2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NFL Football Thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84561)

np_mach1 10-20-2010 11:07 AM

Re: NFL Football Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiler be (Post 1327434)
This week in the NFL.
With the ref's watching for the "the BIG HIT" this week, how many game will be changed by these kind of calls?
I agree the NFL needs to try to do something but another judgement call for the ref's..I'm not sure its going to work so well. The ref's have a hard enough time letting the fans know if it a touchdown, first down, catch, without a replay.
Seems like most of the players, now and in the past, are opposed to a old rule being enforced now.
Ditka said it best, if you want the players to stop leading with their helmet......take away their helmets...or a least the face mask. These Pretty boys aint gonna mess up their face. :23:

Just wondering what you guys think.

If you want to know the pure unadulterated truth?...

Here is a dialogue my brother and I had via e-mail this morning, and a post he made on NFL's website :

his comments: If the NFL goes forward with its policy of fining and suspending defensive players that hit offensive players for "helmet-to-helmet" hits it will ruin the game. Plain and simple. Over the past several years the NFL has implemented rules to protect offensive players (i.e., hits on the QB, horse collar, etc.). I understand touchdowns are exciting and make for good highlights, and also bring fans to the stands. However, so do defensive players. Fans like big hits and tough defenses as well. It's not just an offensive sport. The NFL should be very careful to not ruin the integrity of the game. This drastic "knee-jerk" reaction to a fluke weekend of injuries will have consequences for the NFL. AND not the kind the NFL wants. Policies such as these will drive fans away, both TV viewers and game attendees. I have reluctantly sat by and watched the NFL suck the fun out of the game and make rule changes that I find are wrong and disagree with, but nothing quite on this level. I can no longer sit by and watch the NFL ruin the game of football. This new policy of enforcing fines and suspensions on players for “helmet-to-helmet” hits will drastically change the game of football. The game I have loved since I was a child! If anyone from the NFL has any sense they will not go forward with this new policy. If you need an example look at NASCAR. They tried to go down this path of cleaning everything up from language the drivers use to how they drive. How has that worked out for them?? Not well. Viewership is down! Attendance is down! Sponsorship is down! Commissioner Goodell, I hope you realize that your actions on this matter will have unintended consequences. This on top of the potential lockout, will unfortunately drive away long time fans of the game. Please don't ruin the game that I and so many other fans love. It's a man's game for a reason; let men play the game like men do. That's why we all love it so much

My comments on the topic: The reality is most people complaining (like all of the anti- mike vick people) are not real football fans. Should there be a modification to the rules done? Yes, but there must be clearly defined rules and not things that are left up to interpretation. Harrison's hit should not be a penalty. Did he crush those guys, yeah 100% he did, but it was not with his head. Mohammad tucked up into a ball and that is the reason Harrison hit his upper chest head area. If he doesn't duck he doesn't get hit there. If the receivers don't want to get hit then don't go for the catch in traffic. Back in the day there weren't very many teams who threw to the middle of the field. There was a reason for that, because you knew people would get blown up. Furthermore, QB's are leading receivers into more and more bad situations. Perfect example was Kolb throwing that lay out pass to Jackson into zone coverage. Another, that was horrible, was when Q got his face crushed when Warner threw him up over the middle into the end zone. Face the facts if you throw the ball 50 times a game you are going to get big hits. If you don't want that to happen... run the ball more. Unfortunately that is not an option because the NFL wants this league to be an NBA/ Arena football-like league where high scoring and whipping the ball down field is exciting.

np_mach1 10-20-2010 11:23 AM

Also let me add I love this game. I have grown up with this game as a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I have played this sport on different levels, and the risk of being hurt is always present. I have injured my back, jaw, broken my hand, severely sprained ankles... and all of this for the love of the game, for me and my team mates. It was a choice I made. I knew the consequences.

The college and NFL game have turned into such a huge business that no one really cares about the "player safety" the care about $$$. Let’s try something NFL, since this "problem" isn't new. Invest a few million dollars every year for the next 5 years to develope and implement new equipment that will help reduce the risk of injury. If you start putting so many rules on these players on how and where to hit (although some are 100% needed) you might as well play 8 on 8 and put flags on them.

It is too hard to adjust your body mid collision to what the other person is doing. What, should you hug them to the turf? Please!

kiler be 10-20-2010 07:06 PM

:agree: With all of your points. :CHEERS:
The NFL is going up a very slippery slop here.
The players are so BIG and Fast some of these hit can't be helped. Its the way the game has evolved, the way the NFL wanted it to evolve.
The equipment has not kept pace with the size and speed of the players.

I love the game, I WAS a nascar fan for many years. I agree with your point that The NFL should take notice of how they have ruined that sport.
Guess we will see what happens this Sunday.

Firebreed05 10-24-2010 04:32 PM

Good god did the Saints play horrible today. Drew Brees wasn't just shooting his team in the foot.......he turned the gun around and stuck the barrel in their mouth. Looks like this franchise's ole karma has finally caught up to their unprecedented championship caliber. They are now operating exactly like the Saints of the 90's...........no great win goes without a horrible massacre to punctuate it. I literally could not watch it anymore......turned the game off at halftime. Looks like Superbowl hangover has claimed another championship team.

Ah well...at least I lived long enough to see them go to the big show once. :smokin:

Thunderbolt 10-24-2010 05:13 PM

Good job Browns. Let's see if the Steelers can continue the trend next week.

kiler be 10-24-2010 06:11 PM

Redskins win!!!! That had to be one of the worst games ever played in NFL history..........Just plan UGLY.
But a win is a win amd those ugly games were the games the Skins have lost for the last 20 years.

mach1metalhead 10-24-2010 06:19 PM

i've been staying away from this thread as i'm not usually a proud fan, but nonetheless always a fan...

Go Vikings!

on another note, here's a joke on my favorite team...

(completely fake)
Deanna Farve - "Those texts were meant for me, but you know Brett, he's always getting intercepted."

bris09 10-24-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiler be (Post 1328746)
Redskins win!!!! That had to be one of the worst games ever played in NFL history..........Just plan UGLY.
But a win is a win amd those ugly games were the games the Skins have lost for the last 20 years.

Every win this year has been ugly.

02mach1 10-24-2010 09:55 PM

Will next sunday night be good one Steelers vs Saints :mrt:

65fastback2+2 10-24-2010 10:00 PM

hope all you steelers are happy at that BS call that shoulda been miami ball

Thunderbolt 10-25-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 (Post 1328803)
hope all you steelers are happy at that BS call that shoulda been miami ball

:eyes: A Cowpie fan needs his diaper changed.

falcongtho3 10-25-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02mach1 (Post 1328801)
Will next sunday night be good one Steelers vs Saints :mrt:

Great, now we can hand the Steelers a win as well. Man are we bad or what?

:borg:

kiler be 10-25-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bris09 (Post 1328776)
Every win this year has been ugly.

:agree: Now that we have Mcnabb, we need shorter receivers.All of his short passes go right in the dirt. He is still SO much better than what we've had around here for years.

4 wins = all our wins last year. :)

Firebreed05 10-25-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1328852)
Great, now we can hand the Steelers a win as well. Man are we bad or what?

:borg:

Naw, Saints should be ok for that one. They only suck at playing crappy teams.:SMASH:

Thunderbolt 10-25-2010 10:42 PM

Oh Noes, Rhomo is hurt! Superbowl dreams are crushed. :rolleyes:

kiler be 10-26-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1329090)

:23::23::23: Yeah, he's gonna be the missing part. :23:

MRS.SHKR 10-26-2010 10:26 AM

could we possibly suck anymore? WTF cowboys...

Thunderbolt 10-26-2010 11:08 AM

^^^ Hey look, Jerry Jones is putting his foot down.

65fastback2+2 10-26-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1329090)

sadly, yup, my season is over

gbranton 10-26-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 (Post 1329243)

It was over BEFORE the broken bone.

02mach1 10-26-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 (Post 1329243)

Cryboys same has the Lions record they fight for number 1 draft pick now. lol:loser:

MRS.SHKR 10-27-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1329234)
^^^ Hey look, Jerry Jones is putting his foot down.

you trying to say I have man legs? :P

np_mach1 10-27-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRS.SHKR (Post 1329489)
you trying to say I have man legs? :P

Why women always do this. My approach is just say huh, no, and then stop talking at ALL costs. :teeth:

Big Ron 10-27-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1329403)
It was over BEFORE the broken bone.

thank goodness for The Texas Rangers!

Big Ron :santa:

MRS.SHKR 10-27-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by np_mach1 (Post 1329521)
Why women always do this. My approach is just say huh, no, and then stop talking at ALL costs. :teeth:

Good boy! *pats head* :31: