don't want to get half way through and realize I don't have the correct tool(s) to complete the job.

90° Pneumatic drill worked for me.

TheWaterSkier 03-07-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDraper (Post 1371040)
90° Pneumatic drill worked for me.

Thanks. I don't have air tools, so I ordered a 90 degree attachment for my drill and some long reach angled needle nose (still cheaper than having someone do the job for me). Handy tools I can use elsewhere anyway :)

BTW, did you use the two factory holes only, or did you drill and use all 4?

JDraper 03-07-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWaterSkier (Post 1371244)
Thanks. I don't have air tools, so I ordered a 90 degree attachment for my drill and some long reach angled needle nose (still cheaper than having someone do the job for me). Handy tools I can use elsewhere anyway :)

BTW, did you use the two factory holes only, or did you drill and use all 4?

I used all four.

TheWaterSkier 03-18-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDraper (Post 1371316)
I used all four.

Ok, armed with two 11" angle needle nose and a right angle drill attachment I got from Harbor Freight, I installed my Fiore firewall adjuster and Steeda quadrant (kit from LeathalPerformance.com).

Removed the seat first and backed the studs out so I had a smooth surface to lay on.

After trying to release the cable from the existing quadrant for a few minutes and realizing you need two hands in there to do it, I jacked the car up on jack stands and released the cable from the transmission end. I was then able to just pull the cable off the stock quadrant with one hand.

I think your right angle air drill has a smaller profile as I was only able to get to three holes, but I'm happy with that. After removing the PVC connection and zip tying the throttle cable out of the way, I drilled the three holes with the supplied drill and since I have a tap set, I tapped the three holes instead of using the screws to make the threads. This made things easier. I then started the firewall piece with the three screws but left them halfway out so I could screw the adjuster into it without hitting the valve cover. Once clear of the cover, I used a flexible screw driver shaft to tighten the three screws.

I broke the large plastic piece off the end of the clutch cable and then used side cutters to cut the remaining piece off so I could install the sleeve that came with the new adjuster. I then just let this assembly hang while I went after the quadrant replacement.

Quadrant removal. Remove the trim panel under the steering column, it gives you a bit more working room. There is not much room to work in there, so I was glad I ordered two 11" needle nose, one with a slight angle, one with about a 15 degree angle. I was able to pull the clips off with these (both clips were installed at the factory from the top down, so you have to grasp the clip and push it up away from you to get it out. The quadrant and spring came right off, but the pawl was a bit more problematic. I managed to get the spring off the clutch pedal and then finally off the end of the shaft (opposite end that the pawl finally slips off of).

Installing the Steeda piece was pretty easy. A thick bushing is supplied which positions the quadrant in line with the incoming cable, so you put the bushing on, then the quadrant, then a large nylon washer, then the clip. Getting the clips on from the bottom was easier then removing them though it still took some patience and effort to get it done.

I then put the cable back through the firewall and screwed the adjuster all the way in. Under the dash again, I easily hooked the cable on the new quadrant. Back under the car, I hooked the cable back up and re-installed the dust cover. In the engine compartment, I screwed the adjuster out a couple of turns pulling on the cable until I had just a small bit of play.

Cleaned up and took a drive. WOW! Before, I never seemed to be able to shift into third above about 6000 rpm, now it goes in every time. I'm VERY satisfied.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread and especially to JDraper for the links to MMs stuff as those directions and photos helped a lot.

JDraper 03-18-2011 05:58 PM

Glad you like it. I'm quite happy with how my setup works.

As for the drill, I used a 90° Campbell Hausfield air drill, which has a much lower profile than most 90° adapters.