2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause. (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74655)

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 08:50 PM

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1 (Post 1305634)
Im not following anyone :smack:,not even Bill since i have been using Steeda UD since day 1. But the fact does remain that Bill does have a Mach and we all know that on this site . The fact that you said he did not ,just shows how dumb you were after he gave you proof. :23:

Have you seen the title with his name on it?

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade (Post 1305657)
can anyone give this little girl a vacation so she can get her panties out of a bunch?

:butt: Kiss it.

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1305660)
Bill's a bit harsh sometimes, and it takes a little while to get his humor and sarcasm, but he dead-on nuts smart about this shite.

You, on the other hand, are simply a douche.

:butt: lick it.

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1305661)
:23::23::23:

This **** late night work SUCKS!

I'm glad I give you such laughs! :crazy:

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott McClure (Post 1305675)
Why your at it would you like to question how fast my car is?

Sure, timeslips and videos?

acreature 07-30-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1305889)
:butt: Kiss it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1305891)
:butt: lick it.

Ohmagawd.... he done got us, he done got us real good.

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1305900)
Ohmagawd.... he done got us, he done got us real good.

And you got me so good, I'm hurt. :(

WhiteautoMach 07-30-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1305914)
I don't think it's a HE.:claus:

You are so funny, ZZ top! I'm a guy.

Scott McClure 07-30-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1305893)
Sure, timeslips and videos?

Absolutely, a good three seconds better than your times as a matter of fact. ;)

HOOKERFTW 12-21-2010 11:59 AM

crap i just bought bbk udp's that sux :smack: good thing i read this before i installed them thanks guys

matthayn 02-23-2011 12:18 PM

i have steeda UDPs on my 5-speed... just bought it a week ago but i know they have been on there for about 10k miles or so no problems.... after reading this stuff im thinking about putting the stocks back on though

xXAzureMach1Xx 02-23-2011 12:42 PM

I never had a problem with mine and had 25,000ish miles on them.

4a7191a 02-23-2011 08:37 PM

i thought this thing was locked, oh well. i think the march fluidamper is the shiznit. its weights almost a pound over the stocker and its gotta be a better dampner.

matthayn 03-08-2011 01:26 PM

is it normal for UDPs to create more engine noise than normal? im getting a sort of winding up sound and up until around 2k rpms thats mostly what i hear... i just have a catback exhaust so its not that loud but i feel like im getting more engine noise than normal :confused:

SchwermoRacing 05-03-2011 08:22 PM

I have the March crank, pulley, and the R WP and PS pulley.

30,000 miles including daily 6.5k pulls, and many track runs. Not a problem.

RedRocket 09-13-2011 10:24 AM

I'm getting my Steede pulleys installed this Friday, can't wait!!

rone77 07-12-2012 04:47 PM

so have we deciced are these steeda pulleys safe or not?

tmhutch 07-12-2012 05:13 PM

"Safe" is a relative term. Steeda dampers are "safer" after they increased the diameter but alot of guys think that as long as a part doesnt blow their engine up right away it must be fine. Uncontrolled, or poorly controlled harmonics can do alot of damage over time before something actually breaks or a bearing fails. Unfortunately when this happens it's often attributed to something else. I wouldnt run the Steeda or March above 6500 RPM.

If you want complete protection run the stock piece with larger pulley's on the accessories. If you want superior protection, get a full size ATI damper.

Ultimately guys jeopardize their engines longevity in the pursuit of horsepower. That's hot rodding. But it's usually in the form of power adders that deliver 100's of horsepower, not 3 or 4. Don't let me or anyone else tell you what to do with your car. Look at the facts and decide for yourself.

Sublimemach 07-23-2012 11:20 AM

FYI

I went with march pulleys.

One of them flew off on the dyno, hit my power steering hose. Now im losing power steering fluid. Have to replace the hose.

Car has been in the shop two weeks. it was done a week ago, been working on the pulley issue ever since monday. WHAT A PAIN>>>

NEVER DO PULLEYS> not worth the trouble at all! :eek:

Apollo240 09-28-2012 11:37 AM

How long does it take for the oil pump failure to happen? Meaning is this something that happens over time or is it all of a sudden. We are looking at some cars, most have UDP's and im wondering if we take them off if it will be safe or there has already been damage done.

Ben99GT 09-28-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo240 (Post 1511371)
How long does it take for the oil pump failure to happen? Meaning is this something that happens over time or is it all of a sudden. We are looking at some cars, most have UDP's and im wondering if we take them off if it will be safe or there has already been damage done.

Get a billet gear oil pump, problem solved.

Oil pump failure gives you no warning, you'll be racing someone (or riding down the road) and all of the sudden you'll have no oil pressure. Short block damage is usually limited to main/rod bearings if you shut it down quickly enough, the real pain comes from the cam journals/cams, often resulting in heads and cams that are toasted beyond repair in a matter of seconds after oil pressure is lost at speed.

Apollo240 09-28-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben99GT (Post 1511374)
Get a billet gear oil pump, problem solved.

Oil pump failure gives you no warning, you'll be racing someone (or riding down the road) and all of the sudden you'll have no oil pressure. Short block damage is usually limited to main/rod bearings if you shut it down quickly enough, the real pain comes from the cam journals/cams, often resulting in heads and cams that are toasted beyond repair in a matter of seconds after oil pressure is lost at speed.

So its impossible to tell if theres been any damage done already, it can just fail out of the blue? So taking the udp's off really wont help them?

Just looked up the pump, thats expensive and she dont want a car shes instantly gotta put money into. If putting the stock pullies on wont fix this issue, ill guess we may have to pass.

tmhutch 09-28-2012 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good point, Ben.

I'll add that the pullies on the accessories are fine. They dont cause any problems. It is the smaller diameter harmonic damper that bolts on the end of the crank that creates issues. This is primarily a DOHC engine problem. Failures have occured on SOHC GT engines but not like the Cobra/Mach engines. Just make sure she's not running a small diameter damper like the old style Steeda shown on the right in the picture below. Pictured are ATI, stock and Steeda.

A budget $100 damper wont control harmonics like a quality unit but the new Steeda with increased mass, and the fluid filled unit from March are not likely to grenade the engine if RPM's are kept below 6500. Fortunately most people are aware of these limitations and have compensated accordingly.

Over time an inferior damper will accelerate wear in the crank and connecting rod bearings but many people arent thinking in terms of 50,000 miles.

One simple thing she can do if putting a stock or better damper back on is out of the question is to run the best 5W-30 or thicker oil available. Red Line is probably the best you can get. Mobil 1 synthetic is better than non-synthetics but wont protect rod and main bearings like Red Line or the top shelf options from Amsoil.

tmhutch 09-28-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo240 (Post 1511376)
So taking the udp's off really wont help them? If putting the stock pullies on wont fix this issue, ill guess we may have to pass.

Putting the stock damper back on will prevent any further accelerated wear and greatly reduce chances of oil pump failure. Oil pumps fail on sevaral other makes of cars that have DOHC's and use the crankshaft as a drive mechanism so it's not that uncommon. Just dont run a cheap damper in conjunction with high RPM, nitrous or blowers and the engine will live a long happy life.

lee1rbc 01-30-2013 09:29 PM

I bought my 01 Cobra with BBK pulleys on it. The previous owner said he put them on a month before I got the car. 7 months later my oil pump came apart and destroyed my motor. 80k miles, only used mobil 1.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps34e31e6b.jpg

tmhutch 02-08-2013 11:22 PM

Brutal.

SchwermoRacing 03-04-2013 10:12 PM

How much would it be to get the gears and have them installed by a shop?

tmhutch 03-04-2013 10:54 PM

Probably cost $200 - $300 in labor on the high side.

OWmach1 03-17-2013 02:25 AM

My replacement came with bbk UD pulleys. I took the crank off and replaced it with my old stock one because it looked very disturbing and just weird with the longer bolt. I left the water pump on. Is that going to effect anything?

tmhutch 03-17-2013 03:13 AM

Larger pulley's on the accessories works well but it's a good idea to get the correct length belt to keep the correct belt tension.

OWmach1 03-17-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhutch (Post 1538109)
Larger pulley's on the accessories works well but it's a good idea to get the correct length belt to keep the correct belt tension.

Yeah i tried my belt and it didn't fit. Anyone know what size belt to run with stock everything except for the water pump pulley?

tmhutch 03-18-2013 05:26 AM

The best way is to install the stock pulley and run a seamstress tape around the entire route of the belt and take a measurement. Do the same with the larger pulley and note the difference then look for a belt that matches.

OWmach1 09-03-2013 03:17 AM

Is this the bbk style ud pulley that causes oil pump failure as well even if the engine is being shifted @ 6k?

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qtl5hc.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/33k4uhu.jpg

tmhutch 09-03-2013 04:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of those because they often don't center accurately but I don't think any underdrive damper will destroy an engine kept at 6k or under. On a 4.6 the strong harmonics don't kick in until 6500 RPM.

OWmach1 09-03-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmhutch (Post 1559490)
I'm not a big fan of those because they often don't center accurately but I don't think any underdrive damper will destroy an engine kept at 6k or under. On a 4.6 the strong harmonics don't kick in until 6500 RPM.

I ordered MARCH pulleys, but I got a email back saying it's back ordered so I just cancelled it and plan on getting some later on.

4a7191a 09-10-2013 01:12 AM

Even the 99 cobra guys had problems with the bbk ud pulley . :/ hope your motor wasnt completely trashed mam. :(

drewzx3 12-26-2014 09:46 AM

With all 4 March pullies do you have to run a different belt?

96gt02 12-26-2014 12:25 PM

Yes all 4 you need a 950k6 belt, if you do all three besides the alt its a 945k6, if you only do the march dampner its a923k6 FYI

OWmach1 03-24-2015 08:56 PM

What do you guys think of the summit racing ud pulley? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../model/mustang

4a7191a 03-29-2015 10:56 PM

Honestly I'd run March fluidamper or ati only on these motors.
One thing I liked about the March is that it weighed more than the stock damper.