2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31091)

99GTCONV 03-04-2005 11:48 PM

Important Information About Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Hey I just wanted to let you all know I called Mobil 1 today and spoke to them about the difference in 0w-20 and 5w-20 Mobil 1 synthetic oil since 0w-20 says on the bottle it is recommended for ford vehicles that would otherwise use 5w-20

Well, they told me that 5w-20 IS NOT just 0w-20 packaged in a different bottle as many have stated on this forum. Actually 0w-20 is being discontinued because many consumers were having trouble at the dealerships for not using 5w-20. He told me that 5w-20 would replace 0w-20 and it is actually a little bit thicker viscosity at start up than 0w-20, but would supply all the same benefits gains from 0w-20. He said those individuals using 0w-20 could change to the new 5w-20 without any difficulties.

I think this is some important information for fellow mach 1 owners that are currently using either 0w-20 or 5w-20, so i just thought i'd pass the word along.

MA-MACH1 03-05-2005 12:30 AM

Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Thanks - I'll get mine changed to the 5W-20 at the next service (will be before weather gets warm, so I doubt if the lower viscosity is an issue right now).

DanK 03-05-2005 03:46 AM

Why the hell they droppin my 0w-20? That's a bs reason.

mach1fan35 03-05-2005 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanK
Why the hell they droppin my 0w-20? That's a bs reason.

I agree. The 0w20 meets or exceeds the Ford spec. Seems fishy. But I dont doubt 99GTCONV. I was wondering why the cases of 0w20 were so cheap at Wally world.

mach1fan35 03-05-2005 04:25 AM

I just checked Mobil1's website and there is no sign of 0w20 anymore.

04VAMach1 03-05-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1fan35
I agree. The 0w20 meets or exceeds the Ford spec. Seems fishy. But I dont doubt 99GTCONV. I was wondering why the cases of 0w20 were so cheap at Wally world.

It meets or exceeds specs, but the language used by Ford states that all of their newer gas motors should run 5w20 or risk voiding the warranty. I personally think that it could be challenged, but I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of finding out.

machths 03-05-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04VAMach1
It meets or exceeds specs, but the language used by Ford states that all of their newer gas motors should run 5w20 or risk voiding the warranty. I personally think that it could be challenged, but I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of finding out.

I agree, it's just not worth it. I'll be changing mine back next go around. Thanks for the info! :yeh:

03greymach1 03-05-2005 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

I have done 2 oil changes on my mach since I got it and I have never poured such a thin oil in a performance motor.

The last one I did i switched back to 5w20 dino oil from ford.

What about 5w30 ??? anybody using it?

DanK 03-06-2005 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03greymach1
Thanks for the info!!!

I have done 2 oil changes on my mach since I got it and I have never poured such a thin oil in a performance motor.

The last one I did i switched back to 5w20 dino oil from ford.

What about 5w30 ??? anybody using it?

I wouldn't use the 5w30. The reason Ford says 5w20 is to get oil to the cam journals quickly, also the thinner weight oil will delay lifter pump up (i.e. valve float as a result). I doubt anyone will reach the rpm it takes to bring on float with 5w30 though. I think around 7000rpms. Just use what Ford recommends to be safe. Btw, no problems using 0w20 here. Same protection on these close tolerance engines. It's not like the old days. Besides, on startup, I want oil to get to every part of engine as quickly as possible to prevent wear, which in turn, will increase tolerances.

bris09 03-06-2005 12:17 PM

Leave it to Ford. I'm starting to think they pay people just to find ways to void the warranties. What's next? If it isn't Ford's oil and they didn't change it the warranty is void? I've always run a better grade of oil and changed it more frequently than what the manufacturer calls for. I want the added protection.

gfong 03-06-2005 03:43 PM

I'd say it is "also" has a lot to do with marketing and brand recognition.
Sales down Mobil?? Just think people go in ask for 5w20 Mobil, "Well miss/sir Mobil does not make a 5w20 they make a 0w........ That is all most people have to hear to go purchase some other brand. 0w what! does not even make sense. :notsure: I am sure in olil terms it does but not to joe public.

Like this post mentions, I am not disputing that it is a rebranded oil, but I am sure that marketing had lots of influence.

mach1fan35 03-07-2005 12:14 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't use the 5w30. The reason Ford says 5w20 is to get oil to the cam journals quickly, also the thinner weight oil will delay lifter pump up (i.e. valve float as a result). I doubt anyone will reach the rpm it takes to bring on float with 5w30 though. I think around 7000rpms. Just use what Ford recommends to be safe. Btw, no problems using 0w20 here. Same protection on these close tolerance engines. It's not like the old days. Besides, on startup, I want oil to get to every part of engine as quickly as possible to prevent wear, which in turn, will increase tolerances.

I completely agree with you DanK. But what now? how many cases of 0w20 do you have stashed? I only have 2 left. :yeh:

DanK 03-07-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1fan35
I completely agree with you DanK. But what now? how many cases of 0w20 do you have stashed? I only have 2 left. :yeh:

UNFORTUNATELY, none. I guess I need to run down to Advance auto parts to pick some up, if they still have it. Not even Wal Mart has it here, never did. The 0w20 was already difficult to find for me.

machths 03-07-2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

UNFORTUNATELY, none. I guess I need to run down to Advance auto parts to pick some up, if they still have it. Not even Wal Mart has it here, never did. The 0w20 was already difficult to find for me.

I bought mine from Pep Boys. They offered me a Pep Boys Calender for $1.00, I said no thanks. Then she pointed out that they have a coupon in the calender for Mobile 1 oil so I bought the calender. Ended up getting a case (6 bottles) for only $16, normally $31! I couldn't complain.

whitegt46 03-14-2005 09:41 AM

anyone who uses 5w-20 is asking for engine trouble. 5w-30 is the way to go

99GTCONV 03-14-2005 10:17 AM

that's an obvious misinformed statement since you don't own a MACH 1 because the recommended oil weight by Ford for our cars is 5w-20 not 5w-30. By going to 5w-30 why it may not hurt the engine, it will lessen performance and fuel economy and risk voiding Ford factory warranty from some dealers as it is not the recommended equipment.

DanK 03-14-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitegt46

Another reason Ford says to use 5w20 is so oil reaches the cam journals quickly. The tolerances are tight on those journals. Do what you want though.

orangemachracer 03-15-2005 06:15 PM

someone let me know something when i brought my car to ford they told me flat out that running a full synthetic in the mach is not a good idea is this true or was he bs me.so i have fords oil in it as of now which i beleive is partially synthetic.should i change it to full or not

bris09 03-15-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangemachracer
someone let me know something when i brought my car to ford they told me flat out that running a full synthetic in the mach is not a good idea is this true or was he bs me.so i have fords oil in it as of now which i beleive is partially synthetic.should i change it to full or not

They were somewhat right. Until the engine is broken in, you don't want to use a full synthetic. It will prevent the engine for breaking in properly, it won't let it wear. By your second oil change you should be broke in and ready for full synthetic. Some even recommend not changing over till 10,000 miles.

surfnet 03-15-2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

:surprise: :concerned

MvCrash 03-15-2005 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09
They were somewhat right. Until the engine is broken in, you don't want to use a full synthetic. It will prevent the engine for breaking in properly, it won't let it wear. By your second oil change you should be broke in and ready for full synthetic. Some even recommend not changing over till 10,000 miles.

If the syn oils stop engine break in, why do high end cars come from the factory with syn oils ie: Mercedes, Ferrari, Corvettte, Viper ? Would'nt the syn oils stop them from breaking in also?

Just wondering....

mach1fan35 03-15-2005 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MvCrash
If the syn oils stop engine break in, why do high end cars come from the factory with syn oils ie: Mercedes, Ferrari, Corvettte, Viper ? Would'nt the syn oils stop them from breaking in also?

Just wondering....

The tolerances on those cars are super precise and dont need much "break in". Also, all manufacturers "break in" the engines during the preinstall run. Trust, me.....They drive it like they stole it before it ever gets put in the car. :yeh:

SGeorgiaMach 04-20-2005 01:19 PM

Ah...true on the vette's, vipers etc... the engines are "seated" at the factory, that is why they can run full synthetic. On the Ford oil....to save your butt in a warranty scuffle, it is better to use what they say...try going and buying a new engine on your nickle right now.... and these engines are very close tolerance, hence the 5W-20W synthetic blend...remember aluminum grows as it gets hot, and to use a higher viscosity oil is only going to hurt it. The guys and girls who design these high horsepower engines are no dummies, I am sure they destroyed quite a few during tests.

mustangmike2003 04-20-2005 10:47 PM

I left regular oil in for 4000 miles then switched over to the regular RP which is not fully synthetic from what ive been hearing, more like a blend

ttown 04-21-2005 01:37 PM

When I dynoed the Mach the owner of the shop with a WS6 told me that he usually sees the LS1 Fbodies putting out more RWHP than the full syn C5's. He claimed that the vette motor never gets a chance to seat properly. Who knows but I can say that it's slick compare to regular oils. I picked up 1mpg more when I use Moble 1.

mtsumedi 04-25-2005 10:07 PM

So, at 3,000 miles, I got a synthetic oil change. I have gotten it changed every 5,000 since then. So my question is, did I f-up by doing that. I have 12,500 miles right now.

mach1BOSS 04-25-2005 10:56 PM

On All My Cars I Always Use Syntheic Oil Without A Qproblem And I Do On Times Dont Change My Oil Until 4.000 Mies And Not 1 Problem

bris09 04-26-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtsumedi
So, at 3,000 miles, I got a synthetic oil change. I have gotten it changed every 5,000 since then. So my question is, did I f-up by doing that. I have 12,500 miles right now.

You should be fine.

Ralph Greene 10-20-2005 09:45 AM

5W20 and 5W30 should flow exactly the same on start up. Both 5W. The 5W30 will have more viscosity when hot than 5W20. So don't see how it matters which you use.

However, the first principal of lubrication is to always use the lightest lubricant that will do the job (not the heaviest), so if 5W20 is the correct viscosity for my use, then 5W20 is the way to go. Oils are vastly improved over the past ferw years, and I assume the newer low viscosity oils provide the necessary film strength (for normal use).

OrangeMach 01-05-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Besides, on startup, I want oil to get to every part of engine as quickly as possible to prevent wear, which in turn, will increase tolerances.

There are ways to accomplish this and it even outperforms 0W oil. Oil can be injected on the cam and bearing just as quick as you turn the key. If your interetsed I can get you a discount maybe even a group buy.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amk.aspx

E-MACH 01-26-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach1BOSS
On All My Cars I Always Use Syntheic Oil Without A Qproblem And I Do On Times Dont Change My Oil Until 4.000 Mies And Not 1 Problem

I use the Motorcraft 5W 20 because it HAS synthetic mixed in it, and it only costs $2.39 a quart at AutoZone. I figure if the motor blows up on their oil, I get a new engine. All the other brands out there gives Ford points to argue.

wickedz 02-03-2006 01:04 PM

I'm new to this and have lots to learn, but from what I hear you guys saying, full syntheitc 5w-20 it what I should be putting in my Mach. 15K miles on it now. Waiting for it to arrive from the auto carrier... what a long wait.... I'm planning on keeping it original and forever.... so I don't want to harm the baby. :-) Any advice is much appreciated.
Z

machths 02-03-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedz
I'm new to this and have lots to learn, but from what I hear you guys saying, full syntheitc 5w-20 it what I should be putting in my Mach. 15K miles on it now. Waiting for it to arrive from the auto carrier... what a long wait.... I'm planning on keeping it original and forever.... so I don't want to harm the baby. :-) Any advice is much appreciated.
Z

Stay away from Fram oil filters! Welcome to the Registry and enjoy your Mach 1! :gears:

E-MACH 02-03-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Z

I use Motorcraft 5w20 for a variety of reasons: It has synthetic in it, it gives Ford no wiggle room if the engine fails, it only costs $2.39 a quart. I believe timely oil changes are far better insurance for your motor than the high priced uber-oils. My 2¢. Have a great weekend.

04VAMach1 02-03-2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-MACH
I use Motorcraft 5w20 for a variety of reasons: It has synthetic in it, it gives Ford no wiggle room if the engine fails, it only costs $2.39 a quart. I believe timely oil changes are far better insurance for your motor than the high priced uber-oils. My 2¢. Have a great weekend.

Ford will have no wiggle room with any brand of oil provided that you use the correct weight...5w20.

A simple rule that I tell my friends is to decide how long they are going to keep the car and how you are going to use it. If you are going to put 150k + miles on the car then you should go ahead and use a good synthetic oil changed at normal intervals. Pure synthetics run cooler and provide better lubricating properties which result in more power and less wear. If you don't plan on keeping it that long, put regular oil in it and let the next guy worry about rebuilding the engine.

Mean04Mustang 02-04-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04VAMach1
If you don't plan on keeping it that long, put regular oil in it and let the next guy worry about rebuilding the engine.

Thats messed up. Passing the buck.

04VAMach1 02-04-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean04Mustang
Thats messed up. Passing the buck.

Why is it messed up? I'm not saying to skip oil changes, just being realistic. It does the original owner no good to use synthetic oil in a car they'll only have for a few years. The average person keeps a car for 7 years. In that amount of time, you won't realize the benefits of using synthetic oil (unless you're after max power). The only thing that synthetic oil does for the average person is empty their wallet. I do know a couple of people who buy new vehicles and never change their oil until they trade it in after 25k - 30k miles...I wouldn't recommend it, but it does happen.

wickedz 02-04-2006 07:27 PM

This may be a bit off topic, but what if you only put 2000 miles on it a year? Should you change the oil a couple times that year? maybe only once? I already checked out the fuel stabilizer thread, so I'm cool on that. But I won't be putting more than a couple thousand miles a year on it. What do you guys think? I'm just trying to figure out all the things I should do to keep the car in good mechanical order as I plan on keeping it at least 30 years....

03BumbleBee 02-05-2006 12:36 AM

I use Amsoil 5w-30, same wt. as 5w-20 at start up. Engine runs alot quieter on Amsoil than on Mobil 1, maybe just my imagination.

Mustanger2 02-05-2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Absolutey WRONG! More damage to our new type engines using 30W...!!!! Hope you like valve clatter when you start up for the first 5 minutes!

machths 02-06-2006 06:45 AM

Quote:

This may be a bit off topic, but what if you only put 2000 miles on it a year? Should you change the oil a couple times that year? maybe only once?

No. They say 3 months or 3,000 miles. The reason they say 3 months is because of moisture getting in the oil.

E-MACH 02-06-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustanger2
Absolutey WRONG! More damage to our new type engines using 30W...!!!! Hope you like valve clatter when you start up for the first 5 minutes!

I wonder about this one. What's the problem with using 5w30? At cold start-up they are both 5w spec for fast lubing, so what's the difference? I know the book calls for 5w20, but since the mod motors run so flippin hot, having 30w protection once it's hot seems to make a lot of sense to me. Motorcraft makes their specified semi synthetic in both multi-weights. Any input would be appreciated. Motor oil is still a dark science with so many authorities claiming cosmic wisdom.

E-MACH 02-06-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machths
No. They say 3 months or 3,000 miles. The reason they say 3 months is because of moisture getting in the oil.

What's the problem with Fram filters? Just curious, since I've used them on my 90 Probe GT turbo and never had a problem.

Bill Hamilton 02-06-2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

I wonder about this one. What's the problem with using 5w30? At cold start-up they are both 5w spec for fast lubing, so what's the difference? I know the book calls for 5w20, but since the mod motors run so flippin hot, having 30w protection once it's hot seems to make a lot of sense to me. Motorcraft makes their specified semi synthetic in both multi-weights. Any input would be appreciated. Motor oil is still a dark science with so many authorities claiming cosmic wisdom.

Today's motors like the DOHC 4.6 are built to much closer tolerances than engines in the past and 30W oil is too thick in many cases. When you get a couple hundred thousand miles on it and continue to use it as a daily driver and aren't concerned with performance as well as the engine has worn and loosened up consistently, then by all means use the heavier oil. :)

04VAMach1 02-06-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

What's the problem with Fram filters? Just curious, since I've used them on my 90 Probe GT turbo and never had a problem.

When you have them collapse on you and the engine loses oil pressure, you'll figure it out...I had one collapse in my 87 TBird a few years ago and my dad had 2 collapse on him 2 weeks ago on his loader. No problems after just changing brand of filter.

machths 02-06-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Less pleats means less area for trapping debris, which can create greater flow restrictions. Plus, FRAM is notorious for not using an anti-drain back design which means when you shut the vehicle off, the "dirty" unfiltered oil in the filter can drain back down into the oil pan, thus allowing "contaminated" oil to circulate in your engine. Somewhere on this website there is a thread that has a link to an "independent" study that someone did that breaks down several brands and models of oil filters and gives you the gouge on all of them. For example, the only difference between the Purolator Pure One filter and the standard Motorcraft filter is the price. They are the exact same filter, only one costs half as much. This study did say that FRAM makes one good filter, and I can't remember if it's the Double Guard, or Tough Guard, but one of those two were recommended. Interesting reading if you can find it. I used to use FRAM too, and I never had a problem with them, but the majority of the people that I've asked that are in the industry, whether it's auto repair, or parts sales, or racing, all seem to agree that FRAM is junk. Since this is my first "performance" car, I'm not taking any chances.

lilmachlady 02-06-2006 03:16 PM

Here ya go guys!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

lilmachlady 02-06-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machths
Less pleats means less area for trapping debris, which can create greater flow restrictions. Plus, FRAM is notorious for not using an anti-drain back design which means when you shut the vehicle off, the "dirty" unfiltered oil in the filter can drain back down into the oil pan, thus allowing "contaminated" oil to circulate in your engine. Somewhere on this website there is a thread that has a link to an "independent" study that someone did that breaks down several brands and models of oil filters and gives you the gouge on all of them. For example, the only difference between the Purolator Pure One filter and the standard Motorcraft filter is the price. They are the exact same filter, only one costs half as much. This study did say that FRAM makes one good filter, and I can't remember if it's the Double Guard, or Tough Guard, but one of those two were recommended. Interesting reading if you can find it. I used to use FRAM too, and I never had a problem with them, but the majority of the people that I've asked that are in the industry, whether it's auto repair, or parts sales, or racing, all seem to agree that FRAM is junk. Since this is my first "performance" car, I'm not taking any chances.

The spirit of your commentary about Fram, I agree with. Your specific points are subject to contention. Like your statement about the drainback valve. Wrong! They use one....Its just poorly designed.

machths 02-07-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmachlady
The spirit of your commentary about Fram, I agree with. Your specific points are subject to contention. Like your statement about the drainback valve. Wrong! They use one....Its just poorly designed.

You are correct, they have an anti-drain back valve...that doesn't work. It is the FRAM Tough Guard that is the only one considered acceptable. I found the link I was talking about too...

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

juno 04-12-2006 04:13 PM

Ahhh, first, the manufacturers switched to 5w-20 mainly because of CAFE .(corporate average fuel economy). Don't let them tell you anything else. Maybe they claim some other benefits, but CAFE is the main reason for the switch.

I live in a hot climate (south Florida) so I use 5w-30 RP.

They can't void your warranty for using something other than 5w-20 as long as it is API certified. The dealer can try to tell you different, but have him show you where it says that in the Magnuson-Moss Act. :)