2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NASCAR thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55315)

birdman941 02-14-2009 08:49 AM

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02mach1 (Post 1111429)
Have you notice old DW can't say Ford or Dodge and Chevy on tv but when a toycrap is in front. he saids it,:mrt: :12: :crazy:

It's pretty sickening, and MW is no better.
I find it hard to believe that ASSCAR is too cheap to repave Daytona.
It was in sad shape back in 1991 at the July 4 race (Elliott won! I was there),
and it still has not been repaved.
It can't be due to Brian "The Pansy" France can't afford it,
getting a free "built by Toiletta" Foreign azz Lexus and all.
About as un-American as a person can get,
aside from the treasonous Waltrips.

G 02-14-2009 09:39 AM

The best way to watch the race is either to view it on TV or in person but listen to MRN. The announcer staff is excellent, especially Joe Moore.

I take great pleasure hearing Joe mention the name of the best drivers in the world. He was the announcer at our home track (Langley Speedway, Va) MANY years ago.

http://www.racingone.com/mrn_anouncers.aspx

gbranton 02-14-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1111463)
I take great pleasure hearing Joe mention the name of the best drivers in the world.

Why would he talk about guys like Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso during a NASCAR broadcast?

G 02-14-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1111468)
Why would he talk about guys like Michael Schumacher, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso during a NASCAR broadcast?

Well, you answered your own question. :23:

Ask Montoya how easy NASCAR is? Or better yet, that long list of those who find their way back to open wheel racing.

I enjoy F1 and other forms of racing but there is no way to compare them. I think we can call your list great too but Joe would probably not mention them at a NASCAR event.

gbranton 02-14-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1111481)
Ask Montoya how easy NASCAR is? Or better yet, that long list of those who find their way back to open wheel racing.

Montoya is about the same in cup cars as he was in F1, good at times, average most of the time and ALWAYS close to an accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1111481)
I enjoy F1 and other forms of racing but there is no way to compare them.

I agree that it is difficult to compare them. I think to be truly great you have to win at everything you try and try some different types of racing, like Tazio Nuvolari, Juan Manuel Fangio, Mario Andretti, AJ Foyt or Dan Gurney.

I am impressed with Michael Schumacher racing Moto GP bikes under an assumed name and placing well in his first outing. I think he is easily the finest driver we've seen in quite some time.

02mach1 02-15-2009 12:11 PM

it's time for 500 Iam taking Carl #99 and Bill #21 today.

Azure Blurr 02-15-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02mach1 (Post 1111830)
it's time for 500 Iam taking Carl #99 and Bill #21 today.

I'm taking a nap!

I kid.....I'll watch parts of it or listen to it. I like to have it on out in the shop on the radio.

Thunderbolt 02-15-2009 12:48 PM

Unless Bill Elliott found the fountain of youth, I predict he'll be lucky to finish. The Wood Brothers have been washed up forever now.

2k4mach 02-15-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure Blurr (Post 1111838)
I'm taking a nap!

I kid.....I'll watch parts of it or listen to it. I like to have it on out in the shop on the radio.

im gonna go hang out in da garage with my kid lol

02mach1 02-15-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1111848)
Unless Bill Elliott found the fountain of youth, I predict he'll be lucky to finish. The Wood Brothers have been washed up forever now.

Bill has fastest car all week,

G 02-15-2009 01:47 PM

I need the weather to break so I can prep some parts. I have plenty to do in the garage and the race may as well be on. I'm hoping for Martin, Elliott, McMurray, Burton, Biffle, Sadler, Vickers, or Gordon (Robby Gordon).

It's nice having a bunch of drivers to pull for because back when I had just one they started dying on me. I was a huge Neil Bonnett fan then a Dale fan. Just in case I'm bad luck I decided to never have one favorite again. :wings:

G 02-15-2009 05:08 PM

Pretty big hit for the 20 car. At least he didn't cause the problem. The race is OK so far and my guys are doing good so far.

Thunderbolt 02-15-2009 06:30 PM

Must kill Digger! Must kill Digger!

Azure Blurr 02-15-2009 06:35 PM

Digger sucks! But the camera is sweet!

WTH was Brian and Jr. doing? :smack:

EDIT: Brian I meant

birdman941 02-15-2009 06:49 PM

Kenseth wins!

falcongtho3 02-15-2009 07:16 PM

Awesome to see Kenseth win, and give Jack his first Daytona 500 victory as well. I didn't realize he'd neve won it.

Obviously Jr. still thinks the rules don't apply to him. He needs to go ahead and retire.

Kyle finished exactly where he should have, if not farther back. Hopefully the remainder of the season will be as kind to him and the entire Toyota contengent.

JG and JJ are now finding out their honeymoon is over.

:borg:

gbranton 02-15-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1112027)
Obviously Jr. still thinks the rules don't apply to him. He needs to go ahead and retire.

Dale Earnhardt Jr = One of the most overrated drivers of all time. Almost as much as Richard Petty.

MachWonGuy 02-15-2009 08:20 PM

Too bad about the rain. Wonder if Nascar has ever looked into what it would take to race in the rain....

I think Dale played some dirty pool after being upset about his pits....

birdman941 02-15-2009 08:31 PM

88 took out a Toiletta.
Toiletta has no business being there anyway.

G 02-15-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1112041)
Dale Earnhardt Jr = One of the most overrated drivers of all time. Almost as much as Richard Petty.

I've never been a Petty fan but not only was he a great driver, he did it during a very tough era to drive. He beat the odds by making it out alive and in relatively good health. I watched him beat a bunch of awesome drivers at their home tracks in VA driving someone elses modified. It was common back then for GN drivers to make such appearances and someone would give them a car to drive. I saw him (in one weekend) win on dirt and pavement driving middle of the pack cars on tracks he had only seen a few times.

I'm not a JR fan either but he is a two time champion and had some pretty big shoes to fill. I don't think he has the same NEED to win that his dad had. I think the rules and the double yellow line had a lot to do with his issues today.

gbranton 02-15-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1112108)
That's a slap at the King of NASCAR!:anger: :anger:

IS YOUR LIFE INSURANCE PAID UP?:23: :23:

No one has (or will) approached Petty's mark of 200 wins, but most of those came in what was clearly the best car in the field. And he would drive anywhere, anytime, which allowed him to rack up plenty of easy wins. He often went to small, southern, dirt tracks just to win. (Like his victory on Aug. 8, 1962—a Wednesday—over 15 cars at the quarter-mile track in Huntsville, AL) He raced against local racers that were clearly overmatched by Petty's factory backed racecar in their homeade cars. You don't have a flat, fall several laps behind and then win by several laps because you are a better driver.

As for borrowing a latemodel or a modified and beating drivers on their home tracks, I have seen Red Farmer do that. It didn't make him the best ever in my eyes.

I'm not the only person who thinks Petty is overrated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...rry&id=3879980

At an age that I have seen many drivers win races (Harry Gant springs to mind), Petty was already a washed up backmarker who would spin himself out if anyone near him got out of shape around him. He drove like a scared old man when I first started watching NASCAR. If he hadn't piled up wins by running sixty times a year sometimes against little or no competition David Pearson might be considered "The King". No one has done more for the sport than Petty, but when it comes to sheer driving ability, I think there have been better drivers behind the wheel of a stock car.

I think Dale Earnhardt was the best I have ever seen.

FlyMACH1 02-15-2009 11:34 PM

I was at the race today - pretty good action while it lasted. Got to parking at 8:30am with a group of 15, had "several" adult beverages and worried about the rain all day. Would have been nice to see the usual banzai sprint to the finish. :eyes:

G 02-15-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1112182)
No one has (or will) approached Petty's mark of 200 wins, but most of those came in what was clearly the best car in the field. And he would drive anywhere, anytime, which allowed him to rack up plenty of easy wins. He often went to small, southern, dirt tracks just to win. (Like his victory on Aug. 8, 1962—a Wednesday—over 15 cars at the quarter-mile track in Huntsville, AL) He raced against local racers that were clearly overmatched by Petty's factory backed racecar in their homeade cars. You don't have a flat, fall several laps behind and then win by several laps because you are a better driver.

As for borrowing a latemodel or a modified and beating drivers on their home tracks, I have seen Red Farmer do that. It didn't make him the best ever in my eyes.

I'm not the only person who thinks Petty is overrated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...rry&id=3879980

At an age that I have seen many drivers win races (Harry Gant springs to mind), Petty was already a washed up backmarker who would spin himself out if anyone near him got out of shape around him. He drove like a scared old man when I first started watching NASCAR. If he hadn't piled up wins by running sixty times a year sometimes against little or no competition David Pearson might be considered "The King". No one has done more for the sport than Petty, but when it comes to sheer driving ability, I think there have been better drivers behind the wheel of a stock car.

I think Dale Earnhardt was the best I have ever seen.

Those 7 Daytona 500 wins were all against losers I guess. :23:

My dad is very good friends with David Pearson and he (Pearson) holds Petty in very high regard as a driver. What you miss is that ALL of those guys raced 4 times a week sometimes. Richard Petty, contrary to looking for easy wins was more interested in $$$$. If anything assisted Petty with wins it was the deaths of Glenn Roberts and Joe Weatherly. He also didn't have to deal with Curtis Turner and Tim Flock because of bans.

It would be very interesting to see Edward, Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and other current stars drive against Weatherly, Turner, Flock, Jr Johnson, Cale, Pearson, the Bakers, and the Pettys. If you put them all in the machines from the early sixties Weatherly would probably spank them all while puffin on a stogie. :23: Joe was also an AMA champion. :worship:

G 02-16-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyMACH1 (Post 1112198)
I was at the race today - pretty good action while it lasted. Got to parking at 8:30am with a group of 15, had "several" adult beverages and worried about the rain all day. Would have been nice to see the usual banzai sprint to the finish. :eyes:

I had a chance to go but my dad couldn't make it this year so I worked on the hot rod and watched it on the tube. :smokin:

Next year I think we're all going and it will be my youngest son's first BIG race. Unless we hit Talladega or Atlanta this year. :confused: