2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NFL Football Thread (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84561)

FordMan 02-03-2010 08:27 AM

Re: NFL Football Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebreed05 (Post 1244626)
Nah, the Cowboys don't bother me. Calling them "America's Team" bothers me....but that's about it. I guess maybe the Boy's fans should be pulling for the Saints.....so they can claim to be one of the proud and few that managed to beat the Superbowl Champions. :D

I agree with you, they are not "America's Team" by any stretch. The Atlanta Braves used to go by that moniker also.

Actually I'm a Lions fan, and they definately are not America's Team (at least not yet) by any means LOL.

falcongtho3 02-03-2010 10:24 PM

Being a Lions fan now and a being a Saints fan for the last 40-odd years are not all that different. At least your fans (the ones that actually do attend games) don't wear paper bags over their headslike we saw back in the days of the Aints. It will get better!

:borg:

gbranton 02-06-2010 12:43 AM

Speaking of Lions fans, the Chicago Bears hired a new defensive coordinator today......... Rod Marinelli. I AM SO THRILLED I COULD JUST PUKE. He was d-line coach and since the defense did SO WELL last year (21st in points allowed, 17th in yards allowed, 13th in pass yards allowed and 23rd in rushing yards allowed) they made the obvious decision that they needed to promote from within!!!! Fantastic!!!! I need a boat captain, where's the captain of the Exxon Valdez?

This dovetails nicely with their decision to hire ANOTHER one of Lovie Smith's out of work buddies to be the offensive coordinator, Mike Martz, who was fired from his last three gigs. He will lineup five wideouts on nearly every play. That will leave five o-linemen who couldn't block when there were seven of them to get Jay Cutler maimed and end his career WAY before we get any real value out of him.

So to recap, we have those two castoffs, plus Mike Tice, another failed head coach and some dudes I have never heard of to turn the team around.

Lovie is like a seventeen year old, I can imagine the conversation:

Lovie: "You got fired again?"

Rod (or Mike or any of his other buddies he has drug through Chicago): "Yeah man, it sucks can you hook me up?"

Lovie: "Dude, how did you get fired again?"

Rod: "I dunno, they kept sayin' something about 10 and 38 and then 0 and 16. Man I don't know, they just suck."

Lovie: "It's cool man, let me talk to the owner, they're idiots dude, I should be able to hook you up."

Rod: "Cool."

The only good that come out of all this is that hopefully after this 5-11 season it will be the blessed end of the Lovie Smith show in Chicago and we can look forward to the Bears hiring Raheem Morris to guide them to a 4-12 season in 2011.

2k4mach 02-06-2010 12:48 AM

New Orleans needs to win cuz 99.21% of the people just want to see Kim Kardashian jumping up and down :23: :claus:

gbranton 02-06-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k4mach (Post 1245795)
New Orleans needs to win cuz 99.21% of the people just want to see Kim Kardashian jumping up and down :23: :claus:

I thought 99.11% had already seen it.

falcongtho3 02-06-2010 07:50 AM

Great...just what we need, our own version of Dallas' Jessica Simpson curse.

65fastback2+2 02-06-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebreed05 (Post 1244626)
Nah, the Cowboys don't bother me. Calling them "America's Team" bothers me....but that's about it. I guess maybe the Boy's fans should be pulling for the Saints.....so they can claim to be one of the proud and few that managed to beat the Superbowl Champions. :D

They've been called America's team since 1978 and were first referred to as that by the current VP of NFL Films

In 1979 during their game vs. the Cardinals the CBS Announcer referred to them as America's Team

They are also #1 in the NFL for franchise value passing every other team by leaps and bounds at $1.5 billion. This gives credence to the fact they probably have the largest fan following of any NFL franchise.

Really though, "America's Team" is a 30+ year old tradition....you should let it go

KEVINC66 02-06-2010 09:53 AM

Well I always thought they reenforced the America's Team label by being #1 in America in drug arrests(the 90's):23: :23:

02mach1 02-06-2010 01:08 PM

The weather looks good for Superbowl

gbranton 02-06-2010 01:43 PM

The "America's Team" label is an anachronism, as stated above it was created by the media back in the days when they controlled what came into your living room. Back then when somebody like Brent Musbuerger or Walter Chronkite told us how to think, that's how it was and we had nowhere else to go for information. In today's world fans can follow their teams with NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius satellite radio, streaming webcasts and a wealth of alternate media available to us. It allows us to follow whatever team we choose no matter where we live, so to say that there is one "America's Team" is nonsense. Do they have the most fans? Who knows, or who cares?

Dale Earnhardt Jr has more fans that any other NASCAR driver pricipally because he has a name that annoying fanboys can easily latch onto, just like the Cowboys. Just like the Cowboys, he hasn't won anything important in a long time. Is he "America's Driver". No.

I happen to think many Cowboys fans never try to think about what appeals to their values or what they can identify with in some way, they just go the easy route, pick an established "winner" and grab the biggest, lowest swinging nut they can find and hang on for dear life without giving a single thought to how the teams were built and established or the faces behind the logos.

Firebreed05 02-06-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 (Post 1245836)

Really though, "America's Team" is a 30+ year old tradition....you should let it go

It's a 30 year old crock of chit. As far as I'm concerned they never have nor ever will be worthy of such a title....nor is any other single sports collective. Luckily, the media in recent years picked up on the fact that while the Cowboys may have alot of fans, they've also generated an equal (if not greater) amount of haters................ironically, as a result of them being continuously referred to over the years as "America's team".

2k4mach 02-06-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1245797)
I thought 99.11% had already seen it.

not every1 has seen her p0rno vid sucka :smack: :23:

65fastback2+2 02-06-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1245891)
The "America's Team" label is an anachronism, as stated above it was created by the media back in the days when they controlled what came into your living room. Back then when somebody like Brent Musbuerger or Walter Chronkite told us how to think, that's how it was and we had nowhere else to go for information. In today's world fans can follow their teams with NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius satellite radio, streaming webcasts and a wealth of alternate media available to us. It allows us to follow whatever team we choose no matter where we live, so to say that there is one "America's Team" is nonsense. Do they have the most fans? Who knows, or who cares?

Dale Earnhardt Jr has more fans that any other NASCAR driver pricipally because he has a name that annoying fanboys can easily latch onto, just like the Cowboys. Just like the Cowboys, he hasn't won anything important in a long time. Is he "America's Driver". No.

I happen to think many Cowboys fans never try to think about what appeals to their values or what they can identify with in some way, they just go the easy route, pick an established "winner" and grab the biggest, lowest swinging nut they can find and hang on for dear life without giving a single thought to how the teams were built and established or the faces behind the logos.

I was just stating the facts. Ive never referred to them as America's Team or even cared. But i just get aggravated at the fact most people act like the fans created it in the 90's or something.

And I hope your last paragraph isnt referring to me. I was born and raised in Texas. To me, the cowboys are the home team....I'll always love em win or lose.

falcongtho3 02-07-2010 11:24 AM

65f/b, I'm proud of the fact you've stood by your team, win or lose. So amny would find a way to bow out and pretend that the season didn't end on the note it did. I remember the years that Miami was 'the' team, then the 49ers, and so forth. It's easy to jump on a band wagon, and just as easy to bail off. You haven't.

But today, it's the day. We've waited over 40 years for it. The pride in this state is tremendous. The black and gold colors are painted all over the state (as well as Miami from what I've seen). There is an insanity that makes Mardi Gras look like a tea party. People are packed in New Orleans just to be there. It's jammed.

My hope is a win, most certainly. Do I blind myself to the facts, the stats and the opinions of the 'experts'? Certainly not. Is that going to change my opinion of who I root for? Certainly not. Am I going to be mad if we lose? Not really. We got this far, and only one other team did that this year. This is a year of memorable games, both good and bad. But at least this years it's mostly good.

So to everyone here. Enjoy the game. Root for your favorite. Spend the time with friends and family and talk smack. It's gonna be fun!

And:
Who Dat!
Bless ya' boys.
Black and Gold in the Super Bowl.
There's a Brees blowin' into Miami.
Mainning on the ground!
Who Dat says we can't put Who Dat on a T-Shirt!?
(And if I can think of other recent cliche's, I'll post them, too!)

65fastback2+2 02-07-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3 (Post 1246122)
65f/b, I'm proud of the fact you've stood by your team, win or lose. So amny would find a way to bow out and pretend that the season didn't end on the note it did. I remember the years that Miami was 'the' team, then the 49ers, and so forth. It's easy to jump on a band wagon, and just as easy to bail off. You haven't.

But today, it's the day. We've waited over 40 years for it. The pride in this state is tremendous. The black and gold colors are painted all over the state (as well as Miami from what I've seen). There is an insanity that makes Mardi Gras look like a tea party. People are packed in New Orleans just to be there. It's jammed.

My hope is a win, most certainly. Do I blind myself to the facts, the stats and the opinions of the 'experts'? Certainly not. Is that going to change my opinion of who I root for? Certainly not. Am I going to be mad if we lose? Not really. We got this far, and only one other team did that this year. This is a year of memorable games, both good and bad. But at least this years it's mostly good.

So to everyone here. Enjoy the game. Root for your favorite. Spend the time with friends and family and talk smack. It's gonna be fun!

And:
Who Dat!
Bless ya' boys.
Black and Gold in the Super Bowl.
There's a Brees blowin' into Miami.
Mainning on the ground!
Who Dat says we can't put Who Dat on a T-Shirt!?
(And if I can think of other recent cliche's, I'll post them, too!)

hehe...thanks for the comment...doesnt mean imma take it easy on you though

After today, what will the Colts and Cowboys have in common?

they both beat the Saints

gbranton 02-07-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebreed05 (Post 1245909)
Luckily, the media in recent years picked up on the fact that while the Cowboys may have alot of fans, they've also generated an equal (if not greater) amount of haters................ironically, as a result of them being continuously referred to over the years as "America's team".

"New Orleans linebacker Scott Fujita left the Cowboys after the 2005 season and signed with the Saints seven months after Katrina.

"The Saints are America's adopted team. There's no question about it," he said. "When I chose to leave Dallas, everybody said, 'Why would you leave Dallas? They're America's team.'

"Well, they were self-proclaimed America's Team a couple decades ago, and they have really, really good, loyal fans, but the rest of the country hates them. I mean, let's be honest," he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100207/...america_s_team

65fastback2+2 02-07-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbranton (Post 1246202)
"New Orleans linebacker Scott Fujita left the Cowboys after the 2005 season and signed with the Saints seven months after Katrina.

"The Saints are America's adopted team. There's no question about it," he said. "When I chose to leave Dallas, everybody said, 'Why would you leave Dallas? They're America's team.'

"Well, they were self-proclaimed America's Team a couple decades ago, and they have really, really good, loyal fans, but the rest of the country hates them. I mean, let's be honest," he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100207/...america_s_team

and most of America is SICK of the Katrina junk....hence why im pulling for the colts

Thunderbolt 02-07-2010 07:54 PM

That was absolutely stupid for the Saints to go for it on 4th down. It's not like it was 2:00 minutes left in the 4th Quarter. They had a chance to cut the lead and stay close with it still being way early. It should be 10-9.

KEVINC66 02-07-2010 09:32 PM

What a time to throw an INT, looks like my Saints might pull this out, oh wait I'm a Deadskin fan.Well lets hope for a close finish.

65fastback2+2 02-07-2010 09:36 PM

gahhh....i dont really hate the stains...but I am SICK of "they should win because of all they dealt with from Katrina"

Firebreed05 02-07-2010 09:52 PM

WHo the hell cares about Katrina. Nobody down in Louisiana drones on and on about that anymore. We've moved on. YOu can thank the stupid media for all that crap.

That being said, it's official.............the Colts did NOT run all over the Saints. :butt:

The better team was gonna win this thing....and that's exactly what happened. Respect owed...:worship:

24kmach 02-07-2010 10:04 PM

Saints Win Super Bowl XLIV :worship: :COOL: :D :yeh:

65fastback2+2 02-07-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebreed05 (Post 1246251)
WHo the hell cares about Katrina. Nobody down in Louisiana drones on and on about that anymore. We've moved on. YOu can thank the stupid media for all that crap.

Ya...thats why the Saints owner's speech just now included "The city and state has been through a lot and deserves this".....i guess he's media?

Firebreed05 02-07-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 (Post 1246256)
Ya...thats why the Saints owner's speech just now included "The city and state has been through a lot and deserves this".....i guess he's media?

Oh man, are you kidding me? Now that the Saints have proved themselves all you detractors can complain about is the Katrina thing???? Are you kidding me? Whatever man. Complain all you want. Nobody down here cares.

It's all over. Let the haters keep hating. Us Saints fans have some proper celebrating to do.:smokin:

65fastback2+2 02-07-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebreed05 (Post 1246258)
Oh man, are you kidding me? Now that the Saints have proved themselves all you detractors can complain about is the Katrina thing???? Are you kidding me? Whatever man. Complain all you want. Nobody down here cares.

It's all over. Let the haters keep hating. Us Saints fans have some proper celebrating to do.:smokin:

im a cowboys fan and could care less who won the superbowl

but im not kidding you that im sick of the katrina thing....just like i was sick of freeny's ankle